{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from April 2012

23rd April 2012 14:46

Blue Square Bet Premier
Hayes & Yeading Utd 1 - 3 Mansfield Town
Mingoia 37. Howell 5, Dyer 66, Green 70.
Att: 487 (approx 350 from Mansfield)

Date: 14 April 2012

Martin Shaw at Kingfield, Woking FC

Mansfield Town confirmed a place in the play-offs with a 3-1 win over Hayes & Yeading at Kingfield. Mansfield were ahead early on through Anthony Howell's calm finish but were stunned when Hayes hit back with a goal out of the blue before the break. Ross Dyer's great left footed goal put the Stags back in front in the second half and another clinical finish by Matt Green made the game safe four minutes later.

Mansfield, with 83 points, have now beaten their previous record points haul in a season since three points for a win was instigated, which was 81 points in 1985/86. This was Mansfield's 14th win in 18 games since the Christmas break, and 11th win in 13 games with the only two games not won both being against champions Fleetwood. Meanwhile the Stags are the 4th top scorers in English football (after Fleetwood, Sheff Utd, and Man City, and ahead of Man Utd).

Mansfield fans outnumbered Hayes & Yeading fans almost three to one, and were in good voice throughout. Another great day for the Stags. Things just keep getting better and better.

Ross Dyer nets Mansfield's second goal. Photo by Jeff Barnes' mate:

Man of the match: Gary Roberts

Stagsnet player ratings in the Match Centre


Hayes and Yeading 1-3 Mansfield Town, Saturday 14th April
chad.co.uk report by John Lomas

MANSFIELD Town were tonight celebrating making the BSBP end of season play-offs for the first time at the fourth attempt after a 3-1 win at strugglers Hayes and Yeading.

Two goals in four second half minutes from Ross Dyer and Matt Green finally clinched this one after sloppy Stags allowed Hayes level at the break, despite having gone ahead as early as the fifth minute through Anthony Howell.

Paul Cox's men are now assured of a top five finish after this 11th win in 13 games.

It wasn't the best display at times on a sodden Kingfield Stadium surface with Mansfield in charge for most of the first half but not testing home keeper Steve Arnold enough.

And their early lead was lost when Exodus Geohaghon and Luke O'Neill both went for the ball, collided, and gifted Pierto Mingoia an equaliser.

Hayes then started the second half brightly and asked a few questions before Stags finally took a grip with the two quick goals and, with well-timed substitutions, finished the stronger on the strength-sapping pitch.

Arnold made a string of late saves to prevent a bigger margin of victory.

Heavy rain left the pitch barely playable and there were worries it could be postponed until the sun came out and the referee was happy to start.

Stags made four changes. Out went Adam Murray, Matt Rhead, Adam Smith and Louis Briscoe from the side that beat Stockport County 2-1 on Monday.

In came Ross Dyer, Gary Roberts, Ben Hutchinson and Lindon Meikle into a 4-3-3 formation with Hutchinson playing an advanced role in the hole behind the forwards.

In a bizarre atmosphere at Hayes' temporary home, with Stags fans forming the majority of the 487 crowd on all three useable sides of the ground, Green was twice caught straying offside as Stags began the afternoon on the front foot.

But a poor clearance from Riley allowed Wishart a chance to shoot which he failed to get hold of and saw the ball deflect for a corner.

Stags immediately went upfield and grabbed a fifth minute lead through Howell.

Green set up the chance by holding the ball up on the left of the box before rolling it into the path of Howell who picked his spot with a superb first time finish low inside the right post.

Hutchinson might have doubled that on 12 minutes as he blazed over from 12 yards when Meikle, crowded out as he tried to make space for a shot, laid the ball towards him.

There was a moment's worry as Wishart chased a through ball, Marriott getting there first and then being caught late by the striker for a free kick to Mansfield.

Green was looking lively up front for the Stags and on 13 minutes he cut in from the left and fired into the sidenetting.

Walsh outjumped Riley to meet a long free kick with a header straight at Marriott on 22 minutes.

On 28 minutes Hand brought down O'Neill as he cut inside him. It did look as if the offence was committed in the box, but the referee gave a free kick just outside.

When Stags' 32nd minute corner was cleared to Roberts on the left, he floated it back towards the near post where Green's goal radar was off as he planted his header well wide.

Then Riley was wide with a header from a long Geohaghon throw as Mansfield continued to completely boss proceedings.

But, out of the blue, the home side somehow found themselves level on 37 minutes.

O'Neill and Geohaghon seemed to get in each other's way as they both tried to clear a long free kick forward from home keeper Arnold, allowing Mingoia to pick up the pieces and steer home a low finish from eight yards.

Spurred on by the goal, Hayes went on the hunt for a second and Williams sliced wide from 20 yards.

Arnold did well to dive to his left and get a hand to a curling shot from Meikle after Hutchinson had been crowded out in the initial attack and switched play to the incoming Meikle on the far side of the box.

Arnold then had to race out and punch the ball almost off the foot of Green as Meikle tried to send him through, and soon after punched well again after Dyer had flicked on a long Geohaghon throw towards goal.

In stoppage time the industrious Hutchinson crashed a 20 yard snapshot just over the bar as a loose ball ran invitingly towards him.

But Hayes held on to their unlikely parity at half-time.

Hayes cleared an early Stags corner on the restart with Argent off the field for treatment after feeling the full force of a Meikle cross.

There was danger for Mansfield on 52 minutes as Hand lifted the ball over the top of Geohaghon and into the path of Walsh.

Marriott raced out but was beaten to it by Walsh who saw his finish fly wide.

However Hayes felt Marriott's contact on Walsh should have been enough for a penalty.

As the arguments began, Hand and Geohaghon squared up and were both shown a yellow card for their troubles.

It was Hayes looking the hungrier at this stage and on 56 minutes Pele launched the ball in from the right and Bentley got in a header which flew beyond Marriott but bounced wide of the far post.

So Stags boss Cox decided to change things round and brought off Hutchinson on 58 minutes, Rhead joining Green up front in a 4-4-2, Dyer dropping to right of midfield.

Still Hayes came forward and Williams was high and wide from distance.

Bad communication between Riley and Marriott conceded a corner which Dyer headed clear.

Pele did well to beat Green to Dyer's through ball before Briscoe replaced Meikle on 63 minutes.

Rhead was penalised for a couple of early fouls after coming on and, when he flattened Spence in mid-air on 65 minutes, he was shown a yellow card.

But Rhead was then instrumental in helping Stags back ahead on 67 minutes.

A Stags free kick saw Rhead get the head-on and, as it dropped, Dyer lifted a fine half volley into the net from 12 yards.

Four minutes later Green got in on the act with his 29th goal of the season to finally make the points safe.

O'Neil sent a long, searching ball forward which Green burst onto, sidestepping the keeper to his right and the, from an ever increasing angle, still and the confidence to bury the ball into the net.

Hayes made a double change on 74 minutes, bringing on Owusu and Warren.

Rhead was desperately close to finding the net with a flicked header from Geohaghon's throw that sailed across goal and dropped just wide of the far post.

Green seemed lucky when he appeared to handle in the box as Hand tried to get the ball past him, though the shout came from the few home supporters present rather than the players.

O'Neill became the third Stags player to be booked 11 minutes from time for his foul on Cadmore.

Green's pass slipped Roberts into a one-on-one on 83 minutes, Arnold spreading himself to make a great block.

The keeper then had to get a leg in the way of a Briscoe shot at his near opost after the winger had burst towards goal from a long O'Neill free kick.

Rhead was next to test him as he cut neatly in from the right from a Roberts pass, Arnold again making the save.

In stoppage time Briscoe beat Spence in the box to get away a low shot that Arnold managed to turn aside for a fifth corner in the half.

Owusu was allowed to get away a shot from wide on the left of the box as Riley policed him but failed to make a block, Marriott alert to it and turning it round the near post.

HAYES AND YEADING: Arnold, Argent, Hand, Cadmore, Williams, Wishart (Warren 74), Bentley (Collins 86), Pele, Spence, Mingoia (Owusu 74), Walsh. Subs: Wickham, Beasant.

STAGS: Marriott; O'Neill, Riley, Geohaghon, Sutton; Roberts, Howell; Hutchinson (Rhead 58); Dyer, Green, Meikle (Briscoe 63). Subs: Worthington, Redmond, Andrew.

REFEREE: Andy Davies.



Match report: Hayes & Yeading 1 Mansfield Town 3
Nottingham Post report by freelance journalist

MATT Green scored one and set one up as he helped Mansfield Town secure a play-off berth with a hard-fought win at Hayes and Yeading in the Blue Square Bet Premier.


Anthony Howell scored an early opener for the Stags before Piero Mingoia levelled for the home side but Ross Dyer and Green scored a second-half goal each to secure the three points.

Mansfield can now prepare for a play-off campaign to return to the Football League after four years in the wilderness while they left their opponents deep in the relegation mire, four points from safety.

The Stags sit third in the Blue Square Bet Premier on 83 points and look all but certain to remain there with only York City, in fifth, able to catch them if they win their remaining three and Mansfield lose their two.

Hayes' Daniel Wishart had the game's first chance after four minutes when his shot deflected wide off Exodus Geohaghon.

But a minute later Mansfield took the lead when Ben Hutchinson set up Howell, who slotted the ball past Steve Arnold to the delight of the travelling fans who occupied all four stands at the Kingfield Stadium.

Hutchinson should have doubled the lead on 12 minutes when Lindon Meikle found him in space but the former Middlesbrough man blazed his strike over the bar.

Green then smashed a shot against the side netting as the prolific striker caused chaos among the Hayes defence.

Green almost found himself one-on-one with Arnold but the linesman adjudged the 25-year-old to be offside, much to the annoyance of the Mansfield bench.

The front quartet of Hutchinson, Green, Dyer and Meikle knocked the ball around superbly and didn't give the home defence a moment's rest.

Jamie Hand brought down Luke O'Neill on the edge of the box on 27 minutes as the Stags looked to add to their lead.

The resulting free-kick fell to Howell, who lacked composure and shot well over the bar.

But Paul Cox's men were shocked ten minutes later as Mingoia latched onto a loose ball and prodded home to restore parity against the run of play.

Dyer nearly restored Mansfield's lead just before the break after great work from Hutchinson but Arnold was equal to the forward's curling effort.

Hutchinson then fired just over the bar from the edge of the box on the stroke of half-time and despite Mansfield's superiority, the sides went in at the interval level.

And Mansfield almost went behind five minutes into the second half when Phil Walsh raced through one-on-one with Alan Marriott but the visiting goalkeeper did enough to put Walsh off, who fired over.

Hayes captain Hand and Geohaghon were booked in the aftermath as the pair argued over alleged play acting from the home team.

Mansfield struggled to ignite in the second half and Luke Williams came close for Hayes on 53 minutes, but his shot was well blocked by Martin Riley.

And two minutes later Mark Bentley missed another golden opportunity for Hayes when he headed wide from six yards, despite being unmarked.

This led Cox to change things and he brought on Matt Rhead to replace Hutchinson and reverted back to 4-4-2.

And despite their lacklustre start to the second half the change paid off on 67 minutes when Dyer sent the away fans into raptures.

United didn't fully clear O'Neill's corner and the 23-year-old hit a beautiful left-foot volley past Arnold and into the back of the net.

And three minutes later it was game over as Green finally beat the offside trap, rounded Arnold with ease and slotted the ball into a vacant net for his 29th goal of the season, in all competitions.

Hayes, rocked by the two quick-fire goals, brought on Julian Owusu and Freddie Warren with 15 minutes left as they looked to bring themselves back into the match.

But Mansfield remained on top and Geohaghon's long throw almost led to another for the Stags but substitute Rhead's header flew just past the far post.

And Gary Roberts almost made it four for Mansfield on 81 minutes when he latched on to Green's pass but Arnold denied the midfielder a deserved goal.

Visiting substitute Louis Briscoe looked like he might get in on the action but hit the post two minutes later as Hayes' heads began to drop late on.

Briscoe again came close in stoppage time but Arnold did well to deny the midfielder with his feet before Marriott denied Owusu a long-range consolation for Hayes to round off a good day for the Stags

Hayes v Stags match stats
Hayes & Yeading 1: Mingoia 37
Mansfield 3 : Howell 5, Dyer 67, Green 71.
Referee: Andy Davies
Attendance: 487
Star Man: Matt Green, Mansfield, Striker.
Hayes: (4-4-2) Arnold; Argent, Cadmore, Pele, Spence; Williams, Hand, Bentley (Collins 85), Mingoia (Owusu 74), Walsh, Wishart (Warren 74)
Unused Subs: Wickham, Beasant.
Mansfield: (4-3-3) Marriott; O'Neill, Riley, Geohaghon, Sutton, Howell, Roberts, Hutchison (Rhead 57) Dyer, Green, Meikle (Briscoe 64)
Unused Subs: Worthington, Richmond, Andrew

Hayes: 4
Stags: 9
On target
Hayes: 2
Stags: 5
Hayes: 5
Stags: 6
Hayes: 14
Stags: 18
Bookings: Hayes 1: Hand
Stags 3: O'Neill, Geohaghan, Rhead


United brushed aside by Mansfield Town
Hayes & Yeading 1 Mansfield Town 3
uxbridgegazette.co.uk, By Matt Lewis


HAYES & YEADING dodged the Blue Square Premier relegation bullet this afternoon despite slipping to defeat against Mansfield Town.

On-loan Watford starlet Piero Mingoia (pictured) cancelled out Anthony Howell's opener at Kingfield before second-half strikes from Ross Dyer and Matt Green secured victory for the Stags.

However, AFC Telford's failure to take anything from their trip to Ebbsfleet and Newport's draw at York means United live to fight another day in the non-league top-flight.

The hosts made an awful start to the match and found themselves a goal down inside the opening five minutes as Stags midfielder Anthony Howell slotted home the opener after Ben Hutchinson's pull-back.

And Hutchinson should have doubled the advantage moments later as the Mansfield forward found himself in acres of space on the edge of the penalty area but could only find the back of the stand with a poor effort.

But after a disappointing first 37 minutes United claimed an unlikely equaliser before the break when Phil Walsh towered above his marker to knock down for the onrushing Mingoia who stabbed home his first goal for the club from six-yards.

Mansfield almost retook the lead before half-time when the ball broke to Lindon Mikele on the corner of the 18-yard box but Steve Arnold saved brilliantly from the left winger to keep the scores level as the teams headed in at the interval.

The second-half started slowly with Bashir's side having the better of the possession but struggling to create chances for Walsh, Danny Wishart and Mingoia.

However, it was the Stags that took the lead shortly after the hour when United failed to clear their lines following a Luke O'Neill free-kick and the ball broke to Dyer who fired through a crowd of players into the top corner.

And United fell further behind just four minutes later as Mansfield grabbed a third when Green latched onto a long ball from the influential O'Neill and calmly rounded Arnold before sweeping home into the unguarded net.

Bashir threw on Freddie Warren, Julian Owusu and Tom Collins to add a bit more attacking flair as the clock ticked down at Kingfield but it was a Stags substitute who was next to go close, Louis Briscoe seeing his shot tipped round the post.

Some quick thinking from Owusu forced a decent save from Stags keeper Alan Marriott late on but it was a rare occurrence in a poor afternoon for United who remain in 21st position in the Blue Square Premier and still staring down the barrel of relegation.

Hayes & Yeading: Arnold, Argent, Cadmore, Pele, Spence, Williams, Hand, Bentley (Collins, 85), Mingoia (Owusu, 73), Walsh, Wishart (Warren, 73).

Subs (not used): Beasant, Wickham.

Attendance: 487



Latest | April 2012