{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

James McClean

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: James McClean

Postby Amberheart » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:58 pm

Ralphy wrote::D A fetching pair of fingerless gloves :D

Well it is The Star ;)
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:38 pm

What a lot of people probably missed is that during the stoppage for the injured Wrexham player in the middle of the 2nd half there was a bit of 'handbags' between McClean and a Stags fan in the lower tier. I have no idea how it started, but I'm guessing McClean didn't just randomly pick out a fan to abuse so I'm guessing the Stags fan started it. Couldn't hear what was being said but McClean simply reacted by tapping a tattoo on his thigh, which again I couldn't see what it was from where I was sat. After a bit McClean just kept responding with a thumbs up to everything the 'fan' shouted. After play restarted, there was a steward stood talking to the Stags fan for a good 5 minutes and he still seemed very irate. Unless he took his coat off before the end of the match I don't think he was one of the 2 in the video at the end.
It appears that due to McClean having a different point of view to others he is targetted for abuse, and then when he dares to respond he is painted as the bad guy.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:42 pm

Tess Tickle wrote:A bit harsh on over weight and folically challenged people. They (we) are not all like that. Can we keep the hate speech to the hate speech stroke bullying forum please. Thanks

Unless you were either the idiot or the fat skinhead it clearly wasn't aimed at you or indeed any other overweight folically challenged people.

I find it frustrating and annoying in equal measure that we've come to simply brush off behaviour like that as "it's football, it happens"

Maybe if more called it out it would stop.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:39 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:What a lot of people probably missed is that during the stoppage for the injured Wrexham player in the middle of the 2nd half there was a bit of 'handbags' between McClean and a Stags fan in the lower tier. I have no idea how it started, but I'm guessing McClean didn't just randomly pick out a fan to abuse so I'm guessing the Stags fan started it. Couldn't hear what was being said but McClean simply reacted by tapping a tattoo on his thigh, which again I couldn't see what it was from where I was sat. After a bit McClean just kept responding with a thumbs up to everything the 'fan' shouted. After play restarted, there was a steward stood talking to the Stags fan for a good 5 minutes and he still seemed very irate. Unless he took his coat off before the end of the match I don't think he was one of the 2 in the video at the end.
It appears that due to McClean having a different point of view to others he is targetted for abuse, and then when he dares to respond he is painted as the bad guy.

He has a tattoo of a mural on a building, which says "you are now entering free Derry". I'm assuming someone shouted something related to either Ireland or his past decisions not to wear the poppy. His choice, free country, etc, but he absolutely loves the attention, which includes laughing as he winds up English fans week in week out. He also loves going on TalkSport and complaining about how he's targeted.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:47 am

He was also waving and celebrating in front of the west stand north stand end at the end rather than going straight to his own fans. The guy is a grade 1 poppy dodging weapon and deserves all the grief he gets.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:32 am

"You're now entering free Derry"

That would be Londonderry would it?
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:59 am

As someone who served in Londonderry during the troubles and seeing at first hand how catholic youngsters were brainwashed/taught to hate the English, I understand where his attitude and mentality comes from, however he is living and earning here now so he should zip it.
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby zod » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:26 pm

chimneyboy wrote:As someone who served in Londonderry during the troubles and seeing at first hand how catholic youngsters were brainwashed/taught to hate the English, I understand where his attitude and mentality comes from, however he is living and earning here now so he should zip it.

Agreed, well said.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:42 pm

zod wrote:
chimneyboy wrote:As someone who served in Londonderry during the troubles and seeing at first hand how catholic youngsters were brainwashed/taught to hate the English, I understand where his attitude and mentality comes from, however he is living and earning here now so he should zip it.

Agreed, well said.

everyone is entitled to their own views, just don’t rub them in peoples faces, like this wasn’t going to off :roll:

just needs to show some class & tbh if we had ignored him it would have had a greater effect
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:52 pm

He’ll be in the news tomorrow when his shirt won’t have the poppy on it.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:02 pm

Dan wrote:He’ll be in the news tomorrow when his shirt won’t have the poppy on it.

Exactly. And somehow people will construe that as him starting it and rubbing it in people's faces !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:48 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Dan wrote:He’ll be in the news tomorrow when his shirt won’t have the poppy on it.

Exactly. And somehow people will construe that as him starting it and rubbing it in people's faces !!

Although he did laugh during the last post which I found very disrespectful.
I'm not sure how you can construe that any other way.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:07 pm

zod wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

Although he did laugh during the last post which I found very disrespectful.
I'm not sure how you can construe that any other way.

I don't think he is very clever, laughing during the last post especially when thousands of Irish catholics died fighting the Nazis. Lets put this down to him being a thicko and leave him to wallow in his own self importance.
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Young021 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:08 pm

I’m definitely not a McLean enthusiast or anything but you do realise neither macca or Quinn wear the poppy armbands aswell? Would love to know your thoughts on that and if you have the same energy.
Young021
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:25 pm

Young021 wrote:

I’m definitely not a McLean enthusiast or anything but you do realise neither macca or Quinn wear the poppy armbands aswell? Would love to know your thoughts on that and if you have the same energy.

I think the reason for armbands is to give everyone the choice, I am sure Quinn and Macca wore shirts with the poppy on, but of course it is much easier to choose not to wear the armband poppy if you feel it symbolises something you don't agree with. If Quinn or Macca disrespect the silence as McLean did then they will rightly receive criticism for it, but as for not wearing a poppy, that's up to them. Clearly the poppy is an emotive issue for some Irish people, but as someone else has mentioned, the taxes they pay are in part used to pay for the UK Armed Forces, so they can't feel that strongly about it! Morals can't beat cold hard cash :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:52 pm

When did he disrespect the minutes silence or laugh during the last post? Is this actually fact or is is just someone who’s seen him ‘laughing’ from the back of Block L
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:54 pm

Keep up Dan, He and Mullins are both suspended tomorrow so will not be playing and wearing a shirt tomorrow.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:57 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:When did he disrespect the minutes silence or laugh during the last post? Is this actually fact or is is just someone who’s seen him ‘laughing’ from the back of Block L

I tried to keep an eye on him during the minute's silence and I didn't see him laugh. The only thing he did which he usually does is stand at the end of the line but with a bit of a gap between the rest of his team mates and himself.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:49 pm

part time pete wrote:

Keep up Dan, He and Mullins are both suspended tomorrow so will not be playing and wearing a shirt tomorrow.

That's handy ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:35 am

part time pete wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:When did he disrespect the minutes silence or laugh during the last post? Is this actually fact or is is just someone who’s seen him ‘laughing’ from the back of Block L

I tried to keep an eye on him during the minute's silence and I didn't see him laugh. The only thing he did which he usually does is stand at the end of the line but with a bit of a gap between the rest of his team mates and himself.

Even that though is unnecessary. The minutes silence is to remember people (mainly ordinary working class people) who sacrificed a lot to either fight evil or defend an idea of freedom, whether that made a difference or was in vain. Many of those people were Irish or commonwealth subjects. He's making it about himself or about another cause that it isn't intended to be about.

Fair enough, celebrate your cause, point at your tattoo, have your free speech, but this just seems like attention seeking and provocation. I understand why he might feel that way, coming from where he does, but he could play anywhere he wants, the US, Europe, Australia. He's chosen to play in England, in front of English crowds and with a smile on his face as he argues with them. Says it all.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:33 am

As far as I could see, he stood slightly away from his team mates but respected the silence. If people thought he was laughing they must have fantastic eyesight as I'm not sure many could see his facial expression from that distance.
He then got on with his job of playing football and had no interaction with the crowd until somebody decided to shout abuse at him during the break in play for the injury.
His next interaction with the crowd was when the idiots in the video abused him at the final whistle.
People are constantly looking for reasons to fall out with him and then putting the blame on him when he reacts to things that they have started. He has his reasons for his feelings towards the poppy which he has politely explained, but people can't respect that. He is far from the only footballer to do it, but is probably the most high profile in the last couple of decades so is targetted by idiots every season. People on here are claiming he 'makes it about himself' when the fact is that they are actually making it about him by not accepting his different point of view.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:41 am

We still on about this?
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:26 am

Dave Wayne wrote:As far as I could see, he stood slightly away from his team mates but respected the silence. If people thought he was laughing they must have fantastic eyesight as I'm not sure many could see his facial expression from that distance.
He then got on with his job of playing football and had no interaction with the crowd until somebody decided to shout abuse at him during the break in play for the injury.
His next interaction with the crowd was when the idiots in the video abused him at the final whistle.
People are constantly looking for reasons to fall out with him and then putting the blame on him when he reacts to things that they have started. He has his reasons for his feelings towards the poppy which he has politely explained, but people can't respect that. He is far from the only footballer to do it, but is probably the most high profile in the last couple of decades so is targetted by idiots every season. People on here are claiming he 'makes it about himself' when the fact is that they are actually making it about him by not accepting his different point of view.

Great post some cant see anything but their own views
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:20 am

Dave Wayne wrote:As far as I could see, he stood slightly away from his team mates but respected the silence. If people thought he was laughing they must have fantastic eyesight as I'm not sure many could see his facial expression from that distance.

Very good post.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:15 pm

Are people still winding themselves up about this fella?

Jesus he's harmless. There's clearly nothing going off in some people's lives if they're still clinging in desperation to McClean for kicks.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum