{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Gills scorefred sponsored by bakers dozen

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Gills scorefred sponsored by bakers dozen

Postby adamstag » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:45 pm

robbingdog wrote:I liken xg to climate change.

Xg means nothing to the game and climate change means exactly the same
We have no control on the thing
But the so called clever folk seem to think we can sort it

let’s be real let’s win the league in xg
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:57 pm

Climate change :lol: :lol: :lol: don’t worry I’m not going to start another conspiracy… but it’s a good 1 ;)
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:22 pm

I don't think Brunt is being picked cos Leicester said so.

Brunt itms being picked because he has barely put a foot wrong. He's picked because we lost MacDonald to a straight red, Williams picked up a knock, Cargill picked up a knock, Johnson picked up a knock. He got his chance because we had nobody else. He's took his chance.

Clough doesn't strike me as someone to punish someone for making a mistake or 2. Especially when he's prevented quite a few shots on target hitting the target. I'm very impressed with how he doesn't shy away when he makes an error as some young lads do. He's not afraid to do what he messed up doing again.

He's inexperienced. Doesn't matter what age he is. He's barely played men's football.

I think Leicester disagreed with how much of his wages we were willing to pay. So far they've got themselves a bargain.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:26 pm

Correct, it’s an outcome of the game, a performance indicator. Nobody is claiming otherwise.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:35 pm

Imagine if flint gave that ball away would he be slated ? Flint played quite a few balls out of play today but it goes unnoticed because of the result, brunt has been overall excellent and he’s definitely better than harbottle so far ! COYS difficult game Tuesday let’s back it up !
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:51 pm

Calstag wrote:Imagine if flint gave that ball away would he be slated ? Flint played quite a few balls out of play today but it goes unnoticed because of the result, brunt has been overall excellent and he’s definitely better than harbottle so far ! COYS difficult game Tuesday let’s back it up !

There’s a difference between booting the ball out of play and losing the ball on the edge of your own box, Flint did the latter last weekend but stoned for his error. Brunt has done it three or four times now, but he is a young player and will get it right eventually, and if he doesn’t he will find himself out the side.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:56 pm

I like Brunt too slightly better than Harbottle in my view
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:56 pm

Good point but another game we should have 3
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:08 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Costastag wrote:We deserved the win today didnt get it but not through lack of effort or skill it was a great point if thats what we have to beat we will get promotion

Looking at the table Costa and how close it is over the top 10 or 12 , there's a lot we've got to beat to be fair and whilst it's great to be undefeated I'd prefer to have lost one and converted a couple of draws to wins

After 10 games last year we'd already lost 3 games, but were 1pt better off.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:24 pm

A terrible start for the Stags as Lewis Brunt gifted a goal to the Gills. He's a young player with lots of potential but he's cost us 3 points at Col U and Gillingham. The Stags equalised when Ollie Clarke was brought down for a free kick which was quickly taken by Ollie Clarke to Davis Keillor Dunn running into the area and he slid it past the Gills keeper. I thought it was a good advantage. However looking at the replay the free kick may have been taken 5 yards further forward than the original foul. It reminded me of Mark Kearney's quickly taken free kick at Tranmere in October 1985.

Gillingham FC were warning their fans before the game that the club had been fined £12,500 for "improper, offensive, abusive, indecent or insulting behavior by the Gills fans at the Col U game on Boxing Day with either express or implied reference to race, colour or ethnic origin". However they completely lost the plot when Gillingham tried to take a quick free kick and the ref pulled the play back. The number of f and c words aimed at the ref with a frequent combination of the two increased massively as the Gills fans exploded with rage. The Gills free kick was nowhere near the right place. Louis Reed had a good chance to score with the last kick before half time but totally miskicked it.

Gillingham had some joy down their right in the 1st half and Brunt and MacDonald needed to improve their defending. I was pleased to see MacDonald replaced by Baily Cargill at half time who could provide some more solid defending and help counter the Gillingham's aerial threat from set pieces and long throws. The Stags were also attacking better down the right with Jordan Bowery. The Gills are a big side and defended well getting plenty of blocks in. You can see why they do not concede a lot of goals at home. Shad Ogie was very strong.

The Stags were easily the better team in the 2nd half and created enough chances to score the winning goal. George Maris, Davis Keillor Dunn, Ollie Clarke and Aaron Lewis could all have scored. George Maris was very good in the attacking position in the 2nd half and helped us control the game. Lucas Akins battled hard and his link up play improved as the game went on. However Ashley Nadeson had a great chance to score from a corner late on. I still think it's another 2 points dropped though.

Man of the Match was Aden Flint who was superb at the back for the Stags winning everything. Christy Pym fumbled one shot but Aden Flint got him out of trouble with a last ditch clearance with the Gillingham fans ridiculously screaming for a penalty. George Maris would be my No 2 choice and then Jordan Bowery who played well at right back. Louis Reed and Aaron Lewis played well in midfield. DKD could have had a hat-trick. Ollie Clarke worked hard and clearly scared Jonny Williams to death as he was totally innocuous. It was good to see George Lapslie come on for Gillingham after his hamstring injury but he did not threaten us. He gave his dad a signed photo to give to Ladybrook John.

DKD has scored 8 goals in 10 league starts which is fantastic but Nigel Clough was furious with him at the end when he tried to slip a ball through to Will Swan which was intercepted by Shad Ogie. Louis Reed then gave a foul away and Nigel immediately subbed DKD for James Gale and was telling him that he should have played the ball over Ogie into the corner.

It was amusing seeing Neil Harris being clapped off at the end by the same Gills fans who were calling him a useless raspberry and telling him to raspberry right off after the 2-0 defeat against Mansfield last season when Lucas Akins and George Lapslie scored. There were plenty of them moaning though about only playing one up front.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:57 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Correct, it’s an outcome of the game, a performance indicator. Nobody is claiming otherwise.

It's not, that's the full time result. XG is just someones guess of what they think the score should've been, which makes it a load of raspberry ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:07 pm

The One wrote:Do not think he is better than harbottle

Lmao he is miles ahead of Harbottle.

I liked him but reason he's now in Scottish league. Brunt twice the player
Last edited by PEAR CIDER on Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:09 pm

Lol kicking a defender out of an undefeated team. Only on stagsnet
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:10 am

So a former boss of mine who was a referee and is now, for quite some time, a referee assessor has seen our goal and has no issue. He points the finger to the hosts for switching off
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:22 am

gazza1988 wrote:I don't think Brunt is being picked cos Leicester said so.

Brunt itms being picked because he has barely put a foot wrong. He's picked because we lost MacDonald to a straight red, Williams picked up a knock, Cargill picked up a knock, Johnson picked up a knock. He got his chance because we had nobody else. He's took his chance.

Clough doesn't strike me as someone to punish someone for making a mistake or 2. Especially when he's prevented quite a few shots on target hitting the target. I'm very impressed with how he doesn't shy away when he makes an error as some young lads do. He's not afraid to do what he messed up doing again.

He's inexperienced. Doesn't matter what age he is. He's barely played men's football.

I think Leicester disagreed with how much of his wages we were willing to pay. So far they've got themselves a bargain.

Good post
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:38 am

It’s the 3rd time he’s made the same mistake, clearly not learning his lesson. I’d play Cargill against Wrexham as experience will be key against Mullin
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:44 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Lol kicking a defender out of an undefeated team. Only on stagsnet

Pear, nobody is calling for him to be ‘kicked out’ never to be seen again. Most acknowledge he is a decent player and has done well for the most part but there have been costly errors too. We have a really solid option in Cargill who is big, strong, good on the ball, and won promotion at this level twice - it really doesn’t have to be seen as such a huge controversy that people want to give him a run in the side after he was signed to be one of the main men at the back, especially after somebody has made a couple of the same errors leading to goals being conceded. Got away with it once or twice as well.

That’s football, players come in to the team and go out of the team. Sooner or later that player will come back in. Fans want different players to play - we have built the strong squad that everyone has wanted for years and now when a change is suggested it’s deemed as laughable! :lol:
Last edited by BH_Stag on Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:47 am

I like Brunt and I think he would be a great signing if he became available at the end of the season. But his mistakes have cost us points ,so maybe him coming off the bench for a few games may help . We probably need another 20wins for the automatics .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:23 am

This game more than any other so far confirms to me that we'll be there or there-abouts in May.
Again we rarely look like losing games and it's that statistic that after ten games that drives confidence. We'll have a small run of 3-4 victories on the bounce, at some point, which will throw light on the importance of all of these draws.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:32 am

And those pointing the finger at Brunt, they'll be the same people who singled out Pym, and Akins, and Bowery etc. Folk who need a scapegoat, someone to point at and accuse. This kid is at the very beginning of his football education; learning with every ninety minutes, exactly how Harbottle was last season.

Harbottle dropped 2-3 clangers around the same period last season - the same types of supporters had the same thoughts - he came back, learnt and evolved and everyone would have taken him on a permanent at the end of the season.

Brunt will be a far better player at the end of this season than he is now. He's going to make errors, we have to accept that, but so far - apart from his costly mistakes - he's been exceptional. If you expect flawlessly every Saturday afternoon then you're watching the wrong level of the game.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:40 am

We play out from the back…I’m happy with it, however you must accept that mistakes will happen from time to time. It’s happening in every division. It’s a fantastic point against a good team. We deserved no more than a point, the result was spot on. Beat Wrexham and that’s a good 2 gamer!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:41 am

DoomMerchant wrote:This game more than any other so far confirms to me that we'll be there or there-abouts in May.
Again we rarely look like losing games and it's that statistic that after ten games that drives confidence. We'll have a small run of 3-4 victories on the bounce, at some point, which will throw light on the importance of all of these draws.

Good post.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:47 am

Again, why does it all have to be such a controversy.

‘Finger pointing and singling players out, scapegoating and accusing, ‘you’re watching the wrong level’, you had a go at this player you had a go at that player, types of supporter’ :lol:

Honestly it’s baffling how offended people get. Like I say above, we have a strong squad with good options waiting. It’s not a crime to highlight costly mistakes and discuss a potential change! A player gives the ball away twice directly leading to goals and people are pond raspberry for discussing a change :lol:
Last edited by BH_Stag on Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:59 am

BH_Stag wrote:Again, why does it all have to be such a controversy.

‘Finger pointing and singling players out, scapegoating and accusing, ‘you’re watching the wrong level’, you had a go at this player you had a go at that player, types of supporter’ :lol:

Honestly it’s baffling how offended people get. Like I say above, we have a strong squad with good options waiting. It’s not a crime to highlight costly mistakes and discuss a potential change!

I definitely think it’s acceptable to highlight mistakes. It was costly too. A lot of mistakes at this level don’t get punished. After seeing VAR at its finest this afternoon, I’m just glad we don’t have that in league two either :lol: I’m sure Nigel will have rocketed young Brunt, but I’m saying we can’t have it both ways…play good football and take risks, or lump it forward with little risk, and the ball coming straight back. I like taking certain risks, unfortunately it will lead to the odd bad goal against.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:06 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Again, why does it all have to be such a controversy.

Honestly it’s baffling how offended people get. Like I say above, we have a strong squad with good options waiting. It’s not a crime to highlight costly mistakes and discuss a potential change!

I definitely think it’s acceptable to highlight mistakes. It was costly too. A lot of mistakes at this level don’t get punished. After seeing VAR at its finest this afternoon, I’m just glad we don’t have that in league two either :lol: I’m sure Nigel will have rocketed young Brunt, but I’m saying we can’t have it both ways…play good football and take risks, or lump it forward with little risk, and the ball coming straight back. I like taking certain risks, unfortunately it will lead to the odd bad goal against.

Agree on VAR, keep that out of the EFL forever!

Completely agree, playing this brand of football will lead to mistakes. It happens at every level and you just have to accept it. I’m a big fan of the football we are playing and wouldn’t want to deviate away from that.

Equally, I just think it’s a lot for a young lad to come in to the side for his first experience in mens football and play every minute of every game straight off the bat. After a couple of mistakes I don’t think it would do him or us much harm just to make a change for a few games. He will come back in at some stage and continue to develop which is fine by me.

It should be noted that people can want a change for a game or two, and still think that Brunt is a good player. People often think it’s one extreme or the other, either he’s great or he’s terrible, he should play every week or never again! That’s not the case, or at least it’s certainly it’s not for myself. I think he is a tidy player, but would just take him out for a game or two for Cargill - who is a good player himself!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum