{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Donny Score Thread (7pm kick off)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Donny Score Thread (7pm kick off)

Postby yorkstag » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:52 am

I think you’ll find that JB’s position is now RB/ CB

Clearly you can’t rule him being played out of position at CF in the future-)
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:57 am

yorkstag wrote:I think you’ll find that JB’s position is now RB/ CB

Clearly you can’t rule him being played out of position at CF in the future-)

LOL exactly
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:36 pm

I'm sure I heard it mentioned somewhere that Gale regularly stands out as one of the best players regularly in training.

For all the arguments over why this player plays over that one, we all forget that is a massive side of team selection we never see.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:52 pm

stagmanrob wrote:I'm sure I heard it mentioned somewhere that Gale regularly stands out as one of the best players regularly in training.

For all the arguments over why this player plays over that one, we all forget that is a massive side of team selection we never see.

I'd also add that Gale is lower down the pecking order than Swan, yet he still scored two more goals than him last night. (Obviously one was a penalty, but still)
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:57 pm

diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Thought Johnson and Williams had good games.Johnson should start Saturday.Proper right back.

Totally agree.. just cannot understand the logic of signing a proper right back then putting Bowery there instead...I'm not saying Bowery hasn't done a reasonable job but saying that Johnson is the better option..Thought Lewis was poor tonight and our midfield was overrun at times , Gale worked hard and combined well with Swan who still isn't at his best yet ,but both worth a start Saturday over the pedestrian Akins...Still think we will need a new Striker in the Winter transfer market to secure promotion

Do you think we'd have kept more clean sheets or conceded less than we have with CJ at right back?

What a loaded question...how the hell do I know! I haven't got a Crystal ball or a Time Machine....Yes , No, Maybe..take your pick...I just queried the Manager's logic in buying a normally positioned, seemingly better, right back and then playing Bowery out of position ..but then again Bowery seems to have played every position bar Keeper...so who knows what his best position is..Clough clearly seems to thinks it is right back lol

why does his injury keep being avoided? Johnson was first choice right back, got injured, came back and got injured again. JB stepped in and is rightfully keeping his place. If you play well and get dropped, what does that say for team morale? Johnson has then been benched whilst getting back to fitness. He's obviously fully fit now, but until JB has a stinker. He might do after saturday, who knows
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:57 pm

Did they announce the attendance last night?
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:58 pm

zod wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:I'm sure I heard it mentioned somewhere that Gale regularly stands out as one of the best players regularly in training.

I'd also add that Gale is lower down the pecking order than Swan, yet he still scored two more goals than him last night. (Obviously one was a penalty, but still)

Swan's 1 goal is a penalty too.
Swan's was against higher league opposition. Still a penalty though.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:01 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:Did they announce the attendance last night?

Attendance: 1,486 (142 from Doncaster)
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Showaddywaddy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:03 pm

Cheers Martin.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:21 pm

diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:Only Leicester and Portsmouth have conceded less goals than us in the entire EFL. (Leicester 6 in 11, Portsmouth 8 in 12)

We've conceded 9 in 12 and 2 of those were against Crewe when Jordan wasn't involved. So 7 in 11 when he plays.

Incredible stats that absolutely justify/vindicate his selection.

Those statistics apply to several players not just to Bowery..also somewhat of a non sequitur argument when you include other teams from other divisions

So if you accept playing Johnson ahead of Bowery would not have improved our defensive record, which clearly it wouldn't, apart from your predisposition not to rate Bowery, why do you think he should be dropped? He is clearly better in the air than Johnson and I'd argue better in the final third too, which is not a strong point of Johnsons game. You have the same hard on over Akins too and soon pop up when he's had one or two, by his standards, poor games .......
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:24 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:
diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Thought Johnson and Williams had good games.Johnson should start Saturday.Proper right back.

Totally agree.. just cannot understand the logic of signing a proper right back then putting Bowery there instead...I'm not saying Bowery hasn't done a reasonable job but saying that Johnson is the better option..Thought Lewis was poor tonight and our midfield was overrun at times , Gale worked hard and combined well with Swan who still isn't at his best yet ,but both worth a start Saturday over the pedestrian Akins...Still think we will need a new Striker in the Winter transfer market to secure promotion

Do you think we'd have kept more clean sheets or conceded less than we have with CJ at right back?

What a loaded question...how the hell do I know! I haven't got a Crystal ball or a Time Machine....Yes , No, Maybe..take your pick...I just queried the Manager's logic in buying a normally positioned, seemingly better, right back and then playing Bowery out of position ..but then again Bowery seems to have played every position bar Keeper...so who knows what his best position is..Clough clearly seems to thinks it is right back lol

why does his injury keep being avoided? Johnson was first choice right back, got injured, came back and got injured again. JB stepped in and is rightfully keeping his place. If you play well and get dropped, what does that say for team morale? Johnson has then been benched whilst getting back to fitness. He's obviously fully fit now, but until JB has a stinker. He might do after saturday, who knows

Bowery also seems to be able to avoid injury - I don't recall him ever being out for more than a game or two maybe, and he's our longest serving player. I don't know why this is but we do seem to have players more prone to injury than others, but Bowery certainly isn't one of them. Not necessarily a reason for selection, but another reason why he's probably a managers dream to have.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:36 pm

Every person is different. Some more injury prone than others. For me, Bowery is a model professional. He plays in various positions and I can’t recall him moaning to much…the team is the sum of its parts and he plays a massive part in it.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby SelstonStag88 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:57 pm

As people seem to have a crystal ball “ clearly it wouldn’t” . Anyone got Fridays winning euromillions numbers please?
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:36 pm

SelstonStag88 wrote:As people seem to have a crystal ball “ clearly it wouldn’t” . Anyone got Fridays winning euromillions numbers please?

The redevelopment of the Bish depends on it. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:39 pm

Rob wrote:
diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:Only Leicester and Portsmouth have conceded less goals than us in the entire EFL. (Leicester 6 in 11, Portsmouth 8 in 12)

We've conceded 9 in 12 and 2 of those were against Crewe when Jordan wasn't involved. So 7 in 11 when he plays.

Incredible stats that absolutely justify/vindicate his selection.

Those statistics apply to several players not just to Bowery..also somewhat of a non sequitur argument when you include other teams from other divisions

So if you accept playing Johnson ahead of Bowery would not have improved our defensive record, which clearly it wouldn't, apart from your predisposition not to rate Bowery, why do you think he should be dropped? He is clearly better in the air than Johnson and I'd argue better in the final third too, which is not a strong point of Johnsons game. You have the same hard on over Akins too and soon pop up when he's had one or two, by his standards, poor games .......

I never said I didn't rate Bowery...and in fairness I am still waiting for Akins to have the outstanding game that his reputation merits..all I have seen is occasional decent play but generally average ...re: Bowery ,being exceptionally good in the air is not the criteria for a modern wing/full/back defender..usually one of the 2 centre backs defensively attacks the ball...and by the way...Johnson scored on Tuesday..." with a header"..or did you miss that ?..final remarks I never said Bowery should be dropped and I'll be the first one out of my seat on Saturday if Akins Scores ( or even manages a shot on target)
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:49 pm

There's a reason I seem to argue with certain posters, even when I'm not trying to.

Rob and Sandy for example, we don't always agree but they put a lot of thought into their football views and are generally positive when things are going well and honest when things aren't.

There are other certain posters who stand out because they have been constantly negative or critical even when it's not warranted.

It's those folk I don't understand and those folk I'll pick up more often.

We're 16 unbeaten, best start for decades, we're through to the 4th round of the cup for the first time in half a century, we've just won the first game in the EFL Trophy and we have the 3rd best defensive record out of 72 EFL clubs.

Change the defence and Akins is raspberry!!
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:57 pm

SelstonStag88 wrote:As people seem to have a crystal ball “ clearly it wouldn’t” . Anyone got Fridays winning euromillions numbers please?

As other people seem to have a crystal ball and know that it "would have been exactly the same" with CJ ahead of JB (even though he was out injured) Any of them got Fridays winning Euromillions numbers please.

The only factual thing we know is what the defensive record ACTUALLY is and it's pretty damn good.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:21 pm

broomo wrote:There's a reason I seem to argue with certain posters, even when I'm not trying to.

Rob and Sandy for example, we don't always agree but they put a lot of thought into their football views and are generally positive when things are going well and honest when things aren't.

There are other certain posters who stand out because they have been constantly negative or critical even when it's not warranted.

We're 16 unbeaten, best start for decades, we're through to the 4th round of the cup for the first time in half a century, we've just won the first game in the EFL Trophy and we have the 3rd best defensive record out of 72 EFL clubs.

It's a Forum and we all have different opinions...if no one disagreed with your obviously Manager biased opinions Broomo then what a boring place this would be... and stating any different opinion to yours as being negative portrays you as being somewhat arrogant..You seem to think you are the panacea of all things Mansfield Town FC because of your obsession with the Manager..Yes we have had a decent start, Yet .8 draws out of 12 is somewhat disconcerning and the unbeaten record can lead to an attitude of we must not lose, rather than we must win .We are not top of the League yet but the hope is always there...See you at County COYS
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:30 pm

Funny thing last night, I thought we seemed to be heading for defeat, with the defence creaking like my knees. JB9 drops back into defence & hey presto Stags steady the ship, grab a 3rd (stone the crows a goal from a corner) & see out the game in some comfort.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:35 pm

diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:There's a reason I seem to argue with certain posters, even when I'm not trying to.

It's a Forum and we all have different opinions...if no one disagreed with your obviously Manager biased opinions Broomo then what a boring place this would be... and stating any different opinion to yours as being negative portrays you as being somewhat arrogant..You seem to think you are the panacea of all things Mansfield Town FC because of your obsession with the Manager..Yes we have had a decent start, Yet .8 draws out of 12 is somewhat disconcerning and the unbeaten record can lead to an attitude of we must not lose, rather than we must win .We are not top of the League yet but the hope is always there...See you at County COYS

deleted - duplicate post
Last edited by broomo on Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:37 pm

broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:

Aahh the old "you think you're the panacea of all things Mansfield rubbish.

I don't. I just enjoy my football and struggle to see what enjoyment some get out of constantly finding a reason to be negative.

It's a forum, you're free to disagree and I'm free to disagree about you disagreeing.

Also I'm not only obsessed about the manager. I'm obsessed with the entire Mansfield squad as well.

See you at County indeed.

COYS
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:01 pm

broomo wrote:
broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:

I don't. I just enjoy my football and struggle to see what enjoyment some get out of constantly finding a reason to be negative.

It's a forum, you're free to disagree and I'm free to disagree about you disagreeing.

Also I'm not only obsessed about the manager. I'm obsessed with the entire Mansfield squad as well.

COYS

"Rubbishing" my post portrays you as being somewhat arrogant...Obsession is not always a good thing Broomo it can greatly affect your mental health and you can become so focussed on something that you can close your mind off to to many other things that allow balance in your life..
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:08 pm

diablo wrote:
broomo wrote:
broomo wrote:
diablo wrote:

COYS

"Rubbishing" my post portrays you as being somewhat arrogant...Obsession is not always a good thing Broomo it can greatly affect your mental health and you can become so focussed on something that you can close your mind off to to many other things that allow balance in your life..

Did you learn that at AA (Akins Anonymous) Derek? :D
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum