{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The best player to ever play at Field Mill?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The best player to ever play at Field Mill?

Postby stagshead » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:36 pm

But not the greatest lol
stagshead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BigGuy » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:37 pm

ParisStag wrote:DKD hits the bar after great skill

He hasnt been here long, greatest player already ?
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:42 pm

BigGuy wrote:
ParisStag wrote:DKD hits the bar after great skill

He hasnt been here long, greatest player already ?

Hahaha oops
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:43 pm

Akins
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:53 pm

Moore must be the best to have graced the FM turf. It was before my time…mine would be seeing Suarez maybe…but he’s not won a World Cup.
Definitely has to be Moore! Even Pele said he was the best. Has Gordon Banks or any other World Cup winners played at FM?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:56 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Moore must be the best to have graced the FM turf. It was before my time…mine would be seeing Suarez maybe…but he’s not won a World Cup.
Definitely has to be Moore! Even Pele said he was the best. Has Gordon Banks or any other World Cup winners played at FM?

Alan Ball, Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:50 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
yaxhamstag wrote:Remember seeing Peter Beardsley play for Hartlepool (I think) when he was at the end of his career but he was still way too good for anyone else on the pitch.

Same with Chris Waddle when he came with Torquay. Played in centre mid and hardly left the centre circle the whole game, but his skill level was so evident. Some of his passes were sublime, and the vision he had for picking the pass was unbelievable. Sadly for them, his team mates were not of the same calibre and what would have been a superb pass often came to nothing as they weren't reading the game in the same way !!

Funny, I nearly mentioned Waddle in my post. You’re right, their teammates just weren’t on the same wavelength and great passes were wasted. I think Beardsley was subbed that game, presumably for being too good
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:04 pm

Sneag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Moore must be the best to have graced the FM turf. It was before my time…mine would be seeing Suarez maybe…but he’s not won a World Cup.

Alan Ball, Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst?

Moore still the best…they’re some set of players though!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:16 pm

Don't think the critrria of winning world cups should count too much otherwise Alan Ball would outrank George Best. So just by judging a player by ability I would go Luis Suarez by a country mile. World class player who is probably under rated due to his antics.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:23 pm

ST4GS wrote:Don't think the critrria of winning world cups should count too much otherwise Alan Ball would outrank George Best. So just by judging a player by ability I would go Luis Suarez by a country mile. World class player who is probably under rated due to his antics.

Can’t argue with that and i think there’s an argument for Suarez or Bobby Moore. Is there anyone that could push those two?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:24 pm

ST4GS wrote:Don't think the critrria of winning world cups should count too much otherwise Alan Ball would outrank George Best. So just by judging a player by ability I would go Luis Suarez by a country mile. World class player who is probably under rated due to his antics.

Great players wouldn't have cheated the way Suarez did against us, a great player would have told the ref the goal shouldn't have stood or immediately go down the other end and score an o.g. to make amends. No doubt a great footballer but in the sense of being a 'great' not for me.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:32 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:

Can’t argue with that and i think there’s an argument for Suarez or Bobby Moore. Is there anyone that could push those two?

Glen Hoddle ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:35 pm

You could argue that while Best was a more gifted talent, Ball was the better pro.

Ball was the last World Cup winner score at Field Mill (thanks google)
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:36 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

Glen Hoddle ?

He'd be mine, agree with pemill about Suarez and never saw Moore. Hoddle was a fantastic player who should have had 150 caps.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:49 pm

pemill wrote:

Great players wouldn't have cheated the way Suarez did against us, a great player would have told the ref the goal shouldn't have stood or immediately go down the other end and score an o.g. to make amends. No doubt a great footballer but in the sense of being a 'great' not for me.

By that logic is Maradona not a great? Suarez is a cheat, undeniably. However whilst he was at Barcelona he was probably the 3rd best player in the world and without Messi and Ronaldo would probably have 2 ballon d'ors at least. I'm not old enough to have seen him but was Moore ever at that level?
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:19 pm

TheMyTStags wrote:
pemill wrote:

By that logic is Maradona not a great? Suarez is a cheat, undeniably. However whilst he was at Barcelona he was probably the 3rd best player in the world and without Messi and Ronaldo would probably have 2 ballon d'ors at least. I'm not old enough to have seen him but was Moore ever at that level?

I don't think you can compare players from different eras. It's a totally different game to 50/60 years ago.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:32 pm

Nobody going to mention George Best, ok he was playing with Fulham at the time, but he was still George Best ( and wasnt Bobby Moore in the samer Fulham team?). Personally, it has to be Duncan McKenzie.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby TheMyTStags » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:33 pm

Sneag wrote:
TheMyTStags wrote:
pemill wrote:

I don't think you can compare players from different eras. It's a totally different game to 50/60 years ago.

Not with complete accuracy, no. However the point of the thread is to kind of do that. And I'd suggest that, even with Moore's world cup win and obvious sentimental value to England, Suarez has potentially done more from an individual standpoint in his career, albeit playing for the best side for a long period.
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby TheMyTStags » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:36 pm

garlic wrote:Nobody going to mention George Best, ok he was playing with Fulham at the time, but he was still George Best ( and wasnt Bobby Moore in the samer Fulham team?). Personally, it has to be Duncan McKenzie.

Didn't know George Best had played at field mill. But if he did, then yeah that would be the clear answer
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:41 pm

Jamie vardy ( fleetwood ) Steve Bull ( wolves ) John Stead ( Huddersfield) just a few
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:27 pm

Ian Botham
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:27 pm

Anyone remember the old County Cup games in pre-season, when Forest were last in the Prem and I think they finished 3rd (?) that season....

Stan Collymore was at his peak then, before his big money move to Liverpool, then subsequently his mental health issues and love for dogging and domestic violence.

He was simply unplayable and scored a hat-trick, including one of the best individual goals I have seen at Field Mill.

He could have been some player if he'd have continued on that trajectory, he was something else for a year or so.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:36 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Jamie vardy ( fleetwood ) Steve Bull ( wolves ) John Stead ( Huddersfield) just a few

Have we really gone from George Best to Jon Stead ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:55 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Anyone remember the old County Cup games in pre-season, when Forest were last in the Prem and I think they finished 3rd (?) that season....

Stan Collymore was at his peak then, before his big money move to Liverpool, then subsequently his mental health issues and love for dogging and domestic violence.

He was simply unplayable and scored a hat-trick, including one of the best individual goals I have seen at Field Mill.

He could have been some player if he'd have continued on that trajectory, he was something else for a year or so.

I wonder if it was down to his then manager who would definitely have kept both his feet firmly planted on the ground.
Just a thought/opinion.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:15 pm

TheMyTStags wrote:
garlic wrote:Nobody going to mention George Best, ok he was playing with Fulham at the time, but he was still George Best ( and wasnt Bobby Moore in the samer Fulham team?). Personally, it has to be Duncan McKenzie.

Didn't know George Best had played at field mill. But if he did, then yeah that would be the clear answer

I was at the Fulham game in the late 70s, I don't think George played.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum