{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cobblers scorefred sponsored by 'Three steps to Heaven'.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Cobblers scorefred sponsored by 'Three steps to Heaven'.

Postby bear 73 » Sat May 14, 2022 11:02 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Cockney Stag wrote:Should be battering this lot.

Every week same issues.

Cockney Stag wrote:If Murphy starts vs Northampton I'll switch off.

Please feel free to switch off from here too if you want to. :lol: You've posted the biggest load of garbage in a long time tonight

Cockney Stag wrote:Also Murphy didn't cross for Bowery. It was a shot.

You've just got to be having a laugh surely. Unbelievable.

14 posts giving a opinion that is so far from reality its a waste of space while our season rolls on with a win in the first play off game
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Sat May 14, 2022 11:09 pm

The bookies have us at 6/4 for promotion and Northampton at 11/2. Wednesday will be what it is but to a neutral observer they clearly think we are in a better place. They don’t give money away.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sat May 14, 2022 11:10 pm

NEStag wrote:The bookies have us at 6/4 for promotion and Northampton at 11/2. Wednesday will be what it is but to a neutral observer they clearly think we are in a better place. They don’t give money away.

The odds are more to do with the percentages rather than any kind of informed opinion.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat May 14, 2022 11:11 pm

Not sure if anyone agrees with me or not but this was a bit disturbing.

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat May 14, 2022 11:16 pm

Wow Dan, those photos didn't depict a 2-1 win like you say. I think it's because the second half was so hard to watch. I said at half time if we score another we'll cruise it, but they get one back and it will be a horrible half. Sadly it was the latter but we still got the win which is all that matters now.

The nerves from the crowd projected on the players second half but we still held in there.

1-1 at their place me thinks, come on stags!!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Ethers1979 » Sat May 14, 2022 11:51 pm

Brilliant from Longstaff and Murphy creating the 2nd goal
Ethers1979
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Sat May 14, 2022 11:53 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Wow Dan, those photos didn't depict a 2-1 win like you say. I think it's because the second half was so hard to watch. I said at half time if we score another we'll cruise it, but they get one back and it will be a horrible half. Sadly it was the latter but we still got the win which is all that matters now.

The nerves from the crowd projected on the players second half but we still held in there.

I was really shocked mate. I’m just hoping it’s because they know they weren’t at their best and they can do better.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun May 15, 2022 12:03 am

Dan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Wow Dan, those photos didn't depict a 2-1 win like you say. I think it's because the second half was so hard to watch. I said at half time if we score another we'll cruise it, but they get one back and it will be a horrible half. Sadly it was the latter but we still got the win which is all that matters now.

I was really shocked mate. I’m just hoping it’s because they know they weren’t at their best and they can do better.

I think so, they did very well first half and then the second half was a 40 minute barrage and it was proper nail biting stuff, the crowd went a bit quiet too for a bit when they scored which is to be expected and I think it fell on to the players as well. Still gave em a good clap off being the last home game this season

Take a step back and we are 90 minutes away from Wembley with a 1 goal advantage. If you'd have told me this is where we'd be back in October/November no one would have believed you!

Northampton imo are the best team in the play offs, they've been at the top a season and they were always gonna have a go at 2-0 down in a all or nothing set of games. All we need is a draw and I think we can do it.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun May 15, 2022 12:15 am

Just watched the game again having Sky plussed it. We had a bit of a mare 2nd half and just couldn't keep the ball, Quinn and Maris, two of our best players, were major culprits. As I thought live, Bowery was again excellent, as we're both CB's. Ref was hopeless 2nd half, that free kick he didn't give to Oates in injury time was one of the worst decisions of the season! Northampton aren't good to watch but are very effective at what they do, which is basically 80s Div 4 :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun May 15, 2022 6:02 am

Quinn, Murphy, Longstaff, Stirk and even Maris last night need to do a lot better on the ball on Wednesday night if we are to progress. All of those 5 in the midfield (barring Maris) aren’t blessed with pace or the ability to get around the pitch well. They put the effort in don’t get me wrong, but it’s not their game.

They’re all technical midfielders that need the ball to their feet and want to get us playing, but if they’re not going to do that like last night then you may as well have a combative midfield of Clarke, Lapslie, Akins and Wallace that can eat up more ground and lay a glove on the opposition. We didn’t do either second half. We just need somebody to be brave and take responsibility on the ball on Wednesday to calm everyone down.

The CB’s were immense and great for the front 2 to get on the scoresheet.

Overall I think we’re quite fortunate to be leading the tie, so let’s just see it as a bonus that we are and be confident that we know we can be much better than that.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun May 15, 2022 6:40 am

loved the stick Sean Dyche got walking up, once a spireshite always a spireshite lol

always a great sight to see Mr & Mrs Radford in attendance
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun May 15, 2022 6:45 am

BH_Stag wrote:Quinn, Murphy, Longstaff, Stirk and even Maris last night need to do a lot better on the ball on Wednesday night if we are to progress. All of those 5 in the midfield (barring Maris) aren’t blessed with pace or the ability to get around the pitch well. They put the effort in don’t get me wrong, but it’s not their game.

They’re all technical midfielders that need the ball to their feet and want to get us playing, but if they’re not going to do that like last night then you may as well have a combative midfield of Clarke, Lapslie, Akins and Wallace that can eat up more ground and lay a glove on the opposition. We didn’t do either second half. We just need somebody to be brave and take responsibility on the ball on Wednesday to calm everyone down.

The CB’s were immense and great for the front 2 to get on the scoresheet.

Overall I think we’re quite fortunate to be leading the tie, so let’s just see it as a bonus that we are and be confident that we know we can be much better than that.

Some fair points here on the midfield. Second half we just couldnt keep the ball. On the substitutions, Quinn was obviously fading and I got the impression Clough ran out of patience with Longstaff, who just seconds earlier had given the ball away easily 3 times on the trot. Unfortunately Wallace and particularly Stirk were even worse in that regard. I would have brought Ollie Clarke on 100%.

We have a lead and its going to be very competitive there. Playing a not fully fit Quinn, Murphy and Longstaff will hand them some initiative if we are not careful. If Quinn is not 100%, I would play Clarke on Wednesday in the middle.

Also an conundrum at the back. Hawkins had a good game ( although he possibly could have got a better block on the deflected goal) but I think Hewitt may have done better against their left wing than Perch was doing, and may have offered more support to Bowery going forwards so will Clough move Perch across?

The managers mantra is not to change much though. I just hope we go there to attack and not just defend a lead. First goal will be huge.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun May 15, 2022 7:05 am

Dan wrote:Not sure if anyone agrees with me or not but this was a bit disturbing.

It's half time, nothing is won, nothing is lost. The reaction shows that imo. To go overboard is wrong. The time for hugs, smiles and fist pumping is when t'ref blows FT at Sixseats.

Step One to Heaven achieved ;)
Last edited by Spiritater on Sun May 15, 2022 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun May 15, 2022 7:11 am

I’m always surprised that Calderwood never gets more hammer, the dour ***. I’m always asking him where his brown envelope from Swindon is.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun May 15, 2022 7:56 am

:D Win on the board . well done to our Master fredder and no meddling round with our Tater ;) ;) ;)

We would all liked to hang on to a 2 goal cushion , but i would have took any advantage before the game.

Players have got it in there hands in the next game , running trough brick walls to get the result we all crave :D :D

:mtfc: :coys: :mansfield_till_i_die: :mtfc:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun May 15, 2022 8:02 am

Some weird comments on here I feel.

We've just beaten a team in the first leg of the playoffs who finished above us in the league.

Yes some moments of madness, and in my opinion questionable substitutions but we won and go to the away leg needing not to lose.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sun May 15, 2022 8:04 am

Overall I thought Northampton were the better team last night.

As others have pointed out out midfield wasn’t great first half and woeful in the second half.

I think I’d bring Laps in for Maris and Clarke for Murphy.

We did win though and you would like to think the nerves won’t be as bad away from home and the pressure is on Northampton.

Wednesday cannot come quick enough for me
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun May 15, 2022 8:26 am

Just watched the game back again, we were brilliant first half, the worrying thing is after they scored we just didn’t react, couldn’t keep the ball and held on, they were only ever likely to score from a long throw or set piece in the last 30 mins.

On Wednesday id be tempted to change the formation either with the following:

Bishop
Hewitt perch Hawkins o toole macca
Clarke Maris Quinn
Bowery Oates.

Bishop
Perch O’Toole Hawkins macca
Akins Lapslie Maris Quinn Bowery
Oates.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun May 15, 2022 8:31 am

I think we can probably forget Quinn starting on Wednesday due to his hip injury. I think he will be on the bench and brought on only if absolutely necessary.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun May 15, 2022 8:41 am

RE Dan's tweet. I noticed their reaction and took it that they wanted to thank the fans after their last game but looked angry at the final result (or 2nd half performance) and also took it that it is only half time so no need for celebrations.

I am not worried by their reaction
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun May 15, 2022 8:46 am

Interesting that Clough thinks we will play better on Wednesday, think he feels the nerves from the crowd affected the players.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 15, 2022 9:04 am

I’m worried about McLaughlin. He clearly felt his hamstring in the first half in the bulls up to the second goal. After that he was not the same player and barely got over the half way line. We really missed him.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sun May 15, 2022 9:05 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

Every week same issues.

Please feel free to switch off from here too if you want to. :lol: You've posted the biggest load of garbage in a long time tonight

It looked like a shot to me from the footage. Keeper saved it and luckily fell to Bowery. Does not matter though. Happy with result without pkaying well. Limited them to few clear cut chances. We move on to Wednesday.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun May 15, 2022 9:07 am

It's very easy to come on here and criticise the performance of certain players and the Manager's substitutions and there are lots of valid and invalid points in this thread.... but the bare fact is we won 2-1 and now need to consolidate that on Wednesday COYS
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun May 15, 2022 9:11 am

ST4GS wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Every week same issues.

It looked like a shot to me from the footage. Keeper saved it and luckily fell to Bowery. Does not matter though. Happy with result without pkaying well. Limited them to few clear cut chances. We move on to Wednesday.

Does it even matter if it was a cross or a shot? We scored from it Cockney :roll:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum