{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2002

14th August 2002 6:59

Newly-promoted Mansfield had veteran midfielder Scott Sellars sent off and manager Stuart Watkiss ordered from the dug-out for disputing a referee's decision in the defeat at Wigan.
But the 10-man Stags battled back from a two-goal deficit to level it with Colin Larkin scoring twice to cancel out Nathan Ellington's first-half double.
Skipper Jason De Vos then headed in Wigan's 64th-minute winner.
Former Leeds and Newcastle man Sellars saw red after 26 minutes when referee Paul Robinson ruled that he attempted to aim a kick at Wigan's Jason Jarrett.
From the free-kick Ellington hit the opener before making it two with a header on 31 minutes.
Larkin pulled one back in stoppage time with a glancing header and grabbed the equaliser after 53 minutes.
Ellington, Wigan's record £1.2m buy, missed two great chances to claim a hat-trick and Mansfield keeper Kevin Pilkington prevented further damage with a series of quality saves.
A pulsating game at the JJB Stadium saw Wigan record their second successive victory at the expense of a Mansfield outfit that will head back home feeling distinctly hard done by.
The Stags saw veteran midfielder Scott Sellers shown the red card by referee Paul Robinson after just 22 minutes following a harmless looking skurmish with Jason Jarrett.
And from the resulting free kick, salt was rubbed into the wound as Wigan's record signing Nathan Ellington blasted home from close range.
When Ellington added a second on the half-hour it seemed like ten man Mansfield were in for a good hiding, but an Andy Larkin header in first half injury time was just reward for their never say die spirit.
And when Larkin equalised after 53 minutes it seemed like a major shock was on the cards.
But Wigan rallied and found their feet and it came as no surprise when they regained the lead with a Jason De Vos header from Scott Green's corner after 64 minutes.
From them on they seldom looked in danger and might have added to their tally, but Ellington, Liddle and Jarrett were all denied by the inspired Pilkington in the Mansfield goal.
Wigan 3 Stags 2
Defiant ten men Mansfield were beaten 3-2 at multi-millionaires Wigan, despite coming back from two goals down.
Scott Sellars was dismissed on 25 minutes following a fracas involving several players and Mansfield boss Stuart Watkiss was then ordered into the stand for protesting.
Wigan's £1.2m striker Nathan Ellington then struck twice in five minutes on 26 minutes and 31 minutes.
But gutsy Mansfield pulled one back in first half stoppage time and sent the travelling fans wild with a fifty fourth minute equaliser.
But the fairy tale was not to be as Wigan skipper Jason de Vos powerfully headed a sixty fourth minute winner.
Full report to follow.
Match Statistics
21 Goal Attempts 5
10 On target 4
11 Off target 1
0 Woodwork 0
9 Corners 1
13 Fouls 11
1 Offside 1
Report from official Wigan site (http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk)
Latics have now grabbed six points out of six, but they didn't half make hard work of it! After taking a two goal lead, Jewell was left fuming as his defence shot themselves in the foot twice to allow the Stags to draw level, and it took a Jason De Vos goal to save Latics.
However, the final 3-2 scoreline is probably a little flattering to the newly promoted side, as Latics had no less than 22 chances! To be honest, had the score would have given a better reflection of the match had it been four or five goals to the home side.
The game erupted early in the second half as ex-Bolton and Huddersfield veteran Scott Sellars was sent off for foul play, along with Mansfield manager Stuart Watkiss who was sent off from the dugout after arguing against the referee's decisions.
Peter Kennedy's free kick, the 'Duke' was quick to react as Mansfield desperately tried to clear the ball from their box, before the £1.2million striker struck from close range to send Latics into the lead.
Four minutes later, Ellington was at it again was a superb effort. Green's cross was perfect as the Duke rose like a salmon to head the ball over Kevin Pilkington, leaving the former Manchester United 'keeper with no chance at all. At two goals up, Latics were cruising.
Just before the half-time whistle, Latics took their foot off the pedal, and conceded a sloppy goal when Mansfield's new signing Colin Larkin headed in the ball at the far post.
A disaster seemed to be brewing as Larkin grabbed a second goal for an equaliser! He easily slotted the ball past the helpless Filan. But in the 64th minute came Latics' saviour. Scott Green's corner was perfectly placed for Canadian international Jason De Vos to head home from six yards, and secure the points for the home team.
Latics missed a bagful of chances thereafter, but all in all it was a deserved victory that leaves Latics in third place. Bring on the Bristol City!

Jewell Happy with Victory
Despite the fact Latics had allowed newly promoted Mansfield Town to claw their way back to 2-2 after going two goals behind, and having Scott Sellars sent off, Jewell was happy, although admitted there was still a lesson to be learned if we were to be challenging for promotion come the end of the season.
"In the second half we created many chances, and for all but the fifteen minutes it was a decent performance. Credit to Mansfield as they didn't let their heads drop, even when down to ten men."
"However, we thought when they went a man down we could just pass it without doing any graft and we got caught out a couple of times. Credit to our players though, they created many opportunities in the second half."
"We were crisp in our passing early on, but we got sloppy and it just shows you it's a lesson that we've got to learn from."


Latest | August 2002