{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2006

10th September 2006 20:50

Former Stag Matthew Gadsby tragically died this afternoon after collapsing on the pitch during Hinckley Town's game with Harrogate Town.

He was only 27.

All at SSA send our condolences to his family and friends.
Hinckley Utd defender Gadbsy dies
Hinckley United's Matt Gadsby died after collapsing on the pitch during a Conference North game on Saturday.
The 27-year-old defender fell to the ground with no-one near him during the first half of their game at Harrogate.

A statement from Hinckley chairman Kevin Downes said: "This is an absolute tragedy and our thoughts are with Matthew's family and friends."

Gadsby joined Hinckley on a free in the summer from Forest Green having started his career at Walsall as a trainee.

He also played for Mansfield Town and Kidderminster Harriers.

Downes continued: "Incidents like this put everything into perspective and no-one can quite come to terms with what has happened.

"The medics were on the pitch within seconds and their treatment was first-class and they did everything they could along with the staff at the hospital which was next door to the ground.

"Matthew had made a big impact on the football club during his time at the Marston's Stadium and he will be sadly missed by everyone."

Gadsby joined Hinckley on a one-year contract this summer and leaves behind a young daughter and wife Sarah.

Hinckley's match away to Moor Green on Tuesday night has been postponed as a mark of respect.
CHAD website:
Former Stags star collapses and dies on pitch
FORMER Mansfield Town defender Matt Gadsby has died after collapsing on the pitch while playing for Hinckley United at Harrogate Town in a Conference North clash on Saturday.
The 27-year-old started 15 Stags games and came on as substitute in a further seven in the 2002/03 season.
No other player was near him when he collapsed during Saturday's first half and he was rushed to hospital next door to the ground where he was pronounced dead.
Medics had raced onto the field within seconds of him going down and it is believed he had swallowed his tongue.
The game was abandoned and the club have also postponed their trip to Moor Green on Tuesday night as a mark of respect.
Gadsby started out as a trainee at Walsall where he first caught the eye of Stags boss Stuart Watkiss.
He went on to play for Watkiss at Kidderminster Harriers and also had a spell with Forest Green before signing for Hinckley on a free this summer.
He leaves a wife, Sarah, and a young daughter.


Latest | September 2006