{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Who in our media team will ask a difficult question?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Who in our media team will ask a difficult question?

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:00 pm

We played well today no matter what anyone says, but we have no clincial edge.

Hawkins wouldn't have played up top, bowery great player but not clincial.

Where are our goals coming from?
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Re: Who in our media team will ask a difficult question?

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:04 pm

Go and get another beer Jay , enjoy your holiday and stop fretting...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:15 pm

Agree. We need a natural finisher to partner Oates.

Feel like the only area we have done major work to is the midfield and it was the area that needed it the least.

For me, we simply have not improved in forward areas or defensively.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AJStag » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:21 pm

Goals will come. Have patience and more importantly faith
In the Management and players. An unlucky result today. Their keeper MOtM !
AJStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:21 pm

Nobody.
Perhaps they could ask him whether we need another couple, or three, midfield players to make it work?
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:44 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Agree. We need a natural finisher to partner Oates.

Feel like the only area we have done major work to is the midfield and it was the area that needed it the least.

For me, we simply have not improved in forward areas or defensively.

100% agree. Not improved at the back or in forward areas at all. If we don’t improve those areas by the transfer deadline we won’t quite have enough I don’t think.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:58 pm

We've needed a striker and centre half for months, it's nothing new, I'm amazed an experienced manager like Clough can't see how unbalanced our squad is. There is clearly more money in the transfer/wages pot, get it done otherwise top 7 might be very tough.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:33 pm

Rob wrote:We've needed a striker and centre half for months, it's nothing new, I'm amazed an experienced manager like Clough can't see how unbalanced our squad is. There is clearly more money in the transfer/wages pot, get it done otherwise top 7 might be very tough.

now ya for it Rob :shock:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:33 pm

There's a guy knocking in goals at Walsall at the moment, looks a natural finisher. Not sure of his name but I think he's available mid season time.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PostmanPat » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:34 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:We played well today no matter what anyone says, but we have no clincial edge.

Hawkins wouldn't have played up top, bowery great player but not clincial.

Where are our goals coming from?

We are in for a long season if people think Oates is our 20 a season man. Need a chuffing striker.
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:42 pm

Imagine if Oates picked up a long term injury.....

God help us.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:57 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Imagine if Oates picked up a long term injury.....

God help us.

It's fine, we've got Akins and Bowery to play up front. Like last season when oates was injured. They were so good they kept DJ out the starting XI. They didn't score but they must have been good considering DJ's goalscoring record immediately before joining us and immediately after leaving. He was our best scorers for most of last season based on minutes per goal. Took Oates ages to overtake him.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby PostmanPat » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:06 pm

God help us.

Think he’s playing with a injury anyway.
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:18 pm

PostmanPat wrote:

God help us.

Think he’s playing with a injury anyway.

I don't think he looks 100% either.

Which goes to show how desperate we are to keep him on the pitch because without him we have no threat at all.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:17 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

God help us.

It's fine, we've got Akins and Bowery to play up front. Like last season when oates was injured. They were so good they kept DJ out the starting XI. They didn't score but they must have been good considering DJ's goalscoring record immediately before joining us and immediately after leaving. He was our best scorers for most of last season based on minutes per goal. Took Oates ages to overtake him.

Spot on gazza, folk keep saying he doesn't fit with our/Cloughs style of play.
How do we know that when he never got a fair crack at it?
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:43 pm

There are no challenging questions asked

DJ 5 goals
Mansfield 1

Akins doesn’t score enough goals
bowery doesn’t score enough goals
oates looks fat
swan has no confidence

I look forward to seeing what will be done to address this before the close of the window, keep it as it is while forwards as central defence and it’s all good
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:01 pm

We have needed two quality centre halfs since May 2021. We only improved last season after signing John Joe O'Toole. We would also have signed John Brayford in January or this summer if he had been available. He's now stopping at Burton so we need to move on to Plan B/C/D etc

"You need to build from the back" - Peter Taylor/Brian Clough
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:48 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We have needed two quality centre halfs since May 2021. We only improved last season after signing John Joe O'Toole. We would also have signed John Brayford in January or this summer if he had been available. He's now stopping at Burton so we need to move on to Plan B/C/D etc

"You need to build from the back" - Peter Taylor/Brian Clough

Both are needed. At the end of last season if you asked every supporter what do we mainly need to do in the summer window, every man and his dog would have said ‘a quality defender, and a quality striker to partner Oates’.

Harbottle and Swan are not those signings. Clough himself said he wanted to ease them in as they got used to mens football after the Salford game, but we needed additions in those areas that were going to come in and make a proper improvement to the starting 11 from the get go.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:26 am

There was obviously more to the DJ situation than we know and will probably ever know.

We need a centre back who can mark the back post and his first choice position is CB.

We need a striker who can score at least 15 goals

Simple really
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:38 am

Not really that simple as just about every other team will be after a 15-20 goal striker as well!!
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:14 pm

Rob wrote:We've needed a striker and centre half for months, it's nothing new, I'm amazed an experienced manager like Clough can't see how unbalanced our squad is. There is clearly more money in the transfer/wages pot, get it done otherwise top 7 might be very tough.

hh//................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................LooLooking back at the History of Mansfield Town this last 20 years you have been in the top 7 twice, 5 years of non-league football;, and played no higher than league 2,
So it seems to achieve top 7 is very tough, and all who think it a given right , make up their own facts it is not in the clubs history.
A top level strker or defender would not be at Mansfield five minutes, and if we threw all our eggs in one basket and he suffered a U-C-L- injury.
Would the critics say oh we tried, or would they say he has bought a cripple again.
Mansfield have moved into a top teami in league 2 and reached the play off finals 2022,
The last time was in 2004 eighteen years ago, The striker or defender will come within our budget.
The finacial stability of the club must always come first
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:20 pm

Have you been smoking something!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:26 pm

bear 73 wrote:

hh//................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................LooLooking back at the History of Mansfield Town this last 20 years you have been in the top 7 twice, 5 years of non-league football;, and played no higher than league 2,
So it seems to achieve top 7 is very tough, and all who think it a given right , make up their own facts it is not in the clubs history.
A top level strker or defender would not be at Mansfield five minutes, and if we threw all our eggs in one basket and he suffered a U-C-L- injury.
Would the critics say oh we tried, or would they say he has bought a cripple again.
Mansfield have moved into a top teami in league 2 and reached the play off finals 2022,
The last time was in 2004 eighteen years ago, The striker or defender will come within our budget.
The finacial stability of the club must always come first

What are you talking about :lol: We have wealthy owners for the first time in our history and have one of the biggest budgets in our league; Clough has plenty of money to spend. Lower than top 7 would clearly be failure, he has said as much himself.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:41 pm

bear 73 wrote:.

So the top clubs putting their faith in Haalland, Jesus, Sterling, Nunez, are all wrong on a relative basis.

You don't NOT do something because something else might happen as a consequence for heavens sake.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:57 pm

We don’t know exactly how hard we’ve tried or the kind of offers we’ve put in for players already.

I would imagine we offered a decent sum for each of Nicholls and Broom. Other than that who else would be a realistic target to improve us?

Telford? I wouldn’t be surprised if we’d enquired about him before he went to Crawley.

Keillor-Dunne? Again I wouldn’t be surprised if we were in for him too, he’d have been an excellent addition.

CJ? Just from his name being mentioned on here and the ex-player link, he’d fit the versatility criteria, personally I’d love to see CJ and Oates as a front two.

Walker? Ex-player link, further connection maybe through Des and Nigel? He’d undoubtedly improve us immediately but would he drop to League Two? How much would it cost?

McKirdy? Not that I think there’s a cat in hells chance of that happening and he’s an odious little so and so but an excellent player who can play as a striker, behind the striker and out wide.

Other than that I’m genuinely struggling to name players I’d see as ‘realistic’ targets. Didn’t Nigel say next close season a lot more players are out of contract?

Anyone else add names to the list that would be realistic targets to improve us?

We definitely need another striker/attacker but I genuinely don’t know who that should be.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum