{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 13/14 Stagsnet Match Report
Football League - Sky Bet League Two
York City  
1 - 2
 Mansfield Town
Brobbel 1 min.
 Clucas pen 21, Palmer 76.
Attendance: 3513 (897 from Mansfield)
Date: 14 September 2013


Martin Shaw at Bootham Crescent

Mansfield Town arrived very late at Bootham Crescent and that bad preparation unquestionably contributed to a slow start as hosts York, at a low ebb after a poor start to the season, scored in just 50 seconds. It took Mansfield at least 10 minutes to get themselves a foothold in the game. A morale-boosting equaliser came on 21 minutes when James Jennings was brought down just as he was about to shoot from near the penalty spot, and Sam Clucas emphatically belted the spot kick down the centre of the net. It was deservedly all-square at the break, but Mansfield were the better side in the second half and deservedly won it on 76 minutes when a shot from Sam Clucas was turned into the net by Ollie Palmer, for his second away winner this season. York’s former Stag Richard Cresswell (only just on as a sub) and Martin Riley were both red carded for an off the ball incident a minute later, but the Stags held on with real grit and determination. Not the most entertaining game, but the Stags were tough and more determined than York and clearly deserved the points. York look early relegation candidates to me.

The Stags team bus arrived at 2.20pm, a full hour later than ideal. The “Skyride” cycle event in the centre of York caused bad traffic in and around York, but this was entirely predictable, was well publicised and had even been on BBC Radio 5live travel news all day.

A furious Paul Cox made one change to the side that battled to a draw at Newport, as Calvin Andrew replaced the suspended Matt Rhead. Jake Speight had a place on the bench for the first time since the opening day of the season. York, off to a terrible start this season, made numerous changes, including dropping captain and former Stag Chris Smith.

On a lovely sunny day, the Stags were roared on by a terrific following of 897 fans.

York were ahead in just 50 seconds (timing confirmed from match DVD). York took a free kick, the Stags were asleep and allowed Ryan Jarvis to curl a shot against the angle of bar and post, and no-one picked up Ryan Brobbel as he headed into an empty net from 3 yards.

That’s what happens when your pre-match preparation is disrupted and you arrive late.

On 4 minutes, McGuire’s pass found Hutchinson, whose shot was miscued wide. At the other end on 6 minutes, Elliot Whitehouse’s shot was blocked on the edge of the box.

It really was a sluggish start from Mansfield who looked disorganised.

On 8 minutes, the first signs that Mansfield were getting a foothold: a great move, and Hutchinson got to the byeline, put in a terrific cross, and Andrew got his head onto it, heading down and goalwards, but straight at the keeper.

On 12 minutes, good play from Clements, who found Clucas on the edge of the box, Clucas found a bit of space, but his shot was deflected through to the keeper. Straight to the other end, and Ben Davies shot straight at Marriott. Too much space in the Stags back line there.

The game was now pretty even.

On 19 minutes, Ben Davies squared to Montrose, whose shot via a deflection curled just wide.

The Stags were level on 21 minutes. Jennings broke into the York box and from near the penalty spot was just about to shoot right footed when Oyebanjo brought him down. It was a clear penalty. Surprisingly Oyebanjo was not even booked, let alone sent off, though a red card would have been harsh given he was not the final defender, but it certainly was a goal-scoring opportunity. Clucas stepped up and belted the penalty straight down the middle high into the net.

On 24 minutes, Clucas was in the action again, as his left-footed shot was saved by keeper Michael Ingham but not held but no Stags players was on hand to take advantage.

A good defensive header from Jennings on 26 minutes. Then on 29 minutes, a shot from Ben Davies was over the bar, over the Stags fans, and out of the ground.

On 35 minutes, a York corner was headed goalwards by McGurk, it was blocked, and Parslow also headed goalwards, and Marriott saved.

Dempster was booked for a late tackle. This was inconsistent from the ref, who had not book Oyebanjo in the penalty incident. Paul Cox made his feelings clear to the officials.

Sutton failed to make a good clearance on 39 minutes, and that led to a York free kick. Following the free kick, Whitehouse shot well wide.

Straight to the other end, and Andrew did well to find Clucas with a header. Clucas controlled superbly with a flick to himself, Clucas crossed and Hutchinson headed towards the roof of the net. It was saved by Ingham above his head. A minute later, Beevers cleared in the nick of time as the ball came into the box from the right.

Clements had to be replaced on 44 minutes, hobbling off with a probably ligament injury that is likely to keep him out for several weeks, though we’ll know more after a scan early during the week. Howell came on in his place. A shame for Clements, who had really been playing well and earned the shirt.

On 45 minutes, a York cross deflected off Howell and was well cleared by the Stags.

York got a standing ovation at half time. They had been ok in an even half, but this ovation suggested they must have been truly awful in previous matches.

Half time 1-1

At the start of the second half, Cox made his second and third substitutions, as Meikle and Palmer replaced Jennings and Hutchinson. Risky to make all three changes so early, and quite unlike Paul Cox. Beevers moved to left back, Sutton to right back, Clucas to right midfield and Meikle to left midfield.

A minute into the second half, Meikle found Palmer in the box and Palmer fired over the bar, but he had already been flagged offside.

The Stags nearly took the lead on 49 minutes. Calvin Andrew crossed from the left and Clucas met it first time at the near post with his boot, deflecting it wide of the left post.

On 53 minutes, McGuire was brought down 25 yards out. Clucas took the free kick which was deflected high and wide.

The Stags were really putting York under pressure with 5 corners in the opening minutes of the half.

On 56 minutes, a free kick from Ben Davies from the right was missed by Marriott, and Riley did well to head over his own bar. On 60 minutes, Montrose’s low shot was straight at Marriott. Straight to the other end, and Clucas sent a snapshot wide.

On 62 minutes, Calvin Andrew was fouled, and he then committed a foul himself immediately. The ref gave Mansfield a free kick for the first foul, but boked Andrew for the second foul. On 65 minutes, McGuire was boked for a high challenge. Was this game going to finish with 11 v 11?

Three good defensive headers from Andrew around 68 minutes. The Stags should have been ahead on 69 minutes. A great run from Meikle, and he teed up Clucas, just outside the box to the right of centre. Clucas took a touch and shot but Ingham saved. He really should have scored. I know it’s easy to say, but no-one would doubt that Matt Green would have buried that, having scored from similar positions over the last two years.

An important block from Dempster on 75 minutes as a York cross came in from the right.

The Stags took the lead on 76 minutes. Clucas shot from outside the box, and Ollie Palmer deflected it past Ingham and into the bottom right corner of the net. Afterwards Palmer insisted that he meant it. He certainly celebrated like he meant it.

On 78 minutes, as York were about to take a set piece, there was an incident off the ball. The referee spoke to his assistant and called over Richard Cresswell, just on as a sub, and Martin Riley. He sent both players off. From the match DVD, which is identical footage to that shown on Sky Sports News on Saturday evening, the original incident is out of camera shot, but then we see Riley trying to fight with Cresswell. Whilst Riley may have been unlucky (we can't see the provocation), the footage indicates that an appeal would be unlikely to be successful. (NB. awaiting whether Football League Show is a different camera, as there were two cameras).

The Stags re-grouped after lots of frantic discussion among management and players, and Sutton moved to centre half. Beevers moved to right back, and Clucas slotted in at left back.

On 86 minutes, Meikle won the ball in the middle, and sent a speculative shot just wide of the left post. Cox turned away in anguish as it looked very close.

On 89 minutes, York won a corner. Keeper Ingham went up for it, but the Stags cleared.

Five minutes of stoppage time were added. Two minutes in, sub Josh Carson cut inside from the right and shot wide. Then in the final minute of stoppage time, Oyebanjo ballooned a half chance over the bar.

The full time whistle brought good celebrations amongst players and fans, for a well-deserved victory.

Manager Cox said he wanted to study the DVD before deciding whether to appeal the Riley sending off. Clements will surely be out for a while unfortunately, but this will give an opportunity probably for either Howell or Murtagh.

Man of the match: Calvin Andrew/Sam Clucas

Report by: Martin Shaw at Bootham Crescent

Line Up:
Marriott 7 Very solid. Don’t think he really had a chance with the goal.
Sutton 7 Another good game. One mistake with a bad clearance, but otherwise tough and uncompromising.
Dempster 7 Good performance. One very good block.
Riley 7 Played very well. Reacted to whatever provocation he had (provocation can't be seen on video footage), so any appeal against his red card would be pointless.
Beevers 7.5 Did really well as right wing back, right back and left back. One good clearance in the second half.
Jennings 7.5 Had a really good first half, including a good header away, did well to earn the penalty, and I thought was unfortunate to be sacrificed at the break.
McGuire 7.5 Booked again, and endured the wrath of the home fans, but again was a terrier in the middle.
Clements 6 Hobbled off in the first half with a probable ligament injury. A shame for Clements, who had really been playing well and earned the shirt.
Hutchinson 7 Decent first half. Terrific cross for Andrew’s header early on.
Clucas 8 Caused York lots of problems. Great penalty, but really should have scored when put through by Meikle in the second half.
Andrew 8 Really good game, winning just about every header. Needs to start scoring though and should have done from Hutchinson’s great cross.
Sub Line Up:
Howell (for Clements, 44) 7 Slotted back into the side well. Worked terrifically hard.
Meikle (for Jennings, 46) 8 Superb run to put Clucas in on goal. One good shot that was just wide. Caused the full back Oyebanjo problems. Worked hard.
Palmer (for Hutchinson, 46) 6.5 In the right place at the right time to deflect in the winner - a handy knack.
Subs not used: Mitchell, Daniel, Stevenson, Speight.
Opposition Line Up:
Ingham; Oyebanjo, McGurk, Parslow, Davies; Puri (Carson 63), Montrose, Whitehouse, Brobbel (Taft 82), Fletcher (Cresswell 75), Jarvis. Subs not used: Kettings, Smith, Chambers, Platt.
Jeremy Simpson 6 Got the penalty right though should have booked Oyebanjo. Hard to say on the double sending off as the original incident is not captured on the match DVD or Sky Sports News (awaiting whether Football League Show is a different camera, as there were two cameras)

Season 13/14 Reports