{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Grimsby scorefred sponsored by let’s keep winning

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Grimsby scorefred sponsored by let’s keep winning

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:38 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:41 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::lol:

Should have been 4-1 up and have two stonewall penalties?
Big Dave had too much sherry with his Christmas dinner??
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:54 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Where has artlell got two stonewall penos from?

Bearing in mind he was screaming for the game to be stopped for a head injury when their player was clutching his shoulder after Quinn steamrollered him, I would take his words with a pound of salt
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:01 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:We played some absolutely stunning football there, missed some unreal chances but the creativity has just been a joy to watch.

37 shots for the second time this season. Not even Man City have managed that.

Brilliant to a man but special mention to Brunt who looks a real class act in that midfield role.

I know folk are crying out for a signing and I get the logic behind it BUT... we're 10 points better off, we've scored 10 goals more and conceded 6vgoals less than this stage last season.

Honestly I'd be so tempted to leave things well alone. This squad is just fantastic.

you don’t want a striker ? wow

It's not that I don't want one. I want one.

You'd have to be blind not to see we miss too many chances. The issue for me and I guess the challenge for Nigel and the recruitment team is can they find one who fits our style and isn't just an out and out poacher.

I also wonder who would be dropped. DKD has missed two absolute sitters today and is generally wasteful but then has games where he pops up with goals that take your breath away.

Do we "need" another striker? I'm not sure.

Would I like another striker? Yes please.

Do I think we'll sign another forward? Yes I do.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:31 pm

broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:We played some absolutely stunning football there, missed some unreal chances but the creativity has just been a joy to watch.

Brilliant to a man but special mention to Brunt who looks a real class act in that midfield role.

I know folk are crying out for a signing and I get the logic behind it BUT... we're 10 points better off, we've scored 10 goals more and conceded 6vgoals less than this stage last season.

Honestly I'd be so tempted to leave things well alone. This squad is just fantastic.

You'd have to be blind not to see we miss too many chances. The issue for me and I guess the challenge for Nigel and the recruitment team is can they find one who fits our style and isn't just an out and out poacher.

I also wonder who would be dropped. DKD has missed two absolute sitters today and is generally wasteful but then has games where he pops up with goals that take your breath away.

What would be the point
He's not gonna drop Dkd or Akins for any reason. So we want to sign another forward to compete with Swan for the last minutes of a game or compete with Oates for the last 10-15.

Where does this new forward fit into the squad?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:34 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

What would be the point
He's not gonna drop Dkd or Akins for any reason. So we want to sign another forward to compete with Swan for the last minutes of a game or compete with Oates for the last 10-15.

Last January we signed Kilgour, Johnson & Reed, who were all signed with an eye on 23/24 & (but for Kilgour's injury) who are key players this season.

Any signings made in January IMP will be done with the same strategy in mind, it won't be plugging gaps to get us through to the end of the season, it'll be with with the next season or two in mind as much as the next 4 months.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:51 pm

broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Completely agree, as I think do most of us. I can't quite get my head around anyone not wanting to improve our squad. Yes it has to be the right man, but if we are going to strengthen, up front is where we should be looking first.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:12 pm

Sneag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

What would be the point

Last January we signed Kilgour, Johnson & Reed, who were all signed with an eye on 23/24 & (but for Kilgour's injury) who are key players this season.

Any signings made in January IMP will be done with the same strategy in mind, it won't be plugging gaps to get us through to the end of the season, it'll be with with the next season or two in mind as much as the next 4 months.

And for me, that would be the right strategy.

Akins will be closer to 40 rather than 30 come the start of next season. If we find ourselves in League One, the demands on him will be tougher and his game time would have to be managed like we see with Quinn now.
Bowery seems to be having his career prolonged by playing at the back, DKD is not an out and out striker, leaving an injury prone Oates and a hit and miss Swan.
We need to be looking with an eye on League One most definitely.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:19 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Striker ? Thought it was a pacey winger we were missing ? ;)

they can cover both it if you like
We don't need a winger. Bringing in such would totally derail our style of play.

I totally agree, but the person I responded to who is now crying out for a striker was desperate for a pacey winger when the last window closed. Maybe he should just leave it to the professionals.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:38 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:54 am

Sneag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

What would be the point

That is fine and dandy.

Thing is last January we needed those players. Like actually needed a centre back and a right back. They weren't just for this season we needed them last season. We still needed more defenders on the summer hence Flint, Brunt, MacDonald, Cargill, Williams all signing.

We don't have that need any more.

I'm not against a new signing but I just think that we have enough as it stands, and what we currently have doesn't get much game time outside the chosen 2 or 3, so why have another? You can't hit form if you can't get the minutes. Plus we could attract a higher calibre of player in the summer, for free, once we are confirmed league one. We've
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:27 am

Courtesy of the Official EFL website:

Mansfield had 39 shots in their 2-0 win against Grimsby Town, the most attempts by a team in the top four tiers of English football since Man City had 43 against West Brom in the Premier League in March 2015 (3-0).

Big Dave still scratching his head at how his side lost.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:31 am

DoomMerchant wrote:Courtesy of the Official EFL website:

Mansfield had 39 shots in their 2-0 win against Grimsby Town, the most attempts by a team in the top four tiers of English football since Man City had 43 against West Brom in the Premier League in March 2015 (3-0).

I’m really shocked at the two interviews by Artell that I’ve watched in respect of this game. I always regarded him as a good manager but on this evidence the man has clearly lost the plot and struggles to put a coherent argument forward. If I were a Grimsby fan, I would be very worried indeed for next season unless he pulls himself together fairly quickly. I couldn’t see any real change of plan following the substitutions he made and they just seemed to disrupt an already dispirited side even further. It won’t be long before he loses the dressing room if he carries on in that vein.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:32 am

The 2 penalties Artell is on about came in the first half but neither player went down, 1 just before they hit the bar and the other one Bowery kicked his man. He was telling us behind the dugout that if they had gone down they would of been given.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:04 am

That is hilarious. Just listened.

They also seem to think his assessment was a bit bonkers over on the Grimsby forum. https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1703609170/s-10/
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Aspleystag » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:12 am

What about bringing in a striker on loan and send Will Swan out on loan to rebuild his confidence?
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:19 am

Sneag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

What would be the point

And rightly so. Best to build when you are doing well. More chance the chosen player will sign.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:36 am

Aspleystag wrote:What about bringing in a striker on loan and send Will Swan out on loan to rebuild his confidence?

So in effect that'd be sending one out to build his confidence up, then bring one in to build his confidence up.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:43 am

Loved the singing by Grimsby fans . what the ....... is that, pointing to the Bishop street stand I wanted to join in.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:44 am

Any idea why the guy at half time decided to flood the corner flag area ?
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:50 am

Aspleystag wrote:What about bringing in a striker on loan and send Will Swan out on loan to rebuild his confidence?

I would imagine building his confidence would be the last thing that would do.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:19 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

I’m really shocked at the two interviews by Artell that I’ve watched in respect of this game. I always regarded him as a good manager but on this evidence the man has clearly lost the plot and struggles to put a coherent argument forward. If I were a Grimsby fan, I would be very worried indeed for next season unless he pulls himself together fairly quickly. I couldn’t see any real change of plan following the substitutions he made and they just seemed to disrupt an already dispirited side even further. It won’t be long before he loses the dressing room if he carries on in that vein.

I don't think that I've ever seen a more incoherent and inaccurate assessment of a match from any manager. He's been doing this job for a few years now, and it looks like it's taking its toll.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:39 am

Any new forward coming in has to be one similar to Lucas to , 1 give him a rest when needed and 2 not change the way we play if he has to go off.

Just sign Lee Gregory already JR ... :D
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:40 am

Or how about this for a wild idea. Let play our players more. Send Swan out on loan and bring someone else is. We inform him he will get an average of 28 mins per appearance.

His last start was 7th October, since then he's appeared 7 times. Only 2 of those were over 20 minutes one was after 63 minutes of a game and he got an assist, the other was after 69 minutes of a game and he got a goal. The rest are in the 80+ minute, with 1 in injury time and 1 in 79th minute.

Bear in mind that that the player he's replacing last scored a month ago and since got 2 bench appearances on minutes 88 and 85 of a game.

There's players positively fighting at the door to get in for that kind of game time.

We can't offer more or Swan would have more game time.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:57 am

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Loved the singing by Grimsby fans . what the ....... is that, pointing to the Bishop street stand I wanted to join in.

Me too
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum