{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:54 pm

I'm assuming 81 points will be enough for automatic promotion, TOP 3 finish.

Current Table
PLD.....W......D.......L......PTS........PPG
11........3.......7.......1........16.........1.45

Required for 81 points
PLD.....W......D......L........PTS.......PPG
35........21.....2......12........65........1.86
35........20.....5......10........65........1.86
35........19.....8.......8.........65........1.86
35........18.....11.....6.........65........1.86
35........17.....14.....4.........65........1.86
35........16.....17.....2.........65........1.86
35........15.....20.....0.........65........1.86

Based on our current PPG 1.45, we would finish on 66 points, which is the same number of points as the 2016/17 season when we finished 12th.

This season's frustrating, re-occurring, problem is taking the lead (4 times) and then only drawing (equalisers in 63rd, 88th, 94th & 95th minutes). If we'd won these games (8 points) we'd be in 2nd place.
We've scored the 1st goal in 7/11 games, so with 2 nil/nil draws we've only been losing in 2 games.
Top of the table Lincoln have also scored the 1st goal in 7 games and then won all 7 games.
Forest Green have scored the 1st goal in 8 games and then drawn 6 of them games.

However, prior to today's game Stags had the best defensive record in League 2, so it's scoring rather than defending that's the main issue.
Apart from the Newport (3-0) & Northampton (4-0) games, we've only scored 9 goals in 9 games.

The current style of play at home is the most entertaining in over a decade, and this is reflected in attendances.

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
User avatar
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:02 am

KirkbyStag2 wrote:I'm assuming 81 points will be enough for automatic promotion, TOP 3 finish.

Current Table
PLD.....W......D.......L......PTS........PPG
11........3.......7.......1........16.........1.45

Required for 81 points
PLD.....W......D......L........PTS.......PPG
35........21.....2......12........65........1.86
35........20.....5......10........65........1.86
35........19.....8.......8.........65........1.86
35........18.....11.....6.........65........1.86
35........17.....14.....4.........65........1.86
35........16.....17.....2.........65........1.86
35........15.....20.....0.........65........1.86

Based on our current PPG 1.45, we would finish on 66 points, which is the same number of points as the 2016/17 season when we finished 12th.

This season's frustrating, re-occurring, problem is taking the lead (4 times) and then only drawing (equalisers in 63rd, 88th, 94th & 95th minutes). If we'd won these games (8 points) we'd be in 2nd place.
We've scored the 1st goal in 7/11 games, so with 2 nil/nil draws we've only been losing in 2 games.
Top of the table Lincoln have also scored the 1st goal in 7 games and then won all 7 games.
Forest Green have scored the 1st goal in 8 games and then drawn 6 of them games.

However, prior to today's game Stags had the best defensive record in League 2, so it's scoring rather than defending that's the main issue.
Apart from the Newport (3-0) & Northampton (4-0) games, we've only scored 9 goals in 9 games.

The current style of play at home is the most entertaining in over a decade, and this is reflected in attendances.

:coys:


We’re missing a sheet hot striker.

DFs tactics are creating chances, the defence are keeping clean sheets it’s the way the team enters the last 10 minutes of games that’s the main problem. Solution is buy a excellent striker who is going to,put away the golden chances both Rose and Walker have been missing or change the way you set your team up for the last quarter of the game.

If we can cut out the last minute equalisers then top three is a possibility as we haven’t looked close to losing any game that we have ended up drawing.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby DogsDoDahs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:12 am

delusional
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 am

DogsDoDahs wrote:delusional


Petulant child.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby DogsDoDahs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:30 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:delusional


Petulant child.

Yes ok. Ive actually travelled to each and every home game including pre season and seen the petulant child we call a manager cripple a team of good players with his inept tactics and clueless substitutions. You are obviously one of the morons thinking we will get more than 68 points this season. Dream on if you think we will win 15 to 20 more games this season from the remaining 25.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:35 am

DogsDoDahs wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:delusional


Petulant child.

Yes ok. Ive actually travelled to each and every home game including pre season and seen the petulant child we call a manager cripple a team of good players with his inept tactics and clueless substitutions. You are obviously one of the morons thinking we will get more than 68 points this season. Dream on if you think we will win 15 to 20 more games this season from the remaining 25.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


There’s more than 25 games left.

Also do you require a blue peter badge for attending all the games :D
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby DogsDoDahs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:44 am

MTFCMAD wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:delusional


Petulant child.

Yes ok. Ive actually travelled to each and every home game including pre season and seen the petulant child we call a manager cripple a team of good players with his inept tactics and clueless substitutions. You are obviously one of the morons thinking we will get more than 68 points this season. Dream on if you think we will win 15 to 20 more games this season from the remaining 25.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


There’s more than 25 games left.

Also do you require a blue peter badge for attending all the games :D


Your right again, pressed wrong button, its 35 left. Guess you can count the live games you have attended on the six fingers on your hands. Good night
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:47 am

DogsDoDahs wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:delusional


Petulant child.

Yes ok. Ive actually travelled to each and every home game including pre season and seen the petulant child we call a manager cripple a team of good players with his inept tactics and clueless substitutions. You are obviously one of the morons thinking we will get more than 68 points this season. Dream on if you think we will win 15 to 20 more games this season from the remaining 25.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


There’s more than 25 games left.

Also do you require a blue peter badge for attending all the games :D


Your right again, pressed wrong button, its 35 left. Guess you can count the live games you have attended on the six fingers on your hands. Good night


:lol:
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1722
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby Hitchcocks size 10s » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:51 am

His record so far is 5 wins from 23 games, does anybody realistically think this man can win between 15 and 20 games from the remaining 35 this season. I for one don’t think he is capable of this, for God’s sake he hasn’t even won 2 on the bounce since he’s been here. Yes the football is good on the eye but doesn’t get you anywhere when you are constantly making the same mistakes over and over again and ending up drawing all the time. Over to you DF to prove us all wrong.
Hitchcocks size 10s
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:20 am

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby abc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:38 am

Not under Flipflop we won't.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby Tawnystag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:25 am

Yes. Ive been to every single game this season and I’m loving this team again. Mark my words this team will only improve. We put up with Evans’ flannel about gelling for months, the same is happening here. Give it time, Walker isn’t the striker we thought he was going to be - not Flitcrofts fault, everyone believed he was going to be great in this league. He needs to look again in January and make a class signing - then we will skyrocket. Patience is the key here. All this negativity is a distraction.
Tawnystag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby Sneag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:34 am

Against Northampton and even more so against Oldham Stags looked impressive because we remained on the front foot and carried an attacking threat for 90 minutes. Okay Oldham was frustrating but that's football.

When we try to close out a game by sitting deep and absorbing pressure we fail. Until we stop throwing points away by trying to sit on 1 goal leads we won't get near the top 3.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
User avatar
Sneag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6597
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: Evidently Chickentown

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby Tawnystag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:37 am

I’m not sure we are sitting back though? Bury just threw the kitchen sink at us with nothing to lose in the last section of the game in order to get a result at home. It naturally forces us back.
Tawnystag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby Jamie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:11 am

Tawnystag wrote:I’m not sure we are sitting back though? Bury just threw the kitchen sink at us with nothing to lose in the last section of the game in order to get a result at home. It naturally forces us back.


But when that happens. The best sides either defend well and keep a side out, or keep calm and keep the ball and stop them from having it.

We've shown we have the skill to keep it and play it round. We need to get a the confidence to do that when we're under pressure.

And no, I can't see us getting close to the top three. Play offs is a maybe at best.
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4353
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby stag861 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:28 am

Play-offs if we're lucky. Top three? More chance of spirites going up.
stag861
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:50 am

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby BigGuy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:47 am

Tawnystag wrote:I’m not sure we are sitting back though? Bury just threw the kitchen sink at us with nothing to lose in the last section of the game in order to get a result at home. It naturally forces us back.


When you take off your entire strikeforce, then you are sitting back, trust me.
BigGuy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby abc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 am

BigGuy wrote:
Tawnystag wrote:I’m not sure we are sitting back though? Bury just threw the kitchen sink at us with nothing to lose in the last section of the game in order to get a result at home. It naturally forces us back.


When you take off your entire strikeforce, then you are sitting back, trust me.


A bit like the 'ladies' behind the windows in Amsterdam . Inviting them on.
abc
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:15 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby Jimstag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:03 am

both attacking and defending are the problem. We should have more goals with the chances we’ve created but we’ve also conceded more late goals than we should have. It becomes a question of should we have been out of sight before conceding the goals or should we have been capable of winning 1-0?
Jimstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby Vice President » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:04 pm

We aren't good enough at the moment for top 3.

We are capable of a play-off place .... but we need to improve significantly in the final third. Ultimately, we need a proven goal scorer. (Walker doesn't appear to be the answer).

Also we need to learn how to stop conceding goals in the last few minutes - and equally how to score in the last few minutes - (That means DF needs to learn quickly from his tactical mistakes and poor substitutions).

Personally, i think we will finish mid-table.
Vice President
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:27 pm

So we need to go 2-0 up to be safe.?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2954
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:28 pm

BigGuy wrote:
Tawnystag wrote:I’m not sure we are sitting back though? Bury just threw the kitchen sink at us with nothing to lose in the last section of the game in order to get a result at home. It naturally forces us back.


When you take off your entire strikeforce, then you are sitting back, trust me.


MTFCMusings says that is rubbish, we had CJ and Butcher up front apparently
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby Jimstag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:02 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:So we need to go 2-0 up to be safe.?


In some of the 1-1 draws we’ve had enough chances to have 3 or 4. But to state the obvious the larger your lead the harder it should be for the opposition to catch you, it’ll still happen but less often.
Jimstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby stags1963 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:58 pm

We have not a chance under this manager. Draw specialist. To negative we can't defend a 1-0 lead always plays to deep.
stags1963
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:02 pm

stags1963 wrote:We have not a chance under this manager. Draw specialist. To negative we can't defend a 1-0 lead always plays to deep.


Too (not “to”)

and you’re wrong.
Edders
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6126
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: North Notts

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3 ?

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:03 pm

4 out of 5 of the next League games are AWAY.

Followed by 4 of the next 5 League games at HOME.

:coys:
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
User avatar
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1569
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests