{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

John & Carolyn on start to the season and Bishop St

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: John & Carolyn on start to the season and Bishop St

Postby oldweststander » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:36 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Dan wrote:
oldweststander wrote:I know the council will do all in their power to support the club, just as they did with the hotel and leisure centre proposals, both of which never happened and imo never will.

Not a chance that council tax money will be on offer, the council are looking to cut services so the football club can only expect and get cooperation etc.

Didn’t the council buy hotels in other parts of the country? Maybe they could sell those and use the profits to resurface the roads.

Firstly, roads are county council, not districts.

Secondly, the buying and selling of buildings is capital expenditure, so any profits could not be used to fund day to day revenue expenditure.

The buildings MDC owns around the country are investments as the income they generate in rents is used to cover gaps in the budgets due to cuts in central government funding.

Well said Dave.

To the person who suggested MDC own a hotel in Edinburgh, they did but no longer.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:07 pm

zod wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:Wasn't the Leisure Centre the Mansfield Independents under Mayor Eggington, who came up with the classic about building an arena to replace the Leisure Centre: which used to hold concerts, sports events and TV events. Of course nothing ever happened.

The council isn't under the same political colour now - of course that doesn't mean that they're any better.

And for those who don't know, the roads are maintained by Ben Bradley's lot in West Bridgeford, not Mansfield DC.

The new Oak Tree Leisure Centre was built at no cost to Mansfield council whilst Mayor Egginton was in power.
It was done as part of a deal allowing Tesco to build the new superstore if they funded the new leisure centre.

The current Mayor's idea is to knock the perfectly good Civic Centre down, build houses on the land and move the council into the old CO-OP which isn't really fit for purpose.

I'm not sure you understand the decision making process for local government if you think it is the "Mayor's idea".
The Civic Centre is far too big for MDC, hence the reason a lot of it is now rented out to other organisations. It has been a long-term plan, since way before the current Mayor, to use hybrid and home working to reduce the desk space requirements. Changes to how people work since Covid have pushed this forward.
The land that the Civic and it's car park are sat on is valuable in the housing market, so with central government funding continually reducing, and many councils struggling to balance the books, it makes sense to sell off an asset that is no longer required.
People have moaned for years about the Civic being out on a limb, so creating a central 'one stop' hub in the town centre makes a lot of sense.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:08 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Dan wrote:
oldweststander wrote:I know the council will do all in their power to support the club, just as they did with the hotel and leisure centre proposals, both of which never happened and imo never will.

Not a chance that council tax money will be on offer, the council are looking to cut services so the football club can only expect and get cooperation etc.

Didn’t the council buy hotels in other parts of the country? Maybe they could sell those and use the profits to resurface the roads.

Firstly, roads are county council, not districts.

Secondly, the buying and selling of buildings is capital expenditure, so any profits could not be used to fund day to day revenue expenditure.

The buildings MDC owns around the country are investments as the income they generate in rents is used to cover gaps in the budgets due to cuts in central government funding.

Well said Dave.

To the person who suggested MDC own a hotel in Edinburgh, they did but no longer.

Beat me to it. ;)
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:33 pm

Whether the still own it or not, is not really relevant to the point I was trying to make.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Chris M » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:35 pm

Amberheart wrote:The club brings more money into the town as a whole . The council need to recognise this & assist the Radford’s with any planning permission etc

Sadly I don’t think the council has the brains they were born with. Any council that reduces free parking from sixty minutes to thirty then bemoans the lack of shoppers in the town centre are clearly beyond stupid.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:43 pm

Chris M wrote:
Amberheart wrote:The club brings more money into the town as a whole . The council need to recognise this & assist the Radford’s with any planning permission etc

Sadly I don’t think the council has the brains they were born with. Any council that reduces free parking from sixty minutes to thirty then bemoans the lack of shoppers in the town centre are clearly beyond stupid.

But then again, any government that cuts funding to councils and then uses their financial issues as a political weapon.......

Councils are being forced to make unpopular financial decisions to balance the books. This includes increasing fees and charges such as car parking.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:23 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Chris M wrote:

But then again, any government that cuts funding to councils and then uses their financial issues as a political weapon.......

Councils are being forced to make unpopular financial decisions to balance the books. This includes increasing fees and charges such as car parking.

Balance the books!!!
Looks like the council still own this disaster, who's paying for this then Dave, is our council tax for to keep the Londoners safe???!!!!
https://nottstv.com/mansfield-council-u ... ty-issues/
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MansfieldMick » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:14 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Balance the books!!!
Looks like the council still own this disaster, who's paying for this then Dave, is our council tax for to keep the Londoners safe???!!!!

The flats in London were not purchased by this council and they are obliged to maintain the flats or do you prefer another Grenfell incident? I have spoke to the Mayor about it and his answers are justified, I suggest you do the same.
MansfieldMick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalstag1 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:19 pm

That would be the Independents who the electorate and probably you, put into power, for the best part of 20 years, and spent most of the council's reserves buying property around the country. What you read here, is what happens when the proper checks aren't carried out, never mind money being spent in other towns and cities, rather than Mansfield. What the mayor and the current encumbered are doing, is to address the mess that's been left to them, but don't let that spoil your opinion.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:24 pm

Please keep the discussion related to the Bishop St stand.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby The Hoffmeister » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:35 pm

MansfieldMick wrote:
The Hoffmeister wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Chris M wrote:

Balance the books!!!

The flats in London were not purchased by this council and they are obliged to maintain the flats or do you prefer another Grenfell incident? I have spoke to the Mayor about it and his answers are justified, I suggest you do the same.

Did I say they were?
I was pointing out to the tag team further up back slapping each other that the local authority of any colour rosette make mistakes and we pay for it for Londoners!!!
If you're happy that your council tax is paying for it then you're a mug.

If Dave or OWS tell us different then fair it's

To bigalstag. A woman looking like a very dowdy housewife knocked on my door canvassing and to be blunt she was as thick as a brick and couldn't answer anything.
Next thing same woman is looking all glam in council chains and still sounded thick as a brick every time she was interviewed.
No she didn't get my vote, 5 mins on the doorstep was enough to know she was clueless.
To keep it relevant I forgot to ask her plans for the Bish :lol:
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:00 pm

The Hoffmeister wrote:
Did I say they were?
I was pointing out to the tag team further up back slapping each other that the local authority of any colour rosette make mistakes and we pay for it for Londoners!!!
If you're happy that your council tax is paying for it then you're a mug.

If Dave or OWS tell us different then fair it's

To bigalstag. A woman looking like a very dowdy housewife knocked on my door canvassing and to be blunt she was as thick as a brick and couldn't answer anything.
Next thing same woman is looking all glam in council chains and still sounded thick as a brick every time she was interviewed.
No she didn't get my vote, 5 mins on the doorstep was enough to know she was clueless.
To keep it relevant I forgot to ask her plans for the Bish :lol:

Please keep the whole discussion related to the Bishop St stand.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:55 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Dan wrote:

The council invested in properties, including hotels, to offset £10m in Government cuts to help maintain council services.

Putting the roads right will cost an estimated £110m in Notts alone, fortunately or maybe unfortunately, that is a county council issue not MDC.

Ben Bradley is your man, don't hold your breath.

:D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:41 pm

The general theme is the higher the average wage of a player in your squad, the higher you finish up the league table.

High transfer fees don't get you up the league. You may as well not pay any fees and put.you transfer budget into your wages budget and get better players on free transfers.

Therefore, the more money a club makes up the higher the wage budget, and the higher you finish up the league. So we really need the Bishop street stand ASAFP to bring in the extra match day cash, so we can have more money for wages. The more successful the club is, the more fans come in, the more money it makes.

It's also worth accepting that fans aren't religious. They will leave when the going gets tough. But like any customer of any shop or restaurant, the nicer the experience the more likely it is they will return. Our stadium is our money making restaurant, and we need a Michelin star.

It's really simple. We need it done now.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:14 pm

I'd imagine that our gates over the last 14 months have probably caught JR on the hop; as they have with almost everyone.

They were good leading up to Wembley. We took a very healthy amount to Wembley and it seems to have snowballed since then.

To the point where the queue for the upper tier at 19:20 on Tuesday night snaked across the car park and right to the very back fence - mainly due to the ridiculous amount of turnstiles in Haslam's 'weapons-grade' short-sighted, done on the '£5 for Field Mill £1 for Keith' costing of the 2000 new build.

To the point that Field Mill suddenly simply cannot cope with 7000 home fans in the two stands! And I don't think John ever envisaged the day when we'd be averaging over 7000 gates and selling out on a Tuesday night - hence the famous "we'll look into it when we get promotion".

Seems that sudden interest comes at you faster than any of us had imagined, but that's why when you go to nearly all lower league grounds they aren't close to capacity; because they usually have three ends for the club to grow into once interest pokes its head over the wall from the not so faithful.

Whatever happens on the pitch this season, let's hope that as a club, lessons are learnt and the club evolves and improves to be better prepared.
Last edited by DoomMerchant on Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:18 pm

And I'd wager one thing now; if we get promoted this season - and I'm certainly not saying that we will - then that 5300 season ticket holders will no doubt become something such as 6300+ and the club will suddenly have very little wriggle room for the emergence of new fans due to them rarely being able to sample the place.

That's why plans need doing asap for some extra seats, wherever they are. The rolling impetus cannot be allowed to hit a brick wall.
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:53 pm

The quickest solution to increase capacity would be to extend the North Stand & QLE towards the West Stand, there is loads of room & the work can done without affecing the pitch.

In terms of aesthetics, build the Bish.

If money were no object do both. Wouldn't it be nice to have a ground that looks/is finished?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:55 pm

That's been my argument for months,Doomy. How do you grow the fan base , in these good times, when there nowhere to put it?Give me the old ground anytime!
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:01 pm

Sneag wrote:The quickest solution to increase capacity would be to extend the North Stand & QLE towards the West Stand, there is loads of room & the work can done without affecing the pitch.

If money were no object do both. Wouldn't it be nice to have a ground that looks/is finished?

That's a good idea on paper, but if you linked the lower west to the north, the police wouldn't allow anyone to sit there.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:15 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Sneag wrote:The quickest solution to increase capacity would be to extend the North Stand & QLE towards the West Stand, there is loads of room & the work can done without affecing the pitch.

That's a good idea on paper, but if you linked the lower west to the north, the police wouldn't allow anyone to sit there.

As I said on one of the many other Bishop Street threads, you could extend the NS by another 500 seats & still have one of the biggest gaps between home & away fans in this league + they'd still have that frigging gate. This is the same police force that has home fans a few feet to the left, right & above the away fans at Forest.

The scope for expanding the QLE is even greater.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:57 am

If I win the Euro Millions then I’m having the job lot knocked down and the old and real Field Mill rebuilt complete with a rubbish open terrace on Quarry Lane for the away fans and a public smelting of the Gabbitas Gate.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:01 am

DoomMerchant wrote:And I'd wager one thing now; if we get promoted this season - and I'm certainly not saying that we will - then that 5300 season ticket holders will no doubt become something such as 6300+ and the club will suddenly have very little wriggle room for the emergence of new fans due to them rarely being able to sample the place.

That's why plans need doing asap for some extra seats, wherever they are. The rolling impetus cannot be allowed to hit a brick wall.

Thats one bet even I wouldn't take.......

If we don't go up but come close this season I could still see the ST sales rise...

The town seems to have embraced its football club in way not seen for many many a year..

It's clear we are outgrowing our ground and I'm sure although maybe being taken by suprise as you say in the rapid growth JR is a very astute and successful businessman and im sure he will react and is planning to do so as we all constantly debate it.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:38 am

Cunno, I have a spare shovel in the back of my van and I'm more than happy to lend it JR to find a crack in that old dilapidated concrete to officially inform everyone that we have a 'spade in the ground'!

Spade handle is even Castore yellow!
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:45 am

That's the handle falling off then ! :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:50 am

Oh yeah. Dammit! :lol:
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum