{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2012

13th September 2012 11:41

post match audio interview with Paul Cox --->

Ebbsfleet manager Liam Daish told BBC Radio Kent:

"They're all important, the wins, but after the week we've had that was just what we needed.

"Things had been said, a few home truths, we swapped things about a bit and I got a reaction.

"Our fitness levels today were great in the sun, some of them had a bit of a day off first half on Tuesday so I was expecting high energy levels.

"We had desire and you've got to have desire, in whatever sport you do, football or badminton or whatever."

Mansfield Town manager Paul Cox told BBC Radio Nottingham:

"I have never seen a set of officials make so many bad decisions in one game. I know they have a hard job to do.

"The decision for Matt Green (sending off) was absolutely embarrassing. The decision for their penalty was embarrassing.

"He (the referee) said he sent me off for being aggressive. All I have done is walked onto the pitch and booted the ball, and I probably shouldn't have done that."


Mansfield Town manager Paul Cox 'embarrassed' by match officials in defeat at Ebbsfleet
chad.co.uk, By John Lomas

STAGS boss Paul Cox said he was 'embarrassed' by the officials' decisions as 10-men Stags lost 3-1 at Ebbsfleet United this afternoon.


Matt Green was sent off for an elbow on Paul Lorraine, which only the fourth official saw, while Cox himself was sent to the stands for kicking the ball away after a soft late penalty decision finally killed off the Stags.

“I was totally embarrassed by some of the decisions today,” said Cox.

“I know they have a hard job but they had one big decision to make today and got it wrong.

“Their centre half has landed on Matt Rhead and struck him two or three times. He even gave the foul so he must have seen it, but the lad stayed on the park.

“Then he has sent Matt Green off for a flailing elbow which only the fourth official saw. The third official was standing next to us in a good position and the referee was only 20 yards away. No one else in the ground has seen it.

“I've never seen a fourth official make the decision on a sending-off at a football match. Matt would not throw an elbow – he is not that kind of character.

“We have had two lads come off with blood pouring from elbow to the face today with nothing given as well.

“I can't for the life of me see why they gave them a penalty too. Two players have come together shoulder to shoulder twice. The first clash was harder but they've given the second.”

He added: “Decisions change games and it is hard enough to come to places like this without going down to 10 men and even worse in 30 degree heat.

“We were not in any danger until the sending-off and I thought we looked comfortable and positive until then.

“We should have defended better for their two goals, but I feel a bit sorry for the lads today as they have given me everything. I will watch the DVD but we just have to shut the door on today and move on.”


Furious Mansfield boss Cox slams referee
Nottingham Post

MANSFIELD Town manager Paul Cox said he is closing the door on a frustrating defeat to Ebbsfleet at the weekend and moving on.


The Stags went to Kent having won four of their previous five games and started the game solidly.

But last season's top scorer Matt Green was sent off shortly after the half hour mark after a clash with Paul Lorraine and despite taking the lead from the spot through Louis Briscoe, Mansfield lost 3-1.

They conceded three times in the second half, the third from a penalty and Cox was infuriated by the performance of referee Chris Knowles and his team.

It saw him sent to the stands later in the second half and he said he had to draw a line under the defeat after his side battled on with ten men for an hour in sweltering heat.

Cox said: "I am closing the door on this. We need to move on and look at Braintree this Saturday and forget this.

"It was not like earlier in the season when we were poor, looked disjointed or anything like that.

This was a game spoiled by the officials. It was embarrassing.

"At 0-0 I did not feel we were under any threat. We were the better side and even when Greeny was sent off, we got the penalty, scored and were positive.

"But playing 60 to 65 minutes a man down in that heat is going to be tough for anybody. We put on fresh legs and even at 2-1 we were in the game and Speighty hit the side netting.

"But the penalty for their third goal was just an embarrassing decision.

"The lads worked hard, played 60 minutes in that heat with ten men and the officials have let them down.

" In the end, we tried to get back in the game, change our shape and put three substitutes on. But I have never seen a referee as bad as that.

"It might well get me into trouble but I have to say what I feel."


Mansfield Town boss Paul Cox vows to fight any touchline ban
Nottingham Post

PAUL Cox will fight any touchline ban that is thrown at him after being sent to the stands during Mansfield Town's frustrating defeat to Ebbsfleet.


The Stags boss was furious with referee Chris Knowles and his fellow officials, branding their performance inept after Saturday's 3-1 loss in Kent.

It all stemmed from what he felt were controversial decisions, with star striker Matt Green sent off in the first half with the game goalless for allegedly throwing an elbow.

Despite Louis Briscoe putting Mansfield ahead before the break from the penalty spot, the hosts hit back with three unanswered goal in the second period as the ten-man Stags suffered in the near 30-degree heat.

It was the last one that sent Cox over the edge, as Ritchie Sutton was penalised for nudging Nathan Elder in the back, leading to a penalty.

The Stags boss reacted angrily and was sent to the stands.

Cox said: "I will appeal mine because all I have done is kick the ball back onto the pitch. Admittedly, I did it aggressively but that is all I have done.

"I will look at Matt Green's as well on the DVD but I will look at the game in general because I was embarrassed by the officials.

"We had an inept referee. From both sides, we both admitted he did not have a clue and we had a fourth official who made the big decisions.

"The third goal, giving a penalty for a shoulder-to-shoulder challenge, I'm embarrassed about it. Frustrating is not the word.

"I am happy with the shift the lads put in with ten men. At any level of football, in that heat, it is tough.

"Yes we got sloppy for the two goals we conceded before the penalty, but the lads put in a shift."



Latest | September 2012