{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from January 2003

29th January 2003 20:37

Stags Reserves lost 10 (ten) - 1 to Scunthorpe Res this afternoon.

Keith Parnill at Field Mill

Baptiste and Jones (were both sent off with straight red cards.

Beagrie played for Scunny and got 6 (six). Bacon and Tankard played for the full 90 minutes, Sellars was subbed about three quarters of the way through.

Stags went one down after 20 minutes from a free kick on the edge of the area after Baptiste was sent off (last man). Levelled after about 40 minutes, goal by trialist (someone said it was a lad from Sheff Utd by the name of Ward). Two late goals at the end of the first half, one a penalty) gave
Scunthorpe a 3-1 lead at the break.

The second half is too painful to go into...
Red cards fury as Beagrie hits double hat-trick in hammering for Stags reserves
CHAD website

FORMER Premiership star Peter Beagrie grabbed a sensational double hat-trick as a very youthful Stags Reserves were given a 10-1 hiding in the Avon Insurance League at Field Mill this afternoon.

But most of the post-match talk centred on another controversial refereeing performance by Mr Steve Bratt who sent off two Stags players, 16-year-old pair Alex Baptiste and Alan Jones both given straight reds for professional fouls.
There was much controversy over Mr Bratt's decision to red card Iyseden Christie at Crewe in a recent first team game and both these red cards today brought more fury from the Stags bench.
Stags boss Keith Curle had decided to play a team comprising chiefly second year trainees to assess them, along with three trialists plus first teamers Danny Bacon, Scott Sellars and Allen Tankard.
But he had little chance to learn much as they played short-handed from the 19th minute with young keeper James Coates making a string of excellent saves to prevent further embarrassment, though Coates will be disappointed to get beaten three times from long range by the wily Beagrie.
Baptiste had already headed narrowly wide for Stags before he was sent off on 19 minutes.
He certainly tried to bring down Andrew Parton well outside the box as the Scunthorpe man tried to go clear. Mr Bratt rightly decided to allow advantage and Parton kept his feet and was only thwarted by an excellent stop by keeper Coates.
Incredibly, the chance having gone, Mr Bratt brought play back to where Baptiste's attempted foul had taken place and then sent the distraught youngster off.
To add insult to injury, Beagrie then stepped up and curled home one of his trademark free kicks.
Sellars was lucky to only see yellow for furious protests after another Mr Bratt decision shortly afterwards.
Nevertheless, Stags drew level on 39 minutes when Sheffield United trialist striker Mark Ward slid bravely in with keeper Adam Capp and, as the ball ran loose, guided it home.
But Mansfield were hit by a double blow late in the half.
Paul Hayes was allowed a far post free header from Fabian Smith's cross to make it 2-1 on 45 minutes.
And in stoppage time Tankard scythed down Russell Penn to offer Beagrie a chance from the spot which he tucked away.
Parton slid in the fourth from a Stuart Preston cross on 50 minutes and Beagrie completed his first hat-trick on 56 when he caught Coates off his line with a superb dipping effort from 30 yards.
Three minutes later it was 6-1 as Parton put the ball away at the third attempt after a good save and a goal line clearance. And it was 7-1 within a minute as Coates fumbled Beagrie's 30-yard blast over his line.
Beagrie took his personal tally to five on 64 minutes as the home defence went AWOL once more.
Mr Bratt then made his second dismissal of the game. This time Alan Jones clearly tugged back Preston on 78 minutes though the Scunthorpe man still managed to wrestle him off and get in a shot.
With the score at 8-1 and 12 minutes to go, there was little at stake apart from the youngsters gaining some match experience and a yellow card seemed sufficient. But Mr Bratt decided the 16-year-old had to go as well.
Three minutes later it was 9-1, Aaron O'Connor waltzing through. And Beagrie brought up the magic six for himself on 90 minutes with another wicked dipper from range that found the top right hand corner.
Along with Ward, there were trials for former Luton player Liam George and non-contract player Chris Adams.
At least Tankard got 90 minutes under his belt while Sellars played just over an hour.
But there were very few other positive points on a biting cold Field Mill afternoon.

STAGS: Coates, Davies (Ryalls 51mins), Tankard, Sellars (Carter 62mins), Baptiste, Buxton, Bacon, Jones, Ward, George, Adams (Robinson 59mins). Subs not used: Lloyd, Hankey.


Latest | January 2003