{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:12 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:37 am

Thanks for the report, Martin.

My KSN colleagues are peeved but I've got this from a former boss, ex ref and referee assessor regarding our equaliser

Just to cement the equalising goal decision.

Law 12.3

Delaying the restart of play to show a card.

Once the referee has decided to caution or send off a player, play must not be restarted until the sanction has been administered, unless the non-offending team takes a quick free kick, has a clear goal-scoring opportunity and the referee has not started the disciplinary sanction procedure. The sanction is administered at the next stoppage; if the offence was denying the opposing team an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, the player is cautioned; if the offence interfered with or stopped a promising attack, the player is not cautioned
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:46 am

thanks

I think that's the point:

from rule: "and the referee has not started the disciplinary sanction procedure"

I think he had started it by taking the yellow card out of his pocket. As discussed in my report.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:05 am

I agree with that, but I can’t see anywhere that defines what the disciplinary sanction procedure is. Does it start when the ref reaches for this card or does he have to call the players over etc.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:25 am

I disagree with the 6yds for Clarke from where the offence took place, when he gets up he takes 5 short steps, it's 3yds maximum.

Also, there's no Gills player near the ref, or looking at the ref, when Clarke takes the free kick, surely the ref has to call the player over to start cautioning him, which he hadn't done. The Ref must know the rules and thought that he was acting correctly.
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:34 am

Depends.

We've seen before where a ref starts talking to a player who committed the offence then blows when the quick kick is taken.

My guess would be that no dialogue had begun so the disciplinary action hadn't started yet.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:37 am

grufti wrote:I disagree with the 6yds for Clarke from where the offence took place, when he gets up he takes 5 short steps, it's 3yds maximum.

It is 6 yards.

Each of those segments in the grass (the changes of colour) is 6 yards. The offence is mid one segment. The free kick is taken mid the next one.

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:42 am

I think the referee handled it poorly and he'll know he should have taken a few seconds before removing the card from his pocket. However, from all the training I've had the caution procedure starts when you call the player over, at this point the game has to stop. Refs are too quick to take cards out, I can understand why they do it in certain circumstances, but I think its maybe something PGMOL could look at.

Therefore the actual error was allowing a quick free kick to be taken from the wrong place, not that the ref had a card in his hand. We got lucky.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:04 pm

Rob wrote:I think the referee handled it poorly and he'll know he should have taken a few seconds before removing the card from his pocket. However, from all the training I've had the caution procedure starts when you call the player over, at this point the game has to stop. Refs are too quick to take cards out, I can understand why they do it in certain circumstances, but I think its maybe something PGMOL could look at.

Therefore the actual error was allowing a quick free kick to be taken from the wrong place, not that the ref had a card in his hand. We got lucky.

I can see that Rob but I would say that the incorrect distance was probably the equivalent of where most free kicks are allowed to be taken from during the course of the game. If you are going to pull it back for that one, then it should be just as pedantic for every free kick. Consistency is the key and I don’t think our free kick was inconsistent with most others in the game. It’s exactly the same with throw ins which are seldom taken from the correct place.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:24 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Rob wrote:I think the referee handled it poorly and he'll know he should have taken a few seconds before removing the card from his pocket. However, from all the training I've had the caution procedure starts when you call the player over, at this point the game has to stop. Refs are too quick to take cards out, I can understand why they do it in certain circumstances, but I think its maybe something PGMOL could look at.

I can see that Rob but I would say that the incorrect distance was probably the equivalent of where most free kicks are allowed to be taken from during the course of the game. If you are going to pull it back for that one, then it should be just as pedantic for every free kick. Consistency is the key and I don’t think our free kick was inconsistent with most others in the game. It’s exactly the same with throw ins which are seldom taken from the correct place.

I think for quick free kicks the tolerance is rightly less and it is more often than not called back. There is little doubt we gained a very significant advantage from taking the free kick 6 yards away from where it should have been. We'll take it though!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:02 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby broomo » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:01 am

Personally think the ref did quite well overall.

Think he was right to book Macdonald and the challenge the Gills lad made later wasn't that similar.

MacDonald has wiped their lad out when he would have been clear, albeit out wide. The Gills foul was more central with Clarke running into traffic. You could see him explaining that to Flint when he was pointing out it was similar. It wasn't (in my opinion)

Thought allowing the quick free kick and even the positioning of it were both fine, especially when you consider the cynical nature of the foul.

Their quick free kick was laughable, 20 yards away from the foul, he was right to bring it back.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum