{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lino last night

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lino last night

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:41 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I hear so much crap about women shouldn't be near the men's game; whether that's: playing, punditry or officiating and frankly it's misogynistic raspberrys and if anyone thinks that a woman shouldn't have an opinion or take part in the men's game then it's the accuser with the problem.

My daughter has been going to Stags for 15 of her 18 years. She has to listen to so much nonsense about how basically her and her sex know nothing about the game - she probably knows more about it (and Stags) than most supporters around her and most on this forum, but that doesn't suit the argument of your regular white male who of course knows everything about the game.

The lino last night dropped a clanger of all clangers and half of the middle-aged know-it-alls had primed themselves for her inadequacy from the minute she stepped on the pitch. However, if she's a crap lino then she's a crap lino, not a crap female lino.

*Steps back and waits for white middle-aged men (who probably love quoting 'woke') to get all precious*
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:05 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I hear so much crap about women shouldn't be near the men's game; whether that's: playing, punditry or officiating and frankly it's misogynistic raspberrys and if anyone thinks that a woman shouldn't have an opinion or take part in the men's game then it's the accuser with the problem.

My daughter has been going to Stags for 15 of her 18 years. She has to listen to so much nonsense about how basically her and sex know nothing about the game - she probably knows more about it (and Stags) than most supporters around her and most on this forum, but that doesn't suit the argument of your regular white male who of course knows everything about the game.

The lino last night dropped a clanger of all clangers and half of the middle-aged know-it-alls had primed themselves for her inadequacy from the minute she stepped on the pitch. However, if she's a crap lino then she's a crap lino, not a crap female lino.

*Steps back and waits for white middle-aged men (who probably love quoting 'woke') to get all precious*

Exactly what I was trying to say. I don’t think many people cared that she was female and crap. Just that she was crap.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:08 pm

Well said, Doomie.
Not sure what skin colour has to do with it, but well said none the less
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:23 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Well said, Doomie.
Not sure what skin colour has to do with it, but well said none the less

Because a big percentage of people with a prejudice have it against anyone not like themselves.
In fact most have a prejudice against anyone that isn't them.

People of all sex, race, religion, physical ability or disability are crap at their jobs, but their crapness isn't down to that aspect of their anatomy or personality.
I'd say the same if it was a bunch of African women saying that a bloke should be nowhere near officiating the Kenyan ladies snooker championship.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:31 pm

Women can't play against men and simply shouldn't officiate the men's game. Vice versa. The two games are so much different in pace and power.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:35 pm

jpstags wrote:Women can't play against men and simply shouldn't officiate the men's game. Vice versa. The two games are so much different in pace and power.

So, in your opinion, should they not watch or have an opinion on the men's game too?
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:35 pm

jpstags wrote:Women can't play against men and simply shouldn't officiate the men's game. Vice versa. The two games are so much different in pace and power.

That's ridiculous. It's like saying woman can only commentate on woman's football and not men's. Which has clearly been proven to be incorrect.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:46 pm

So she made a mistake and maybe cost us a goal but it won't be the last time it happens in football.

We see week in week out poor officiating even with the benefit of VAR, multiple reviews and slow mo's.

Was it a howler, of course it was and I bet she's gutted she got it so wrong.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:49 pm

pemill wrote:So she made a mistake and maybe cost us a goal but it won't be the last time it happens in football.

We see week in week out poor officiating even with the benefit of VAR, multiple reviews and slow mo's.

Was it a howler, of course it was and I bet she's gutted she got it so wrong.

She clearly was, as I've said elsewhere she apologised to the Stags bench when she passed them and repeatedly nervously touched her face and head with her free hand, fully aware of the vitriol and thousands of eyes boring into her back from behind her. Not excusing the awful mistake she made but you do wonder why they choose to do it ??
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Paulstag » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:53 pm

Ok, so she admitted to her mistake. Why was play not resumed with a drop ball to us?
Paulstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:00 pm

Paulstag wrote:Ok, so she admitted to her mistake. Why was play not resumed with a drop ball to us?

How would they do that when play had moved on, where from, with 21 players suddenly in the Vale area or crafting Stags a three on one opportunity?? Once the referee had accepted her decision and the ball played it was a done deal, none of the officials would have backed down.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:04 pm

The referee should not be exonerated here, that offside was so obvious he should have over-ruled the AR and allowed play to continue. It's nothing to do with gender, it's all about competence.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:05 pm

well done for stating your opinion, a lot wouldn't for fear of being demonised.
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Elkesley Stag » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:05 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

That's ridiculous. It's like saying woman can only commentate on woman's football and not men's. Which has clearly been proven to be incorrect.

When watching comments before games , at half time and full time I want to know that the person speaking knows what they are talking about and can draw on their past experiences to offer a balanced opinion . I would imagine Shearer knows more about the attacking side of the game than Micah Richards and vice versa . Equally there are some " experts " I recognise and still disagree with .

Not bothered what sex tv "experts " are but I do not want to think whose that ? . Half of the pundits now could have been drinking in the Talbot 20 minutes ago for all I know.
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:18 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

you say its proven to be incorrect. Outlets like sky and BBC have forced equality with having female pundits and viewing figures have significantly reduced as a result of it. My only issue with female pundits on the male game is the constant phrase 'if I was in the position' when they try to make a point. The fact is, they have never been in that position, nor will they ever be.

Let be right here, if you're watching a match and listening to the half time synopsis you want to listen to someone that has been there and done it giving you the views. The drop if viewing figures prove this
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:26 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

you say its proven to be incorrect. Outlets like sky and BBC have forced equality with having female pundits and viewing figures have significantly reduced as a result of it. My only issue with female pundits on the male game is the constant phrase 'if I was in the position' when they try to make a point. The fact is, they have never been in that position, nor will they ever be.

Let be right here, if you're watching a match and listening to the half time synopsis you want to listen to someone that has been there and done it giving you the views. The drop if viewing figures prove this

This is fascinating - where is the data for this? Working in sports media, this isn't something I haven't come across. Indeed the viewing figures for the opening weekend of the Premier League on Sky saw a year on year rise of 40% and of 50% of female viewers. (Source Sports Promedia)
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:29 pm

Ill dig it out GFB, its been widely documented. A lot of it coincided with Alex Scott
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:32 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

This is fascinating - where is the data for this? Working in sports media, this isn't something I haven't come across. Indeed the viewing figures for the opening weekend of the Premier League on Sky saw a year on year rise of 40% and of 50% of female viewers. (Source Sports Promedia)

Quite tough to believe those figures, given the rise of IPTV! (Regardless of the ins and outs of this current debate)

Fair play to Sky if that is indeed true!
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:40 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Ill dig it out GFB, its been widely documented. A lot of it coincided with Alex Scott

I saw the death of the show she presented so wonder if it is that
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:43 pm

struggling to find it now, which is slight egg on the face. basically football focus lost around 400k viewers when she took over.

There was a piece on sky saying they had lost viewers however due to the diversity, inclusion and equality it creates, it far outweighs the loss of viewers. It was that I was trying to find. It was a conscious business decision by sky knowing they'd take a hit.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:07 pm

Rob wrote:The referee should not be exonerated here, that offside was so obvious he should have over-ruled the AR and allowed play to continue. It's nothing to do with gender, it's all about competence.
Absolutely correct. The referee by not acting to correct a horrendous mistake compounded the issue.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:10 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:struggling to find it now, which is slight egg on the face. basically football focus lost around 400k viewers when she took over.

There was a piece on sky saying they had lost viewers however due to the diversity, inclusion and equality it creates, it far outweighs the loss of viewers. It was that I was trying to find. It was a conscious business decision by sky knowing they'd take a hit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Scott.html
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:11 pm

mhs wrote:Pear Cider is right.
The majority of women would probably see a man's hard tackle differently to a male.

Got to say that made me smile. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:14 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
mhs wrote:Pear Cider is right.
The majority of women would probably see a man's hard tackle differently to a male.

Got to say that made me smile. :D

Pear owes you a pint for digging him out of that hole…
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:16 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Chrisuknottm wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:struggling to find it now, which is slight egg on the face. basically football focus lost around 400k viewers when she took over.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Scott.html
Well if it's in the Daily Mail it's got to be right :?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum