{ the news }
 
Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Archived News from May 2008

TAKEOVER LATEST, PLUS BOSS AND PLAYERS IN LIMBO
19th May 2008 15:44


Batchelor is 'hopeful' of Stags deal
Evening Post, 14 May 2008
John Batchelor claims he could seal a buy-out of Mansfield Town today.

Full story at Evening Post website here

The controversial former York City chairman is keen to buy the club on the same basis owner Keith Haslam agreed with the James Derry consortium.

That would see Batchelor acquire the club for just £1 while Haslam would retain Field Mill and charge the club to use it.

"We have met on a number of occasions and I'm definitely getting there," said Batchelor.

"We have a meeting today and I'm hopeful, but by no means certain, we'll be able to make an announcement."

A deal would put an end to Paul Holland's bid to become manager as Batchelor wants to bring in his own team.

----------------

Could Stags takeover FINALLY happen this week?
CHAD.co.uk, 13May2008
SPECULATION is growing that the protracted takeover of Mansfield Town FC could finally be completed this week.
Rumours that a deal could be struck in the next few days comes amid reports that Stags owner Keith Haslam had been spotted 'in talks' with controversial would-be buyer John Batchelor in a Sheffield pub on Tuesday.

Full story at CHAD website here

News of the reported sighting comes after chief executive Stephen Booth - brought into broker a deal to sell the club for Mr Haslam - revealed on Thursday that the club could be sold within days.

Chad exclusively revealed last week that Mr Haslam appeared to have five possible sale choices - Mr Batchelor who claims he is the front runner, Glapwell chairman and local man Colin Hancock, an Australian consortium, a Mansfield-based group and a possible interest from two or three local businessmen in a deal which would see the controversial owner retain 30 per cent of the club.

Mr Batchelor refused to comment on the reports he had met Mr Haslam when contacted by Chad on Tuesday afternoon.

-------------

Boss and players remain in limbo
Takeover announcement expected soon
CHAD.co.uk, 12May2008
MANAGER Paul Holland and his players remained in limbo today as the club takeover saga drags on.
Holland wants to know his own future and also announce his retained list as he tries to prepare the relegated club for a crucial season ahead in the Blue Square Premier League.

But, with proposed bidders supposedly close to sorting out a deal to take over the club, he has been told he must wait.

"I have been told that it is likely something may happen this week regarding the takeover," Holland told Chad.

Meanwhile Mansfield Mayor and Stags chairman Tony Egginton said this morning that an announcement on the takeover saga was expected today.

Full story at CHAD website here

Holland continued:
"I presented them with my budget for next season last week which I think they were fairly pleased with. But they said they had to keep their options open until after the weekend with the proposed takeover in the early part of the week.

"I can appreciate why they are having to wait but things need sorting out really quickly now. Other teams are already sorting out their players for next season and we still haven't sorted out our players from last season.

"Players want to know what is happening. But I can't tell them. If someone takes over then budgets may change and the retained list could change.

"Obviously players whose contracts are about to expire are entitled to speak to people and I have just asked them to keep me informed. There is nothing more I can do. We just have to be honest with each other.

"I know Lee Bell would love to stay here for instance. But he has told me he has already had interest from two or three other clubs he has told me of. It is not an ideal situation but it's the only way right now."

Holland added: "I have spoken to six of seven players who are very interested in coming here. They are all experienced Football League players and have all played four or five hundred games. I think that's the way for us to go. All I can tell them is I will get back to them when I know something."

Holland has budgeted for a reserve team next season which he maintains is very important and the league have confirmed they are holding a place for the Stags until the club can confirm they want to compete.

Mansfield Mayor and Stags chairman Tony Egginton said this morning that an announcement on the takeover saga was expected today.

-----------

 

Latest | May 2008