{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Wombles scorefred sponsored by not another draw please

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Wombles scorefred sponsored by not another draw please

Postby Ralphy » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:21 pm

Agree with the above, think we will go with DKD supporting Akins against county and look to play them on the counter attack
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:34 pm

lifestags wrote:Maris isn’t half the player he gets made out to be on here, he’s good, yes but not a match winner. He is better in the CDM or CAM roles, doesn’t have the natural athletic ability when played out wide.

He’s not meant to be a match winner, he’s a midfielder, one of our best passes and so far this season has been our second best goal threat.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:36 pm

But he still doesn’t get in the side over Reed or DKD, which means he’s played out wide. For me you play Lewis and Clarke in those positions against county.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:37 pm

Hopefully a midweek rest for Akins does him a bit of good because his team play is not good enough to accommodate a striker who is at the moment failing to provide any type of goal threat in open play. Another 73 minutes yesterday without testing the goalkeeper.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:38 pm

lifestags wrote:But he still doesn’t get in the side over Reed or DKD, which means he’s played out wide. For me you play Lewis and Clarke in those positions against county.

I predict he will play 10 and DKD will be up front.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:49 pm

Yes, he will defo push DKD up just behind Lucas making a midfield 5 as such.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:51 pm

Gale & Swan up front for me. Gale has a good eye for supplying the right pass for the sort of runs Swan frequently makes.
IMO too many regard Gale as work in progress, maybe true, but I think he's already better than Akins is in that holding role.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:53 pm

young vanish wrote:Gale & Swan up front for me. Gale has a good eye for supplying the right pass for the sort of runs Swan frequently makes.
IMO too many regard Gale as work in progress, maybe true, but I think he's already better than Akins is in that holding role.

Don’t agree, Gale’s first touch and ability to hold on to the ball is frustratingly bad. Akins is the same at times but also has his good days in that regard. Gale a good option to come on against tiring defences.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:15 pm

Always like to watch the game back before over commenting.

First of all it was far from turgid (I really hate that description at the best of times), we played some really nice stuff and especially first half were inches away from perfection on at least 4 occasions, not to mention the poor miss from Maris.

4 exceptional moves on the right hand side. (Akins cross shot, DKD's miss, superb cross from Bowery, great cross from Swan)

Maris WAS poor with the ball and though we were dominant he wasn't the reason for it and it was in my opinion right to bring him off. I like him but his passing and use of the ball yesterday was below par. (for those who have ifollow watch it back before disagreeing). He's a very good player and an integral part of things when playing well, he is not our best midfielder.

Wimbledon were well organised and defended well. Remember they've only conceded 3 away from home all season.

It's tough to change a defence who are conceding so few but yesterday for the first time I thought Jordan was poor with the ball and wonder if Johnson's time is coming.

Two very good sides cancelling each other out, Wimbledon looked tidy enough when they played it.

Definitely not worth the doom and gloom comments it's resulted in.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:43 pm

victor A block wrote:Upfront.
I think Clough has to consider dropping Akins, particularly at home. ( maybe not away )

Our midfield ( my preferred whilst Quinn is out is Clarke, Reed, Lewis and DKD) shows time and time again it can easily retain possession and get into good positions on the edge of the opposition box. Clarke has to start next week if fit in front of Maris.

Akins main attribute is holding up play. That isn't required with the way we play at home. We need a goalscorer in there and someone making runs in behind. He isn't either of those either. So in the absence of Oates, you have to play Swan and Gale.

Gale isn't quite ready in my opinion and ideally would have a year in the National League but he's what we have. Swan has been disappointing so far.

Bowery is an option but has never been prolific up front.
I posted the same thing yesterday and got grief some on here need to wake up a bit :coys:

We will regret not having a genuine goalscorer. TBF Clough probably though that goalscorer would be Swan and couldn't legislate for Oates being out, although he should prepare for this in the future as it clearly happens so often.
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:51 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
young vanish wrote:Gale & Swan up front for me. Gale has a good eye for supplying the right pass for the sort of runs Swan frequently makes.

Don’t agree, Gale’s first touch and ability to hold on to the ball is frustratingly bad. Akins is the same at times but also has his good days in that regard. Gale a good option to come on against tiring defences.

Were looking for goals not hold up players our midfield is our strongest lets trynto put our forwards into scoring positions not making them part of a very slow build up
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:57 pm

We will win at County.

I don't think this is about different players it really is about composure. This is the same group of players that got 3 against Stockport and destroyed Accrington.

I cant wait for the weekend.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:29 pm

Well another hard game at the one Call and Wimbledon were strong had pace and were committed to defend.
frustration was the order of the day the final ball missed chances and poor crosses.
once more the players gave 100% and defended well giving us 5 clean sheets out of 7.
Having two games at home with no win supplies the normal response and doom and gloom.
Boos at the ground after the club has moved forward in the academy at the ground and 15 games unbeaten sitting 5th two points of the automatics,.
Fans are fickle but pay their money and a good boo gives every one a lift.
A goal scorer well in league 2 the top scorer has 9 we have D-K-D who has 8 so we are trying.
Last season we were the leading goal scorers so lets wait another 34 games and see if we can do it again.
I remember our last 20 goal man that did not go well, but Walsall have him now and i expect him to score against us funny game this football.
Another top game against Notts County they just keep coming
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:50 pm

Another blooming draw. Three on the trot and eight in total.

Mansfield had the chances to win it particularly George Maris in the 1st half and James Gale in the 2nd half. The Stags just lacked a cutting edge up front with Lucas Akins Will Swan and Davis Keillor Dunn having disappointing games. I feel a bit sorry for Will Swan. He is making some good runs but the ball is not coming. He just needs a goal. Lucas Akins has been good as our target man but he had an off day yesterday along with DKD.

The 1st half was all possession but no penetration as AFC Wimbledon sat back and kept their shape. There seemed a reluctance to put the ball into the area at times when there was a good chance to do so. It was frustrating to see Mansfield then decide to go back or pass the ball across the pitch and then lose possession. The Wombles were dangerous on the counter attack and broke away after George Maris decided not to cross and it eventually resulted in Lewis Brunt conceding a penalty but fortunately Christy Pym made another brilliant save from James Tilley. Tillly always seems to have eventful games against the Stags. He scored against us for Crawley in 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 and was also sent off at Field Mill.

Nigel Clough surprisingly made two changes at half time with Ollie Clarke and Hiram Boateng replacing Aaron Lewis and George Maris. I met AFC Wimbledon forward Omar Bugiel in the bar after the game and said I was glad that he had not scored after his good goal for Sutton against us. He said Mansfield are a very good team and Wimbledon couldn't believe it that we changed it at half time when we were in control of the game. Ollie Clarke did add his usual energy in the 2nd half but Aaron Lewis had been playing well. I thought George Maris was also doing reasonably well and helping us to control the game. He may have picked up a knock so had to come off. Hiram Boateng was tidy enough but did not make an impact in the 2nd half.

Jordan Bowery worked hard on the right and dealt fairly well with a tricky opponent in Josh Neufville, another player who has scored against us for Sutton. The quality of Jordan's crossing let him down at times. He's worth his place at right back though. He did look tired in the 2nd half so no surprise he was subbed. Aden Flint and Baily Cargill were strong at the back again. Lewis Brunt was good in parts but made a couple of mistakes again including the penalty. Calum MacDonald slid a few decent balls down the left as a sub. I thought Louis Reed had one of his least effective games in midfield and was surprised that the sponsors picked him for MOM. He's been a worthy contender in a lot of games this season but not yesterday. Him and Aaron Lewis also do not look like they can score goals from the edge of the area. They do not seem to be able to get any power in their shots unlike James Gale and Ollie Clarke who do have some lead in their boots. James Gale smashed a great shot on at goal in the 2nd half and I would have him on free kicks. Just knock it to the side and let him smash it.

The set pieces were very disappointing once again. We have had around 83 corners now and only scored from one short corner. Aden Flint on the back post does not work. Get him on the front post to cause havoc. We also need to use Aaron Lewis and Baily Cargill's long throws. It was very frustrating to see Baily Cargill take short throws and then Mansfield lose the ball.

James Tilley had a couple of chances for Wimbledon in the 1st half where Louis Reed allowed him to run at goal and he also missed the penalty. Josh Neufville's pace caused a few problems. Jack Currie should have been sent off for his tackle on Ollie Clarke and then should have been given a second yellow for kicking the ball away. The referee was very poor. It took him 29 minutes to award the Stags a free kick even though Louis Reed had been flattened.

Overall though I enjoyed the game but it was very very frustrating. We need to start putting a winning run together at some time and grinding out 1-0 wins where we score from a set piece.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Retro rob » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:55 pm

Maris should have 'chipped it' !
Retro rob
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:00 pm

An excellent summary Darren, I pretty much agree with every word. I'm sure not only were Wimbledon surprised by our half time changes, but also delighted. Who would you have had as MOM, I was struggling to be honest, probably Pym or Flint.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:19 pm

I gave MOM to Christy Pym for his penalty save and save in.the 2nd half followed by Aden Flint and then Baily Cargill. You have to give credit to the defenders for clean sheets.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:42 pm

Flint for me the bloke is a level ahead of anything else we have at the club
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby iansmith » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:00 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Not much mention of the opponents yesterday either - Wimbledon were 2nd in the league before yesterday, and are 5 points clear at the top of the away league table after just 7 games.

Very good post and puts things into perspective. Expectations are rightly high but it’s important to remember that we’ve not had the easiest start to the season with both fixtures and injuries. Like others, I’d like a few more wins but very happy to be unbeaten to date.
iansmith
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagone1959 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:11 pm

Agree with Flint coming near post,it used to be a tactic back in the day,the near post flick on.We get plenty of corners and they are virtually all the same.All aimed far post with lack of pace and no swing.ps didn't enjoy the game !
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:12 pm

Maris definitely picked up a slight knock and it must’ve been a reason to bring him off…Flint got a knock too, but he’s a monster and just shook it off over the next 5-10 minutes. Flint is definitely a level or two above the rest. Not much wrong for me yesterday, we just played a well organised side and looked a bit leggy. A good point against second place that moved us up 2 places…still unbeaten going into the big game. The players will be desperate to keep that run going!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:14 pm

stagone1959 wrote:Agree with Flint coming near post,it used to be a tactic back in the day,the near post flick on.We get plenty of corners and they are virtually all the same.All aimed far post with lack of pace and no swing.ps didn't enjoy the game !

Agree with the near post comment. I still enjoyed the game…after the years of absolute dross I’ve witnessed at the Mill, what we see in most games now is like watching actual football!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:24 pm

Well I had thought yesterday's game quite dull, but having watched a bazzillion £ worth of 'talent' at the Emirates this afternoon, I now realise it wad a classic. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:27 pm

Sneag wrote:Well I had thought yesterday's game quite dull, but having watched a bazzillion £ worth of 'talent' at the Emirates this afternoon, I now realise it wad a classic. :lol:

Exactly. City v Arsenal is absolute dross…again! And over £100 to watch such dross.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:23 pm

Jordan Bowery was really lucky to not receive a second yellow as well Darren.

That's why Wimbledon's gaffer was going ballistic and pointing at Cloughie when he instantly put the paperwork into the fourth official to sub him for Johnson.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum