{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Grimsby scorefred sponsored by let’s keep winning

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Grimsby scorefred sponsored by let’s keep winning

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:18 pm

bear 73 wrote:Like all football matches a game can be turned on its head, Pym makes some good saves and we get a deflected goal, but to be fair we have a team that can adapt to challengers.
And in the end a comfortable win, and spending Xmas in the top 3 put the icing on the cake .
A lot of games are won in midfield this is the engine room of a team and Brunt has added a new spark to a very effective unit.
The more we shine the bigger the incentive for the opposition to dull our effectiveness putting that extra yard in and being very competitive , to stop our gallop.
Every game is a challenge for us,
We have 5 strikers and 4 who are playing a bit part role, at the moment.
We are creating chances because of our style of play, and having another striker works only if we lose one, and the only one playing regular is Akins, and he is going nowhere.
I feel its the goals against column the team is built around with the demise that this team is capable of scoring.
Clean sheets means points,
So January will be interesting i can see someone coming in, If someone leaves. .

extremely confused.. Gazza says we have 7 strikers and you say we have 5, perhaps we better ask Nigel how many we have
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:21 pm

I think there's a lot of this going about at the moment where managers just throw anyone up front. We've seen Flint go up front on a number of occasions. Stockport County last week threw Jayden Richardson on as a sub up front and he's a right back. I wonder if there's something new in the coaching manual that says anyone can be a striker these days ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:38 pm

For me a decent striker will score say 1 every 2 games so roughly 20 a season and a back up forward will bag 1 every 3, so about 15 goals. Our midfielders and defenders are getting most of ours currently. Hence I am in the 'get one recruited in January' camp for the final push
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFC Man » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:58 pm

chimneyboy wrote:For me a decent striker will score say 1 every 2 games so roughly 20 a season and a back up forward will bag 1 every 3, so about 15 goals. Our midfielders and defenders are getting most of ours currently. Hence I am in the 'get one recruited in January' camp for the final push

Oates and Akins don't score loads but they do their fair share of work, Akins is brilliant at holding up the ball and Oates will chase everything down, I don't think DKD scores nearly as many without them two.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:32 pm

chimneyboy wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Like all football matches a game can be turned on its head, Pym makes some good saves and we get a deflected goal, but to be fair we have a team that can adapt to challengers.
And in the end a comfortable win, and spending Xmas in the top 3 put the icing on the cake .
A lot of games are won in midfield this is the engine room of a team and Brunt has added a new spark to a very effective unit.
The more we shine the bigger the incentive for the opposition to dull our effectiveness putting that extra yard in and being very competitive , to stop our gallop.
Every game is a challenge for us,
We have 5 strikers and 4 who are playing a bit part role, at the moment.
We are creating chances because of our style of play, and having another striker works only if we lose one, and the only one playing regular is Akins, and he is going nowhere.
I feel its the goals against column the team is built around with the demise that this team is capable of scoring.
Clean sheets means points,
So January will be interesting i can see someone coming in, If someone leaves. .

extremely confused.. Gazza says we have 7 strikers and you say we have 5, perhaps we better ask Nigel how many we have

6 forwards. DKD, Akins, Oates, Swan, Bowery and Gale.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:04 pm

The Stags were a little fortunate to be 2-0 up at half time as Grimsby had some good chances to score. Rekiel Pyke had a couple of chances for the Mariners early on but they went straight to Christy Pym with Callum Johnson covering around the back doing his best to block the shots. Arthur Gnahoua hit the post and Kieran Green hit the bar. Christy Pym also had to make two great saves from Arthur Gnahoua and Harvey Rodgers. However Mansfield also created plenty of chances and had 18 attempts on goal in the 1st half compared to 7 for Grimsby. Davis Keillor Dunn scored his 13th league goal of the season and George Maris' screamer from 30 yards was his 6th league goal of the season. Lucas Akins, Callum Johnson, Aden Flint, Davis Keillor Dunn and George Maris all had good chances to score. Callum Johnson was a little unlucky as his shot seemed to hit the Grimsby keeper Harvey Cartwright in the face.

Mansfield completely dominated the 2nd half but were let down by some poor finishing. Harvey Cartwright also made some very good saves. Davis Keillor Dunn could have scored four or five goals. Mansfield had an amazing 39 attempts on goal in total.

The sponsors gave Lewis Brunt MOM and I agreed. George Maris was also a contender with an assist and the crucial 2nd goal. Aden Flint and Baily Cargill played well in the centre of defence. Christy Pym made some vital saves. Callum Johnson also had a good 1st half and was unlucky to be subbed at half time because he picked up a yellow card.

Good to see Stags legend Craig Disley from Tuxford at the game doing the commentary for BBC Radio Humberside. 109 (35) league games and 16 goals for the Stags. He made 214(20) league apps for Grimsby and scored 34 goals. He also made 171(32) league apps for Bristol Rovers scoring 25 goals. He played in midfield in the last Mansfield Town team to be promoted from League 2 in 2001-2002 along with Liam Lawrence, Lee Williamson, Wayne Corden and a young Adam Murray.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:26 pm

Was Dave Caldwell at the match, I saw a car with a parking permit on the windscreen with his name written on it .
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum