{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Port Vale score thread spomsored by we owe them one (ko7.45)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Port Vale score thread spomsored by we owe them one (ko7

Postby Stag95 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:03 am

The Hoffmeister wrote:
Stag95 wrote:There were some weird tactics last night, McDonald was clearly told to not drive forward for the most part and tuck in as a 3rd defender instead of providing width. Not sure why we decided to go in that direction especially without playing with wingers

You do spout some guff.
If you hadn't noticed he is a defender, it's his primary job.
He was pushed back by their excellent RWB Sang who put in some absolutely quality crosses, MacDonald had no choice due to no natural left sided player giving him a dig out, it's sometimes the quality of the opposition not the bleeding tactics.

Do I? :lol: There were plenty of times where we had the ball on the right and there were acres of space from McDonald to run into but didn't, and we ended up passing back to the keeper instead of making the switch that were usually really good at
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:34 am

Agree that a big strong burly striker is required for this team to add a threat up front in addition to DKD Oates and Swan
None if these fit that bill or are prolific goal scorers but have their own talents of course
We have no idea how long before Oates is injured again and it’s a possibility
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:43 am

tillydog123 wrote:Agree that a big strong burly striker is required for this team to add a threat up front in addition to DKD Oates and Swan
None if these fit that bill or are prolific goal scorers but have their own talents of course
We have no idea how long before Oates is injured again and it’s a possibility
What's Reedy doing these days ? :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:47 am

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Dont think theyre scapegoating , andy. Just saying what they saw. Thats what a forum is for.

I think they are. We lose a game and a player gets called out. Do you think Gale was worse than the others strikers ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:26 pm

We were beaten by the better team from League 1 - no more to be said.

Fantastic to have got this far, what an achievement, we normally go out 1st round.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:31 pm

pemill wrote:We were beaten by the better team from League 1 - no more to be said.

Fantastic to have got this far, what an achievement, we normally go out 1st round.

you know what, that’s spot on just disappointed to have gone out like that to Vale ! up the Stags
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:46 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
pemill wrote:We were beaten by the better team from League 1 - no more to be said.

you know what, that’s spot on just disappointed to have gone out like that to Vale ! up the Stags

I couldn't believe the difference in Vale in 18 months from being a run of the mill League 2 outfit to that skillfully, physical , fast and space aware team we played last night
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:47 pm

Fair enough, but it doesn't stop me wondering if the offside decision had not been given and we had scored (which I'm 90% sure we would) what would have happened. Maybe gone through on penalties. Both Sheffield Wednesday and Peterborough outplayed us at times in the previous rounds, yet we came through. It's typical Stags to have this happen in such an important game. I will be disappointed when the drawer is made for the next round seeing Port Vale's name pulled out against a top side instead of us.

Putting all that aside, it's all about the league. Sometimes these things have a way of levelling out. Maybe playing a top side and getting a hiding could affect Port Vale and could have derailed us.
So I wouldn't be surprised if we swap league places with Port Vale next season. Maybe that would be some kind of justice.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:13 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

I couldn't believe the difference in Vale in 18 months from being a run of the mill League 2 outfit to that skillfully, physical , fast and space aware team we played last night

Same. I was expecting it to be a very even match, perhaps even a game where we have the better of the play, considering their current run of bad form and our run of good form.

The most eye opening thing was how much more athletic and mobile they were all across the pitch, especially in midfield compared to us. They played nice football too in the first half in particular, but Reed, Maris and Lewis couldn’t get near their midfield and were a yard off the pace all game. We weren’t landing on any 50/50 balls in midfield at all. Some of that may be down to tired legs on our part, but it just goes to show how much we’ll need to improve again if we get promoted to properly compete in league 1.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:20 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Same. I was expecting it to be a very even match, perhaps even a game where we have the better of the play, considering their current run of bad form and our run of good form.

The most eye opening thing was how much more athletic and mobile they were all across the pitch, especially in midfield compared to us. They played nice football too in the first half in particular, but Reed, Maris and Lewis couldn’t get near their midfield and were a yard off the pace all game. We weren’t landing on any 50/50 balls in midfield at all. Some of that may be down to tired legs on our part, but it just goes to show how much we’ll need to improve again if we get promoted to properly compete in league 1.

A morsel of positivity from this cup run is that if we do earn promotion Mr Clough knows already that he can't show any loyalty and give certain players a chance in League 1, unfortunately in my opinion it's quite a lot of them looking at last night and Peterborough game
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:40 pm

Our 19 game unbeaten run this season comes to an end but a tremendous effort to get to 31st October before losing your first game.

This was probably our worst performance of the season along with Col U away where we did manage to find a late equaliser after throwing Aden Flint up front. We tried the same against Port Vale but this time it did not work although he won a few headers.

Mansfield never really got going in the 1st half apart from a good counter attack by George Maris and Davis Keillor Dunn having a good volley saved. Port Vale closed the space down in midfield really well and Mansfield had to resort to playing long balls up front but we had no target man as Lucas Akins was injured. Will Swan and DKD were going to win nothing in the air. Will Swan made a couple of decent runs down the channels. I really wanted him to do well after making a good impact on Saturday against Walsall. It would have done wonders for his confidence

I thought Alfie Devine (on loan from Tottenham) and Ollie Arblaster (Sheffield United), the two 19 year old England U20 players in midfield for Port Vale, were tremendous. Alfie Devine was the difference between the two sides as he picked the ball up in midfield in the 2nd half, ran at the Stags defence and curled a lovely shot into the bottom corner of the net. A terrific goal. He looked Premier League quality although he should have been yellow carded for constantly kicking the ball away.

Nigel Clough made a treble substitution bringing on James Gale Hiram Boateng and Rhys Oates. It was great to see Rhys Oates back in action and he had a couple of good runs at the Vale defence. It was also good to see Stephen McLaughlin back on the pitch. I would have taken Aaron Lewis off and moved Ollie Clarke over to the right. I thought Aaron Lewis had a below average game against Walsall and the same again last night. Ollie Clarke can drive the team forward and also score goals.

Port Vale deserved the win but it was annoying that the Stags did not do themselves justice in front of the cameras which is often the case (apart from Notts County!).

We now need to focus on getting players fully fit and keep the unbeaten run going in the league. Lucas Akins is a big miss and we do not have a back up target man unless JB9 goes back to being a No 9 which he might well have to do.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:53 pm

Gutted certainly a sinking feeling, we were out played last night they shown quality on the ball and looked a yard quicker very much like Peterborough but last night we could not get a late goal,
Most fans would say the best team won and in cup competition you play who you draw, Port Vale looked winnable but they gave us a lesson in our short comings.
I have enjoyed most comments and agree we fell short.
The squad gave 100% and with only 1 goal down we were in it till the final whistle, I must admit their goal from distance Pym i expect him to do better. , Gale well him and Swan are still struggling, the evening said it all when Gale failed a good opportunity to put telling crosses in the last few minutes.
We have also missed out financially , Young players need to learn and it can be painful for fans .
Macca and Oates getting game time a bonus, and with small clubs cup runs come to end, missing out on history is a downer
.Akins missing well they always play better when not on the pitch, the squad is there and players have a chance to stake a claim.
Coming away thinking the best team on the day won, we take the hit and move on, the challenge is the next game . WREXHAM.
Another top side , Its the big games we cherish but defeat is hard to take and a win makes us world beaters. still a good time to be a Stag
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:55 pm

Not heard from NC on the match yet ?
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:00 pm

Swan & Gale need to be together upfront. Our style changes when Akins is not on the pitch
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:16 pm

marksay wrote:Not heard from NC on the match yet ?

;)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:22 pm

also
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:46 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Swan & Gale need to be together upfront. Our style changes when Akins is not on the pitch

I think Swan and Gale need to be together sat on the bench, respectively. Neither of them have scored yet from open play this season and it’s November.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:54 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Swan & Gale need to be together upfront. Our style changes when Akins is not on the pitch

I think Swan and Gale need to be together sat on the bench, respectively. Neither of them have scored yet from open play this season and it’s November.

So which inflatable forward are you going to take out of the cupboard and pump up to play up front for us if you don’t start either of those two?
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:05 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

So which inflatable forward are you going to take out of the cupboard and pump up to play up front for us if you don’t start either of those two?

What do you mean? :lol: How about starting Lucas Akins and Davis Keillor Dunn? :lol: :lol:

Even if you’re just talking about Saturday against Wrexham, Akins should be back considering that Clough said on Monday he was 50/50 for last night. Obviously Keillor Dunn is a no brainer to start up front with Akins. Moving forwards, a fit Rhys Oates will start a lot of games up top alongside Akins and Keillor Dunn will play behind them both at the tip of the diamond. Swan and Gale don’t deserve to play - they had a golden chance to make the most out of increased opportunity these last two months with Oates out and they’ve not taken it at all. And as a pair, Swan and Gale really don’t compliment each other whatsoever.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:58 pm

I don’t think Akins will start on Saturday as he won’t be fit. You’ve fallen for the famous Clough bluff. Keillor Dunn will play his usual midfield roll and Oates isn’t fit enough to do a full match yet.

Like it or not, apart from JB9, Gale and Swan are the best we will have available and I can’t see Jordan being moved up front. If by some miracle Akins does start, Wrexham will batter his eye and it’s not worth risking him being out long term when he’s needed for the league.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:32 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I don’t think Akins will start on Saturday as he won’t be fit. You’ve fallen for the famous Clough bluff. Keillor Dunn will play his usual midfield roll and Oates isn’t fit enough to do a full match yet.

Like it or not, apart from JB9, Gale and Swan are the best we will have available and I can’t see Jordan being moved up front. If by some miracle Akins does start, Wrexham will batter his eye and it’s not worth risking him being out long term when he’s needed for the league.

Keillor Dunn has started 6 of the last 7 games up top, not in midfield. Wrexham aren’t going to ‘batter Akins eye’ either :lol: start Dunn up top with Akins, but if Akins can’t play I’d try Bowery up front with Dunn seen as though it’s a cup game. Bowery can hold the ball up. Either way, when Oates has more minutes in his tank, Swan and Gale aren’t going to play much at all.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:42 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I don’t think Akins will start on Saturday as he won’t be fit. You’ve fallen for the famous Clough bluff. Keillor Dunn will play his usual midfield roll and Oates isn’t fit enough to do a full match yet.

Keillor Dunn has started 6 of the last 7 games up top, not in midfield. Wrexham aren’t going to ‘batter Akins eye’ either :lol: start Dunn up top with Akins, but if Akins can’t play I’d try Bowery up front with Dunn seen as though it’s a cup game. Bowery can hold the ball up. Either way, when Oates has more minutes in his tank, Swan and Gale aren’t going to play much at all.
I agree with Sandy, Akins won't be fit to play.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby SelstonStag88 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:43 pm

Go Bowery upfront gives us the closest replacement to Akins. Slot Johnson back in at rb give us that CJ/AL partnership back.

I’d imagine with clough there won’t be many changes, if any at all.
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:56 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:An horrendous offside decision did not cost us a place in the last eight; the amount of chatter leaving the ground about that offside completely took away from the fact that Vale controlled the midfield, pressed us better than any side this season and bossed the ninety minutes. Maybe credit to them as the best side we've played this season? They broke our way of playing and created our own failings on the ball.

Yes I agree that the worst lino call I've seen live in forty years but we wouldn't have scored; we weren't scoring all night. And Port Vale in the last sixteen was a crap draw, anyone thinking differently doesn't really get how lower league clubs, their bank balances and their glamour starved support requires a big name from time to time.

We were a couple of incidents away from winning the match. DKD had a fine volley which could so easily have beaten the Vale keeper had it been a couple of feet either side.

And I haven't seen the replay of their goal, but it looked like an unlucky deflection took the ball past Pym. We were outplayed in midfield throughout, but ultimately we didn't get the lucky break and they did. Vale played well but only inched past us by the single goal. Being the obviously superior team doesn't mean you deserve to win.

Our reward could have been a quarter final against a big club. That would have been ten times better than a fourth round match at Middlesborough. Opportunities like that only crop up very rarely, so I was glad that we drew a beatable side.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:05 pm

Well we lost, as was always a possibility and obviously it would have been much, much better to have drawn a big club in Rd 3 or 4, to suggest otherwise is frankly bizarre!. In fact, if we'd won last night we'd have had a greater probability of playing Boro in the QF than we had in round 3 or 4 :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum