{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Wrexham scorefred sponsored by me

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Wrexham scorefred sponsored by me

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:47 am

My mind is settled as regards our strikers these days. They're all going to miss far more than they score. DKD for instance was flying but since he stopped scoring his form in front of goal has been frankly embarrassing; however, he works his nuts off, creates for others and never lets his head drop. Therefore I'm certain that he'll have another spell of goalscoring. He's a very likable player and a crowd pleaser but unfortunately for DKD (and I'm only using him as an example) his lack of consistent quality will keep him in the lower leagues; otherwise he'd have been playing Championship level ages ago.

We have to learn to accept that these players and their workrate and heart are what has got us in an advantageous position but don't expect them to suddenly start taking all these chances because that ability isn't there.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:54 am

Mullin moaning about the state of our pitch. Doesn't it rain in Wales? The ground staff did well to get the game on. He should be thankful they are through. Imagine his reaction if they hold lost :(
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:04 am

oldweststander wrote:Small margins.

Wrexham had two quality strikers working in tandem, we had one capable striker DKD working, more or less, alone.

Good to see Oates back but he isn't a reliable striker, he scores spectacular goals and can cause havoc with his speed but he is and never will be a Mullin type goal poacher.

We need a capable striker in January, even if it means the cheque book coming out, we cannot go on missing chance after chance.

Mullin's goal was what separated the teams in the end, but maybe a lesson to learn for our strike force? He didn't try to bust the back of the net he simply stoked it in wide of the keeper. Oastsy built a reputation with Stags of "never scores a tap-in, they're all screamers", is he still trying to live up to that? Swan and Gale have both shown intelligence in this department in the past, but all too infrequently, everyone else uses blockbuster techniques which are either straight at the keeper or flying wide. Each team last night scored with just one wham bam full throttle shot (of which there were many), the vast majority of these by both teams were either off target or within reach of the goalkeeper's reaction range.

We have capable strikers IMO, they just need to sit down and look at how Mullin scored yesterday and rethink their techniques.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby wink68 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:59 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:Accomplished strikers are of course ten-a-penny come January, clubs are dying to give away their prized assets so shouldn’t be a problem there.

NC has made his squad choices about balance, shored up the back which everyone was crying out for. I’d back him to develop the ones we have rather than pining for two months to ultimately be disappointed on the last day of the window again.

The seasons gone pretty well so far. Injuries to some key players, but every team will say that but we've cope with them quite well. The one thing that hasn't gone to plan for Nigel is the form of Swan. You wold of expected hm to have bagged 3 goals off the bench and pushing for a start based on last season. Two league goals turning to draws into wins and one of the bench last night would see us top of the league and at least in the hat for the second round. Do we bin him off in January and spend more money on a striker who may no do any better or does Nigel use his years of football experience to coach a lad who we know has goals in him. Too many peaple on here think we are on football manager rather than the real world.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:05 pm

wink68 wrote:
wayno cordiniho wrote:Accomplished strikers are of course ten-a-penny come January, clubs are dying to give away their prized assets so shouldn’t be a problem there.

NC has made his squad choices about balance, shored up the back which everyone was crying out for. I’d back him to develop the ones we have rather than pining for two months to ultimately be disappointed on the last day of the window again.

The seasons gone pretty well so far. Injuries to some key players, but every team will say that but we've cope with them quite well. The one thing that hasn't gone to plan for Nigel is the form of Swan. You wold of expected hm to have bagged 3 goals off the bench and pushing for a start based on last season. Two league goals turning to draws into wins and one of the bench last night would see us top of the league and at least in the hat for the second round. Do we bin him off in January and spend more money on a striker who may no do any better or does Nigel use his years of football experience to coach a lad who we know has goals in him. Too many peaple on here think we are on football manager rather than the real world.

There has to be a reason he's not delivering goals and based on last season he knows how to finish so it could be technique, confidence or indeed the curse of the permanent contract. He makes a lot of runs but doesn't receive the through ball....is that him or his team mates.....whichever is the answer its the Manager's job to resolve it. He must be satisfying NC to some degree off the pitch or in training so why isn't it happening in a match.....over to you Mr Clough .
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby wink68 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:12 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
wink68 wrote:

There has to be a reason he's not delivering goals and based on last season he knows how to finish so it could be technique, confidence or indeed the curse of the permanent contract. He makes a lot of runs but doesn't receive the through ball....is that him or his team mates.....whichever is the answer its the Manager's job to resolve it. He must be satisfying NC to some degree off the pitch or in training so why isn't it happening in a match.....over to you Mr Clough .

Its not like he's missing chances, he's not getting them. I know his personal like isn't has it was last season. There's lots of reasons young lads have a dip in form. That's why the manager gets the big bucks to sort it out.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:26 pm

We lost a cracking game of football against a very good League 2 side.
We again missed chances, but tbf, so did Wrexham.
However, for me we were over ran and outplayed in midfield again.
Reed has had two poor games this week, he was head and shoulders the worst player on the pitch last night.
I hope he is fully rested on Tuesday.
Lewis for me needs a rest too against Salford....I understood his inclusion early on as he offered protection to Bowery and tbf to Lewis, he played well too but he is not a patch on Maris or Clarke though in either getting on the ball, driving us forward or passing it.
I hope that Maris and Clarke are both fit as they are our driving force in midfield and have been for the last 3 seasons or so
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:42 pm

As for Swan I feel as though he's not getting the minutes consistently enough.

I've not checked and will likely be proven wrong (as is tradition :D) but I feel like he's started a game, got subbed off and then got 10-20 minutes from the bench the next game.

I don't think he's started 2 games in a row? He did 90 minutes against Sheff Weds, has he done another full 90?Then people wonder why he's not finding form. A few games he's come on with us having the result "in the bag" already.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:57 pm

Gazza, I think Swanny and Gale have had ample opportunities to show something and give Cloughie something to think about but haven't proven anything. Swan has looked a shadow of his potential from last season; Gale has been largely dreadful and his confidence looks absolutely shot. They're well behind Akins, Oates, DKD and even Bowery, for me.

They're both youngsters that need an arm around them but both are of an age where they need to grasp their chances in the team, but have fallen short - well short in Gale's instance. I've not seen a pair of strikers so in need of a goal in a long time.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby frt1987 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:54 pm

At least one record still remains after last night. We still havent won a FA cup tie at Field Mill against league opposition for 17 years now
frt1987
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Pitkin » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:30 pm

frt1987 wrote:At least one record still remains after last night. We still havent won a FA cup tie at Field Mill against league opposition for 17 years now

That is an incredible statistic...
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:35 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Gazza, I think Swanny and Gale have had ample opportunities to show something and give Cloughie something to think about but haven't proven anything. Swan has looked a shadow of his potential from last season; Gale has been largely dreadful and his confidence looks absolutely shot. They're well behind Akins, Oates, DKD and even Bowery, for me.

They're both youngsters that need an arm around them but both are of an age where they need to grasp their chances in the team, but have fallen short - well short in Gale's instance. I've not seen a pair of strikers so in need of a goal in a long time.

Right, so what do you think we should do with them now? Swan signed a 3-year deal in the summer with the option of a further year. Gale is a little easier to get rid of his runs to the end of the season but has a year option.

Are these the players we need to sell in January to bring this forward in that people say we need? Who is buying them? Or are we going to spend even more money on this fantastic player who scores 90 goals a season and is faster than prime Usain Bolt. We both know that if a striker misses a shot he should be shot at dawn so must score 90.

I don't disagree with your assertion they are behind those players. What I argue is that when we get injuries and these squad players who get 10 mins here and there need to come into the fold aren't match fit and struggle. Look what's happened. Akins' natural backup has been playing RB, and he got written off ~60 minutes or so into his first proper game back up top. Despite providing the flick on for Oates. It won't go down as a bowery assist because the defender got a touch to Oates' touch forwards and then he won it back.

I get Swan and Gale are resigned to the bench so far but there is no point giving them hardly any time to do something in.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:00 pm

There on the bench for a reason. Yet again Swan came on again and showed absolutely nothing. If he wants a permanent first team place, he doing a good job in hiding it. I've seen nothing from him yet in the opportunities he's been given. Gale likewise. Take these two out, a drop in form from DKD, and Oates only having been back for a game and a half, and we look pretty short up front. That's why we need someone else up front, not least,because it's taking us 10 chances to score a goal.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:06 pm

Have to agree with Bigalstag1, we are shooting ourselves in the foot game after game.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby SelstonStag88 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:13 pm

Bowery did well upfront he was just starting to get into his rhythm won all his flick Ons. We looked like we could score another, the subs came ( wrong subs) and we lost any threat we had.
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:17 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:Gazza, I think Swanny and Gale have had ample opportunities to show something and give Cloughie something to think about but haven't proven anything. Swan has looked a shadow of his potential from last season; Gale has been largely dreadful and his confidence looks absolutely shot. They're well behind Akins, Oates, DKD and even Bowery, for me.

Right, so what do you think we should do with them now? Swan signed a 3-year deal in the summer with the option of a further year. Gale is a little easier to get rid of his runs to the end of the season but has a year option.

Are these the players we need to sell in January to bring this forward in that people say we need? Who is buying them? Or are we going to spend even more money on this fantastic player who scores 90 goals a season and is faster than prime Usain Bolt. We both know that if a striker misses a shot he should be shot at dawn so must score 90.

I don't disagree with your assertion they are behind those players. What I argue is that when we get injuries and these squad players who get 10 mins here and there need to come into the fold aren't match fit and struggle. Look what's happened. Akins' natural backup has been playing RB, and he got written off ~60 minutes or so into his first proper game back up top. Despite providing the flick on for Oates. It won't go down as a bowery assist because the defender got a touch to Oates' touch forwards and then he won it back.

I get Swan and Gale are resigned to the bench so far but there is no point giving them hardly any time to do something in.

We don't have to spend any money, Vale had 3 loanees which were the difference between the two sides. I'd get a loan striker in and loan out Gale to a Conference side - he needs to be playing regularly so the club can judge whether he remains here at the end of the season - 10 minutes here and there are doing nothing for him whatsoever. As for Swan, he is a good player and I am sure he will come good, he's had an unsettled start to the season with injury and hasn't had a decent run in the side - he'll play on Tues, probably alongside Gale, so has another chance to grab a goal and kick start his season.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:18 pm

oldweststander wrote:Have to agree with Bigalstag1, we are shooting ourselves in the foot game after game.
No we arn't. We have just had an unbeaten run of 19 games. We have lost two cup ties against two decent teams. Promotion is the aim this season. Cup runs are nice, as we have witnessed this season. However, they can be a distraction. We now move back to the league programme. We need something from Salford, which will be difficult, but I'm optimistic. Typical Stagsnet, we lose two games and suddenly some opinions are we are "shooting ourselves in the foot". Fickle or what ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:24 pm

The cup run is over pity because we need the cash, the players gave 100% and lost by 1 goal after missing chances in both games.
Port vale and Wrexham were much more competent and slicker but we were in both games until the final whistle.
We have suffered a big disappointment in the form of Gale and Swan. one a strong front man the other a fox in the box.
both games lost because we failed to take our chances.
How strange when players get their shots on target like Mullin proved it can be quite effective,.
Clough says scoring goals the most difficult job in football, and at Mansfield he is proving his point The phase at Mansfield he should have done better, how did he miss that.
FRUSTRATION its a good job Nigel has been their and done it, me, i would just scream.
After a chance of another £10-000 on Tues it wont be easy, we move back to the bread and butter at Salford, it never gets easy.
Soon be January with Macca and Quinn back hopefully we need goals, so our strike force had better find form creating and scoring.
the chance is their for them to take , i wish them well
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:39 pm

bear 73 wrote:The cup run is over pity because we need the cash, the players gave 100% and lost by 1 goal after missing chances in both games.
Port vale and Wrexham were much more competent and slicker but we were in both games until the final whistle.
We have suffered a big disappointment in the form of Gale and Swan. one a strong front man the other a fox in the box.
both games lost because we failed to take our chances.
How strange when players get their shots on target like Mullin proved it can be quite effective,.
Clough says scoring goals the most difficult job in football, and at Mansfield he is proving his point The phase at Mansfield he should have done better, how did he miss that.
FRUSTRATION its a good job Nigel has been their and done it, me, i would just scream.
After a chance of another £10-000 on Tues it wont be easy, we move back to the bread and butter at Salford, it never gets easy.
Soon be January with Macca and Quinn back hopefully we need goals, so our strike force had better find form creating and scoring.
the chance is their for them to take , i wish them well
We will get it right and will be playing in League 1 next season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:42 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Have to agree with Bigalstag1, we are shooting ourselves in the foot game after game.
No we arn't. We have just had an unbeaten run of 19 games. We have lost two cup ties against two decent teams. Promotion is the aim this season. Cup runs are nice, as we have witnessed this season. However, they can be a distraction. We now move back to the league programme. We need something from Salford, which will be difficult, but I'm optimistic. Typical Stagsnet, we lose two games and suddenly some opinions are we are "shooting ourselves in the foot". Fickle or what ?

Not fickle mate just agreeing with Nigel, the strikers are not taking the chances.

Yes 19 games unbeaten but with a more experienced striker up front we would be top of the league.

All those around us have, at least, one good dependable striker on board, we don't have one at the club.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:06 pm

So I had a look. Swan has started 2 games in a row. Barrow in thebelague and Peterbrough in the cup. He got an assist in the 1-0 win against barrow then scored the penalty against Peterborough in the first few minutes.

So yeah an assist and a goal he needed. What happened next? Yeah dropped and go 10 minutes. I'm sure that did his confidence a world of good.

You could argue he got a chance, seized it and still lost out.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:21 pm

Gale is the one that concerns me most Gazza. He had an excellent end to last season and very few of us didn't expect him to come on leaps and bounds this season. Genuinely I thought he'd be challenging for a starting place. However, he looks devoid of all confidence and is currently barely putting a foot right. I wonder what the issue is, because there's a player in there somewhere.

Personally I wouldn't send him out on loan in January. He looks like a lad who that would have a detrimental effect. He needs an arm around a shoulder and starting in EFL games with some one-to-one man-management from the gaffer or Akins or someone.

Swan looks a hardier type who can play his way into form, for me. He just needs a couple of goals.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:56 pm

Some good points
Football is a strange game with a whole load of options of difficulty
We go 20 odd games unbeaten and then lose 2 on the bounce and out of 2 cups
I just hope it’s not a period of slipping back down in the table
Agree
Strikers we have are NOT prolific
Love Oates and his speed and drive but he is unlikely to reach really high double figures and Swan is not yet up to speed and DKD is going to score odd ones only
I hope Nigel has a plan for January to get a strong striker in of the old Stant style
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:15 am

Lots of good points on here about the strikers. Akins is clearly crucial to the way we play, both Oates and Swan I feel always need a run of around 5 games before they hit their stride. I thought Oates was just starting to do that in the Sheff Wed game. I do think the solution is more simple than buying more players as what price do you put on a dependable 20 goal a season striker in January? Would probably be 500k or more to get a team to let one go. I’d like to see us go back to Oates and Akins up front with DKD at the head of the diamond with Reed, Maris and Clarke behind them. If Akins is not for play Bowery in that position
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:22 am

oldweststander wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Not fickle mate just agreeing with Nigel, the strikers are not taking the chances.

Yes 19 games unbeaten but with a more experienced striker up front we would be top of the league.

All those around us have, at least, one good dependable striker on board, we don't have one at the club.
We are the sixth top scorers in the league and KD is currently ninth in the top scorers chart.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum