{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Saturday Night Striker Questions

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Saturday Night Striker Questions

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:35 pm

I was thinking the same Rob. However, his current injury and recovery time hasn’t helped matters.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:09 pm

yes Gale could go on loan to non-league after January
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:15 pm

We should be thinking of a striker to take the burden away from Swan (our only striker)…we need backup or someone better imo. Other clubs near the top will be strengthening if they can. I still think Swan is good for this level. Gale isn’t imo…not from what I’ve seen.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:53 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:yes Gale could go on loan to non-league after January

If we are still in the mix come mid-end January (And I am sure we will be), it would be a risk to loan him out, with our injury record he may still be needed.
Although if he went CNorth or CSth I am sure we could recall him after 28 days....i.e end of Feb
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:41 pm

stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:45 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Dan, whatever you think Evan's might have done, he didn't achieve promotion whilst managing the stags..... fact. I don't think anyone on here "big ups" DF. My opinion is that he shouldn't have been sacked. I can't form an opinion on information I don't know ! What I don't understand, is why you perpetually defend someone you (in your own words) "dispise".
I am of the opinion we are very lucky to have the manager we currently have and I hope John Radford and the board renew his contract whether we are promoted or not.

:lol: :lol: So you would've kept Flitcroft here to complete his hat trick of failures, just like I said you would.

I don't "perpetually defend" anyone, I just state facts that are actual facts (rather than opinions that are stated as facts). I'm not sure where he stands but I bet Evans is above all of our recent managers in his success rate, yet people wouldn't have him back despite being a proven winner & not a bottler. It is possible to despise someone yet begrudgingly agree to their achievements you know, you & a few others on here should try it sometimes.

I do agree we are lucky to have NC but agree with Chimney that if he doesn't take us up this season then he has failed and he will be sacked especially after the start we have had.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:59 am

Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Dan, whatever you think Evan's might have done, he didn't achieve promotion whilst managing the stags..... fact. I don't think anyone on here "big ups" DF. My opinion is that he shouldn't have been sacked. I can't form an opinion on information I don't know ! What I don't understand, is why you perpetually defend someone you (in your own words) "dispise".
I am of the opinion we are very lucky to have the manager we currently have and I hope John Radford and the board renew his contract whether we are promoted or not.

:lol: :lol: So you would've kept Flitcroft here to complete his hat trick of failures, just like I said you would.

I don't "perpetually defend" anyone, I just state facts that are actual facts (rather than opinions that are stated as facts). I'm not sure where he stands but I bet Evans is above all of our recent managers in his success rate, yet people wouldn't have him back despite being a proven winner & not a bottler. It is possible to despise someone yet begrudgingly agree to their achievements you know, you & a few others on here should try it sometimes.

I do agree we are lucky to have NC but agree with Chimney that if he doesn't take us up this season then he has failed and he will be sacked especially after the start we have had.

Yes, the football his team played at times was some of the best I've seen at the One Call, way ahead of Evans.

Maybe.... but not with us........ fact.

That's good, but be careful what you wish for.

TIME TO MOVE ON.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:57 am

Beyond The Pale wrote:
Laney_MTFC wrote:could someone please lead me to the striker chat in this thread? thank you

Yep. Thought i'd have a look & it's another Dan loves Steve Evans / hates David Flitcroft hijack! :)

Thanks for the private message telling me to bore off Dan, you could've put it in the thread couldn't you? - Glad you've taken my tongue in cheek comment in good spirit.

Have a jolly Christmas won't you :(
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:25 pm

Beyond The Pale wrote:
Beyond The Pale wrote:
Laney_MTFC wrote:could someone please lead me to the striker chat in this thread? thank you

Yep. Thought i'd have a look & it's another Dan loves Steve Evans / hates David Flitcroft hijack! :)

Thanks for the private message telling me to bore off Dan, you could've put it in the thread couldn't you? - Glad you've taken my tongue in cheek comment in good spirit.

Grass.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:42 am

Johnny H wrote:

If we are still in the mix come mid-end January (And I am sure we will be), it would be a risk to loan him out, with our injury record he may still be needed.
Although if he went CNorth or CSth I am sure we could recall him after 28 days....i.e end of Feb

The thing with this is, like with Owen Mason this season, if he returned in Feb he would be ineligible to play for us for the rest of the season.

Basically it is either we loan him out for ~6 months or keep him here.

Unless we can get better for the same wage he is on then he might as well stay here and gain league 2 experience.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:45 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Johnny H wrote:

The thing with this is, like with Owen Mason this season, if he returned in Feb he would be ineligible to play for us for the rest of the season.

Unless we can get better for the same wage he is on then he might as well stay here and gain league 2 experience.
Any loan deal would have to be to the end of the season and we would have to bring a striker in.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:16 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Johnny H wrote:

Are you sure about that Gazza? My understanding of the loan rules are that if Gale went on a "short-term" loan to a non-league club, he'd be able to play for us whenever he came back. Mason's was a "long-term" loan, it just finished at the end of November because that's when the Irish season finishes, hence he can't play until our next transfer window opens.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:44 am

eggy wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Johnny H wrote:

Are you sure about that Gazza? My understanding of the loan rules are that if Gale went on a "short-term" loan to a non-league club, he'd be able to play for us whenever he came back. Mason's was a "long-term" loan, it just finished at the end of November because that's when the Irish season finishes, hence he can't play until our next transfer window opens.

I'm not 100% sure.

Does Gale need to be registered? Is it u21 (or u23) and they don't need to be registered? He turns 22 in a couple of weeks.

If Gale has to be registered then he won't be able to play for us because the registration would need to go through. I don't think the length of loan matters. You have to register players over a certain age, the squad registration window closes when the transfer window closes. You can only add a player after this if they were a free agent and you have a slot spare.

If he doesn't need to be registered this season then it would be plausible he could play because youth and keepers don't need to be registered. In Owen Masons case I think it's because it is an international transfer. Or it applies to all ages.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:12 am

Gale was 21 at the start of the calendar year so he would have to be registered
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:31 am

gazza1988 wrote:
eggy wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Johnny H wrote:

I'm not 100% sure.

Does Gale need to be registered? Is it u21 (or u23) and they don't need to be registered? He turns 22 in a couple of weeks.

If Gale has to be registered then he won't be able to play for us because the registration would need to go through. I don't think the length of loan matters. You have to register players over a certain age, the squad registration window closes when the transfer window closes. You can only add a player after this if they were a free agent and you have a slot spare.

If he doesn't need to be registered this season then it would be plausible he could play because youth and keepers don't need to be registered. In Owen Masons case I think it's because it is an international transfer. Or it applies to all ages.

Surely he could be registered then loaned out, once loaned out I would imagine he would not count as a registered player until he returned, though I'm not sure to be honest!

I would imagine if we can find a club for him, O'Toole could well be loaned out or maybe even released.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:37 am

Dan wrote:
Beyond The Pale wrote:
Beyond The Pale wrote:

Grass.

Really? Why couldn't you just say bore off on here? I thought you were better than cheap shots, especially over a throw away comment by myself.

I'll leave it at that.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:38 pm

Striker oh how all teams want a top striker, but they cost and our transfer record of £150-000 would not temp a club to sell a asset in January.
So we have a problem Akins-Bowery are a link from midfield to attack.
our main strike force on paper are Gale -Swan-Oates.
To win football matches we need goals, and after 19 games this is our weak point, we will get them from our midfield and link players, with defenders also chipping in.
But Swan =Oates and Gale have not been the cutting edge we need,
Unless we break the transfer budget to about £500-000 January is a expensive time, and strikers are in demand,
With some players leaving on loan or permanent, we could afford a fringe loan from Championship or premier league.
Meanwhile our position after the Xmas games will determine our needs
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:50 pm

bear 73 wrote:Striker oh how all teams want a top striker, but they cost and our transfer record of £150-000 would not temp a club to sell a asset in January.
To win football matches we need goals, and after 19 games this is our weak point, we will get them from our midfield and link players, with defenders also chipping in.
Unless we break the transfer budget to about £500-000 January is a expensive time, and strikers are in demand,
With some players leaving on loan or permanent, we could afford a fringe loan from Championship or premier league.

Its a matter of opinion of course but mine is that our needs are already determined. I don't feel there are enough goals in our strikers to give us a top three position. If we don't get another and get automatic then I will hold my hands up and party like everyone else
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:09 pm

bear 73 wrote:Striker oh how all teams want a top striker, but they cost and our transfer record of £150-000 would not temp a club to sell a asset in January.

You mean like Wrexham invested and speculated with Mullin and to a lesser degree Notts did with Longstaff and look how those two have delivered. Sometimes you just have to go for it although I totally accept its Mr Radfords money not mine. We dont need Christmas to determine our needs Bear.....the need is obvious to everyone but the In Nigel We Trust Brigade.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:32 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:

You mean like Wrexham invested and speculated with Mullin and to a lesser degree Notts did with Longstaff and look how those two have delivered. Sometimes you just have to go for it although I totally accept its Mr Radfords money not mine. We dont need Christmas to determine our needs Bear.....the need is obvious to everyone but the In Nigel We Trust Brigade.
I would go for Armstrong at Harrogate, but as bear rightly says, prices are inflated in January. To layout £150k + would be a gamble and put the club in financial difficulties if unsuccessful. NC is not the sort of manager to gung ho and rightly so. I think we will get a loan dependant on one of ours going out.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:39 pm

You either buy one of the Non league top scorers ,loan from above or try and lure a prover league 1 or two to join us .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:51 pm

daddycool wrote:You either buy one of the Non league top scorers ,loan from above or try and lure a prover league 1 or two to join us .

Joan ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:12 pm

loan :lol:
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:54 pm

We've already paid a fee for a striker from a premier league club with some league 2 experience.

If he's not the answer then why would another young striker be any different?

Swan is slowly getting back to match fitness and we want rid for another lad who probably hasn't got many minutes either.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:42 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:

Interesting last line. If we were struggling at the bottom of the league, even in mid table, I could understand that people may have lost trust in our manager. However, we are currently sitting 4th with a game in hand, which if we won it would put us in 2nd place just 3 points off the lead. We have lost just once in 19 league matches and have the 2nd best GD in the division.
I am struggling to understand how you consider being a member of the 'brigade' that has trust in a manager who has built a squad and managed the tactics to get us into that position is in any way derogatory.
I really do not understand how any supporter of this club, especially one who has seen the Haslam years and the Conference years, is sitting there looking for negatives.
He has put together a squad to get us in this position, and has been highly praised for his dealings in the last couple of transfer windows for the way he has successfully plugged the gaps in the squad. We know he isn't a manager full of bluster and plays his cards close to his chest. Even if he is looking at striker options he isn't going to shout it from the rooftops a month before the window opens.
Sit back and enjoy the ride. This is our best league season so far in over 20 years. These moments don't come around very often so enjoy them while you can, instead of worrying about the 'what ifs'.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum