{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The best player to ever play at Field Mill?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The best player to ever play at Field Mill?

Postby Sneag » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:28 pm

Rob wrote:
TheMyTStags wrote:
garlic wrote:Nobody going to mention George Best, ok he was playing with Fulham at the time, but he was still George Best ( and wasnt Bobby Moore in the samer Fulham team?). Personally, it has to be Duncan McKenzie.

Didn't know George Best had played at field mill. But if he did, then yeah that would be the clear answer

I was at the Fulham game in the late 70s, I don't think George played.

He didn't.

Best Moore & Mullery had all moved on by 1977/78 season.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:59 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Ian Botham

Daley Thompson
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:10 am

steiner wrote:Seem to recall Neville Southall a few years ago.. Think he was at Torquay.. Has to be the best keeper to visit the Mill

Jordan Pickford whilst on loan at Darlington playing at the Mill looked good, but as Stags were good and Dario were awful we put five past him.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby spizz fan » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:00 am

for me duncan mckenzie, glenn hoodle & mat le tis
Stag for life not just for Wembley
spizz fan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:42 am

Bobby Moore probably and then maybe Hoddle
What about most famous manager

I think I recall Pep popping in to look at Stags one night in case we got through to play them in the cup
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:49 am

What's the best performance by an opposition player at FM? Stant's 4 goals?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:32 am

ParisStag wrote:What's the best performance by an opposition player at FM? Stant's 4 goals?

I'm sure onandi lowe destroyed us once when playing for rushden, not sure if it was 4 goals though
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:38 am

tillydog123 wrote:Bobby Moore probably and then maybe Hoddle

I think I recall Pep popping in to look at Stags one night in case we got through to play them in the cup

Graham Taylor was fantastic when he came with Wolves, the banter he shared with the fans was something a lot of opposition managers could learn from. He was a class act.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:44 am

Rob wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Bobby :D Moore probably and then maybe Hoddle

Graham Taylor was fantastic when he came with Wolves, the banter he shared with the fans was something a lot of opposition managers could learn from. He was a class act.

He wasn’t at half time when my mate said to him ‘do I not like that Graham’ as in the England documentary, he was told to raspberry off in no uncertain terms
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:50 am

Ralphy wrote:
Rob wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Bobby :D Moore probably and then maybe Hoddle

He wasn’t at half time when my mate said to him ‘do I not like that Graham’ as in the England documentary, he was told to raspberry off in no uncertain terms

What he said to his players at half time would have been worth listening to! They slaughtered us, having looked non-league in the first half.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:22 pm

It was when we played Cardiff
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:36 pm

Just read this whole thread and after initially reading the title of it my first thought was Luis Suarez.......yes he cheated, but he was a world class player before at the time and after the fixture...

Did David Beckham play at Field Mill for Preston NE in 94-95 ish ?.....did he not score direct from a corner or is my memory playing tricks on me (Not hard these days)
I seem to remember we lost either 2-1 or 3-1
Becks was obviously a young pup back then and not in the class of Suarez at the time.
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:51 pm

Rob wrote:

Had to re-read that, couldn't get Graham Turner out of my head for some reason..
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:07 am

Bros wrote:Bobby Moore. End of threas

Wasn't at his best when he came to the Mill..
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby diablo » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:10 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:Moore must be the best to have graced the FM turf. It was before my time…mine would be seeing Suarez maybe…but he’s not won a World Cup.
Definitely has to be Moore! Even Pele said he was the best. Has Gordon Banks or any other World Cup winners played at FM?

Peter Shilton....took a lot of stick from the Quarry end faithful albeit a great keeper
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:58 am

diablo wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Moore must be the best to have graced the FM turf. It was before my time…mine would be seeing Suarez maybe…but he’s not won a World Cup.
Definitely has to be Moore! Even Pele said he was the best. Has Gordon Banks or any other World Cup winners played at FM?

Peter Shilton....took a lot of stick from the Quarry end faithful albeit a great keeper

Peter Shilton & faithful in the same sentence :lol:

Tina! Tina!! Tina!!!
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:23 am

Johnny H wrote:Just read this whole thread and after initially reading the title of it my first thought was Luis Suarez.......yes he cheated, but he was a world class player before at the time and after the fixture...

Did David Beckham play at Field Mill for Preston NE in 94-95 ish ?.....did he not score direct from a corner or is my memory playing tricks on me (Not hard these days)
Becks was obviously a young pup back then and not in the class of Suarez at the time.

That goal was on his debut v Doncaster I think. He never played against us, only had 5 games for PNE
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:16 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:
Johnny H wrote:Just read this whole thread and after initially reading the title of it my first thought was Luis Suarez.......yes he cheated, but he was a world class player before at the time and after the fixture...

That goal was on his debut v Doncaster I think. He never played against us, only had 5 games for PNE

;)

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/pr ... ry-4400378
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:24 pm

Sneag wrote:

Alan Ball, Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst?

Hurst and Peters were in the West Ham team on that famous night,as well as Harry Rednapp
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby robda1st » Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:07 pm

part time pete wrote:
steiner wrote:Seem to recall Neville Southall a few years ago.. Think he was at Torquay.. Has to be the best keeper to visit the Mill

Jordan Pickford whilst on loan at Darlington playing at the Mill looked good, but as Stags were good and Dario were awful we put five past him.

like joe hart at shrewsbury, didn't we put 4 past him as well if i remember correctly :D
robda1st
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:59 pm

robda1st wrote:
part time pete wrote:

like joe hart at shrewsbury, didn't we put 4 past him as well if i remember correctly :D

Aaron Ramsdale was in net for the raspberry when Mal got his knighthood.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:47 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
ParisStag wrote:What's the best performance by an opposition player at FM? Stant's 4 goals?

I'm sure onandi lowe destroyed us once when playing for rushden, not sure if it was 4 goals though

Yes I remember that game. He got a hat trick and was brilliant. Then again, I think he was being marked by Les Robinson who was barely 5 feet tall.
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby daddycool » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:59 am

Rodney Marsh for QPR i think the won 8-1
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:18 am

I remember Peter Beardsley playing for Hartlepool at the end of his career. He came over to take a corner at the North Stand end. One Stags fan shouted "hey Beardsley respect man". It produced a big grin and a friendly wave from PB. Lovely moment.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:39 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I remember Peter Beardsley playing for Hartlepool at the end of his career. He came over to take a corner at the North Stand end. One Stags fan shouted "hey Beardsley respect man". It produced a big grin and a friendly wave from PB. Lovely moment.

I remember he got a good round of applause from the Stags fans when he was subbed
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum