{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Get free in

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Get free in

Postby bear 73 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:02 pm

We go with what we have and in January bring in players to improve the team for a final push.
Gale-Swan young players with promise and need time and games, if Clough feels they can do a job thats fine by me.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:00 pm

broomo wrote:A fit Oates brings so much more than a potential goal scoring boost.

His style of play causes defenders to panic, he causes problems other players don't and I for one feel so much more confident when he's in the squad.

Other teams will then look at our bench and think bloody hell, even if we handle Oates and Akins partnership for 70 minutes they can freshen it up with Swan and/or Gale.

The depth is so much stronger.

As for Quinn, there isn't another player we miss more. His intelligence with the ball (minus the odd red mist moment) is just off the scale.

He is the driver who brings out the best in everyone around him.
I dont often agree but on this i do oates is so entwined in our style of play that when hes back were a completely different side
Get those 2 back, even for spells and watch us fly.
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Isle of Mansfield » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:27 pm

Swan and / or Gale who've scored how many goals this season?
Hilarious. You're deluded if you think we'll win promotion playing these two up front. Cheap rookies with a lot to learn.
Isle of Mansfield
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:38 pm

Isle of Mansfield wrote:Swan and / or Gale who've scored how many goals this season?
Hilarious. You're deluded if you think we'll win promotion playing these two up front. Cheap rookies with a lot to learn.

Why don’t you go back to the sheep pen?

I thought you would have given up by now. Pity you’ve not got anything better to do. Don’t forget your early night as it’s school tomorrow.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Isle of Mansfield » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:20 pm

Answer the question.
Isle of Mansfield
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:07 pm

Isle of Mansfield wrote:Swan and / or Gale who've scored how many goals this season?

In a handful of starts between them.

Akins has 2 in 12 league games and has largely played the full 90 in most of them.

Swan scored 2 in the first 2 pre-season games and then picked up an injury and didn't return until our 3rd league game. Swan scored in the league cup vs Peterborough.

Gale again has hardly had much of a sniff so far. 2nd half of last season Gale played 210 minutes over 10 appearances. Average of 21 minutes per appearance. Scored 3 goals. Scoring one goal every 70 minutes.

You one of those not willing to give youth a decent shot but then complain we don't develop our own players?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:31 pm

Could be written in the stars for Swan to score at Meadow Lane ex Forest player and all that.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:34 am

Th way we are paying now leads me to think we will make top three.Oates Quinn and macloughlin to come back.Gale has missed two simple headers recently but I think he will turn out to be a good player.Not so sure about swan.Probably a bit too lightweight for me.He is better coming on for the last 15-20 minutes as he does have pace and will score when he gets an opportunity.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:52 pm

I can't believe we missed out on this lad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67 ... azGDeM4VRA
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:56 pm

After tonight’s performance I still maintain we need a flint style forward on a free

Swan general play was good but goal threat poor
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:01 pm

marksay wrote:After tonight’s performance I still maintain we need a flint style forward on a free

A centre half style forward?

A defender to play up front?

Bowery? :lol: ;)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby G B » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:03 pm

marksay wrote:After tonight’s performance I still maintain we need a flint style forward on a free

As for Gale? 2 goals not enough?
G B
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:07 pm

Please change your name to Marksayless
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:01 am

I understand what Marksay is saying, it comes, lije mr, out of frusteation seeing so msny chances go begging week after week.

I believe it's too late to get a fit free agent striker in and we will have to go as we are and see what, if anything, is needed in January.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:07 am

Oates'll be back by January.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:39 am

Spiritater wrote:Oates'll be back by January.

He's not the goalscoring answer even though he brings a different dimension to the forward line when he's not injured
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:39 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:

He's not the goalscoring answer even though he brings a different dimension to the forward line when he's not injured

Don't agree with that I thought he looked like he was getting back to his play off season form just before his injury.

I remember having Tyler Walker bag 25 goals and we still didn't go up :lol: it doesn't always guarantee promotion, it does help but let's remember... most teams want a striker in January, and most teams who have good ones won't want to sell. It's not an easy transfer window
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:32 am

The 'challenge' with an out and out goalscorer type in a current Mansfield Town side, and I'm aware that it's a contradiction in terms, is that Clough's sides don't play in a way that accomodates someone that touches the ball very few times, contributes little in terms of build up play and waits for chances to come to them - and that is why out and out goalscorer DJ didn't work for us. Clough's sides use all the team to get the team up the pitch to the penalty area, and rely on the number of chances, player movement, weight of bodies in attacking positions, forwards going out wide to get the midfield forward, and control of possession to force the ball over the line - whereas an out and out goalscorer contributes little to that, and it would be like playing with a man down in this side. If an out and out goalscorer type worked for us then DJ would have worked for us - but he looked like a fish out of water, and we were the joint top scorers in the league last season, so it's difficult to argue with the process.
I get that it's frustrating that we're not scoring as many as we'd like, but there are lots of reasons for it that aren't necessarily down to the lack of a main goalscorer. If there's a frustration that I have currently, and it's hard to pick apart a side that's 16 unbeaten, is that crosses into the box from open play, or set-piece situation are schoolboy standard - improving that alone would lead to more goals.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:35 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Don't agree with that I thought he looked like he was getting back to his play off season form just before his injury.

I remember having Tyler Walker bag 25 goals and we still didn't go up :lol: it doesn't always guarantee promotion, it does help but let's remember... most teams want a striker in January, and most teams who have good ones won't want to sell. It's not an easy transfer window

The play off season form where he scored 9 goals all season? Bowery scored 8 that season and Macca scored 7, they were nearly as 'prolific' as Oates.

I don't know where this myth has come from that Oates is a goalscorer. He definitely gives us a different option but he is not an out and out goalscorer. The season after that he scored 4 goals.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:42 pm

Oates may not be a goal scorer but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t bring goals. Having him there will increase the teams goal threat and he showed that with how he started the season.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stoney » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:56 pm

I agree he gives us a different option and his pace causes issues, I think we look more dangerous on the counter with him in the side.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:26 pm

Stoney wrote:I agree he gives us a different option and his pace causes issues, I think we look more dangerous on the counter with him in the side.

The one game we really needed Oates was Saturday as they play a back three who are all absolute donkeys.
My County season ticket colleague asked who we'd have up front, I said in my opinion Akins on his own with DKD just behind him.
He just laughed and said "thank god, he's slower than them three"
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:09 pm

Stoney wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

The play off season form where he scored 9 goals all season? Bowery scored 8 that season and Macca scored 7, they were nearly as 'prolific' as Oates.

I don't know where this myth has come from that Oates is a goalscorer. He definitely gives us a different option but he is not an out and out goalscorer. The season after that he scored 4 goals.

I never said he was prolific or a 20 goal a season striker. I just said he looked like he was getting back to looking like the player he was during the play off season who I thought had a good year.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:30 pm

Nigel has failed to recruit a goalscorer despite having several windows to do it, anyone who thinks we don't need one should book an urgent appointment with a head doctor as soon as possible.
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:46 pm

chimneyboy wrote:Nigel has failed to recruit a goalscorer despite having several windows to do it, anyone who thinks we don't need one should book an urgent appointment with a head doctor as soon as possible.

Is Keillor dunn just scratching his arse in games then? :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum