{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lewis

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Lewis

Postby stagmanrob » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:10 pm

Should we be playing him at full back given our injury list and the fact that he was Newport's player of the season in either of those positions?
I don't know why we converted him into a centre midfielder in the first place actually....but for weeks now he has been poor, so maybe it could help to play himself back into a bit of form? (hopefully)

We might have to try something as we've not looked good and the injuries are mounting again.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Re: Lewis

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 pm

I would play Hewitt and Flint at centre half with Bowery at right back and Macca at left back.

I would leave Lewis on the bench, he hasn't looked near his best for a while now.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby robda1st » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 pm

He would have been a better option at rb in the second half. He's played most.of his career and quite a few at lb but there must be some reason clough won't play him there.
robda1st
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:07 pm

Why do we ignore his long throw ?
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:59 pm

I thought he was one of the better performers today, not that he had to do much to be one of those.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:14 am

Have to say I find it odd too but then again I don't see him in training etc. I can't see how he can be worse than Akins who really looked out of his depth there 2nd half today and who we actually missed playing in his best role just behind the striker.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:21 am

Someone I know talked to Aaron Lewis before the reserve game against Lincoln the other day and apparently he said he had a hamstring injury. Maybe that is affecting him. Also makes you ask the question, how many of our players are playing with injuries?
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:17 am

MTFC Man wrote:Someone I know talked to Aaron Lewis before the reserve game against Lincoln the other day and apparently he said he had a hamstring injury. Maybe that is affecting him. Also makes you ask the question, how many of our players are playing with injuries?

Flint is still playing with his shoulder not fully right.

He said in that interview he did prior to the Colchester game that he'd wait until the end of the season to see if it required surgery.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:16 am

Our whole defence, including Pym are off form at the moment. I don’t know if it’s the pressure or the injuries they are carrying but we look like conceding every time a team runs at us.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:29 am

stag324 wrote:Our whole defence, including Pym are off form at the moment. I don’t know if it’s the pressure or the injuries they are carrying but we look like conceding every time a team runs at us.

I don’t agree about Pym. I thought he made two fantastic saves against Colchester in the second half. One he touched on to the far post and the other he pushed a header from a corner over the crossbar when fully stretched. He could not have done anything about Wrexham’s two goals either. In fact, there had obviously been some research done on Mullins’ penalties because he stood his ground assuming he would go straight down the middle. Problem was, Mullin hit it that hard it would have taken his head off if it had hit him.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby victor A block » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:31 am

Lets get back to Reed, Clarke, Maris and/or Quinn in midfield with DKD at the top. Its always been our most competitive combo.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:50 am

victor A block wrote:Lets get back to Reed, Clarke, Maris and/or Quinn in midfield with DKD at the top. Its always been our most competitive combo.

We’ve only started with that midfield twice this season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:53 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
victor A block wrote:Lets get back to Reed, Clarke, Maris and/or Quinn in midfield with DKD at the top. Its always been our most competitive combo.

Did we win them ?
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:13 am

Aaron Lewis only played because Stephen Quinn had been ill. He had a reasonable game and showed signs of returning to his searly season form.

You need your big players at this time of the season and Stephen Quinn's quick ball control and passing was badly missed yesterday. However as Parkinson pointed out Wrexham deliberately made it a physical scrappy game yesterday and were then quicker to the second ball. Stephen Quinn could have reacted badly to being chopped down or man handled and been sent off.

Hopefully Quinn is available on Monday and starts with Ollie Clarke and Louis Reed in midfield. We can also play George Maris in the No 10 position if Will Swan is injured.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:04 am

If our right backs are unfit then why not play Lewis in the right back position, it is one role he knows very well. To persevere with him on the left of midfield when he cannot kick with his left foot is silly.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:28 am

oldweststander wrote:If our right backs are unfit then why not play Lewis in the right back position, it is one role he knows very well. To persevere with him on the left of midfield when he cannot kick with his left foot is silly.

He played left back at Newport
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:01 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Aaron Lewis only played because Stephen Quinn had been ill. He had a reasonable game and showed signs of returning to his searly season form.

You need your big players at this time of the season and Stephen Quinn's quick ball control and passing was badly missed yesterday. However as Parkinson pointed out Wrexham deliberately made it a physical scrappy game yesterday and were then quicker to the second ball. Stephen Quinn could have reacted badly to being chopped down or man handled and been sent off.

Hopefully Quinn is available on Monday and starts with Ollie Clarke and Louis Reed in midfield. We can also play George Maris in the No 10 position if Will Swan is injured.
We are much better if Quinn plays. Although given Wrexham’s, occasional over the top, physicality I think the “homer” referee would have sent him off. I’m still angry about the horrendous challenge on Hewitt. More so with the referee not producing his red card. I think the injustice will spur the players on, so I’m not too disappointed by the defeat.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BarnsleyStag » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:49 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I would play Hewitt and Flint at centre half with Bowery at right back and Macca at left back.

I would leave Lewis on the bench, he hasn't looked near his best for a while now.

Agree. Reed; Clarke, Quinn; Maris; Akins, Keillor-Dunn for the rest of the outfield players.
BarnsleyStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:05 pm

Aaron Lewis played left wing back for Newport last season but he also played right wing back in the last game of the season. He also played in midfield.

Cameron Norman played right wing back and signed for Franchise FC in the summer. Will Evans also played left wing back.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:07 pm

Aaron Lewis was at fault for the first goal yesterday along with Stephen McLaughlin and Lewis Brunt. Macca and Aaron Lewis both totally lost Andy Cannon and let him run in behind. Macca was quite high up the pitch so Aaron should have picked him up.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:47 pm

daddycool wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Did we win them ?

Yes, at home v County and away against Forest Green.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum