{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from February 2007

15th February 2007 21:48

Storer injury not as bad as feared
CHAD website, 15 Feb 2007
Mansfield Town are delighted that the injury to Stags youngster Joe Storer is not as bad as first feared.
The 16-year-old defender landed awkwardly after 70 minutes of the reserve friendly at Rotherham United on Tuesday and the game was abandoned with Storer stretchered off to hospital wearing a neck brace.

However, manager Bill Dearden said today: "It looked like a bad neck injury at first and we were very worried.

"But he is back at college today and could be back playing as soon as the weekend, though a couple of weeks time is more likely.

"He has strained fibres in his neck and it is being treated like whiplash."
CHAD website, 14 Feb 2007
Reserve friendly at Rotherham United's training ground.

Sadly the clubs decided to abandon the game on 70 minutes after a nasty injury to 16-year-old Stags defender Joe Storer.

"The lad went up for a header and just landed badly," said Dearden.

"He was doing well at the time too.

"Hopefully it's not too bad. But you don't take any risks with neck injuries and the paramedics were there quickly and then the ambulance - magnificent really. They put a brace on him and took him off to hospital."

A young Stags were losing 1-0 at the time and Dearden said: "We wanted a friendly to give a game to players who had not played for a while.

"But it backfired on us a bit with the young lad's injury and also Callum Lloyd coming off at half time with a recurrence of his thigh strain.

"But they had a strong side out and it was a good work out.

Rotherham Reserves 1 Stags Reserves 0
13 Feb 2007
Stagsnet report by John Street

Stags Reserves took the short trip up the motorway to take on the Millers this afternoon.

On a surprisingly good surface considering the recent rainfall Stags played well and were unlucky to be behind when the game was cancelled in the second half following an injuring to the Stags centre half Storer.

The centre half went up for a challenge and upon falling lay still on the ground for a long period despite attention.

The referee correctly called the game to its conclusion.

Stags started the game brightly with Conlon and Reet up front and when Lloyd rattled the bar within the first ten minutes

Stags looked like going on to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Stags continued taking the game to the Millers and further chances fell to Arnold, Reet and Conlon but to no end result.

Following the break Lloyd went off injured, Conlon was rested and the Millers took the lead after a good move.

Then the unfortunate incident above occurred and the game was halted.

Muggleton, Woods, Storer, Kitchen, Charlton, Boulding R, Sleath, Lloyd, Arnold, Conlon, Reet.


Latest | February 2007