{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2011

7th March 2011 11:28

FA Trophy Round 4
Chasetown 2 - 2 Mansfield Town
Turner 59, Grof og 89. Connor 35, Briscoe 74
Attendance: 2000 (800 from Mansfield)

Date: 1 March 2011

Martin Shaw at the Scholars Ground

A howler in the 89th minute by keeper David Grof gifted Evostik Premier side Chasetown a replay in this FA Trophy quarter-final, that was delayed from Saturday. The Stags dominated the first half and should have been out of sight at the break, but only had Paul Connor's cracking long range strike to show for it. Tom Naylor headed against the bar and other chances went begging. Chasetown equalised on 59 minutes with a fluke as Turner's cross from the byeline somehow went in off the post. Mansfield deservedly re-took the lead on 74 minutes with another cracking strike, this time from Louis Briscoe. But on 89 minutes, a corner into the Stags six-yard box was dropped into his own net by Grof. So the teams have to go back to Field Mill next Tuesday for the right to play Luton in the semi-final.

Man of the match: Adam Murray

Stagsnet player ratings in the Match Centre.


Chasetown 2 Mansfield Town 2, FA Trophy quarter final, Tuesday 1st March
CHAD.co.uk, by John Lomas

A LATE own goal by keeper David Grof left Mansfield Town facing an FA Trophy Quarter-Final replay at home next Tuesday.


Stags looked to have booked themselves a mouthwatering two-legged semi-final with Luton Town later this month after Louis Briscoe gave Stags the lead for the second time on 74 minutes.

But the plucky Evo-Stik Premier League side, two leagues below Mansfield, showed how they had already knocked-out Kettering and Grimsby, as they came back for a second time when on-loan keeper Grof spilled Jimmy Turner's 89th minute corner over the line.

Although they almost went behind in the opening seconds, Mansfield dominated the first half and should have had more than Paul Connor's 16th goals of the season to show for their efforts at the compact Scholars Ground amid a great atmosphere with 800 Stags fans in the sell-out crowd.

But a Chasetown fightback saw them level through Jimmy Turner's first goal for the club on the hour.

Then Briscoe seemed to have broken home hearts until the late leveller kept Chasetown's fairytale run alive in their 10th match of the tournament already this season.

Don't miss this week's Chad, on sale on Wednesday morning, for full report.


mansfieldtown.net report by Mark Stevenson

Mansfield Town and Chasetown will do battle next Tuesday after the Scholars twice came from behind to send the quarter-final tie to a Field Mill replay.


Stunning long range goals from Paul Connor and Louis Briscoe were not enough to earn victory for the Stags, meaning that Luton Town will have to wait another seven days to discover their semi-final opponents.

Mansfield again had more than enough chances to put the tie beyond doubt, but Chasetown had Ryan Price to thank who pulled off a string of saves to keep The Scholars in the Trophy.

Stags superior quality was there for all to see, but Chasetown's sheer grit and determination to fight for every ball is worthy of equal praise.

Mansfield should have sent the home side packing by the end of the first half, but the Scholars scored twice in a second period which saw them attack Stags' goal with greater purpose.

In an end to end encounter, Chasetown began straight from the kick off, when Richard Davies surged through the middle before unleashing a shot at goal, which was deflected wide for a corner.

Stags won their first corner in the eighth minute after a free kick from Adam Murray, but Ashley Cain's flag kick was poor.

But his delivery from a right wing free kick five minutes later was inch perfect. Cain's drifting cross found the head of Tom Naylor, whose bullet like effort crashed against the cross bar.

As the game began to open up after a cagey start, Stags' left back Paul Stonehouse shot from the left side of the area, but the hosts managed to turn the ball behind for a corner.

On 20 minutes, Chasetown goalkeeper Ryan Price failed to get enough distance on his clearance and Stags' skipper Adam Murray pounced midway inside the home half. After the midfielder advanced unchallenged into the area, his final shot was saved by Price, who redeemed himself by getting down low.

Chasetown had to withstand heavy pressure from Mansfield mid-way inside the first half and again they had Price to thank who denied Paul Connor's effort from point blank range after the Stags leading scorer had been assisted by Louis Moult on the left.

Chris Peel, the Chasetown left back, sent a swerving long range shot towards goal on 32 minutes, but it was a routine save in the end from Stags' David Grof.

It was Stags, however, who found the net first on 35 minutes from a likely hero.Leading scorer Paul Connor picked the ball 30 yards from goal, before advancing to send an unstoppable drive beyond Price to leave the net bulging.

It was no less than Stags deserved, and they could have doubled their lead four minutes later. Ashley Cain's right wing cross put the home defence in all sorts of trouble, but Louis Briscoe, the recipient of a scramble inside the box, had his shot forced behind for a corner when he should have scored.

After Stags won a second corner in succession, goalkeeper Price failed to collect the cross in midflight, but Mansfield failed to punish his wild attempt to catch and somehow the hosts managed to clear the danger.

Louis Moult was then brought down on the edge of the area as Stags ended the half in the ascendency - but Kevin Sandwith's subsequent curling shot came back off the wall.

Stags goalkeeper David Grof needed treatment just a minute into the second half, but was able to continue after Chasetown forward Danny Smith caught him late inside the area.

Mansfield expressed their intent to put the tie beyond doubt at the earliest opportunity with their first attack of the second half as the match turned 50 minutes old. Home goalkeeper Price had to turn away a rasping Louis Briscoe strike from the right as Stags were again denied.

As the game approached the hour mark, Mansfield were forced to defend for a short spell, and Grof had to react quickly to turn away a Richard Davies free kick to prevent the hosts from levelling the tie.

But the alarm bells were ignored and Chasetown were on terms with 59 minutes played. Jimmy Turner's right wing cross eluded everyone and clipped the inside of the far post before trickling into the net,

Soon after, Paul Stonehouse had to leave the field through a head injury, as Steve Foster took to the pitch. Kevin Sandwith was moved to left back as Foster partnered Naylor in the heart of the back four.

Stags lacked the penetration which was shown for much of the first half, but Chasetown, to their credit, stepped up a gear.

But Stags, through another wonderstrike, restored their lead on 74 minutes. Kevin Sandwith superbly cut out a Chasetown attack on halfway before laying it off to Louis Briscoe. And the powerful winger, renowned for his almighty strikes pulled out another cracker with a well-placed low shot which left Price with little chance.

At the other end, Dean Perrow tried to restore parity with what would have been an unbelievable solo goal, but his final shot was closer to the corner flag than the target after good work on the right.

Briscoe almost grabbed a brace, but his vicious strike was saved by Price through a crowded penalty area.

The final seven minutes saw the introduction of Kyle Nix and Adam Smith, while Chasetown striker Gary Burch made way for Gary Hay in the host's last throw of the dice.

The Scholars Ground then erupted as Chasetown scored a dramatic equaliser in the 90th minute. After Grof palmed away Dean Perrow's effort, he was unable to hold onto the resulting Richard Davies corner as it tumbled through him and into the net.

In the second minute of stoppage time, substitute Adam Smith was unable to get enough power on his shot from a corner and the shot was easily saved by Price as Stags' next step to Wembley was halted in the dying moments.


STAGS: Grof, Silk, Naylor, Sandwith, Stonehouse (Foster 62), Cain (Smith 82), Murray, Thompson (Nix 83), Briscoe, Moult, Connor
UNUSED SUBS: Marriott, Mitchley

CHASETOWN: Price, Turner, Peel, Slater, Davies, Teesdale, Smith, Parsons (Abbott 85), Birch (Hay 87), Perrow, Jevons
UNUSED SUBS: Stephens, Cohen, Branch


Sloppy goals come back to haunt Stags as they are held in FA Trophy
Evening Post report by Matt Halfpenny

IT was an experience all too familiar for the travelling Mansfield Town supporters in leaving the Scholars Ground disappointed.


On the one hand they experienced their team playing some enterprising attacking football and the delight of them scoring with two of the best strikes you will see.

Yet they also had to put up with the Stags' unerring habit of conceding soft, sloppy goals – the very reason they are not now looking forward to an FA Trophy semi-final against favourites Luton Town.

For long periods of the tie, Mansfield looked well in control against a Chasetown side who have won through six rounds to reach this stage.

Twice they went on front and it seemed only a matter of time before they would kill off their Evo-Stik Premier opponents.

But they never did – because each time questions were asked of their defence they were found wanting.

The most annoying thing for Duncan Russell and Paul Hall was that Chasetown did not even have to work hard for their goals.

Neither, in effect, was a direct shot and if the first was maybe a fluke, the second should have been dealt with by visiting keeper David Grof, who admitted his error after the game.

The other worry is that Mansfield's game are piling up, with the replay for this clash next Tuesday meaning the postponement of another league game.

No doubt the Stags will fancy their chances in the replay now they have seen what their opponents have to offer.

But at this rate, if they do reach the last four, they will have to fit in at least one match on a Sunday.

The Stags went in unchanged and nearly suffered a disaster from kick-off on a big wide pitch.

Having already conceded first minute goals against AFC Wimbledon and Newport this campaign it was nearly another against the Stags when Richard Davies was allowed to run to the edge of the box before seeing his shot deflected just wide of the left-hand upright.

At the other end, Louis Moult – whose loan was extended for another month on Monday – let fly only to see his effort well blocked.

Moult won a dangerous free-kick close to the right byline in the 14th minute and it almost produced the opener.

Ashley Cain put over an inviting centre from the dead ball and Tom Naylor met it with a firm smack of his head, only to see the ball rebound off the top of the bar.

A slick break led by Cain then saw Moult put into space on the right-hand side of the box, but he was superbly tackled by Chris Peel.

As the game ebbed and flowed from end to end, Dean Perrow got in the first shot on target but Grof held with a degree of comfort, diving to his left.

Almost immediately at the other end, Paul Stonehouse cut in from the left and saw a low right-foot drive deflected inches wide.

Gary Birch then scuffed a shot for Chasetown before Adam Murray should have given Mansfield a lead.

He took advantage of a hasty clearance by Price following a poor back pass to break clear through the middle, only to fire too close to the relieved keeper.

Another visiting chance went begging as Moult found space on the left and centred half and low for strike partner Connor, whose first time finish was kept out by Ryan Price's legs.

But the home side came battling back as former Walsall man Gary Birch out-muscled Gary Silk and fired across the six-yard box to where Stonehouse cleared.

Just past the half-hour mark, Peel tried his luck from fully 30 yards but though it was on target and swerving, Grof held on.

Mansfield did finally take the lead and it was one of the team's best goals of the season.

Tom Naylor won a header and Tyrone Thompson's flick fell nicely for Connor, who turned before crashing an unstoppable 30-yard drive into the top left-hand corner.

It was nearly 2-0 to the Stags after Cain's right-wing centre caused havoc in the Scholars' box and as they failed to clear, Louis Briscoe's shot on the turn deflected just over.

It seemed only a matter of time before the visitors would double their lead as Richard Teesdale cleared amid a frantic scramble.

Soon after the restart, hesitation between Stonehouse and Grof saw Danny Smith try and steal in, only to catch the Stags keeper, who needed treatment before continuing.

But Mansfield were quickly back in the ascendency with Briscoe's rising drive warming the fingertips of Price, who produced another fine stop.

Chasetown's spirits were raised when Cain gave the ball away in a bad area, which almost allowed Perrow a close-range sight of goal.

The Scholars then won a free-kick on the left-hand side of the that saw Davies curl goalwards and Grof push around the right-hand post.

From the resulting flag-kick, Teesdale climbed at the far post to head against the frame of the goal before Grof was fouled in the follow-up.

Chasetown's flurry eventually paid off on the hour, albeit in somewhat fortunate circumstances.

Jimmy Turner's cross from the right looped over everyone and dropped in off the left-hand post, with Teesdale sliding in to make sure.

The Stags then suffered another blow when Stonehouse was forced off with a head injury, meaning Kevin Sandwith moved to left-back and Steve Foster came on.

Mansfield countered well after excellent work from Briscoe and Moult but Connor was eventually crowded out.

However, the Stags were back in front in the 74th minute with another fantastic strike.

Sandwith made a crunching tackle on Ramone Stephens, allowing Briscoe to pick the ball up and advance before drilling it into the left-hand corner from the same kind of distance as Connor's goal.

Again, the Scholars did not give up and Sandwith had to find a last ditch tackle to block Dean Perrow's on target effort.

The Stags went in search of a game-killing third but Price was in the right place to this time thwart Briscoe from Moult's cutback.

In the closing stages, Chasetown threw everything at Mansfield and Perrow was denied by the reflexes of Grof.

But the keeper turned villain when he flapped at a corner from Davies and the ball slipped through his grasp and into goal.

It was bitter pill to swallow at the end, but at least in the FA Trophy, a draw means there is still the chance to put things right

Match facts: Chasetown v Mansfield Town

Chasetown: Price, Turner, Slater, Teesdale, Peel, D. Smith (Stephens 70), Davies, Parsons (Abbott 85), Jevons, Perrow, Birch (Hay 83). Subs not used: Cohen, Abbott, Branch.

Mansfield: Grof, Silk, Naylor, Sandwith, Stonehouse (Foster 65), Cain (A. Smith 83), Thompson (Nix 83), Murray, Briscoe, Connor, Moult. Sub not useds: Marriott, Mitchley.

Referee: Andrew Madley (West Yorkshire).

Attendance: 2,000 (800 visitors).

Chasetown 2: Turner (60), Grof (og 90).
Mansfield 2: Connor (35), Briscoe (74).

Shots on target: Chasetown 5 Mansfield 8.
Shots off target: Chasetown 4 Mansfield 6.
Fouls: Chasetown 12 Mansfield 14.
Corners: Chasetown 4 Mansfield 8.
Offsides: Chasetown 4 Mansfield 3.
Chasetown 1 (Jevons, 88, foul on Moult)
Mansfield 1 (Moult, 64, foul on Smith).
Sendings off:
Chasetown 0
Mansfield 0.

Mansfield's man of the match: Adam Murray. The skipper was at the heart of a number of the Stags' best moves and also showed his combative streak by getting his foot in when requir


Replay Required After 2-2 Thriller
by Dave Goddard, Chasetown official website

AN 89TH-minute equaliser for Chasetown secured a 2-2 draw and set up a replay at Mansfield Town after an epic FA Carlsberg Trophy quarter final on Tuesday.

A SENSATIONAL FA Carlsberg Trophy quarter final saw Chasetown level the scores with two minutes to go for a 2-2 draw with Mansfield Town, writes Dave Goddard.
Some of the finest football seen at the Scholars Ground all season gave the capacity 2000 crowd more than enough to shout about as both teams gave maximum attack throughout the 90 minutes. There was no quarter asked or given as the Stags produced a pair of long-range thunderbolts for their goals but a first Scholars goal for Jimmy Turner and a late mistake by visiting keeper David Grof levelled things up to set up a replay.
The hosts were on the attack right from the kick-off with a drive down the right sliced across the face of goal by Richard Davies while Louis Moult saw his first attack for Mansfield blocked by Chris Slater.
Both sides had made very positive starts and soon settled into a rhythm, both sets of fans in full voice spurring their sides on. An Ashley Cain free kick for the visitors was headed onto the crossbar by Tom Naylor in the 14th minute and bounced over for a goal kick as the Blue Square Bet Premier side turned up the wick but the Scholars were fighting in trademark style commanded by skipper Richard Teesdale. Slater again blocked Mansfield's next attack and the follow-up shot from Gary Silk was gathered by Ryan Price.
Chasetown continued to force paths through the Stags defence, Dean Perrow's low shot gathered by Grof in the 17th minute before Slater impressed yet again to end a superb solo run down the left by Cain. Moult and leading scorer Paul Connor were next to pepper Chase's goalmouth but found only the side netting as Price and the Scholars defence kept things tight at the back.
Welcome returnee Gary Birch beat two defenders down the left on 24 minutes but no-one was close enough to tap his cross home, while on the half hour Chris Peel's looping shot forced Grof into a fine save as the Scholars continued to battle gamely in a hugely entertaining game.
Despite their efforts Mansfield took the lead in fine style on 35 minutes when Connor popped up in the middle and unleashed a screaming 25-yard shot that left Price with no chance for his 16th goal of the season.
The Stags could have made it two four minutes later following a defensive scramble but Louis Briscoe's shot went over the bar and a succession of corners followed, the goal having knocked some wind out of the Chasetown sails.
A dangerous-looking Mansfield free kick was blasted into the wall from the edge of the area to end an action-packed first half with the visitors just shading the spoils so far.
Half time: Chasetown 0 Mansfield Town 1.
Grof saw action right from the second half kick-off, diving low to counter Danny Smith's attack while Price produced an even more spectacular save to deny Briscoe from a cross-cum-shot moments later. Chasetown got closer and closer to an equaliser thereafter, Teesdale hitting the crossbar following a Davies corner after the latter had seen his free kick gathered by Grof in the 58th minute.
One minute later the equaliser finally came as Turner swung in a superbly-placed cross looking for Teesdale but the skipper's finishing touch was not required as Turner's maiden Scholars goal clipped the post on its way into the net to a huge roar from the capacity crowd.
The Scholars continued to battle hard to try and find a way through but in the 74th minute Mansfield restored their advantage when Briscoe found space and lashed a shot past Price from 20 yards.
Briscoe could have netted his second with ten minutes to go but this time Price was equal to his shot, but Chasetown were not finished yet and Peel's shot through a ruck of players shaved the outside of the post in the 86th minute.
The Scholars threw everything they had behind the ball in the closing stages and in the 89th minute snatched a sensational equaliser when a Davies corner swung into the net with a helping hand from Grof to delirious scenes.
Perrow burst through in stoppage time but Grof cleared with his knee and the Scholars had earned a replay at Field Mill for the chance to defeat a third Blue Square Bet Premier side this season.
Firstly though the side will turn their attention to this Saturday's Evo-Stik Premier at Ossett Town (3pm kick-off).

Chasetown: Price, Turner, Peel, Slater, Davies, Teesdale (c), D Smith, Parsons, Birch, Perrow, Jevons. Subs: Hay (Birch 82), Stephens (D Smith 70), Cohen, Abbott (Parsons 85), M Branch.
Mansfield: Grof, Silk, Naylor, Sandwith, Stonehouse, Cain, Thompson, Murray (c), Briscoe, Connor, Moult. Subs: Marriott, Foster (Stonehouse 62), Mitchley, Nix (Thompson 82), A Smith (Cain 82).

Goals: Connor 35, Turner 59, Briscoe 74, Grof OG 89.

Referee: Mr A Madley.

Attendance: 2000


All square at Church Street
Tuesday, 01 March, 2011
Chasetown and Mansfield Town draw in Fourth Round.
Chasetown 2-2 Mansfield Town
The FA Carlsberg Trophy, Fourth Round Proper
7.45pm, Tuesday 1 March 2011
Winning clubs will receive £8,000 from The FA prize fund

A last-gasp equaliser from Chasetown against Mansfield Town means the two will have to meet again next week in the replay of their FA Carlsberg Trophy Fourth Round tie after a 2-2 draw at Church Street on Tuesday.


Luton Town await the winners for their two-legged Semi-Final on 12 and 19 March, with a place at Wembley up for grabs, and it looked like it would be Mansfield until the 90th minute as the Scholars Ground erupted when their side pulled level for a second time.

Goals from Paul Connor and Louis Briscoe had twice given the Conference Premier side the lead, but it was not enough to give the Stags victory. The home side earned another crack next Tuesday at Field Mill with goals from Jimmy Turner and Richard Davies.

Mansfield took the lead on 35 minutes through leading scorer Connor, who picked the ball 30 yards from goal before firing an unstoppable drive into the net.

Chasetown's first equaliser came on the hour mark when Turner's right wing cross eluded everyone before clipping the inside of the far post and finding its way in.

But 14 minutes later the visitors restored their advantage when Kevin Sandwith superbly cut out a Chasetown attack on halfway before laying it off to Briscoe to do the rest.

It looked to be enough for the win, but in the final seconds Richard Davies' corner eluded Stags keeper David Grof and dropped over the line to keep the Northern Premier League Premier Division club in The FA Trophy.

Price, Turner, Peel, Slater, Davies, Teesdale, Smith, Parsons (Abbott 85), Birch (Hay 87), Perrow, Jevons

Mansfield Town
Grof, Silk, Naylor, Sandwith, Stonehouse (Foster 62), Cain (Smith 82), Murray, Thompson (Nix 83), Briscoe, Moult, Connor



Latest | March 2011