{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2002

18th August 2002 7:37

Wycombe Wanderers 3 Mansfield Town 3
Devine 6, Faulconbridge 45, McCarthy 90. Corden 6, 85, Christie 74.
Attendance: 5,057

Mansfield Town twice took the lead against Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Parks but came away with a single point after a late equaliser.
Stags share six-goal thriller

Three games into the new season and Stags were involved in their third goal feast this afternoon, drawing 3-3 at Wycombe Wanderers.

Three games into the new season and Stags were involved in their third goal feast this afternoon, drawing 3-3 at Wycombe Wanderers.

And only a last ditch equaliser by Paul McCarthy robbed them of victory after an amazing 30-yard screamer from Wayne Corden had put Stags ahead four minutes from time.

Following a 4-3 win over Plymouth and a 3-2 defeat to Wigan, Stags thoroughly deserved their point at Adams Park in this latest thriller after a great second half fightback.

Despite the blistering sun and heat, both sides gave their all in a see-saw contest.

Stags grabbed the lead with a well-worked free kick routine on five minutes.

Liam Lawrence rolled the ball to Wayne Corden to his left and the winger found the net from 25 yards with a curling finish that went in off the bar.

But Mansfield were caught cold straight from the kick off as Sean Devine burst through within 30 seconds to go clear and comprehensively beat Kevin Pilkington.

Stags then had to weather a lengthy spell of Wycombe pressure with Wanders racking up nine first half corners and numerous free kicks, all taken by the dangerous Darren Currie.

Pilkington made good saves to deny Steve Brown, Devine and Chris Vinnicombe.

Mansfield steadied the ship later in the half and Lawrence forced Martin Taylor to save low to his left while Corden dragged a shot across the face of goal.

Lawrence also sent a 20-yard free kick at Taylor.

But the half had a sting in its tail for Stags as in the dying seconds of the two minutes added time they conceded a free kick wide on the left which Currie sent to the far post and big Craig Faulconbridge found the top right corner with a powerful header.

That was a real kick in the teeth but Mansfield re-emerged a different side after the break and pinned a surprised Wycombe back in their own half.

The deserved equaliser eventually came on 74 minutes when substitute Iyseden Christie turned home Corden's cross at the near post.

Pilkington was in commanding form at the other end and twice denied Devine inside 30 seconds.

Then just as the game looked set to finish 2-2, Corden was given space 30 yards out and let fly with a rocket that bulged the top right hand corner of the net.

But, as in the first half, there was another late sting and in stoppage time Richard Harris, on loan at Field Mill last season, hurled a long throw into the box and McCarthy stole in to head home and break Mansfield hearts.
Wanderers were without Stuart Roberts for this game against new boys Mansfield Town, the winger had picked up a knock on his ankle on Tuesday evening.
However, the Blues were boosted by the return of summer signing, striker Craig Faulconbridge, having missed his height against Northampton in midweek.
Wycombe didn't have to wait long for their first opportunity.
After some confusion in the penalty area and several attempts to penetrate the Mansfield defence, Steve Brown's final shot was saved low and well to Pilkington's right.
But it was Mansfield who took the lead after just 5 minutes, a 20-yard shot from Wayne Corden dipping over Taylor and under the crossbar.
Just seconds later, straight from the kick-off, Sean Devine grabbed an equaliser after a long ball through the centre provided the striker with a fantastic shot that arrowed into the Mansfield net.
Yet another opportunity presented itself in quick succession for Wycombe as Darren Currie's cross was met by Faulconbridge.
He returned the ball to Steve Brown only to see the midfielder's effort saved by Pilkington.
This before Michael Simpson's well taken shot from just outside the 18-yard box was deflected over the bar by the Mansfield defence.
The Stags' Liam Lawrence saw the inside of referee Prosser's book on 14 minutes for a foul on Currie, the official then moved the ball ten yards to just outside the 18-yard box.
A well worked free-kick from the foul saw Sean Devine's high-pitched lob come straight down, close to Pilkington, who turned over the bar.
And on 19 minutes, defender Chris Vinnicombe took a speculative shot from just inside the half and the attempt drew an excellent save from Pilkington.
Then on 23 minutes an accurate free-kick from the left from Currie was deflected by the Mansfield defence for a corner.
With Wycombe dominating the possession, David Jervis saw yellow for a cynical foul, again on Devine, but Wanderers were unable to convert from Currie's resulting free-kick on the right from 25-yards.
A good effort from Mansfield's Lawrence though on 31 almost created a lead for the Nottinghamshire side but, fortunately for Wycombe, Taylor looked comfortable in claiming.
And Mansfield looked dangerous again on 36 as Corden struck well but too far out to trouble Taylor, who saved reasonably easily.
Wanderers weren't without their share of the official's whistle as Steve Brown fouled from 20 yards out but Lawrence's effort went straight at Taylor.
At the other end, Dannie Bulman then had a shot deflected but from the resulting corner the ball evaded all before referee Prosser blew for an off-side.
Devine could have put Wanderers ahead on 41 minutes as he steamed in on a through ball only to shoot into the side netting.
But Currie's foul on the left saw him enter the referee's somewhat busy book on 45 before the fourth official indicated two minutes of play remaining before the half-time break.
Just as the teams looked to be going into the dressing rooms level at half-time though, a Currie cross found the head of Blues big man up front, Faulconbridge, who headed over Pilkington and into the Mansfield net.
The Stags opened the second half well as 6' 4” Andy White drew an excellent save from Taylor low to his right.
But another speculative shot on the turn from Devine could have caused problems for Pilkington had it not been rising to eventually carry over the crossbar.
And Wycombe were saved from a Mansfield equaliser on 58 when a ball over from the right evaded all in the Stags' goalmouth.
Blues could have extended their lead on the hour as a wonderful run and through ball from Simpson to Faulconbridge saw the striker play a superb ball across to Devine who failed to convert the opportunity into a goal.
On 62 minutes Manager Sanchez took the decision to replace Steve Brown with youngster Lewis Cook and just moments later another foul on Devine saw a Currie free-kick arrow straight at the Mansfield keeper.
And the substitution nearly saw dividends on 65 as some good play from Cook provided a shot for Bulman that gave Pilkington some trouble but failed to enter the net.
Then on 67 a wonderful cross from Currie from the right provided Devine with a header that he sent in beautifully towards the top of Pilkington's net but the keeper just managed to turn the shot over the bar.
Pilkington was again called to turn over his bar as another shot came in from Wycombe but the resulting corner came to nothing.
Mansfield chose to replace Andy White with Iyseden Christie and Neil MacKenzie with Scott Sellars on 70 and 74 respectively in the hope that an equaliser would soon be forthcoming.
And it proved to be as Mansfield grabbed their equaliser just seconds later - in a goalmouth scramble, Christie managed to direct the ball past Taylor and into the Wycombe net.
Some great play again from Lewis Cook on the left enabled him to pass the ball across goal towards Faulconbridge for an attempt at regaining the lead but the striker's right foot shot went straight at Pilkington.
Pilkington was called on to produce another great save on 78 when, after some excellent work between Cook and Currie, Dannie Bulman's well struck shot almost squirmed under the keeper for a 3-2 lead.
Ten minutes from time Sanchez then took off the scorer of the first goal, Sean Devine, and replaced him with long throw specialist Richard Harris, who was returning after a period out through injury.
Just three minutes later it was Michael Simpson who fell foul of the referee's whistle following an enthusiastic two-footed foul but aside from this incident you could not find fault with the midfielder's work-rate during the game.
But on 86 minutes, it was Mansfield who created the chance and took the lead from a left-footed shot from 25 yards that left the boot of Wayne Corden and sailed past Martin Taylor.
Another substitution for Mansfield saw Colin Larkin replaced by Danny Bacon just three minutes from time but the game the match did not finish there.
Dead on 90, Wanderers looked to have salvaged a point as a Paul McCarthy header from a Richard Harris throw provided the Wycombe contingent with the sigh of relief that they hoped for.
And that was how the match finished - level scores in a cracking game that was by no means easy in the scorching heat at Adams Park.
Paul McCarthy headed a last-minute equaliser as Wycombe Wanderers sealed a draw against Mansfield Town at Adams Park.
McCarthy stooped to get his head on the end of a Richard Harris throw-in just when Lawrie Sanchez's side had looked down and out.
The points looked as though they were heading back to Field Mill when Wayne Corden fired a spectacular 25-yard strike with just five minutes left.
Mansfield opened the scoring after just five minutes when Corden side-footed in a free-kick via the underside of the crossbar.
But Wanderers levelled straight from the kick-off. Sean Devine found himself in acres of space and buried his shot past the Stags goalkeeper.
Wanderers then went in front on 45 minutes when Craig Faulconbridge rose highest to meet Darren Currie's cross.
Mansfield made it 2-2 after a fine strike from Iyseden Christie on 75 minutes before the late flurry of action meant both managers had to be content with a point.

In the glorious sunshine at Adams Park a glut of goals and some stylish
football kept the crowd interested.

But when it looked as if the home side had done enough to win, back came
Mansfield to level and then go in front with a spectaular 25-yard effort
from Wayne Corden.

Determined not to fail, Wanderers super-sub Richard Harris launched a
prodigious throw for Paul McCarthy to head the last-minute equaliser.

Manager Lawrie Sanchez was very philosophical following the third draw of
the new season and said:

"Although I'm very disappointed to have drawn yet again there were many
positives to be taken from the game and I still feel we shall do very well
this season"

Wycombe's new signing Craig Faulconbridge delighted the crowd with his first
home goal of the season and has now scored two in two outings. His
partnership with club's leading scorer Sean Devine looks full of promise and
full of goals.

Last season's promotion candidates Mansfield Town looked a very useful team
with a young side that passed the ball well and are eager for goals. In
their three games they have now scored nine and conceded nine which suggests
that they will be in for a very entertaining season.

The new desso-surface at Adams Park looks very fast and has even bounce.
Many teams will come to Wycombe this season and look forward to playing on
such a high quallty surface. Maybe the home side need to get used to it more
than anyone else at this moment in time.
Match Statistics (Wanderers/Stags)
15 Goal Attempts 13
11 On target 7
4 Off target 6
0 Woodwork 0
12 Corners 2
11 Fouls 12
0 Offside 0


Latest | August 2002