{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

RYAN STIRK

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

RYAN STIRK

Postby yorkstag » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:15 pm

I know some on here feel he's a bit lightweight - is it only me that think's he's a fantastic footballer?

Not sure how realistic it would be to get him here permanently but if we could I certainly would
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Re: RYAN STIRK

Postby part time pete » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:18 pm

I thought that when he came on as a sub earlier in the season he was poor, but these last few games he has been excellent and deserves his place in the starting XI even when everyone is fit.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:32 pm

Some had wrote him off a few weeks ago saying he wasn't good enough but he's improved a lot recently and looks a tidy player indeed
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:42 pm

part time pete wrote:I thought that when he came on as a sub earlier in the season he was poor, but these last few games he has been excellent and deserves his place in the starting XI even when everyone is fit.

Agree but I thought that, when he came in the Rochdale game when he was injured, we actually saw the first signs of the quality we are now seeing. One of his tackles was way above the quality we see at our level.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:13 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
part time pete wrote:I thought that when he came on as a sub earlier in the season he was poor, but these last few games he has been excellent and deserves his place in the starting XI even when everyone is fit.

Agree but I thought that, when he came in the Rochdale game when he was injured, we actually saw the first signs of the quality we are now seeing. One of his tackles was way above the quality we see at our level.

Agree that’s when I saw that there was a proper baller in there too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:15 pm

I think his technical ability was evident straight away, I’d says he’s second only to Quinn on that front, maybe McLaughlin.

My question mark was how he would copy physically, a bit of a mixed bag on that front so far. I think he suits playing deeper rather than the more advance role he played in the last two or three games before yesterday.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:22 pm

He’s a good player and I can see why Clough was talking him up.

Is he an automatic starter? Probably not in my opinion. If Clough sticks with the 5-3-2 then my midfield would be Maris, Quinn and Lapslie.

If he goes back to the diamond, then I’d add Clarke because I think he adds more when it comes to winning possession
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:28 pm

Interesting comments - I do think he pushes for a start. I think he’s technically gifted and can play a number of roles.

If we could get him permanently I would take him.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:32 pm

When Clough stated that Stirk was a player we were missing, a lot on here thought oh just a excuse , while i thought he had only played coming off the bench i thought Clough and his staff
take great care to sign players that should improve the squad.
Like our own youth he has a lot to learn. but his talent stands out
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:31 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:He’s a good player and I can see why Clough was talking him up.

Is he an automatic starter? Probably not in my opinion. If Clough sticks with the 5-3-2 then my midfield would be Maris, Quinn and Lapslie.

If he goes back to the diamond, then I’d add Clarke because I think he adds more when it comes to winning possession

Yes, i think overall I prefer Clarke to Lapslie, who I don't think has hit the heights of last season yet. Stirk has been very very good for the last few games.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:33 pm

Footballing ability is there to see, can pick a pass and was doing it all game yesterday. So far, with few games played hes done more than Laps whos not got going this year

definitely has the ability to play higher than this level.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:30 pm

bear 73 wrote:When Clough stated that Stirk was a player we were missing, a lot on here thought oh just a excuse , while i thought he had only played coming off the bench i thought Clough and his staff
take great care to sign players that should improve the squad.
Like our own youth he has a lot to learn. but his talent stands out

I think it seemed strange that NC said that when he'd only started him in one game prior to that injury. Up to that point he'd looked gifted but lightweight against some of the players in League 2.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:31 pm

Had an excellent game at Crawley and looks the part.

Is it Stirk or Maris?

For me it's Stirk or Lapslie.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:44 pm

the Crawley iFollow commentators were impressed with the way he ran the midfield.
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby YellaFella 75 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:04 pm

He's certainly surprised me, don't think we saw the best of him earlier in the season but the last few games he's been terrific, more of the same please Ryan.
YellaFella 75
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby broomo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:11 pm

Maybe not a popular opinion but I think Stirk is already better than our own young players, maybe not surprising given he's from a Championship club.

Even during his sub appearances you could tell he was good technically and a very good passer of the ball.

The senior players trust him, he gets on the ball a lot, gets us playing forward and keeps things ticking over nicely.

Interesting to see him start ahead of both Maris and Clarke yesterday and I certainly think he's edged ahead of Lapslie as well.

I think he's one of those who should now start, either deep lying or advanced just get him on the pitch.

He looks like the type of player who makes it easier for whoever he gives the ball to, his weight and speed of pass is usually very good and I think he'll get better the more games he's played in.

Really pleased to have him and think he gives a midfield that was already pretty good something a bit extra.

Some of his passing yesterday really was a cut above.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:33 pm

broomo wrote:Interesting to see him start ahead of both Maris and Clarke yesterday and I certainly think he's edged ahead of Lapslie as well.

just to clarify that Nigel Clough explained that Maris and Ollie Clarke did not start because they were both on four yellow cards. He didn’t clarify further but basically one more booking in yesterday’s game would see a suspension. The cut off point is 19 games (ie after yesterday’s game). So they will not now be suspended if they are booked in the 20th game (which is the next league game, against Carlisle).
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:42 pm

by the way, I mentioned in commentary yesterday that a Welsh FA rep was there watching Stirk yesterday. He was quizzing me before the game about how Stirk has been playing.

Stirk last played for Wales U21 in June against Moldova.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby broomo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:39 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
broomo wrote:Interesting to see him start ahead of both Maris and Clarke yesterday and I certainly think he's edged ahead of Lapslie as well.

just to clarify that Nigel Clough explained that Maris and Ollie Clarke did not start because they were both on four yellow cards. He didn’t clarify further but basically one more booking in yesterday’s game would see a suspension. The cut off point is 19 games (ie after yesterday’s game). So they will not now be suspended if they are booked in the 20th game (which is the next league game, against Carlisle).

I made the point fairly badly actually Martin.

I was thinking but didn't type it that it was nice for us to win a game with both first choice central midfielders out, or rested/not risked and then Quinny subbed as well.

4 weeks ago that would have been unthinkable.

Bit of a dilemma coming up for Nige as I don't think all 5 fit into the same side. (laps, quinn, maris, clarke and stirk). We might see Quinn and Stirk sharing the load on the left.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:45 pm

Yes it's good we now have a bit of strength in depth in midfield.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:47 am

The great thing is that we now have the ability to play any formation that we want, because we have the players to do it - not having to make the best fit because of injuries. 3 at the back, flat back 4, holding midfielders, attacking midfielders, one two or three up front - I think we're just as good a team now in any formation that NC decides to play us in.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:14 pm

As others have said after his performances early on when coming on a sub were poor, he started to play well against Rochdale but was then injured for a while.

he is getting better and better and starting show his quality on the ball, he is so composed and when he has time to on the ball, he uses it well.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:30 pm

lifestags wrote:As others have said after his performances early on when coming on a sub were poor, he started to play well against Rochdale but was then injured for a while.

he is getting better and better and starting show his quality on the ball, he is so composed and when he has time to on the ball, he uses it well.

It is also worth noting that we have had other young kids from higher clubs who have really struggled to impose themselves in midfield, I think of the Swansea player Adam King who just looked overwhelmed by the pace and contact when he played for us.
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:34 pm

KKT Is Stirk a automatic starter possibly not, got that wrong
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:47 pm

credit to young Stirk, he’s on point atm, let’s hope his form continues for Saturday when we hit Donkey town
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum