{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough's Managerial Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Clough's Managerial Games

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:41 am

Going down a wikipedia wormhole I saw that Nigel is only now 14 games behind his Dad in terms of games he's managed (1,439 v 1,453). To have such longevity and to have managed as many games as a legend like Brian would be a great achievement in itself, let alone that he was his Dad. It's not clear what game he will pass the milestone, with being in FA and Carabao Cup, but the latest it'll be is Grimsby home on Boxing Day. It could also be a Carabao Cup Quarter Final w/c 18th December if we beat Port Vale, which would be an amazing way to pass it.
Last edited by Marky Mark on Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Re: Clough's Managerial Games

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:43 am

Should be a nice Chrimbo present for him.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:47 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Going down a wikipedia wormhole I saw that Nigel is only now 14 games behind his Dad in terms of games he's managed (1,439 v 1,453). To have such longevity and to have managed as many games as a legend like Brian would be a great achievement in itself, let alone that he was his Dad. It's not clear what game he will pass the milestone, with being in FA and Carabao Cup, but the latest it'll be is Grimsby home on Boxing Day. It could also be a Carabao Cup Quarter Final w/c 18th December if we beat Port Vale, which would be an amazing way to pass it.

I wish there was a "love it" button on here.

Incredible stat. Thanks for posting it.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:52 pm

I wonder if Clough knows this, more importantly, would he enjoy it being celebrated if there was to be some form of acknowledgement?
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:32 pm

Am I right in thinking (and believe me, this is purely based on memory) that Clough is probably our longest serving (or nearly longest serving manager) since Ian Greaves. I know Billy Dearden had a couple of stints which when added together would exceed him, but I think he probably past Paul Cox now, and I can't think of many others who have had much longevity.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:40 pm

Gruff wrote:Am I right in thinking (and believe me, this is purely based on memory) that Clough is probably our longest serving (or nearly longest serving manager) since Ian Greaves. I know Billy Dearden had a couple of stints which when added together would exceed him, but I think he probably past Paul Cox now, and I can't think of many others who have had much longevity.

10 short of Paul Cox (175), next one in the sights is Billy Dearden (combined 197), then Tommy Cummings (201), then George Foster (217) and then Ian Greaves (311). All from Wikipedia, Martin or Paul might see it differently though
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:23 pm

If you'd have asked me how many games George Foster managed I wouldn't have got close to that, really surprising.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:43 pm

Sharp wrote:If you'd have asked me how many games George Foster managed I wouldn't have got close to that, really surprising.

The 317 that Wikipedia has it down as (I mis-typed 311) does seem a lot considering it was only 6 years he was manager as, but I've just counted up from Jack Retter/Paul Taylor's book and actually got it to 329. His 5 full seasons had an average of 56 games in each. Last game was a 2-1 defeat at Notts County in Feb 89
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:06 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
Sharp wrote:If you'd have asked me how many games George Foster managed I wouldn't have got close to that, really surprising.

The 317 that Wikipedia has it down as (I mis-typed 311) does seem a lot considering it was only 6 years he was manager as, but I've just counted up from Jack Retter/Paul Taylor's book and actually got it to 329. His 5 full seasons had an average of 56 games in each. Last game was a 2-1 defeat at Notts County in Feb 89

I think you mean first game Mark. An absolute legend and nowhere near as bad a manager as some claim (his win ratio was almost exactly the same as Ian Greaves!) - I'll never forget the way he was treated after a heavy defeat at Orient when he came to speak to supporters - fronting up as he did. My all time favourite Stag.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:13 pm

Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:

I think you mean first game Mark. An absolute legend and nowhere near as bad a manager as some claim (his win ratio was almost exactly the same as Ian Greaves!) - I'll never forget the way he was treated after a heavy defeat at Orient when he came to speak to supporters - fronting up as he did. My all time favourite Stag.

Sorry, for some reason I read Rich's message as Ian Greaves, and put his numbers in there :D

I'm sure Martin is shaking his head as it is, with all these unverified numbers being flung around :D
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:21 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:I wonder if Clough knows this, more importantly, would he enjoy it being celebrated if there was to be some form of acknowledgement?

yes. He mentioned it the other week after a game, off air. He made a quip about wish he'd won the same number of trophies as his dad.

Then on Saturday he told me there had been highlights or similar of a Forest game on from when his dad was manager, and they said Forest had lost 1 in 55 games. He said to me "now that was a run!" We had just been talkng about our unbeaten run.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby robda1st » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:22 pm

he's got a good 10-15 years left as a manager(hopefully with us) so should beat the 2000 game mark which would be a awesome achievement.

does anyone know who has managed the most games as a manager in england? clough has got to end up near the top of that list
robda1st
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:33 pm

robda1st wrote:he's got a good 10-15 years left as a manager(hopefully with us) so should beat the 2000 game mark which would be a awesome achievement.

does anyone know who has managed the most games as a manager in england? clough has got to end up near the top of that list

Exclusively in England

1: Graham Turner 1718
2: Neil Warnock 1581
3: Dario Gradi 1557
4: Fred Everiss (One Club - West Brom 1902-1948) 1522
5: Jim Smith 1475
6: Brian Clough 1453
7: Nigel Clough 1439

Mainly England and others:
Alex Ferguson: 2155
Arsene Wenger 1702
Bill Struth (One club - Rangers 1920-1954) 1655
Willy Maley (One club - Celtic 1897-1940) 1612
Alec Stock 1584
Bobby Robson 1446

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... most_games
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:14 pm

I'm absolutely stunned by that too... Imagine managing Mansfield nowadays for 6 years, and nobody can really remember any achievements during that time :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't look back fondly on that time, personally.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:26 pm

Gruff wrote:

I'm absolutely stunned by that too... Imagine managing Mansfield nowadays for 6 years, and nobody can really remember any achievements during that time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Apart from promotion to League 1 of course, a feat we haven't managed for 22 years ......

It was very difficult times off the pitch though.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:48 pm

Rob wrote:
Gruff wrote:

Apart from promotion to League 1 of course, a feat we haven't managed for 22 years ......

It was very difficult times off the pitch though.

George Foster was also only manager for 4 years not 6.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:40 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Then on Saturday he told me there had been highlights or similar of a Forest game on from when his dad was manager, and they said Forest had lost 1 in 55 games. He said to me "now that was a run!" We had just been talkng about our unbeaten run.

Nigel Clough tells the same story in this excellent podcast, recorded on Wednesday

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby the saint » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:26 am

What a fabulous interview that was ... i watched it the other day ... Nigel was superb ...
the saint
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bradders » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:32 am

It may have been posted elsewhere on the forum, but I see that Nigel was awarded a trophy from the League Managers Association for Performance Of The Week, for the Notts County win. Although it does say "League One" on the caption, probably reflecting the standard of the football.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Sue » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:09 am

broomo wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:Going down a wikipedia wormhole I saw that Nigel is only now 14 games behind his Dad in terms of games he's managed (1,439 v 1,453). To have such longevity and to have managed as many games as a legend like Brian would be a great achievement in itself, let alone that he was his Dad. It's not clear what game he will pass the milestone, with being in FA and Carabao Cup, but the latest it'll be is Grimsby home on Boxing Day. It could also be a Carabao Cup Quarter Final w/c 18th December if we beat Port Vale, which would be an amazing way to pass it.

Sue
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sue » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:11 am

Sue wrote:
broomo wrote:

Agree with this. I'd love to have an emoji thingy.

Apologies for the duplication.
Sue
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:40 am

Smilies available :thumbup: :good_post:
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:38 pm

Providing there are no more postponements - Nigel will equal his Dad's managerial games tally against Grimsby on Boxing Day, and go ahead of him against Doncaster at home on the 29th December.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:03 pm

Nigel overtook his Dad's number of games at Stockport yesterday - he has now managed 1,454 games across his career compared to Brian's 1,453, and what a game to do it in.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:48 pm

What are the stats for league games?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum