{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Injuries

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Training and Injuries.

Postby Stag of Devon » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:34 pm

As I said in the original post, wouldn't it be informative to hear what the senior training staff have to say about these comments?
Any views Martin?
Stag of Devon
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:03 pm

Stag of Devon wrote:As I said in the original post, wouldn't it be informative to hear what the senior training staff have to say about these comments?
Any views Martin?

What are you exactly expecting them to say?

Clough has referenced the injuries in interviews, you’re not going to get much more than that.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Re: Injuries

Postby marksay » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:36 am

I agree with Hucknalstag if we are realistic about promotion the squad size needs to be nearer 27-30 and don’t loan out players rotate where you can .
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:38 am

Notable mentions have to go to the likes of Quinn, Bowery and Akins.

All of them are over 30, loads of games played over the course of their careers, yet they seem to keep going and not be injured for lengthy periods of time.

Perhaps we have just signed a load of players made out of Weetabix and those named above that aren't made that way have to bear the brunt of it all.

Some players are just built differently to others.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:54 am

marksay wrote:I agree with Hucknalstag if we are realistic about promotion the squad size needs to be nearer 27-30 and don’t loan out players rotate where you can .

I understand we have a maximum amount of players who are aged above 21which we have to run with. What you are suggesting is, in effect, what we are doing because we can use the likes of Abdulla, Carter, Cooper etc any time we like, in effect, making the squad 27-30 as you suggest.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:30 am

When an O21 player is out for the season you can remove him from the roster and replace with another O21 player, we did it in the past with ?, can't remember who it was.

If we want success we cannot depend on youngsters too often.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:23 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Stag of Devon wrote:As I said in the original post, wouldn't it be informative to hear what the senior training staff have to say about these comments?
Any views Martin?

What are you exactly expecting them to say?

Clough has referenced the injuries in interviews, you’re not going to get much more than that.

The manager is responsible for his strength & conditioning coach and physio. He has spoken at length about the injuries, talked about patterns (or lack of them), and I'm sure when he's talking, he is talking after extensive discussion with them. Would be up to him if he then wanted to put his physio or s&c coach forward for interview.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:28 am

If we do interview the coaching/medical staff what are people expecting?

"we are under strict orders from Nigel to push the players way too hard and make sure each season we only have 10 outfield players available in a kind of physical natural selection. Then we do sensible training with the chosen ones and try to take over league 2."
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:54 am

Walton Stag wrote:
marksay wrote:I agree with Hucknalstag if we are realistic about promotion the squad size needs to be nearer 27-30 and don’t loan out players rotate where you can .

I understand we have a maximum amount of players who are aged above 21which we have to run with. What you are suggesting is, in effect, what we are doing because we can use the likes of Abdulla, Carter, Cooper etc any time we like, in effect, making the squad 27-30 as you suggest.

You're right, we have a technical squad that is equivalent to the size of those that were mentioned:

29 have squad numbers, including long term injuries Hewitt and Kilgour, and Hartigan and Mason (out on loan). You can probably remove Adam Collin from that, making 28

Then Under 21 players Anderson, Wauchope, Krusynski, and Carter who dont have numbers yet but are Under-21. So effectively a squad of 32.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:47 pm

Stag of Devon wrote:I greatly appreciate the thread by a potential neighbour of mine, the Mansfield Town Squad which is kept up to date with numbers of yellow cards for team members. I would find it particularly helpful especially at the moment, if it, or something similar, was available to show players out through injuries and expected return dates.

I have added this to my report and will attempt to keep updated after each game, along with goals, assists, and yellow/red cards

https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... tchid=1233
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:15 pm

Wasn't McLaughlin supposed the me mid-late Sept, not October?

"O'Toole (ankle, return later than early Sept)" so mid-sept?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby mhs » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:26 pm

I've written them both off.
McLaughlin after his never getting quite right and O'Toole after his 3 year contract.
mhs
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:36 pm

mhs wrote:I've written them both off.
McLaughlin after his never getting quite right and O'Toole after his 3 year contract.

Isn't this 2 seasons running O'Toole has managed to injure himself bytripping over a team mate in training?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:59 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Wasn't McLaughlin supposed the me mid-late Sept, not October?

Clough said on Tuesday: "Stephen McLaughlin is going to get tested this week, if all goes well, then he'll start outside and it will be probably 6-8 weeks from there."
Hence mid-late Oct.

Clough said on Tuesday: O'Toole return later than Gale (who is early Sept).
Hence "later than early Sept". He did not say "mid-Sept"
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby S7AGS » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:06 pm

I have to say some players injuries are suspect to me. JJ was excellent before his new contract and
As far as I remember bullet proof, literally to the day since he signed he’s made if glass! I’m sure it’s all genuine but starting to look very suspicious, long term injuries happening in training should be very rare….
When your not in the blood and thunder of a proper game players shouldn’t be anywhere near bad injuries in training
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby broomo » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:58 am

S7AGS wrote:I have to say some players injuries are suspect to me. JJ was excellent before his new contract and
As far as I remember bullet proof, literally to the day since he signed he’s made if glass! I’m sure it’s all genuine but starting to look very suspicious, long term injuries happening in training should be very rare….
When your not in the blood and thunder of a proper game players shouldn’t be anywhere near bad injuries in training

Goodness me.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:19 am

Can this thread be made a sticky ?
Might put the mockers on future injuries as nothing else is working.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:30 am

S7AGS wrote:I have to say some players injuries are suspect to me. JJ was excellent before his new contract and

:lol: :lol:

Did you not see how kilgour got injured against Doncaster? Are you suggesting that because he didn't get injured in the 'blood and thunder of a proper game' that there's something suspicious about it?

Have a word mate
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:46 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Wasn't McLaughlin supposed the me mid-late Sept, not October?

Clough said on Tuesday: "Stephen McLaughlin is going to get tested this week, if all goes well, then he'll start outside and it will be probably 6-8 weeks from there."
Hence mid-late Oct.

Clough said on Tuesday: O'Toole return later than Gale (who is early Sept).
Hence "later than early Sept". He did not say "mid-Sept"

I see.

Didn't catch the press conference, so last I heard at the time as mid-late September which was quoted last season or in preseason.

I didn't say he said mid-sept. To me if something is later than early Sept then it's mid sept. There's no context on O'Toole's injury summary.

"O'Toole (ankle, return later than James Gale who is due back 5th Sept)"
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:36 pm

Dan
Manager