{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lino last night

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lino last night

Postby yorkstag » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:10 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
part time pete wrote:I suppose the real question about the offside decision and other decisions that the Lino got wrong was Why?

Apparently the Lino is experienced and was good enough from previous games to officiate in a 4th Rd League cup tie.

Was it the weather conditions?
Was it shirt colours in foggy conditions?
Was it the crowd getting on to her because of her gender?

I suppose we will never know, but not ‘seeing’ that last defender for the offside decision ought to be investigated so lessons are learned.

An excuse of just saying ‘I didn’t see the defender’ isn’t good enough.

Exactly this Pete. The only question that should be being posed. Has bugger all to do with gender.

Exactly this.
And it’s the same with punditry - I do make an effort to listen to what’s being said rather than who says it.
I do at times think it’s all gone a bit too far and everyone needs to accept that we are all entitled to an opinion even white middle aged/ older men.
Back on topic - what would be wrong is if no action is taken on gender grounds. That decision was absolutely shocking.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:20 am

yorkstag wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
part time pete wrote:I suppose the real question about the offside decision and other decisions that the Lino got wrong was Why?

Apparently the Lino is experienced and was good enough from previous games to officiate in a 4th Rd League cup tie.

Was it the weather conditions?
Was it shirt colours in foggy conditions?
Was it the crowd getting on to her because of her gender?

I suppose we will never know, but not ‘seeing’ that last defender for the offside decision ought to be investigated so lessons are learned.

An excuse of just saying ‘I didn’t see the defender’ isn’t good enough.

Exactly this Pete. The only question that should be being posed. Has bugger all to do with gender.

Exactly this.
And it’s the same with punditry - I do make an effort to listen to what’s being said rather than who says it.
I do at times think it’s all gone a bit too far and everyone needs to accept that we are all entitled to an opinion even white middle aged/ older men.
Back on topic - what would be wrong is if no action is taken on gender grounds. That decision was absolutely shocking.

Nothing will be done.
It'll be a keep ya chin up, don't let it affect you, it was a blip so keep going you're doing a great job!!!
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby zod » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:46 am

I don't think the fog can be blamed, I was sat at the other end of the ground and could see it plain as day.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:10 pm

It comes down to the fact change is happening and you can either embrace it or have the attitude is to reject it all costs, probably because you are intimidated by it.

Opinions are good for a discussion but when you are making it about an identifying feature of someone it's not worth anything. Back your opinion up with actual fact rather than hearsay
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:22 pm

stag324 wrote:It comes down to the fact change is happening and you can either embrace it or have the attitude is to reject it all costs, probably because you are intimidated by it.

Opinions are good for a discussion but when you are making it about an identifying feature of someone it's not worth anything. Back your opinion up with actual fact rather than hearsay

Why would people be intimidated by it? That’s hardly a scientific standpoint and says more about your attitude to others and their assumed characteristics which is actually a mirror image of what you condemn.

Not all change is for the better which is something that is lost on some and resisting that change is not necessarily a bad thing. Of course that’s a general thought and maybe doesn’t include this situation but a blanket of condemnation on those who won’t accept change is just as flawed as the resistors themselves.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:38 pm

Personally I think men should referee Men's games and women should referee women's game...
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby The Hoffmeister » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:39 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
stag324 wrote:It comes down to the fact change is happening and you can either embrace it or have the attitude is to reject it all costs, probably because you are intimidated by it.

Why would people be intimidated by it? That’s hardly a scientific standpoint and says more about your attitude to others and their assumed characteristics which is actually a mirror image of what you condemn.

Not all change is for the better which is something that is lost on some and resisting that change is not necessarily a bad thing. Of course that’s a general thought and maybe doesn’t include this situation but a blanket of condemnation on those who won’t accept change is just as flawed as the resistors themselves.

Well done Sandy and spot on :thumbup:
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby scotsstag » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:46 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

Great post, nail firmly on head....
(Apologies if any nails were offended by my post)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:55 pm

It's not about gender, race or anything else that can be dredged up, it's about getting the decision, and rules right, on the night, during a game, and all three officials failed miserably. What if that had been promotion on the line on Tuesday, would the same people be shrugging there shoulders and saying its just one of those things and forget it. I think not.
If there not up to the job, they shouldn't be doing it.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby five to three » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:05 pm

diablo wrote:Personally I think men should referee Men's games and women should referee women's game...

And male police officers should only arrest men and female police officers only arrest woman. And women should only teach girls and men only teach boys. Actually maybe men should only listen to men and women only listen to women.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagsfan6493 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:35 pm

diablo wrote:Personally I think men should referee Men's games and women should referee women's game...

Why?
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:37 pm

Maybe we should have a male only and female only threads on stagsnet, or perhaps a male only and female only stands at the One Call or males only voting for males and women only voting for females at elections. It's 2023 things move on :shock:
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:25 pm

I’m not intimidated by change but you seem to be saying opinions are ok providing you agree with them. The current changes in this area are being driven by a minority.

The point here is I have no issue on gender in terms of officiating but I have a massive issue with gender coming into play when sanctions are discussed. Do you really think a male official would be on duty this weekend after that fiasco? Well you know the answer.

That decision was absolutely appalling.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:05 pm

yorkstag wrote:

I’m not intimidated by change but you seem to be saying opinions are ok providing you agree with them. The current changes in this area are being driven by a minority.

The point here is I have no issue on gender in terms of officiating but I have a massive issue with gender coming into play when sanctions are discussed. Do you really think a male official would be on duty this weekend after that fiasco? Well you know the answer.

Actually all male officials this weekend. I'm not bothered whether male or female officials I just want them to be competent.You are right about the decision, it was appalling.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:54 pm

I think it's immaterial what gender the line person was. But it was a bad decision. The question is what will be done about it, and what will be done about Flints Booking?
Since the linesman apparently admitted they were mistaken some kind of sanction should be applied to the officials. Since Flint was questioning an incorrect decision (all be it in a too robust a way) the least that can be done is cancel the yellow. I know it's not possible to review a yellow but these should be regarded as exceptional circumstances.
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:20 pm

robeyre wrote:I think it's immaterial what gender the line person was. But it was a bad decision. The question is what will be done about it, and what will be done about Flints Booking?
Since the linesman apparently admitted they were mistaken some kind of sanction should be applied to the officials. Since Flint was questioning an incorrect decision (all be it in a too robust a way) the least that can be done is cancel the yellow. I know it's not possible to review a yellow but these should be regarded as exceptional circumstances.

If Flint was deemed by the ref to have been abusive then it will not be rescinded no matter what the cause of his outburst.
I think we can all predict what the ref's report will say
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:27 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
robeyre wrote:I think it's immaterial what gender the line person was. But it was a bad decision. The question is what will be done about it, and what will be done about Flints Booking?

If Flint was deemed by the ref to have been abusive then it will not be rescinded no matter what the cause of his outburst.
I think we can all predict what the ref's report will say

bookings can't be rescinded after a game. But remember that yellow cards are competition specific anyway, so Flint's yellow is now irrelevent with us out.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:51 pm

Whilst this is obviously dated nonsense, it's also not possible due to the fact there are nowhere near enough female officials to cover female games. This is one of the reasons the FA have fast tracked female officials so young girls have someone they can emulate. At the moment I'd say their ability doesn't quite match the level they are at due to inexperience (that will change over time), but you could equally say that about a lot of male officials! Most on this thread have concentrated on the Assistant, but the referee himself was no better, he could and should have over-ridden the offside and has already made high profile errors this season, also due to his inexperience.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:33 pm

yorkstag wrote:

I agree, Intimidated was the wrong word to use here, 'fear' would have been a better word as this is one of the main drivers of change in human behaviour. - If you don't believe me just to a little desktop research and you will see it is.

I disagree that this is being driven by the minority, I would say the majority of people are good with it and aren't bothered either way.

Best agree to disagree on these points.

That I think we all can agree on, but for me the fact that an apology followed so quickly shows the true character of the lineperson.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum