{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Clough press Conference Mon 15 Aug

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Clough press Conference Mon 15 Aug

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:46 pm

17 minute interview available to watch on iFollow

"no Akins, no Hawkins, no Boateng probably. I think it would be too much of a risk to put them in at this stage.

"Two or three of them have got a chance to be fit for Saturday.

“Quinn and Swan did not train today. Swan started but pulled out so we will have to see how he is."

On possible transfers:
"We've got our eye on one or two forward players. It's the forward area we are short. That's the area (where we will strengthen) if at all. But we've got our 19 players."

"We’ve made one or two enquiries, but we said we wanted to work with a squad of 19 and that’s the number we’ve got at the moment. If somebody is out longer term, then we’ll have a conversation about that but at the moment, no plans."

In terms of outgoing players:
"We did have one (enquiry) last week, but it didn't really appeal to us."
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Clough press Conference Mon 15 Aug

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:50 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:51 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:14 pm

Shall we rename Mansfield Town to "Injury-hit Mansfield Town", to save having to check?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:19 pm

I sincerely hope this is one of Mr Clough’s famous bluffs and a new player is to start in tomorrow night’s game.

If not James Gale should not go out on loan.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:46 pm

Never mind going out on loan. Why not start Gale on Tuesday night. What we got to lose. We are playing great football. Just started with a bit of a goal drought. Give the lad first 45 mins. See how he goes with Oates
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby broomo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:49 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I sincerely hope this is one of Mr Clough’s famous bluffs and a new player is to start in tomorrow night’s game.

No chance, he's always very honest and the fact he hasn't said we're close to bringing one in certainly rules it out for tomorrow.

Pleased but not surprised to see he's pretty much echoed what I've been saying this past week.

Just wish more would give him the benefit of doubt when it comes to assessing the quality of his own squad.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:52 pm

broomo wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I sincerely hope this is one of Mr Clough’s famous bluffs and a new player is to start in tomorrow night’s game.

No chance, he's always very honest and the fact he hasn't said we're close to bringing one in certainly rules it out for tomorrow.

Pleased but not surprised to see he's pretty much echoed what I've been saying this past week.

Just wish more would give him the benefit of doubt when it comes to assessing the quality of his own squad.

completely bonkers & in exactly the same bloody hole as he made last season “IF” this isn’t a blag
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:56 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:

completely bonkers & in exactly the same bloody hole as he made last season “IF” this isn’t a blag

Do you mean the spell last season when 4 or 5 of our best players were injured or suspended and folk were saying it wouldn't make any difference to our results having them back?

That hole?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Nutty Stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:01 pm

Yes that hole that cost the club automatic promotion.
Nutty Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:06 pm

It’s hilarious how injury riddled this team is every single season.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:07 pm

If he leaves us short upfront again then I genuinely do not understand it. Is it him being stubborn again or just lack of budget? I personally hope it’s mind games and he has a striker lined up. Perhaps wishful thinking. Even with Bowery and Akins back, we still need a replacement for Johnson. 62 shots on goal, 2 goals scored. We had this 2 seasons ago.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:08 pm

If the press conference is right then my guess is

Pym

Back 3: Hewitt O Toole Harbottle

Wing backs and Midfield: Gordon and McLaughlin, Hartigan, Lapslie, Maris

Forward: Oates, Bowery

Any other thoughts? Can’t see anything other than this
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby broomo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:16 pm

Nutty Stag wrote:Yes that hole that cost the club automatic promotion.

I could list 3 games where officials mistakes "cost us automatic promotion" just as much as losing key players during that not winning spell.

The truth is the squad was good enough to challenge when a lot (too many) of posters on here had given up and had predicted another relegation battle, or at best another long hard season.

De ja vu working both ways, me saying we'll be fine and others saying his transfer policy will cost us.

I guess both sides could claim to be right.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see another "get him out of my club" post if we don't pick up 2 home wins this week.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:19 pm

NEStag wrote:If the press conference is right then my guess is

Pym

Back 3: Hewitt O Toole Harbottle

Wing backs and Midfield: Gordon and McLaughlin, Hartigan, Lapslie, Maris

Forward: Oates, Bowery

Any other thoughts? Can’t see anything other than this

I don't think he'll start Maris and Hartigan in the same midfield. I'd expect Quinn to start and if he's not fit Clarke will come in for him.

Could also see Bowery come in for Gordon with Swann up top with Oates.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:20 pm

Maybe Broomo but I’m looking further up the thread where he says Quinn and Swan both didn’t train….
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NEStag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:25 pm

We have an awful lot of injuries or potentially unfit players. Off the top of my head:

Injured

Wallace
Hawkins
Boateng
Akins

Not training and might be injured(?);

Swan
Quinn

Don’t seem to be fully fit:

Clarke (?)
Oates(?)

That’s 8 out of 17 of the first team squad that aren’t keepers(?). Worrying.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:29 pm

broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:

Do you mean the spell last season when 4 or 5 of our best players were injured or suspended and folk were saying it wouldn't make any difference to our results having them back?

That hole?

I don’t recall many saying having them back wouldn’t make much difference to results, in fact most fans fully understood the problems the team was facing and that’s why the fans stood firmly behind the team.

A lot of clubs would have sacked Nigel last October and that would have been the absolutely wrong thing to do. It would also be lunacy to suggest he shouldn’t be our manager now as he is clearly the best candidate for the job.

I concede that we have absolutely no idea of the reasons our squad consists of the players it does or indeed why we are not adding to it. It could be that Nigel’s hands have been completely tied and if that is the case I feel really bad for him as he is the public fall guy.

I am normally quite an optimist when it comes to Mansfield Town FC but not this year. I feel we have a squad that has above average injuries and is smaller than most other teams. We have an above average number of ‘utility’ players who can do a job but not enough quality in vital positions. I am not even going to make any allowance for suspensions as I feel we will have fewer than the average this year but remember that could also impact on commitment in tackles and generally getting stuck in.

My prediction if things stay as they are is 12th at best and a big fall in season ticket sales next year. I sincerely hope that I am wrong.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:30 pm

NEStag wrote:We have an awful lot of injuries or potentially unfit players. Off the top of my head:

Injured

Wallace
Hawkins
Boateng
Akins

Swan
Quinn

Clarke (?)
Oates(?)

Wallace is back. Maybe not fully fit but not put injured.

Quinn probably managing his own fitness by not training.

It is worrying how many others are out though, hopefully a couple back for Saturday.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:36 pm

NEStag wrote:We have an awful lot of injuries or potentially unfit players. Off the top of my head:

Injured

Wallace
Hawkins
Boateng
Akins

Swan
Quinn

Clarke (?)
Oates(?)

You forgot Jason Law who is also one of the 19 outfield players and out for some time.

Wallace is fit but him and Perch have little match fitness.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:37 pm

broomo wrote:

Injured

Wallace
Hawkins
Boateng
Akins

Swan
Quinn

Clarke (?)
Oates(?)

Wallace is back. Maybe not fully fit but not put injured.

Quinn probably managing his own fitness by not training.

It is worrying how many others are out though, hopefully a couple back for Saturday.

Fair enough. I didn’t know Wallace was back. He’d probably drop to the bottom category then as not fully (match) fit. You may be right on Quinn, I just went by the press conference.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NEStag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:40 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

Injured

Wallace
Hawkins
Boateng
Akins

Swan
Quinn

Clarke (?)
Oates(?)

You forgot Jason Law who is also one of the 19 outfield players and out for some time.

Wallace is fit but him and Perch have little match fitness.

So Law goes in the injured and Perch in the not match fit. Meaning:

4 injured
2 unknown (maybe 1 if Broomo is correct on Quinn)
4 not fully match fit (Wallace, Perch, Clarke, Oates) could be fewer.

Perhaps easier to count who is fully fit

Harbottle
O toole
Gordon
McLaughlin
Lapslie
Maris
Bowery
Hewitt
Hartigan
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalstag1 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:46 pm

We're saved. Wallace is back.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:37 pm

He keeps saying he has his 19 players which therefore includes the blindingly obvious that he doesn't truly believe he needs another out and out goalscoring striker and that his existing pool of players are going to get the 60 plus goals we will require to get promotion... please tell me who?
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:49 pm

I know Clough is big on versatility but I don’t really see the need to run on a tight squad of 19. Likelihood is that there will always be around 3 players out through injury/suspension/getting up to speed, whatever it may be, particularly with an ageing squad and the injury record of some of our players. We saw it last season and we’re seeing it again this season already so it shouldn’t come as a surprise. Expecting to have a fully fit squad to pick from with this team is a bit of a pipe dream.

Then you’ve got players who may be out of form and need a bit of time out the side and you want to freshen things up, or having the need to rotate due to fixture congestion. All of a sudden the squad can start to feel very thin. Just feel like we’re taking a risk that we don’t need to take?

I trust that Clough would be a good enough man manager to deal with a couple of extra players and it could not only improve the side but also safeguard us from certain situations. I only see upsides to having one or two more players, and no downsides unless we’re talking an extra wage but our squad size would be nothing out of the ordinary and we’re not skint. I doubt Sharpe or Radford are telling him we have to go with 19 so just treat yourself Nigel :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum