{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 12/13 Stagsnet Match Report
FA Cup 4th qualifying round
1 - 2
 Mansfield Town
Arnison pen 86.
 Speight 32, 67.
Attendance: 701 (approx 75 from Mansfield)
Date: 20 October 2012


Martin Shaw at Borough Park

Mansfield Town overcame a spirited Workington side to reach the FA Cup first round and a chance of drawing Sheffield United, Portsmouth, Notts County or Chesterfield in the draw on Sunday lunchtime. Two goals from Jake Speight were enough to win it for the Stags, though a blunder by keeper Shane Redmond gifted Workington a penalty four minutes from time and a route back into the tie, but Redmond partially atoned with a late save to deny Vaulks. Earlier, the impressive Jonny Wright had hit the top of the bar and the outside of the post for Workington, and he then missed from 6 yards just before the penalty. Workington, from a league below the Stags, could rightly claim that they deserved a replay Jake Speight was the Stags man of the match, while Junior Daniel particularly impressed in a defensive role, including clearing an effort off the line.

Stags boss Paul Cox made three enforced changes from the side that beat Forest Green Rovers. Shane Redmond returned in goal as Notts County did not want Liam Mitchell cup-tied. Luke Jones came in for the injured Exodus Geohaghon. And Anthony Howell replaced the suspended Adam Murray. It started as a 3-4-3 formation with Sutton, Jones and Dempster in defence, but during the first half, Junior Daniel moved back from left midfield into a left back slot in a 4-3-3 formation.

Workington had informed us that they would not be filming the game, supposedly their biggest game for some years. So we had to take with us our camera, television, DVD recorder and a plethora of cables. There was only one electricity point and that was the other side of the players tunnel, so one extension lead running over the top of the players tunnel ended up supplying more than 15 appliances once laptops and broadcasting kit had been added in. And we took Mike our cameraman who travelled on the SSA coach and duly supplied the travellers with sausage and bacon cobs, from his café at Sutton Junction. Mocking from some of the home fans at our extensive filming kit got my hackles up and it was a real Eureka! moment when everything worked and we got it all connected up.

Eureka! moment as the DVD recorder is recording from the camera

and all the power came from an extension lead draped across the top of the players tunnel to one power socket for the entire press area. Pictured is Mike our cameraman

Workington had the first chance on five minutes with a shot from Arnison from outside the box but it was an easy save for Redmond. On ten minutes, Luke Jones flicked a header wide from a free kick from Roberts. Jake Speight made a good chance for himself on 13 minutes when he forced the keeper to tip away his shot which was possibly going marginally wide. A minute later, a good chance at the other end as home striker Johnny Wright clipped the top of the bar from the edge of the box. Howell had a glorious chance for the Stags on 16 minutes when he fired wide in similar circumstances to his 2 misses at Telford. On 20 minutes, the impressive Johnny Wright clipped the woodwork again turning and curling a shot against the outside of the right post. On 25 minutes, the Stags were just able to clear a Workington free kick and then Redmond saved with his legs.

The Stags had moved to a 4-3-3 formation, with Daniel moving to left back.

It was 1-0 on 32 minutes. Daniel’s ball forward was headed by a defender into the path of Speight who turned inside and sent a clinical left footed finish into the bottom corner.

Workington were unlucky not to equalise on 43 minutes when they struck the woodwork for a third time as Arnison crashed a volley on to the underside of the bar. Moments later, Daniel did brilliantly to clear off the line following a corner. A half chance for the Stags as Todd and Dempster put balls into the box but it came to nothing.

A very even first half and Workington were unfortunate to be behind with 3 efforts against the woodwork.

Half time 1-0

On 50 minutes, Roberts sent a free kick just wide of the left post.

Being so close to the action, I was able to notice that Speight was using an asthma inhaler around this time. If Workington were hoping he would be out of puff, they were proved to be very wrong later on.

On 56 minutes, Workington had shouts for a penalty as they claimed a push in the box but it was waved away by the referee. A good move involving Green and Speight on 57 minutes but the final ball from Green to Speight was poor. On 60, Cowperthwaite fired in an excellent cross from the right but it was just ahead of Johnny Wright.

Chris Clements replaced Todd on 61 minutes and 2 minutes later, Meikle came on for Green, and Hutchinson for Rhead, as Paul Cox made all his changes. Meikle went to the right side of midfield, with Hutchinson and Speight up front in a 4-4-2 formation.

Hutchinson was straight into the action teeing up Speight on 66 minutes but Speight fired well over.

A minute later it was 2-0. Hutchinson fed Speight who slotted a shot under the keeper and into the net. From the DVD recording, Speight was a yard offside when he received the ball from Hutchinson. Fortunately for the Stags, the linesman missed it.

Redmond was called into action on 75 minutes as he scrambled away a free kick from Rowntree. Speight tried his luck on 77 minutes and he was only just wide of the right post. Mansfield had claims for a penalty on 78 minutes when Luke Jones appeared to get a little push but again the referee was not interested. A minute later, Clements shot wide of the left post from 24 yards.

Workington substitute Mwasile forced Redmond into a save on 82 minutes. Redmond parried the ball away . It hit Johnny Wright and went wide.

Workington were handed a lifeline on 86 minutes when Redmond needlessly wrestled Wright to the ground. It was a clear penalty. Arnison buried the kick sending Redmond the wrong way.

Roberts played a nice ball forward for Speight a minute later but Speight couldn’t quite control it.

Redmond made partial amends for his blunder on 88 minutes when he made a good save low down from Vaulks. Right on 90 minutes Redmond made a good claim from a free kick. The Stags held on, to avoid the awkwardness of a replay on Thursday night and having to move the Dartford game from Friday to Saturday and thus playing two games in 36 hours.

Man of the match: Jake Speight

Report by: Martin Shaw at Borough Park

Line Up:
Redmond 5.5 Gave away a clumsy penalty to gift Workington a lifeline. Otherwise decent handling and made a good save from Vaulks on 88 minutes.
Sutton 6 Defended ok.
Dempster 6.5 No-nonsense defending, did well.
Jones 6 Did ok back in the side.
Todd 6 Determined display.
Roberts 6 Did ok.
Howell 6 Worked very hard. Missed one good chance.
Daniel 7.5 Did really well in a defensive role. One outstanding clearance off the line.
Rhead 6.5 Won all of his headers.
Speight 8 Two clinical finishes and went close on other occasions. Also worked very hard for the team.
Green 5.5 Not quite at his sharpest still.
Sub Line Up:
Clements (for Todd, 61) 6 Curled one shot wide. Did ok in an attacking midfield role.
Meikle (for Green, 63) 6.5 Very busy.
Hutchinson (for Rhead, 63) 7 Set up the second goal for Speight. Great to see him on the pitch for the first time this season.
Subs not used: Beevers, Stevenson, Briscoe, Wright.
Opposition Line Up:
Taylor, Cowperthwaite, Rowntree, May, Bolton, Hewson (Connerton), Boyd (Mwasile), Vaulks, Jonny Wright, Arnison, McLuckie. Subs not used: Brown, Wordsworth, Dixon, Wraighte, Scott.
Sebastian Stockbridge 7 Good game.

Season 12/13 Reports