{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Eight new faces on Clough summer shopping list

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Eight new faces on Clough summer shopping list

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon May 03, 2021 1:41 pm

If there is a group of young players (22 and under) who will be in and around the first team, I’d go for:

Law
Sinclair
James Clarke
Stone
Knowles
O’Driscoll

These would be in addition to 17/18 first team pro’s

I’d possibly keep Ward, but get him out on loan in the National league if possible
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Mon May 03, 2021 2:01 pm

BH_Stag wrote:McLaughlin also capable of filling in for Maris in that deeper role, or the Quinn role on the left. He had a few games in midfield not too long ago and looked OK. The fact McLaughlin is capable of filling in a few positions like that is why he’s been kept on.

Personally I’d loan out Charsley if we can and replace him with somebody who is more of a natural CM and can challenge for the first team more but it’s not something I’m expecting. At the minute Charsley probably represents a 7th choice CM for me behind Lapslie, Clarke, Maris, Quinn, McLaughlin & Law.

I expect us to sign better players than Charsley in the attacking areas as well so I’m not really sure where he will feature regularly. After a year of watching him I still couldn’t peg Charsley as an effective wide man in a front three or a strong enough CM.

I think that is really harsh on Charsley he has been involved in 9 goal involvements and scored 7 himself. His form dropped off since he signed his new contract but there is a good player there.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon May 03, 2021 2:17 pm

lifestags wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:McLaughlin also capable of filling in for Maris in that deeper role, or the Quinn role on the left. He had a few games in midfield not too long ago and looked OK. The fact McLaughlin is capable of filling in a few positions like that is why he’s been kept on.

Personally I’d loan out Charsley if we can and replace him with somebody who is more of a natural CM and can challenge for the first team more but it’s not something I’m expecting. At the minute Charsley probably represents a 7th choice CM for me behind Lapslie, Clarke, Maris, Quinn, McLaughlin & Law.

I expect us to sign better players than Charsley in the attacking areas as well so I’m not really sure where he will feature regularly. After a year of watching him I still couldn’t peg Charsley as an effective wide man in a front three or a strong enough CM.

I think that is really harsh on Charsley he has been involved in 9 goal involvements and scored 7 himself. His form dropped off since he signed his new contract but there is a good player there.

Agreed, he’s been massively written off by a large amount of fans and I don’t see the justification .
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Mon May 03, 2021 2:28 pm

I agree on Charsley. I’m not sure what folk have against him?

He’s a young player with a high work rate who gets involved in scoring and providing goals. He’s been played out of position for most of the season too!

He’s not starting ahead of Lapslie, Maris, Quinn or Clarke but is a really good option to spell them if they are unavailable
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon May 03, 2021 3:15 pm

Its not a case of having something against him, just looking at the situation now that’s how I see it. He had a steady start to the season and pitched in with some goals in a side that was playing really poorly that’s fair enough - can’t knock him that for that, but it’s just my opinion that he’s currently dropped well down the pecking order in midfield since Law has started to feature more heavily and the signing of Quinn. I don’t think that can be argued with really. Some may put him ahead of McLaughlin and Law in midfield.. not for me at the moment but things can change I suppose.

On the argument that he’s played out of position... what is his best position? He had his best spell on the right of a front 3 I think but even then I don’t think that’s a natural position for him and moving forwards I just think we need better in that role. I think we’d be underwhelmed if we lined up in August with Charsley starting wide right? Is he then enough of an impact player to have a big effect off the bench? I’m not sure. People may see that as harsh, but these are things that we will need to think about - we’ve finished where we have for a reason and changes do need to be made. We have a lot of competition in midfield and it’s going to be the same up top as the squad takes shape for next season.

For what it’s worth, I think he will still be with the squad due to the new deal he got and we need to try and find value in that. I don’t have an issue with him being with the squad, his energy is valuable at times. This just comes off the back of discussing whether or not we would need another midfielder bringing in and whether one can be accommodated in the squad.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Mansf1eld » Mon May 03, 2021 3:52 pm

I'd swap Jamie Reid tomorrow for someone like Paul McCallum. Someone who let's the ball bounce off of them vs natural finisher.
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon May 03, 2021 4:01 pm

46 games plus cup games make a long season and a strong squad is needed, most players at the club now know expectations and it means players having a role to fill.
Charsley having made 41 appearances position right midfield or right wing could have a role to play going forward, perhaps in the Lapslie role , he cant play 50 plus games
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 03, 2021 4:09 pm

Everybody will start with a clean slate next season as always. Some players may even respond better to playing in front of crowds. Would we have dropped as many defensive clangers if the Stags fans had been screaming at defenders to clear it? It will be nice to go to live matches again and find out.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon May 03, 2021 4:50 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Everybody will start with a clean slate next season as always. Some players may even respond better to playing in front of crowds. Would we have dropped as many defensive clangers if the Stags fans had been screaming at defenders to clear it? It will be nice to go to live matches again and find out.

Yes thanks Boris for vaccine rollout
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 03, 2021 5:04 pm

You need to read your own rules and guidelines Mr Moderator!! :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon May 03, 2021 5:30 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:You need to read your own rules and guidelines Mr Moderator!! :lol:

Relevant and an open goal, even Reid would have scored it. :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue May 04, 2021 6:39 pm

lifestags wrote:

Personally I think despite a drop in form he offers more than Law .

He's often been played out of position and brought on towards the end of games .

Law has also had a dip in form from when he was first introduced. Technically good but for me just too slow to play the role asked of him .

All about opinions . Looks like they will both be here but I'm not convinced either will start matches with a fully fit midfield.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 pm

Clough reiterating again today that after 6-8 new signings, solid experienced pros rather than flashy, headline signings.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 05, 2021 12:41 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Clough reiterating again today that after 6-8 new signings, solid experienced pros rather than flashy, headline signings.

Wonder how long it'll be until one of the new signings is considered

a) a crock

b)here for a last payday

c) not good enough before kicking a ball for us

d) all of the above

:lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 05, 2021 1:16 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Clough reiterating again today that after 6-8 new signings, solid experienced pros rather than flashy, headline signings.

a) a crock

b)here for a last payday

d) all of the above

i personally favour “legs have gone”
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 05, 2021 1:57 pm

One thing is for sure, there’s going to be a boo boy in there
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed May 05, 2021 2:13 pm

He makes a good point about the best players in this league being the experienced heads and something we've needed more of the last few years
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed May 05, 2021 2:44 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

a) a crock

b)here for a last payday

d) all of the above

You favour "I am not sure about this but I will trust the gaffer"
and then 6 months later when he makes a mistake "I was never sure about him, if I am honest" :lol:
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 05, 2021 3:14 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

a) a crock

b)here for a last payday

d) all of the above

You favour "I am not sure about this but I will trust the gaffer"
and then 6 months later when he makes a mistake "I was never sure about him, if I am honest" :lol:

that’s absolutely spot on mate, see you next season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed May 05, 2021 3:18 pm

I cannot wait. I feel so positive about next season, even if it is not automatic promotion, we are going to see good football and some homegrown kids which is a brilliant starting point
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 05, 2021 3:33 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:I cannot wait. I feel so positive about next season, even if it is not automatic promotion, we are going to see good football and some homegrown kids which is a brilliant starting point

i’ll remind you of this post around November time lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed May 05, 2021 4:37 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

a) a crock

b)here for a last payday

d) all of the above

To be fair none of these will happen until after the signing on interview, where will be treated to , one or all of these one liners .

It's a massive club that's going places.

Once the gaffer told me of his plans I can't wait to be part of it

The facilities here are second to none.

I know (insert player name) and he told me they are a great bunch of lads.

I was going to sign for Chesterfield but they furloughed me .

I've probably missed a couple more
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 05, 2021 4:39 pm

victor A block wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

a) a crock

b)here for a last payday

d) all of the above

To be fair none of these will happen until after the signing on interview, where will be treated to , one or all of these one liners .

It's a massive club that's going places.

Once the gaffer told me of his plans I can't wait to be part of it

The facilities here are second to none.

I know (insert player name) and he told me they are a great bunch of lads.

I've probably missed a couple more

Of course players use clichés in interviews, just like managers often do. Imagine if a new signing had said 'Well Mansfield offered me more money than Tranmere, so that's why I signed'. Everyone would be fuming. I am excited to see who we bring in though and wont write them off after a poor first half in a friendly :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed May 05, 2021 8:56 pm

:D Hoping next season could be a joyful one to remember and our new faces could turn out to be our stars .

Cannot wait to get going :D

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Thu May 06, 2021 12:07 pm

The One wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Everybody will start with a clean slate next season as always. Some players may even respond better to playing in front of crowds. Would we have dropped as many defensive clangers if the Stags fans had been screaming at defenders to clear it? It will be nice to go to live matches again and find out.

Yes thanks Boris for vaccine rollout

I once had a post deleted on here for saying Ben Bradley wasn't the sort of man we want associating with the club, on a thread where it was about Ben Bradley mentioning us in Parliament. Yet this is allowed? Why?
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum