{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Ollie Clarke

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Ollie Clarke

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:59 am

How do we wrap this lad in cotton wool to try and get some consistent game time out of him?

Appreciate he plays with high intensity so is likely to get injured, but for me, he is our most important player.

He drives the team, his commitment, energy, tackling, pops up with goals.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: Ollie Clarke

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:24 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:How do we wrap this lad in cotton wool to try and get some consistent game time out of him?

Appreciate he plays with high intensity so is likely to get injured, but for me, he is our most important player.

He drives the team, his commitment, energy, tackling, pops up with goals.

Totally agree with this comment....really well put. He's been my first name on the team sheet since he joined us.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:36 am

Agree entirely, him without injury niggles would be the catalyst for a really special season
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Tawnystag » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:43 am

Agree. So many times he has changed a game when being brought on. Steadies the midfield and provides an outlet for creativity.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby victor A block » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:59 am

He should be the first midfield name on the team-sheet without question.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:04 am

I don’t quite agree that he had a big impact last night. One good effort on goal and one good tracking back moment. He only touched the ball 11 times, so to say he changed the game is a bit much for me.

On a wider point, I agree he’s a good option to have as he offers something different to our other midfielders. I’m not sure the formation fully suits him and for that reason I don’t think he gets into our strongest eleven.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:12 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I don’t quite agree that he had a big impact last night. One good effort on goal and one good tracking back moment. He only touched the ball 11 times, so to say he changed the game is a bit much for me.

On a wider point, I agree he’s a good option to have as he offers something different to our other midfielders. I’m not sure the formation fully suits him and for that reason I don’t think he gets into our strongest eleven.

I think he's the one to drive us forward when others are content passing back or sideways. He's also prepared to actually shoot ( and nearly score) as opposed to Maris, Reed and Lewis ( and DKD strangely) when he gets to the edge of the box.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:17 am

victor A block wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I don’t quite agree that he had a big impact last night. One good effort on goal and one good tracking back moment. He only touched the ball 11 times, so to say he changed the game is a bit much for me.

I think he's the one to drive us forward when others are content passing back or sideways. He's also prepared to actually shoot ( and nearly score) as opposed to Maris, Reed and Lewis ( and DKD strangely) when he gets to the edge of the box.

I agree he carries the ball more that Maris and Reed, not sure about Lewis, but not always successfully. His dribbling stats are the lowest of any of those players for example. Shots wise, yes he has more than Reed and Lewis, not Maris. He’s definitely more prepared to have pot shots from range than the others, but obviously whilst we as fans love to them fly in, they’re low percentage chances. His biggest strength for me is his ability to get around the pitch, recover the ball and disrupt the opposition.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby PaulG » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:28 am

Low percentage chances can rebound and deflect for a tap in. I recall NC saying, at the start of his time here, that he encourages players to shoot for that very reason. By the time we scored last night, Tranmere had already had at least half a dozen efforts on target. From memory, we'd had none. Our midfielders are shot-shy, and that's reducing the chances for Oates, Akins and Swan.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby zod » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:44 am

PaulG wrote:By the time we scored last night, Tranmere had already had at least half a dozen efforts on target. From memory, we'd had none. Our midfielders are shot-shy, and that's reducing the chances for Oates, Akins and Swan.

I agree, far too often trying to walk it in when there's a decent chance of a shot.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:12 am

When he’s fit, Clarke starts for me. I’m worried that Clough will be too adamant on Quinn starting now that he’s back. I think Quinn’s a nice option off the bench and maybe to start certain games, however if you’re playing Quinn with the likes of Reed, Lewis, DKD, Maris etc, you’ve got a lot of diminutive, slow players in midfield who are going to struggle against teams with legs.

Clarke’s legs, ball winning ability, and ability to simply strike a ball properly compliments the rest of the midfield better than Quinn’s strengths and weaknesses do.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:14 am

Easy to say in hindsight after last night, but perhaps in certain games, our best side is playing Reed, Lewis, Clarke and Maris in midfield with DKD up front - I think this makes our link up play better against sides who sit deep.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:17 am

PaulG wrote:Low percentage chances can rebound and deflect for a tap in. I recall NC saying, at the start of his time here, that he encourages players to shoot for that very reason. By the time we scored last night, Tranmere had already had at least half a dozen efforts on target. From memory, we'd had none. Our midfielders are shot-shy, and that's reducing the chances for Oates, Akins and Swan.

I don’t think we have a problem with shooting in general. We average the most shots per game in L2 (18.8), 2 more than the next best. 2nd highest shots on target per game (6). This could be improved slightly as most teams are running at 2.5 shots per 1 on target. I don’t think Clarke improves that as he hits the target less than most :

Shots on target per 90 :
DKD 2 (45.5%)
Akins 1 (35.6%)
Swan 0.9 (33.3%)
Gale 0.9 (30%)
Maris 0.9 (28.6%)
Boateng 0.9 (23.1%)
Clarke 0.5 (18.2%)
Cargill 0.4 (36.4%)
Lewis 0.4 (27.3%)
Bowery 0.2 (37.5%)
Macdonald 0.2 (33.3%)
Reed 0.2 (23.5%)
Flint 0.2 (11.5%)
Brunt 0.1 (20%)
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby SelstonStag88 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:31 am

Should start every week for me but I can't see clough starting him. Will be to adamant on playing Quinn and I can only see that backfiring
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Ad » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:34 am

He has to start for me. Our best midfield. Quinn is a great player but Clarke brings a higher intensity and greater drive.
Amber Ad
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby chris wilson » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:52 am

He's the only midfielder we have that can get around the pitch. The rest look like they're towing a caravan around the pitch.
chris wilson
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:18 pm

Picking midfielders that compliment each other is so important. When you have Reed and Lewis in the side who aren’t blessed with pace or power then you need to balance it up with somebody who does. Clarke is that option for us. I feel pretty strongly that if not both, then at least one of Clarke or Maris needs to be in the midfield at all times.

The balance didn’t look right last night from when the team was named. It never ends well when we start 3 in midfield that are pretty slow
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:26 pm

he’s the only midfielder that can shoot with power, 100% starter for me
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:57 pm

Agree 100%
True leader and was a big star at The Gas
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:24 pm

!5 games played 7 sub = 8 full games out of 19 and he is a must in midfield , some facts missing here,
He is a good midfield player but has suffered with injuries, so i find it hard to reflect the influence he has had on our 19 games.
With only 1 loss in 19 games
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:33 pm

because hes not been playing in the last few weeks, and i feel its been totally noticeable.

This isnt a dig at the current midfielders, i just feel when fit, he a better option on the pitch
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:44 pm

bear 73 wrote:!5 games played 7 sub = 8 full games out of 19 and he is a must in midfield , some facts missing here,
He is a good midfield player but has suffered with injuries, so i find it hard to reflect the influence he has had on our 19 games.

Couple of facts then. He got injured in the Wrexham cup game. Including that one we have lost 4, won 2 and then drawn last night where he only played 10 minutes, since his injury.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:59 pm

victor A block wrote:
bear 73 wrote:!5 games played 7 sub = 8 full games out of 19 and he is a must in midfield , some facts missing here,

Couple of facts then. He got injured in the Wrexham cup game. Including that one we have lost 4, won 2 and then drawn last night where he only played 10 minutes, since his injury.

2 of those losses were in the BSM trophy which he probably wouldn't have been involved in though.
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Ollie Clarke

Postby chris wilson » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 pm

I think Clarke deserves his own post.

This guy hasn't had it easy the last few years. Constantly struggled with injuries and then went through a spell of not being fancied by the manager and lost the captaincy.

He gives 100% every time he puts the shirt on and would literally run through a brick wall for our club.

He's fast becoming my favourite player.
chris wilson
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:36 pm

Class again!
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum