{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from July 2011

13th July 2011 23:45

Rainworth 1-1 Stags
mansfieldtown.net, Sat 09 Jul 2011

Dutch trialist Patrick Samba rescued a draw for Mansfield Town after the Stags had fell behind to a James Forbes strike on 65 minutes.


Kick off was delayed by five minutes to allow a bumper crowd of 1005 to ultimately witness a hum-drum friendly encounter.

Stags began by fielding nine trialists in the starting 11, along with goalkeeper Neil Collett, who accepted a new contract prior to Paul Cox's arrival, as well as front man Danny Mitchley.

In the opening two minutes, it was Mitchley who chested the ball down on the edge of the area, only to see Patrick Samba fire wide from 20 yards.

Fellow trialist Yann Jouguel, of whom little is known, was denied by a goal line clearance two minutes later.Jamie Jackson laid it off to Lee Bennett on the edge of the area, and his pass found Jouguel in space inside the 18 yard box. With Rainworth goalkeeper Joe McCormack committed from his line, Joueguel fired goalwards only to be denied by Cameron Fearon on the line.

Stags' midfielder Lee Bennett then struck from 25 yards, but his low shot was easy for Rainworth custodian McCormack.

With 25 minutes played, Patrice Liburd was replaced by Connor Branson in the heart of the defence.

Six minutes later, Stags won a free kick on the right wing but Joe Lamplough's floater evaded everyone.

Rainworth almost gained the upper hand on 32 minutes when Stags' right back Jason Beardsley's casual pass 30 yards from his own goal allowed Danny Simpson a one-on-one with goalkeeper Neil Collett.But the ex-Coventry keeper stood large and stuck his left foot out to block Simpson's effort.

Yann Jouguel came close when he headed into the side netting from a Jamie Jackson corner.

The same player had another chance to get on the scoresheet after being put through by Danny Mitchley, but his shot was aimed straight at McCormack who saved with his legs.

Mansfield made a change at the break when Jamie Jackson was replaced at half-time by Jack Whickham.

It was Rainworth who began the second half in brighter fashion and they should have broken the deadlock in the first two minutes of the restart when a right wing cross was missed by two players six yards from goal.

Stags 'keeper Collett was called upon a minute later when Cameron Fearon's header was turned around the upright for a corner.

As the game approached the hour-mark, Patrick Samba let fly from 25 yards but his shot sailed well wide.

Mitchley then managed to get a shot away a minute later but it was bread and butter for McCormack.

Stags fell behind on 65 minutes when Ollie Wood crossed from the right for James Forbes to slot home from short range.

Rainworth almost had a second goal on 72 minutes when Kyle Gee-Pemberton tried his luck from inside the area but centre-half trialist Connor Branson threw himself in its path to make the block.

Stags then made a treble substitution when youth teamers Blake Vincent, Sean Lynk and Jobe Shaw came on for Josh Wilde, Milan Redei and Joe Lamplough.

Mansfield were soon level on 79 minutes when Blake Vincent struck ferociously on the half-volley from 18 yards out, which McCormack did well to stop with one hand. But he could do little about the follow up as Patrick Samba bundled it over the line.

Youth team goalkeeper Oliver Medley was given ten minutes to impress, replacing Neil Collett in between the sticks.

The Wrens' Kyle Gee-Pemberton saw his shot fly wide as the game headed towards its close.

STAGS XI: Neil Collett, Jason Beardsley, Josh Wilde, Lee Bennett, Patrice Liburd, Milan Redei, Yann Joueguel, Joe Lamplough, Pattrick Samba, Danny Mitchley, Jamie Jackson

USED SUBS:: Oliver Medley, Connor Branson, Sean Lynk, Blake Vincent, Jobe Shaw, Jack Whickham, Aaron Stirling



Samba saves Stags in first friendly at Rainworth

DUTCH striker Patrick Samba's strike 11 minutes from time made sure neighbours Rainworth MW didn't take Mansfield Town's scalp in the first pre-season friendly at Kirkington Road on Saturday afternoon.


The former Stafford Rangers man, one of nine trialists in the starting line-up, pounced when keeper Joe McCormack could only parry a Blake Vincent blast to give the big Stags contingent in the crowd something to cheer.

After a hard morning's training, the first team were given the afternoon off and the game used to have a look at the trialists plus some youth earn prospects.

The first half was a poor affair with Rainworth wasting two good chances and, after the break, it was the home side who created the majority of openings and went ahead on 66 minutes through James Forbes.

However, they couldn't hold onto it, though did have a couple of openings after Samba's leveller to snatch a win near the end of an afternoon they will feel very happy with.

Stags' last game having been at Wembley Stadium, their return to action could hardly have been more contrasting in the homely surroundings of Kirklington Road.

With, with a family fun day going on alongside the pitch in the warm summer sunshine, it was a perfect way to return to football on Saturdays after what seemed the shortest close season ever.

Stags began the game with nine trialists along with FA Trophy semi-final goalscoring hero Danny Mitchley, who had been told he could move on at the end of last season, and Neil Collett in goal, who has just signed a one-year deal to be the club's third choice keeper for the season.

However, a lively show from Mitchley caught the eye and he could yet force his way back into the plans of manager Paul Cox, who was at a wedding, leaving assistant Micky Moore in charge.

“The game gave us an opportunity to look over the trialists and take stock of that,” said Moore.

“I will digest what I have seen over the next 24 hours and then write up a report for the gaffer and he can make the decisions on Monday.

“It is too early to say if any of the trialists will get another chance but I thought Danny Mitchley did really well and he was the one who stood out for me.

The Wrens began with five of last season's first teamers and included ex-Stags striker Craig Mitchell.

Kick-off was delayed to allow the queues at the turnstile to get into the ground.

When we did get started, Stags almost scored inside five minutes as Samba whistled a half-volley wide from Mitchley's chest-down.

Then Joueguel saw his finish cleared off the line by Fearon from Jackson's flick while McCormack was safely behind Bennett's low bobbling shot.

On 32 minutes Rainworth had their best chance so far as Beardsley was almost caught in possession, recovered but then sent a short backpass towards Collett which Simpson matched onto but then saw the keeper stretch out a leg to intercept his finish.

Joueguel headed a far post Jackson corner into the sidenetting and minutes later Lamplough blazed a free kick well over.

Joueguel came close again on 39 minutes as Mitchley's low cross from the left found him in front of goal and he turned well and got the ball on target only to see McCormack block with his knees and the half end goalless.

Stags only made one change at the break with Whickham on for Jackson while the Wrens replaced five of their side.

In the first minute of the second half Beardsley was only just over with a free kick.

But a minute later, from a break down the right, Mitchell somehow failed to connect with a low cross right in front of goal with only Collett to beat.

Then, when Fearon seemed to get a slight touch onto a cross from the left, Collett did well to readjust to turn the looping ball over.

Samba wasn't far wide with a fierce 20 yard shot after McCormack did well to punch away a corner at full stretch.

McCormack was also down well to block a low Mitchley shot as the substitutions flowed on a regular basis.

But the home side were ahead on 66 as two of the subs combined.

Wood raced down the right and crossed for Forbes to bundle home on the volley from 15 yards.

Cooksey might have doubled that a minute later but lifted his finish over the near angle. Then Gee-Pemberton had another close range effort blocked.

However, Stags were level 11 minutes from time. Youngster Vincent got away a vicious on-target half-volley from the left of the box which McCormack did well to save. But he was never going to be able to hold it as well and Samba was on hand to turn the loose ball home from close range.

Gee-Pemberton might have snatched a winner but was wide of the far post from a great position, while Wood saw sub keeper Medley turned a speculative wood shot wide as it ended honours even.

RAINWORTH MW: McCormack, Paling, Goodacre, Fearon, Kennedy, Hanson, Cooksey, Ward, Simpson, Mitchell, Jones. Subs: West, Gee-Pemberton, Briggs, Wood, Fanfarillo, Forbes, McIntosh.

STAGS: Collett, Beardsley, Wilde, Bennett, Liburd, Redei, Joueguel, Lamplough, Samba, Mitchley, Jackson. Subs: Branson, Lynk, Vincent, Shaw, Whickham, Stirling, Medley.

REFEREE: Ian Dudley of Mansfield.



Young Stags held at Rainworth
Nottingham Post

MANSFIELD Town were held to a 1-1 draw by Rainworth MW in front of a bumper crowd of more than 1,000 at Kirklington Road.


In a match which saw both sides field several young players and triallists, the first half was goalless.

The best chance fell to Stags triallist Yann Jouguel. His effort from 18 yards beat Wrens keper Joe McCormack but was cleared off the line by Cameron Faeron.

But the Stags had their own escape when Jason Beardsley gave away possession to allow Danny Simpson a one-on-one with goalkeeper Neil Collett.

Fortunately for the Stags, Collett was up to the job, sticking out a foot to block Simpson's shot.

Rainworth started the second half brightly and should have broken the deadlock when a cross was fizzed across the six-yard box but two players were unable to get on the end of it.

Collett was then forced to turn away a header from Fearon.

But the home side made the breakthrough they had been threatening on 65 minutes when Ollie Wood crossed and James Forbes slotted home from close range.

But Dutch triallist Patrick Samba was on hand to plunder a 79th-minute equaliser for Paul Cox's side, slotting in the rebound after a brilliant parry from Wrens goalkeeper Neil West denied Blake Vincent.

Rainworth: McCormack, Paling, Goodacre, Fearon, Kennedy, Hanson, Cooksey, Ward, Simpson, Mitchell, Jones. Subs: West, Gee-Pemberton, Briggs, Wood, Fanfarillo, Forbes, McIntosh.

Stags: Collett, Beardsley, Wilde, Bennett, Liburd, Redie, Jouguel, Lamplough, Samba, Mitchley, Jackson. Subs: Medley, Branson, Lynk, Vincent, Shaw, Whickham, Stirling.

Cox will take his Mansfield side to Nuneaton Town tomorrow night for their second friendly.

After the first team were put through their paces in a training session on Saturday morning, they are expected to feature tomorrow



Latest | July 2011