{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Scotland training camp

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Scotland training camp

Postby S7AGS » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:53 am

We need another striker… even before these injuries it’s obvious. I’ve said it before on here and been shot down by the ‘we were top scorers’ gang…
Our strikers don’t score enough goals Bowery not a striker, Oates decent but not a ‘goal scorer’ will get single figures, Akins will get single figures, scored a few preseason against pub sides but not a finisher does a job to help other strikers but not a goal scorer, Gale young and promising but won’t get game time , swan decent and will get goals but clearly injury prone
Need a solid proven goal scorer or something different like someone with pace up front
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Conker » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:58 am

Although I would like another attacking options, our squad has plenty of goals as last season proved.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:09 am

S7AGS wrote:We need another striker… even before these injuries it’s obvious. I’ve said it before on here and been shot down by the ‘we were top scorers’ gang…
Our strikers don’t score enough goals Bowery not a striker, Oates decent but not a ‘goal scorer’ will get single figures, Akins will get single figures, scored a few preseason against pub sides but not a finisher does a job to help other strikers but not a goal scorer, Gale young and promising but won’t get game time , swan decent and will get goals but clearly injury prone
Need a solid proven goal scorer or something different like someone with pace up front

And you'll rightly be shot down again....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:39 am

Captain Cunno wrote:
S7AGS wrote:We need another striker… even before these injuries it’s obvious. I’ve said it before on here and been shot down by the ‘we were top scorers’ gang…

I think Akins will be in double figures tbh. He might actually be playing in his best position for most of the season. Swan should be aiming for 20. Surely we have enough quality up front.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:45 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

I think Akins will be in double figures tbh. He might actually be playing in his best position for most of the season. Swan should be aiming for 20. Surely we have enough quality up front.

In fairness Akins played in his best position for most of last season too.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:17 am

Seasons gone.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:19 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

We do have enough quality to score goals. If we didn't we'd not be the highest scorers last season. 6th highest in 21/22. Both full seasons for Clough.

Last season we were 13th lowest conceding goals (meaning 12 other teams conceded less goals than us. Including Colchester in 20th and Gillingham in 17th), The season before we were 9th lowest conceding goals.

We have 6 forwards. We really do not need any more.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:28 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

True but I feel with Swan Oates or Gale partnering Lucas with DKD or Maris in the 10 role we will score plenty of goals this season and Lucas will also get more chances.

We don't need another forward in my view unless an exceptional one becomes available and we can move Bowery on..

We needed to sort that defence out this summer which we clearly have.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Blackburn Stag » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:29 am

Always find it funny when football fans make what they think may happen sound like fact using "will", "won't". Although against lower level teams, it seems possible to me that Akins may have been asked to play more between the posts in the friendlies so far, which may have contributed to his 2 hat-tricks. Can only hope his scoring form continues into the season.
Blackburn Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkstag » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:32 am

There is no top scorers gang - we were top scorers. That’s a fact !
If everyone’s fit I disagree , I think we have enough.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:10 am

I don't think we necessarily need another striker, we possibly need a loan winger with electric speed (just to make Yorkshire Stag happy as much as anything) but looking at the comments from S7AGS what might need to change is the way in which Clough uses them.
I presume that Swan and Akins will be his first choice pairing and then we have Oates and Gale to come on and have an impact. Oates has hot streaks when he is on form and it is about giving him enough game time to find that time. I would want to see Gale getting game time each game if possible as I think he could be really exciting.
Ultimately if they all stay fit, Clough has a lot of juggling to do but I don't see it as an issue or concern that we will not score enough. As Broomo has said in the past, Clough does not rely on 20 a season strikers very often
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:37 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:00 pm

I think we’re fine up front for now. Another good option there wouldn’t go amiss but I wouldn’t say it’s a NEED as of yet. For me, we’ll score plenty of goals if we can keep Keillor-Dunn, Swan and Akins all fit and playing together. KD behind Swan and Akins in the diamond is an exciting trio. KD provides a real goal scoring threat from slightly deeper along with his creativity, Swan provides the pace in behind and in the channels along with his finishing prowess, and Akins provides the quality hold up play for Swan to play off and to get us up the pitch.

Perhaps injuries and/or poor form from a couple forwards will mean we look for reinforcements there in January, but for now I think we have just enough. I wouldn’t complain if we brought another good forward in though of course!
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:17 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

I might be thinking more about his first half season with us…the last few seasons have rolled into one :lol: at least in my grey matter! I thought he was decent last season, especially last half of the season.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:18 pm

Rhys Oates is shown in the latest training pics from the morning.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:18 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

We do have enough quality to score goals. If we didn't we'd not be the highest scorers last season. 6th highest in 21/22. Both full seasons for Clough.

Last season we were 13th lowest conceding goals (meaning 12 other teams conceded less goals than us. Including Colchester in 20th and Gillingham in 17th), The season before we were 9th lowest conceding goals.

We have 6 forwards. We really do not need any more.

Exactly Gazza!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:00 pm

I think you can consider yourself completely & utterly riddled with bullets.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:36 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby S7AGS » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:04 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

Hate to be a told you so but had to look back to preseason…seen it a mile off, we have been excellent so far but DO NOT have a proper striker it as obvious last season and same this… massive shame as if we’d have added 1 or 2 we’d be 6 points clear now
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:05 pm

If my aunty had balls she would be my uncle
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:19 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:If my aunty had balls she would be my uncle

Can she score goals :lol: :lol: :lol:
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:30 pm

S7AGS wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

Hate to be a told you so but had to look back to preseason…seen it a mile off, we have been excellent so far but DO NOT have a proper striker it as obvious last season and same this… massive shame as if we’d have added 1 or 2 we’d be 6 points clear now

Don’t hate it mate…you are right…I was too hopeful :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum