{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Rectum scorefred sponsored by we hate sheep

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Rectum scorefred sponsored by we hate sheep

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:49 am

Bloke behind me said he would have preferred to have lost last night by going for it more in the last ten than having another draw
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:56 am

daddycool wrote:So called fans that sit behind me just wait for Akins to make a mistake so they can vent some rage . If that fails the next one is moaning why Clough sit in the dugout most of the time .

We wait for him to score a goal of at least have a shot.
For all his decent hold up play he's got no instinct to be in the right place at the right time and is caught back on his heels so many times!
Bloke behind us hit the nail when he said I bet Mullin was thinking i'd love to be in this side.
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:00 am

Anybody think that is the fullest we have seen the North Stand since it became the away end. When they announced it as only 1484 as an away following I was shocked . Surely it must be at least 1684.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:04 am

For all the stick Akins gets, I'd bet my house on it that DKD would have nowhere near the amount of goals and potential suitors looking at him were he not playing alongside Lucas.

I bet he'd tell you such as well if you asked him.

The space that DKD thrives in is there as a consequence of Lucas and his back to goal play.

The same people who moan about Akins will be the same folk who used to give Emile Heskey pelters for England, but couldn't see that he allowed Michael Owen to be the European footballer of the year for club and country.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:05 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Conker wrote:I’m still annoyed with that last night, we’ve got to be better in front of goal or we will draw our way to another play-off finish. So frustating considering the performance.

You got the feeling if we had a Mullin in our squad we’d have won that game by half time.

Totally agree with this. It drives me absolutely crazy that we don't have a goalscoring centre forward at the tip of our attacking play.

Our best finisher is probably Swan, who’s obviously not got going yet. We really need him to get game time and start scoring or I can see these frustating draws continuing to rack up.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:09 am

Rob wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:A little shout out for McDonald who I thought had his best game for us.

The whole back 4 were terrific. Cargill was my MOM. Our forward players simply didn't do the business when it mattered but overall we were excellent against a one dimensional hoof it side. Ref was crap.

Thought we only gave them the oprion of long ball first half with out excellent passing and passing. We made then look one dimensional. Second half was different, they worked the ball more, tried to get in behind us and did successfully on a few occasions. We ended up counter attacking more 2nd half.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:13 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:Bloke behind me said he would have preferred to have lost last night by going for it more in the last ten than having another draw

We did go for it? We had Flint up front for a decent amount of that time
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:19 am

Stag95 wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:Bloke behind me said he would have preferred to have lost last night by going for it more in the last ten than having another draw

We did go for it? We had Flint up front for a decent amount of that time

The balance was spot on…don’t lose to a promotion rival. Should’ve been 3 points, but not a bad point.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:37 am

I thought Akins was excellent last night and was pulled all over the place with little protection from the ref.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:44 am

geoffhill wrote:Really good game we payed very well.As one of Bowerys biggest critics I thought he had his best game.Oates was inter viewed in the 1861 suite after the game and hopes to be fit in 4-6 weeks.He will make a big difference.Regarding our unbeaten run I think Portsmouth are unbeaten so far as well.

Great news about oates we really do miss his pace and directness,so long as we are there or thereabouts till he returns we will be fine :coys:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:49 am

geoffhill wrote:Really good game we payed very well.As one of Bowerys biggest critics I thought he had his best game.Oates was inter viewed in the 1861 suite after the game and hopes to be fit in 4-6 weeks.He will make a big difference.Regarding our unbeaten run I think Portsmouth are unbeaten so far as well.

Portsmouth lost on penalties to Peterborough in the second round of the EFL Cup so aren’t unbeaten in all competitions this season.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby TheMyTStags » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:55 am

Possibly a controversial one but I don't think our slightly underwhelming goals scored is much to do with our forward line. The front 3 of Akins, Maris and DKD we played last night have 13 goals between them, the rest of the side have 4. Last year we had quite a lot of spread throughout the team, and both Kilgour and Harbottle scored a lot. We also don't have much output in terms of assists from the wing backs like we have had in the last few seasons. Swan on form would of course help, as you'd have him on top of the aforementioned 3, but I do think with the way we play that some of the onus falls on the midfielders and defenders to score and so far they haven't really managed it (not one goal from a defender)
TheMyTStags
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:02 am

TheMyTStags wrote:Possibly a controversial one but I don't think our slightly underwhelming goals scored is much to do with our forward line. The front 3 of Akins, Maris and DKD we played last night have 13 goals between them, the rest of the side have 4. Last year we had quite a lot of spread throughout the team, and both Kilgour and Harbottle scored a lot. We also don't have much output in terms of assists from the wing backs like we have had in the last few seasons. Swan on form would of course help, as you'd have him on top of the aforementioned 3, but I do think with the way we play that some of the onus falls on the midfielders and defenders to score and so far they haven't really managed it (not one goal from a defender)

I don't think that this is controversial MyT - by this stage we would have hope for more goals from midfield and the back four. I do also think that we have had a tough run of games and this will come good
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:08 am

Maybe it’s a bit of a simplistic view but Oates and Quinn are just huge losses and the players replacing them cannot replicate what they do. If we have those two in the team last night, we definitely score imo
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:13 am

yorkstag wrote:I thought Akins was excellent last night and was pulled all over the place with little protection from the ref.

Akins never gets anything any game, it’s how he comes across that goes against him.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:18 am

Request.
Can Castore make a special paper shirt for Akins to wear? He'd need plenty of them, so a box with a couple of dozen or so replacements for each match.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:20 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:Maybe it’s a bit of a simplistic view but Oates and Quinn are just huge losses and the players replacing them cannot replicate what they do. If we have those two in the team last night, we definitely score imo

Yes they are great losses but would thier presence have produced goals.

The chances were there to be taken and, although a great asset, Oates isn't any better at taking those chances than the players we already have who are missing them.

We have been a striker short all season, it was a failure not getting another in.

We have thrown away at least a half dozen points by missing very good goal scoring opportunities.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:34 am

oldweststander wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:Maybe it’s a bit of a simplistic view but Oates and Quinn are just huge losses and the players replacing them cannot replicate what they do. If we have those two in the team last night, we definitely score imo

Yes they are great losses but would thier presence have produced goals.

The chances were there to be taken and, although a great asset, Oates isn't any better at taking those chances than the players we already have who are missing them.

We have been a striker short all season, it was a failure not getting another in.

We have thrown away at least a half dozen points by missing very good goal scoring opportunities.

The proof is in the pudding, for once I’ll talk in terms of actual goals! 11 in 5 swhen they were available, 6 in 6 since.

12.09 xG in 5 games before, 7.03 xG in games since.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:54 am

It was a great overall performance , just missing a clinical finish.

Do we have one at the club?. Thats up for debate. Oates when fit blows hot and cold. Gale for me is raw and a year off making a huge contribution.

DKD plays better as the attacking midfielder. Like others I would have brought Swan on. He has the technical ability, can see how to break through and is probably our best natural finisher.
He could possibly even have come on for Akins. Accepting he got little from the referee, he didn't hold the ball up particularly well and is never now going to be a prolific striker.
As mentioned elsewhere, our crossing is very poor, but any prolific striker that plays in a team the way we played tonight is going to score some goals.

Will we miss not having a Langstaff/Mullin. Quite possibly.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:57 am

TheMyTStags wrote:Possibly a controversial one but I don't think our slightly underwhelming goals scored is much to do with our forward line. The front 3 of Akins, Maris and DKD we played last night have 13 goals between them, the rest of the side have 4. Last year we had quite a lot of spread throughout the team, and both Kilgour and Harbottle scored a lot. We also don't have much output in terms of assists from the wing backs like we have had in the last few seasons. Swan on form would of course help, as you'd have him on top of the aforementioned 3, but I do think with the way we play that some of the onus falls on the midfielders and defenders to score and so far they haven't really managed it (not one goal from a defender)

Maybe it's as a result of securing the defence more, and with the addition of a more holding midfielder in Reed - we've conceded the fewest goals in our division and one of the fewest in the EFL, I think most people last season were pulling their hair out about the goals we were conceding and it seems to have been righted now. The good thing is that tightening the defence up hasn't come at the cost of chances, we've just got to put them away more often - we should have won pretty much every game we've played so it feels like the balance is right, hopefully it'll come - with Quinn and Oates to come back it'll give us even more. Some team is going to get smashed soon.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:11 am

Yes, massive credit to Clough so far re the defence which was our Achilles heel for too long, we now boast the strongest in the league at this early stage.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:16 am

Prime Stagsnetting that Akins can have such a good game and get grief off of sections.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:20 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Yes, massive credit to Clough so far re the defence which was our Achilles heel for too long, we now boast the strongest in the league at this early stage.

Flint and Cargill look very impressive together. Makes the loss of Kilgour easier to bear.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:23 am

Marky Mark wrote:

Maybe it's as a result of securing the defence more, and with the addition of a more holding midfielder in Reed - we've conceded the fewest goals in our division and one of the fewest in the EFL, I think most people last season were pulling their hair out about the goals we were conceding and it seems to have been righted now. The good thing is that tightening the defence up hasn't come at the cost of chances, we've just got to put them away more often - we should have won pretty much every game we've played so it feels like the balance is right, hopefully it'll come - with Quinn and Oates to come back it'll give us even more. Some team is going to get smashed soon.

I have to say that the signings of Cargill, Blunt and Flint have made an unreal difference at the back. Flint in particular must be as good a signing as this particular poster has seen in decades the difference he's made has been staggering.

Not only that, the fact that these lads are so comfortable on the ball has opened up Reed's (the crab) ability to dictate from the back.

Personally I'm thoroughly enjoying watching us play. Genuinely the only thing missing is that clinical edge.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:29 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:

I have to say that the signings of Cargill, Blunt and Flint have made an unreal difference at the back. Flint in particular must be as good a signing as this particular poster has seen in decades the difference he's made has been staggering.

Not only that, the fact that these lads are so comfortable on the ball has opened up Reed's (the crab) ability to dictate from the back.

Personally I'm thoroughly enjoying watching us play. Genuinely the only thing missing is that clinical edge.

I think our defensive performance is all the more remarkable in that 3 days before the start of the season two of the back 4 (Flint and Bowery) were nowhere near any defensive plans for the season, and that's before we lost the guy that the defence was built around (Kilgour). I agree on Flint, I'd give him a contract till he's 50, he makes it look so easy.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum