{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Newport scorefred sponsored by beat them keep on track

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Newport scorefred sponsored by beat them keep on track

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:27 pm

Our football at the moment is European.

We defend like Italians, team workrate of Germany, the passing of Spain, and the attack and versatility of Dutch Total Football.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:20 pm

These are games we need to win as you can get over confident and it can bite you, the two goal cushion gave us something to hold on to and how pleasing to keep a clean sheet.
The squad did well and continued to pick up points , picking a man of the match gets hard as their is normally more than one contender.
Flint seems to be the signing of the season and deserves the respect shown to him,
A long long way to go yet nothing has been won, but once more its nice to be part of another promotion bid.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:43 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Our football at the moment is European.

We defend like Italians, team workrate of Germany, the passing of Spain, and the attack and versatility of Dutch Total Football.

Brilliant :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:45 pm

bear 73 wrote:These are games we need to win as you can get over confident and it can bite you, the two goal cushion gave us something to hold on to and how pleasing to keep a clean sheet.
The squad did well and continued to pick up points , picking a man of the match gets hard as their is normally more than one contender.
Flint seems to be the signing of the season and deserves the respect shown to him,
A long long way to go yet nothing has been won, but once more its nice to be part of another promotion bid.

Very true. I was annoyed with Oates taking the penalty away from Bowery tbh. Bowery is the penalty taker when Akins isn’t playing. Oates needs to think a bit more about the TEAM and a bit less about himself at times…and I say at times, because other than that he’s very good. I’m pretty sure Bowery would’ve scored the penalty and I could’ve relaxed a bit more :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:53 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
bear 73 wrote:These are games we need to win as you can get over confident and it can bite you, the two goal cushion gave us something to hold on to and how pleasing to keep a clean sheet.

Very true. I was annoyed with Oates taking the penalty away from Bowery tbh. Bowery is the penalty taker when Akins isn’t playing. Oates needs to think a bit more about the TEAM and a bit less about himself at times…and I say at times, because other than that he’s very good. I’m pretty sure Bowery would’ve scored the penalty and I could’ve relaxed a bit more :lol:

Clough said after the game that Akins was the penalty taker, if he's not playing then it's left to the players. I assume therefore the final say was Flints as Captain. Clough also said he thought Jordan should have taken it so perhaps he will reassess leaving it to the players.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:27 pm

another great result…promotion beckons
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:22 pm

Agreed - we can debate the performance but the result was so important.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:29 pm

The threads get shorter the more games we win!!

Efficient but not brilliant yesterday. Nice to see DKD get a couple of goals a bit cheaper than usual. He's been close to some absolute worldies lately while missing one or two easier chances.

Thought young Brunt was very, very good indeed. His ball to DKD stands out as much as his defending. He's a real step up from Harbottle who was decent enough!

Obviously great to see Quinny and Lucas back. Some real selection headaches coming up for NC.

A lovely problem to have.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:58 pm

broomo wrote:The threads get shorter the more games we win!!

Efficient but not brilliant yesterday. Nice to see DKD get a couple of goals a bit cheaper than usual. He's been close to some absolute worldies lately while missing one or two easier chances.

Thought young Brunt was very, very good indeed. His ball to DKD stands out as much as his defending. He's a real step up from Harbottle who was decent enough!

Obviously great to see Quinny and Lucas back. Some real selection headaches coming up for NC.

Of course they are shorter, but you win first prize for being the first person to comment on it this week :lol:

I agree about Brunt, I also think he will really benefit from having Cargill and Flint, two proper defenders, alongside him. I think Cargill is terrific, he knows when it isn't time to muck around with it and whilst I accept he is not as good going forward as MacDonald, he is much better defensively and covers CB effortlessly. It is to Brunt's great credit that Nigel thinks enough of him to have him in the side ahead of Cargill and he was outstanding yesterday.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:31 am

Rob wrote:

Of course they are shorter, but you win first prize for being the first person to comment on it this week :lol:

I agree about Brunt, I also think he will really benefit from having Cargill and Flint, two proper defenders, alongside him. I think Cargill is terrific, he knows when it isn't time to muck around with it and whilst I accept he is not as good going forward as MacDonald, he is much better defensively and covers CB effortlessly. It is to Brunt's great credit that Nigel thinks enough of him to have him in the side ahead of Cargill and he was outstanding yesterday.

Thanks, do I win a month off you having unnecessary digs at anything I post?

That would be a nice prize.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:21 am

Rob wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

Clough said after the game that Akins was the penalty taker, if he's not playing then it's left to the players. I assume therefore the final say was Flints as Captain. Clough also said he thought Jordan should have taken it so perhaps he will reassess leaving it to the players.

Clough is right. That needs sorting imo…luckily it didn’t cost us.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:57 am

Clough also stated something about Oates recently becoming a father.

I expect having won the penalty, he wanted to score and do a baby themed celebration or something - like typical footballers do.

Clough doesn't like celebrations though....
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:36 am

stagmanrob wrote:Clough also stated something about Oates recently becoming a father.

I expect having won the penalty, he wanted to score and do a baby themed celebration or something - like typical footballers do.

I was thinking exactly the same bless him :lol:
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:53 am

I think that’s the diffferenve we’ve got going on currently, earlier in the season we might have drawn that 0-0, i had a bit of a sneaking feeling it might’ve also been the case saturday.

However, teams come looking for a point and if you score the early goal you bugger their game plan which is exactly what we did, saw little threat from newport all game.

All round performance, solid in defence.

Still think we’re due to give someone a good hiding if we can be more effective at converting chances.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:28 am

adamstag wrote:I think that’s the diffferenve we’ve got going on currently, earlier in the season we might have drawn that 0-0, i had a bit of a sneaking feeling it might’ve also been the case saturday.

However, teams come looking for a point and if you score the early goal you bugger their game plan which is exactly what we did, saw little threat from newport all game.

Still think we’re due to give someone a good hiding if we can be more effective at converting chances.

To be fair to Newport I think they came set up to attack, they didn’t sit back like Wimbledon, Wrexham and Bradford did
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:44 am

broomo wrote:
Rob wrote:

Thanks, do I win a month off you having unnecessary digs at anything I post?

That would be a nice prize.

Honestly you really need to have a word with yourself, I was clearly joking. I'd have posted the same to anyone who made that same lame point and have done so before. Still, if you keep being continuously offended we'll soon get this thread up to 10 pages :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:07 pm

MTFC Man wrote:
adamstag wrote:I think that’s the diffferenve we’ve got going on currently, earlier in the season we might have drawn that 0-0, i had a bit of a sneaking feeling it might’ve also been the case saturday.

To be fair to Newport I think they came set up to attack, they didn’t sit back like Wimbledon, Wrexham and Bradford did

Agreed, Newport came to have a go, they just weren’t very effective.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:09 pm

Amberheart wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:Clough also stated something about Oates recently becoming a father.

I was thinking exactly the same bless him :lol:

Well, it went well for him :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:10 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
MTFC Man wrote:

Agreed, Newport came to have a go, they just weren’t very effective.

Agree, however we did put in some amazing last ditch blocks.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:54 pm

Having seen the highlights I think it was a very good save by the keeper for Oates' pen.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:22 pm

1970Stag wrote:Having seen the highlights I think it was a very good save by the keeper for Oates' pen.

I think the camera angle makes it look more in the corner…I was in line down the QLE and it wasn’t much out of centre…incredibly poor penalty and good height for the keeper. No effort to go in the corners or blast it. Rhys must’ve been in about 10 minds as to what to do :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum