{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Keeper That Never Saves Anything

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

The Keeper That Never Saves Anything

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:12 am

That's what a big wave of you said when we signed Pym in the summer.
What a bunch of mugs he's made you look in the past three months.
He's a very good goalkeeper and proving to be the astute signing that the rest of us saw.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Re: The Keeper That Never Saves Anything

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:38 am

He's playing very well.

Although not his fault, if he was taller, then I'd argue a couple more would have been saved.

But what he can save, in the most he does.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:43 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:He's playing very well.

Although not his fault, if he was taller, then I'd argue a couple more would have been saved.

We could all be better with another couple of inches.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:01 am

I suppose we could just say that somebody is playing well rather than just starting a new thread purely to call people mugs and blow your own trumpet :lol:

Last season his save percentage was in the bottom 2. This year he’s currently 6th. Plenty of factors go in to that…better defence, not as many shots against etc., one of the lowest xG’s against in the league, but it’s also fair to say that he is just performing better than last season. He’s making plenty of eye catching saves at the moment and is looking pretty assured in most aspects of his game.

I wasn’t too bothered about paying a fee to bring him back at the time, but this year he has been impressive and that’s great! People have opinions that are allowed to change, and I hope he keeps his form up throughout the season.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:08 am

BH_Stag wrote:I suppose we could just say that somebody is playing well rather than just starting a new thread purely to call people mugs and blow your own trumpet :lol:

Last season his save percentage was in the bottom 2. This year he’s currently 6th. Plenty of factors go in to that…better defence, not as many shots against etc., one of the lowest xG’s against in the league, but it’s also fair to say that he is just performing better than last season. He’s making plenty of eye catching saves at the moment and is looking pretty assured in most aspects of his game.

I wasn’t too bothered about paying a fee to bring him back at the time, but this year he has been impressive and that’s great! People have opinions that are allowed to change, and I hope he keeps his form up throughout the season.

Quite, BH , but it wouldn't be Stagsnet if someone didn't want to take the moral high ground, 'I told you so' stance.
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:13 am

Pym played very well.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:16 am

I thought Pym and Wrexham goalkeeper were both outstanding.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:22 am

I have no doubt that Pym kept us in the game, particularly in the first half and he was my man of the match. Without his series of saves, Wrexham would have been home and dry before half time. His double save when we were already a goal down was outstanding. There were several more in that period that could easily have beaten a lesser keeper.

I wasn’t particularly impressed by the Wrexham keeper who was competent but didn’t honestly have any serious keeping to do.

I have to admit that Christy has exceeded my expectations this season and is already playing ahead of last year’s standards with his confidence clearly growing. Long may it continue and well done Christy
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:23 am

Yes I am going to take the moral high ground because it was clearly stated that we'd bought a keeper that didn't save anything. And he's made you look like mugs - although some didn't need help with that.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:29 am

Everyone pat Doom Merchant on the back :D
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:39 am

BH_Stag wrote:Everyone pat Doom Merchant on the back :D

Tissue?
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:44 am

wink68 wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:He's playing very well.

We could all be better with another couple of inches.

;) Yes wish my arms where a couple inches longer :D
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:56 am

I'm only on a wind up to see who'd bite. That was the whole point of the 'mugs' bait.

I see very little praise from those detractors of Pym from the summer. So he has kinda mugged folks off. The same sort of folks that can't wait for Akins and Bowery to have a poor game so they can clamour out of the undergrowth to remind everyone that they're still s**t.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:40 pm

So, he's doing his job this season, bully for him.
Personally I still think he's a bit suspect when long range shots come in, I.e. against PV.
No matter what, there's a train of thought on all social media that we'll lose if Akins isn't playing, so he's going to let one in per game at least while LA is out injured :lol:
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:39 pm

I thought Pym was a top League 2 goalkeeper when at Exeter. Since he has been with us I havn't changed my mind. Two great strikes by Wrexham strikers (Mullin and the other by a player rated at his Premiership club). I doubt many lower league goalkeepers would have saved them. But Stagsnet loves a scapegoat.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:59 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I thought Pym was a top League 2 goalkeeper when at Exeter. Since he has been with us I havn't changed my mind. Two great strikes by Wrexham strikers (Mullin and the other by a player rated at his Premiership club). I doubt many lower league goalkeepers would have saved them. But Stagsnet loves a scapegoat.

Who's that player Andy?
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:55 pm

Think those nay sayers have been very much silent since Pymys heroics against Peterborough. Can only really remember the criticisms he would come under fire for being his distribution, but honestly, for a League Two goalkeeper, folks expectations are too high
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:46 pm

Pym is our number 1 for a reason, and why so many have opinions from their football knowledge when they call and be critical of our players, then doomy and many more have the right to gloat,
He was there today keeping the team in the game, and another day someone will be there for him .
We win as a team and lose as a team, good or bad they wear the shirt, until they leave the club i will support them
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:30 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

I'm only on a wind up to see who'd bite. That was the whole point of the 'mugs' bait.

I see very little praise from those detractors of Pym from the summer. So he has kinda mugged folks off. The same sort of folks that can't wait for Akins and Bowery to have a poor game so they can clamour out of the undergrowth to remind everyone that they're still s**t.

You weren't really winding people up tho were you. You were having a go, bit of a difference....anyway the lad has done very well and certainly changed some folks opinion to the point he gets sung about.

Good for him,
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:59 pm

So your suggesting stags sign Ederson in January as he never concedes a goal o wait even Man City concede goals
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:10 pm

Pitkin wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

You weren't really winding people up tho were you. You were having a go, bit of a difference....anyway the lad has done very well and certainly changed some folks opinion to the point he gets sung about.

Good for him,

Read it however you want to read it fella. It'd be nice for those who got it wrong to reward the lad with some richly earned praise but it's difficult for many, I understand that after such damning critiques in the summer - would be a bit embarrassing.
It's what happens with too many Stags fans, they make their minds up about an individual, plant their flag, and sit sour-faced for a bollock-dropping incident to claim how right they were.

Others prefer to sit tight, have enough evidence to give a fairer review and then just get on with it.
I'd have thought the naysayers would have appreciated someone from the positive side of things, for once, jumping from the bushes, pointing and sneering, because there's a collection who've made it their way in life on these pages. It's quite literally speaking their language. Hope it's not upset their Sunday.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:07 am

There was a good argument for both keepers to have been MOM saturday.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:08 am

Agreed, two of the best keepers in the division.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum