TRANSFER LATEST/CHAPMAN/TAFAZOLLI/RAISE STANDARDS
Cox speaks to potential new signings
7th May 2013
Paul Cox is in discussions with a number of new players as he looks to assemble a squad ready for League Two.
This morning, in the manager’s weekly press briefing, Cox revealed he has been speaking to potential new signings, but admits he has a fight on his hands to re-sign out-of-contract Luke Jones & Matt Green, who are in discussions with clubs in higher divisions.
Paul Cox is speaking to our Head of Media & Communications Mark Stevenson
see video at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/cox-speaks-to-potential-new-signings-811632.aspx?#pLRCm0ao2a1hmhvg.99
The manager announced his released/retained list last week, where seven players were shown the door from the squad which were crowned champions of non-league.
“Matt Green and Luke Jones are talking to other clubs but we’re hopeful of retaining them as players. There’s a lot of clubs who have watched Greeny and will want his services. Both players will think serious about it [the club’s offer] and make the right decision for themselves.”
On potential new acquisitions, Cox said: “The players that we bring in, I want them to add to us and make us better. They have to have hunger, desire and want to win.
“There’ll be a lot of players who’ll be out of work this year. We’ve dipped our ‘toe in the market’ already and have lost out. We’re the new kids on the block this season, so we’ll lose out on some. But we are looking at players, and they have to come to us for the right reasons.
Meanwhile, Louis Briscoe is set to put pen to paper on a new deal in the next 24 hours
Cox to raise standards
8th May 2013
The players who come back will be a bit surprised because we are going to raise the bar with them."
Paul Cox is speaking to our Head of Media & Communications Mark Stevenson
see video at http://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/article/cox-to-raise-standards-813281.aspx?#f7QDk0SskmCtCp7d.99
Manager Paul Cox says standards at the club will increase even further heading into next season, as he prepares for life in League Two.
The 41-year-old guided us to the BSBP league title last month, securing our return to the Football League after a five year absence.
Cox is, mindful, however that next season will bring its own challenges and insists the club have to adapt to the new league.
“I’m ambitious, I know the chairman is ambitious, but we have to remember that we’re ‘the new kids on the block’ now,” said Cox at yesterday’s press meeting.
“For me, it’s a fresh start. We have to plan again. The infrastructure within the club has to get better and stronger because we’re competing against bigger and better [clubs].
“We will raise the bar on the football side, in terms of professionalism and the way we do things. The players who come back will be a bit surprised because we are going to raise the bar with them.
“I would never want to go into any league and not compete at the top end of it. We have to be mindful though that we have just back in the league and [are competing against] bigger clubs at this level of football. The whole club has to learn what it’s about and adjust if we are to be successful.”
Mansfield Town working hard to get the right formula in League
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 Nottingham Post
Read more: http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Mansfield-Town-working-hard-right-formula-League/story-18980030-detail/story.html#ixzz2THrngCjn
AS the stadium erupted, scenes of relief and joy were played out among the loyal fans who had supported their side through thick and thin.
Children cried, grown-men clasped each other tightly and yellow and blue-adorned players bounded around the pitch with an energy that belied their on-field efforts.
Mansfield Town had hung on to a slim lead during the final game of the 2012/13 season and secured a return to the football league after five years away.
But, the celebrations are over and the hard work starts now. The Stags have returned to a league now occupied by the likes of Portsmouth, Scunthorpe United, Bristol Rovers and, of course, their sworn rivals Chesterfield.
And for Stags boss Paul Cox, changes to the whole footballing structure at the One Call Stadium will be necessary to compete with these teams and ensure Town remain in the Football League.
He said: "I'm totally unsure about what the fans expect us to do, what their expectations are.
"I'm ambitious, the chairman is fiercely ambitious but we've got to remember we are the new kids on the block.
"It's a fresh start but the infrastructure has got to get better and stronger because we are competing against bigger and better.
"We are going to raise the bar on the footballing side in terms of our professionalism and the way we do things. The players coming back might be a little bit surprised because we are going to raise the bar with them."
The ambitious manager maintained a fiercely positive attitude throughout the 2012/13 season and has no intention of changing his ways in the future.
He said: "I never want to go into a league and not be competitive at the top of it, but we've got to bear in mind the size of clubs and we are an unknown quantity. The whole club has got to learn what it's all about."
For Cox, the future of the club should involve a successful youth academy, and improvements are being planned in that area. He said: "I'm in discussions with a couple of people about making the youth team and academy stronger.
"We are a League Two club. The kids have come on leaps and bounds and we don't want to be a club that is just opening the door and letting them go. "We want to bring them on and into the first team. There are a couple knocking on the door."
Despite the efforts needed for the club to evolve, Cox intends to stick with a winning formula on the pitch.
He said: "We knew that last year the squad was too big and we stripped it down and got that intimacy and love in the group. I'd like to work with the same size squad as last year.
"I like dealing with the small, tight-knit groups and we will go with that this year."
While squad places in this Stags side will be at a premium, the former Eastwood boss is still looking for improvements.
"I don't want to come out with figures, but if a good player becomes available that is hungry and fits our bill then we will bring them in," he continued.
Cox's recipe is one which has certainly been successful and Stags fans will be dreaming of another season of glory ahead.
Whether that glory comes in the form of a consecutive promotion assault, another impressive cup run or last-ditch league survival is yet to be decided, but the coming season absolutely promises excitement either way.
Mansfield Town give defender Ryan Tafazolli new deal
By Nottingham Post, May 09, 2013
MANSFIELD Town have handed a new deal to young defender Ryan Tafazolli.
Read more: http://archive.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Mansfield-Town-defender-Ryan-Tafazolli-new-deal/story-18934507-detail/story.html#ixzz2j6QbaXCA
The 21-year-old spent a large part of the season out injured but Stags boss Paul Cox believes he still has a part to play.
The centre-back has been handed a six-month-deal to prove himself as the Stags return to the Football League.
Cox said: "The lad has only just turned 21, he's had injuries that were quite serious, a six centimetre tear in his hamstring and damaged ankle ligaments after that.
"We've given him a six month contract. We haven't done that for anything else other than wanting him to hit the ground running when he's back. He's got all the potential in the world if he's fully fit, he's 6 ft 5, quick, strong and potentially could play a lot higher than League Two."
Latest | October 2013