{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

4 wins from Europe - stags drawn at home to Port Vale

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 4 wins from Europe - stags drawn at home to Port Vale

Postby lancer » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:38 am

Vale have started reasonably this season but mainly winning by a single goal.
However they did get beat 7-0 at Barnsley recently so I don’t think there is any reason to fear them, especially at home
COYS
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby grufti » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:54 am

Vale struggled to beat Sutton, I can't see them being as good as Wendy or Posh, but that doesn't mean we'll win.
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:02 pm

The fact we've got further already in the Carabao than anybody could have anticipated.....well surely that covers us financially, unanticipated attendance-wise, to cover the fines we would receive by fielding all the kids for the Papa Johns Trophy?

Risking the main men in that competition now seems pointless with the FA Cup coming up soon as well.

I somehow can't see Nigel thinking the same though, he seems to go for everything.
Last edited by stagmanrob on Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby SelstonStag88 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:07 pm

SeanieStag wrote:The digs at Broomo on this thread are outrageous. They guy made a mistake as a kid and has owned up to it. To keep using it as a weapon to beat him down with is not on. If the comments were from someone who was previously ex-police as claimed then it’s another example of why there is so little trust in the police: small minded, bigoted and judgmental with a disregard for the truth. People should be ashamed.

No one is asking for everyone to agree, the whole point of the forum is to debate the issues. If you take a pop at someone though, expect to be pulled up on it and/or get some. Just remember though that there’s a line and personal attacks are way over that line.

Great post!
SelstonStag88
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:35 pm

broomo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
broomo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Broomo

If it isn’t aimed at me, who is the ex copper you quote?

Johnny H.

Ok Broomo fair enough.

I apologise if I’ve taken your comments out of context and I shouldn’t have descended to the cheap digs I’ve made.

This spat does illustrate a point though that maybe we should all take a lesson from. Life’s too short and maybe we should all be more tolerant towards each other. Disagreeing shouldn’t be personal and we should be able to put spats behind us and hold our tongues when we aren’t involved in disputes personally. I do understand when you feel ganged up against but you do tend to lash out a bit indiscriminately and others get caught in the crossfire.

At the end of the day, it’s not hard to say sorry.

Sandy, this "spat" (which wasn't a spat on my side) came about all because I said I was happy to have drawn Peterboro at home.

Reading some of the things people have said about me because of that, do you honestly think it's a proportionate response?

I don't think I've ever had a go at your entire (or even partial) personality.

For the record I've never been in prison either.

Tbh Broomo, I totally disagreed with you regarding the draw last time, however you got it right mate. Hopefully it turns out the same this time too. Really respect you for your opinion.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:30 pm

SeanieStag wrote:The digs at Broomo on this thread are outrageous. They guy made a mistake as a kid and has owned up to it. To keep using it as a weapon to beat him down with is not on. If the comments were from someone who was previously ex-police as claimed then it’s another example of why there is so little trust in the police: small minded, bigoted and judgmental with a disregard for the truth. People should be ashamed.

No one is asking for everyone to agree, the whole point of the forum is to debate the issues. If you take a pop at someone though, expect to be pulled up on it and/or get some. Just remember though that there’s a line and personal attacks are way over that line.

Maybe you should take your own advice.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:05 pm

Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:It's a draw of no middle ground really: It's the best possible draw for us if we were thinking about progression, it's almost the worst possible draw for us in terms of attractiveness.

So it's the best possible draw. If anyone in the squad said that they were hoping for a more "attractive" tie rather than the most winnable, they'd be dropped. The fans should follow suit. If we get to the quarter finals, then it's a bit different because the odds will be hugely against us no matter who we draw, so it may as well be Forest or Brighton or Arsenal. But Port Vale at home is a difficult but winnable game, and gives us a glint of hope of a historic quarter final match.

I know that the chances of actually lifting the trophy are next to zero, but it's a competition not a testimonial, and we expect the manager to do everything possible to win through to the next round. Although it's great if a match is entertaining, the main entertainment is seeing the story of the competition unfold, plus the history, the records and all that goes with it.

So in a nutshell, when we were drawn out first you were praying for Port Vale? I didn't read of any Stags fan wanting that before the draw. It could have been worse, that's the best you can say about it, but those thinking it's a ticket straight to the QF are wrong.

I was hoping to be drawn at home against the most beatable side, yes. Surely every Stags fan would want that? Obviously it's not in any way a ticket to the QF, but the odds are in our favour more than with any other draw. What's the better option?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:11 pm

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:It's a draw of no middle ground really: It's the best possible draw for us if we were thinking about progression, it's almost the worst possible draw for us in terms of attractiveness.

So it's the best possible draw. If anyone in the squad said that they were hoping for a more "attractive" tie rather than the most winnable, they'd be dropped. The fans should follow suit. If we get to the quarter finals, then it's a bit different because the odds will be hugely against us no matter who we draw, so it may as well be Forest or Brighton or Arsenal. But Port Vale at home is a difficult but winnable game, and gives us a glint of hope of a historic quarter final match.

I know that the chances of actually lifting the trophy are next to zero, but it's a competition not a testimonial, and we expect the manager to do everything possible to win through to the next round. Although it's great if a match is entertaining, the main entertainment is seeing the story of the competition unfold, plus the history, the records and all that goes with it.

So in a nutshell, when we were drawn out first you were praying for Port Vale? I didn't read of any Stags fan wanting that before the draw. It could have been worse, that's the best you can say about it, but those thinking it's a ticket straight to the QF are wrong.

I was hoping to be drawn at home against the most beatable side, yes. Surely every Stags fan would want that? Obviously it's not in any way a ticket to the QF, but the odds are in our favour more than with any other draw. What's the better option?

Getting on TV and getting to go to a premiership ground which will rarely happen many times in our lives as stags fans.

Sod the winnable games, I want to see Rhys Oates score a screamer at old Trafford :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Joestag1 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:17 pm

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:

A trip to Old Trafford, Anfield, or the Emirates banking the club a few hundred grand is probably a better option than port vale at home?
Joestag1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:39 pm

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:
Bradders wrote:

No, every Stags fan did not want Port Vale at home :lol:

Any of the Prem sides away would have been better for the club, most fans and probably for our league season as we would probably be knocked out and not have the risk of more injuries. As it is the next best option probably was Port Vale at home as in theory we at least have the chance of getting to the QF with a chance of getting one of the Prem clubs, but celebrating like it's the draw we all wanted all along is just not right at all I'm afraid Bradders. If we did beat Vale, would you still be wanting the lowest ranked team left at home in the QF?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:42 pm

If we beat Port Vale then we will most certainly get a premiership club next round.Peterborough were really good first half miles better than us In the end we were stronger than them and deserved to go through.If I am not mistaken Port Vale are higher up in league one than Peterborough so it will not be an easy game but certainly winnable.I have a season ticket in the west stand upper and wasn't able to sit in my seat due to the fact Quarry lane season ticket holders were sat there.I hope the powers that be do not do that again.Very annoying and. unnecessary
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:11 pm

geoffhill wrote:If we beat Port Vale then we will most certainly get a premiership club next round.Peterborough were really good first half miles better than us In the end we were stronger than them and deserved to go through.If I am not mistaken Port Vale are higher up in league one than Peterborough so it will not be an easy game but certainly winnable.I have a season ticket in the west stand upper and wasn't able to sit in my seat due to the fact Quarry lane season ticket holders were sat there.I hope the powers that be do not do that again.Very annoying and. unnecessary

Im dreaming of wembley
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:18 pm

Costastag wrote:
geoffhill wrote:If we beat Port Vale then we will most certainly get a premiership club next round.Peterborough were really good first half miles better than us In the end we were stronger than them and deserved to go through.If I am not mistaken Port Vale are higher up in league one than Peterborough so it will not be an easy game but certainly winnable.I have a season ticket in the west stand upper and wasn't able to sit in my seat due to the fact Quarry lane season ticket holders were sat there.I hope the powers that be do not do that again.Very annoying and. unnecessary

Im dreaming of wembley

Geoff won't be going to Wembley unless they can unbolt his West Stand seat and relocate it to same height, view and distance from the pitch at Wembley :lol:

That's me on his next list :roll:
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:55 pm

Similar sort of tie to Posh
Could go through or be an unfashionable exit by a mediocre team of league 1
Amazing to miss all those big clubs
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Frankenstag » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:12 am

We should be able to splash out on some cushions for the posh seats with the money that we have won so far.

2023/24 Carabao Cup prize money: How much the winners earn

Even for making it all the way to the final of the Carabao Cup, a team is only guaranteed £50,000. If you can manage to win the competition that total is doubled to £100,000.

To put it into context, winning the Carabao Cup wouldn't even cover Kevin De Bruyne's weekly wage. In fact, it would enable Manchester City to pay him for about a day-and-a-half.

It really is a drop in the ocean for the teams most likely to succeed in the competition. A good cup run for lower league opposition doesn't even bring in the kind of of financial reward to make it worthwhile, unless you draw one of the big boys and earn some TV money.

Round

Prize money

First round winners

£5,000

Second round winners

£7,000

Third round winners

£10,000

Fourth round winners

£15,000

Quarter-finalists

£25,000

Semi-finalists

£25,000

Runner-up

£50,000

Winners

£100,000

Source 90min.com
Frankenstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chris M » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:00 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:Sky have just commented how disappointed both us and Port Vale must feel

The same Sky who regard an all Cash League game which happens every week as fantastic?
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Teapot » Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:29 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:*Posted this in the wrong thread originally*

Think people are being too down about this tie. OF COURSE we were all dreaming of playing Man U, Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea or Arsenal home or away and we had relatively decent odds of getting one of them. However, Port Vale AT HOME for me is a better draw than getting the likes of Exeter, Middlesbrough, Ipswich, Blackburn, Bournemouth, Fulham and Burnley home or away. They’d all be to varying degrees much harder ties than Vale at home and I really wouldn’t have any interest in playing any of those sides either.

If it’s not gonna be one of the BIG teams home or away, playing the next worst side at home is a good draw for us. We’ve got a genuinely good chance at reaching the quarter finals!!!

Of course, if we beat Vale, we’ll end up getting Middlesbrough away in the quarter finals won’t we :lol:

We did ok there at a similar stage of the FRT in 1987!
Teapot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby WorthingStag » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:59 am

Birminghamstag10 wrote:TV coverage aside, this will sell out just like a Man Utd or Liverpool at home would.

I'm pleased with it, winnable and the potential to create history. We can do it.

Please allow ST holders to buy their own seats first :D

I’m one of the few gutted with a home draw, as a non season ticket holder I’ll never get a seat, nevertheless it’s a good draw and I’ll travel anywhere for the quarters (if we’re away) :mtfc:
WorthingStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The One » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:23 am

Frankenstag wrote:We should be able to splash out on some cushions for the posh seats with the money that we have won so far.

Even for making it all the way to the final of the Carabao Cup, a team is only guaranteed £50,000. If you can manage to win the competition that total is doubled to £100,000.

To put it into context, winning the Carabao Cup wouldn't even cover Kevin De Bruyne's weekly wage. In fact, it would enable Manchester City to pay him for about a day-and-a-half.

It really is a drop in the ocean for the teams most likely to succeed in the competition. A good cup run for lower league opposition doesn't even bring in the kind of of financial reward to make it worthwhile, unless you draw one of the big boys and earn some TV money.

Round

Prize money

First round winners

£5,000

Second round winners

£7,000

Third round winners

£10,000

Fourth round winners

£15,000

Quarter-finalists

£25,000

Semi-finalists

£25,000

Runner-up

£50,000

Winners

£100,000

Source 90min.com

Having read that not to fussed re this cup.
Adage is concentrate on league
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:12 pm

The One wrote:
Frankenstag wrote:We should be able to splash out on some cushions for the posh seats with the money that we have won so far.

Round

Prize money

First round winners

£5,000

Second round winners

£7,000

Third round winners

£10,000

Fourth round winners

£15,000

Quarter-finalists

£25,000

Semi-finalists

£25,000

Runner-up

£50,000

Winners

£100,000

Source 90min.com

Having read that not to fussed re this cup.
Adage is concentrate on league

The advantage of this competition to clubs like ours is it gives a greater chance to draw big clubs and therefore a big earner, hence most Srags fans disappointment at getting Posh then Vale. The EFL Trophy offers far greater prize money and a realistic chance of getting to Wembley.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Frankenstag » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:37 pm

If it's purely down to finances the Trophy pays much better than the EFL "Skinflint" Cup and as Rob says we have more chance of progressing in this competition. Which one should we prioritise or should we go for glory in both?

All clubs receive a £20,000 participation fee.

They could earn up to £212,500 if they go all the way in the competition, down from the £260,000 on offer last term.

Clubs are now paid £8,000 for a group-stage win and £4,000 for a draw compared to the previous £10,000 and £5,000 on offer.

Victory in the round of 32 is now worth £15,000, rather than £20,000, while progression from the round of 16 will earn £29,5000, down from £40,000.

Teams who win in the quarter final will now receive £40,000 instead of £50,000 and the runners-up in the competition will be net £42,000 – £8,000 less than before.

The winners will no longer receive £100,000, with £84,000 instead paid out to the top team.

Clubs also receive money through gate receipts throughout the competition but average attendances are generally much lower.

Other potential income streams from the EFL Trophy include iFollow passes priced at up to £10 each and merchandise sales.

The semi-final ties are usually shown on Sky Sports, which sees participating clubs paid a £20,000 ‘facility fee’.

Clubs will also be paid £10,000 if their tie is shown on television before the semi-final stage.

Source :- Doncaster Free Press.
Frankenstag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby geoffhill » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:26 am

Hoffmeister.It was ages ago when I did a list.If i do another one then you can be the first name on it.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby The Hoffmeister » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:25 am

Thanks Geoff, you'll be doing a "good looking" list next then I presume? :lol: :lol:
The Hoffmeister
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:46 am

geoffhill wrote:Hoffmeister.It was ages ago when I did a list.If i do another one then you can be the first name on it.

Strange that new-ish poster can remember that list you did all those years ago, don't you think? :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:10 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Hoffmeister.It was ages ago when I did a list.If i do another one then you can be the first name on it.

Strange that new-ish poster can remember that list you did all those years ago, don't you think? :lol:

I can remember 2 other usernames of his :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum