BOOTH HOPES FOR TAKEOVER BY SPRING
Stags takeover by the spring
CHAD.co.uk, 23Jan2008, by Tim Morriss
THE sale of Mansfield Town FC is moving nearer - and the club will have a new owner in the spring.
That is the hope of chief executive Stephen Booth, who continues to remain tight-lipped over takeover talk at Field Mill.
Chad understands that there has been some movement among at least two of the interested parties in the Stags.
And Chad recently revealed that Australian businessmen - rebuffed in their bid to buy the club last summer -- were renewing their interest with a group of local businessmen.
There is a second local party involved in talks, while interest has been shown from a third organisation - with rumours persisting of a fourth group from outside the area also being involved in negotiations.
Mr Booth said when he was appointed in December that he expected to be at the club no longer than six months as he stablised the day-to-day running and found a buyer.
All he would say this week was: "A sale is nearer than it was when I came. I hope it is in the next three to four months.
"Nothing has changed, everything is for sale at the right price - the franchise that is Mansfield Town Football Club, Field Mill and the land surrounding the ground."
Mr Booth admits that there is more than one interest in buying the club and chairman James Derry has remained at Field Mill in the hope that he can put together a winning bid.
Two month's ago his consortium's £3m plus offer was turned down by owner Keith Haslam, who then stepped down as chief executive and appointed business troubleshooter Mr Booth.
Talking to 103.2's Tony Delahunty on Sport On Friday, Mr Booth said: "James Derry's statement (made after the Brighton game when he said he didn't expect a sale of the club to go through this season) was wrong to make.
"He accepts that now and that there is a need for confidentiality agreements.
"Everything is subject to total confidentiality . . . I will not have these discussions conducted through the media.
"When this happened last time, the fans felt worse when their hopes were dashed than they had done before the negotiations began.
"That's why no negotiations will be made public until I am satisfied an agreement between the two parties can be fulfilled."
Stags asked fans to fund transfers
CHAD.co.uk, 23Jan2008, by Tim Morriss
STAGS chief executive Stephen Booth has revealed that he asked a supporters club to donate money for transfers – just a few hours after the club was handed the lucrative FA Cup tie with Premiership Middlesbrough.
But he has explained that his request for help came at a meeting arranged before the unexpected cup win at Brighton and favourable Fourth Round draw.
The fans, the Stags Supporters Association (SSA), declined the request just 48 hours after the win over the First Division club on 5th January.
The Stags' cup run is expected to have handed the club a £450,000 bonus – and should wipe out most, if not all, of the £500,000 losses predicted earlier in the season.
Mr Booth, brought in to Field Mill in December to stabilise the day-to-day running of the club and find a buyer,told Chad: "The meeting with the SSA on the Monday, 7th January, had been organised the previous week.
"We are most appreciative of what the SSA is doing in selling the England Wembley international prize draw tickets to raise money for the transfer fund – and for what they have already done with regard to the training facilities.
"When I asked if they were willing to help over any transfers this month, they felt unable to make any committments.
"We are not going out begging for money, the result at Brighton and subsequent draw has made life so much easier financially at the moment.
"But if people come along and are prepared to donate money for transfers, of course we are not going to turn them away."
The SSA said it could not justify extra expense after paying for the training facilities this season - and with the club gaining extra, unbudgeted for, money from the Cup.
Latest | January 2008