{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Newport scorefred sponsored by beat them keep on track

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Newport scorefred sponsored by beat them keep on track

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:08 pm

I hope we aren't starting to take for granted Flints performances week after week of absolute stature.

He was my MotM today by a country mile
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Harrington St Stag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:19 pm

A good mate is a Newport fan. He was messaging me during the game about how we were getting most decisions and he felt they got nothing. I don’t see it that way. Brunt was immense, and Flint was a bit off being his normal immaculate self.

Good workmanlike win and 3 points. I’ll take that COYS
Harrington St Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stoney » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:24 pm

Harrington St Stag wrote:A good mate is a Newport fan. He was messaging me during the game about how we were getting most decisions and he felt they got nothing. I don’t see it that way. Brunt was immense, and Flint was a bit off being his normal immaculate self.

I've just watched the Sky Sports highlights https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... highlights

Brunts defending at 1 minute 40 seconds is quality. At the time I thought it was 3 different players who put blocks in but it is Brunt who kept them out 3 times. Ridiculously good and determined defending that is.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:29 pm

i agree with you about Brunt and Flint, that triple block from Brunt was outstanding, i also have sympathy with your Newport mates view …. the ref gave them very little which I’m proper glad about !!
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:32 pm

northern stag wrote:i agree with you about Brunt and Flint, that triple block from Brunt was outstanding, i also have sympathy with your Newport mates view …. the ref gave them very little which I’m proper glad about !!

And the referee was right to give them very little. He missed certain things against us too. I thought he was fairly balanced. Newport played well. We were at about 75% and still won easy. They shouldn’t blame the referee but blame their own poor crossing and finishing imho.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:34 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:I hope we aren't starting to take for granted Flints performances week after week of absolute stature.

He was my MotM today by a country mile

Flint was magnificent again. I also thought Bowery was excellent today. All in all a thoroughly professional performance against a potentially tricky opponent. If Bowery had taken the penalty it would’ve been convincing!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:37 pm

northern stag wrote:i agree with you about Brunt and Flint, that triple block from Brunt was outstanding, i also have sympathy with your Newport mates view …. the ref gave them very little which I’m proper glad about !!

Sympathy, really?
Bogle could have been sent off by minute 30 but he let him off, weak refereeing!
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:46 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:

Sympathy, really?
Bogle could have been sent off by minute 30 but he let him off, weak refereeing!

Looked like he was more interested in playing basketball today, he was whinging from the first minute
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby WoodhouseStag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:50 pm

Some great individual performances but not necessarily our best team performance.

I thought Lewis had a great game as well as the others mentioned, and of course DKD, I think a lot of stags fans miss how much he contributes to the team with his brain moreso than his feet.
WoodhouseStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Ralphy » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:00 pm

Thought today was professional more than spectacular, looked like we have a real intent to keep a clean sheet at all costs, sort of performance that wins championships today
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby northern stag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:16 pm

the desire to keep the ball out of our net is immense from the whole team.
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 1970Stag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:44 pm

The ref gave us everything, penalty looked soft but maybe there was contact?
I love the comments I hear every week whatever the score! "Gerrit forward!" "Bloody rubbish" and "useless" as we keep possession but go backwards. Do these people know we are unbeaten in 19 games in the league. It's almost like they expect a 5-0 win every week? And criticism of DKD for not passing enough, If he got all the assists and all the goals then I very much doubt he will still be here in Jan!
Enjoy what we have, it's brilliant!
Good to see Akins back and getting used to his new mask.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:59 pm

I thought the pen was soft personally, but I was a long way from it.

Bogle was very lucky not to get a yellow for the first handball & realy should have been sent off by the letter of the law.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:04 pm

:D

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:17 pm

Happy with the win, as you would be.

The early goal ruined their game plan and there was never once that newport looked like they were ever going to get back into the game after the early goal.

A performance which did what it needed to without doing anything special. When you can win these games how easily we did today, happy days.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:42 pm

Stonewall penalty! Caught his trailing leg. That Maris pass to DKD in the 2nd half…brilliant.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:06 pm

We were not at our best today but it was a good 2-0 win for the Stags which ought to have been much more comfortable due to missing the penalty and not taking advantage of our good attacking positions. We didn't really get out of 2nd gear. We were very sloppy giving the ball away at times particularly in the 2nd half. Better teams than Newport could have punished us.

I thought Jordan Bowery lacked a bit of sharpness up front today and did not react quickly enough to some good balls across the box and following up rebounds. It was a nice bit of play though to set up Rhys Oates for the penalty which Jordan should have taken. DKD had a good 1st half and scored two good goals and should have had three or four. Rhys Oates had some good moments but was better last week. George Maris had a very good 2nd half and it was fantastic ball by him to set up DKD for the 2nd goal. Lots of energy from Aaron Lewis but he needs to hurt the opposition more when he gets the ball around and in the area. Louis Reed had a good 1st half but then Newport closed him down more in the 2nd half and he gave the ball away a little more than usual today.

Lewis Brunt and Aden Flint were very good again in defence with Lewis Brunt being my pick of the defence. Callum Johnson had another good game at right back and was a threat going forward and Baily Cargill was solid at left back and not scared to just clear his lines when necessary.

I'd give MOM to Davis Keillor Dunn followed by Lewis Brunt.

DKD now has 17 league goals for the Stags in 35(1) league starts.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:42 pm

Looks like it was 4 blocks/interceptions on the spin, great commitment, as well as spraying the ball out for DKD's chance in the first half that was arguably easier than the one he scored with. He's going to be some player that lad.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:55 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We were not at our best today but it was a good 2-0 win for the Stags which ought to have been much more comfortable due to missing the penalty and not taking advantage of our good attacking positions. We didn't really get out of 2nd gear. We were very sloppy giving the ball away at times particularly in the 2nd half. Better teams than Newport could have punished us.

I thought Jordan Bowery lacked a bit of sharpness up front today and did not react quickly enough to some good balls across the box and following up rebounds. It was a nice bit of play though to set up Rhys Oates for the penalty which Jordan should have taken. DKD had a good 1st half and scored two good goals and should have had three or four. Rhys Oates had some good moments but was better last week. George Maris had a very good 2nd half and it was fantastic ball by him to set up DKD for the 2nd goal. Lots of energy from Aaron Lewis but he needs to hurt the opposition more when he gets the ball around and in the area. Louis Reed had a good 1st half but then Newport closed him down more in the 2nd half and he gave the ball away a little more than usual today.

Lewis Brunt and Aden Flint were very good again in defence with Lewis Brunt being my pick of the defence. Callum Johnson had another good game at right back and was a threat going forward and Baily Cargill was solid at left back and not scared to just clear his lines when necessary.

I'd give MOM to Davis Keillor Dunn followed by Lewis Brunt.

DKD now has 17 league goals for the Stags in 35(1) league starts.

Pretty much agree with all that except Bowery, I thought he was excellent, held the ball up really well and won the ball in key areas. Brunt was my MOM but I thought the back 4 as a unit were good and a lively Newport side were restricted to few attempts. I do not agree at all that Newport were poor and I think Coughlan was harsh on them, they caused us plenty of problems and there is no way on earth will they be relegated. It was a tough game and we will look back on that as 3 very good points as I think Newport will come on very strong as the season goes on.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:26 am

It’s ironic that one of our players of the season may end up being on the bench soon as result of his flexibility. Since Akins has been injured, CJ has done well enough not to be dropped at right back, and Akins (who Bowery moved up to replace) is probably better in that role than JB.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:00 am

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:19 am

Harrington St Stag wrote:A good mate is a Newport fan. He was messaging me during the game about how we were getting most decisions and he felt they got nothing. I don’t see it that way. Brunt was immense, and Flint was a bit off being his normal immaculate self.

I think your mate was right to be honest. Personally I thought the ref was niggly towards them and probably flashed some cards in their direction a bit too easily.
It wasn't an I'll disciplined game but I felt that we had the rub of the green with the ref.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:46 am

i thought Johnson had his best game in a Stag's shirt yesterday, a great all round performance well done one & all.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:08 am

1970Stag wrote:The ref gave us everything, penalty looked soft but maybe there was contact?
I love the comments I hear every week whatever the score! "Gerrit forward!" "Bloody rubbish" and "useless" as we keep possession but go backwards. Do these people know we are unbeaten in 19 games in the league. It's almost like they expect a 5-0 win every week? And criticism of DKD for not passing enough, If he got all the assists and all the goals then I very much doubt he will still be here in Jan!

It's so uneducated. I'm hardly cultured in my knowledge of football but I can see when the patient, passing approach works and is worth continuing with.

The 'gerrit forrad' lot are also the same people who are vocal when you pump it long and lose possession. Clearly thinking that the ball has to be launched miles into the opposition half, won every time and creating a goalscoring opportunity - just like no team in the history of the game have successfully achieved.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:05 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
1970Stag wrote:The ref gave us everything, penalty looked soft but maybe there was contact?

It's so uneducated. I'm hardly cultured in my knowledge of football but I can see when the patient, passing approach works and is worth continuing with.

The 'gerrit forrad' lot are also the same people who are vocal when you pump it long and lose possession. Clearly thinking that the ball has to be launched miles into the opposition half, won every time and creating a goalscoring opportunity - just like no team in the history of the game have successfully achieved.

Playing out from the back is great, retains possession & is much easier on the eye than lumping it forrad to the big lad (which we haven't done well since the days of Cox), however there are times when sticking your laces through the ball is the prudent thing to do.

Better to surrender the ball deep in their half, than to get caught in possession on the edge of your own box.

It comes down to decision making, and dare I say it, a couple of blips apart, we've been very good in that department so far.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum