{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A Thread About Notts County

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: A Thread About Conference Club Notts County

Postby Big yella » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:06 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talksport.com/football/fa-cup/659667/brentford-data-revolution-england-smartest-club-championship-leicester-fa-cup/amp/

Who has the most persuasive argument?

Brentford’s Oxford educated physics graduate owner who has turned over over £120m in profit whilst seeing his club go from League 1 regulars to championship promotion contenders

Or

Big Yella

Ah yes, because only a stats based side has ever risen from League 1 to the top of the Championship.

Well apart from Bournemouth, Barnsley (pre stats), Bradford, Bolton, Blackpool who all actually went to the Premier League and that’s just the B’s.

Find an underrated player and develop him into a more valuable player, revolutionary idea. Absolute game changer that one.

Imagine what young Cloughies dad could have achieved if he’d have thought of something like that. He might even have conquered Europe. Oh wait!
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:42 pm

Big yella wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/talksport.com/football/fa-cup/659667/brentford-data-revolution-england-smartest-club-championship-leicester-fa-cup/amp/

Brentford’s Oxford educated physics graduate owner who has turned over over £120m in profit whilst seeing his club go from League 1 regulars to championship promotion contenders

Or

Big Yella

Ah yes, because only a stats based side has ever risen from League 1 to the top of the Championship.

Well apart from Bournemouth, Barnsley (pre stats), Bradford, Bolton, Blackpool who all actually went to the Premier League and that’s just the B’s.

Find an underrated player and develop him into a more valuable player, revolutionary idea. Absolute game changer that one.

Imagine what young Cloughies dad could have achieved if he’d have thought of something like that. He might even have conquered Europe. Oh wait!

It’s mad that you think clubs don’t use stats and data. Every single club does. How do you find an underrated player? Using stats.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Hjeldefan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:08 pm

Big yella wrote:

Or

Big Yella

Why do you think managers from the 'old school' are slowly dying out? This kind of attitude.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:09 pm

Hardy paying creditors 750k of the 15 million he owes
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sat May 01, 2021 1:10 pm

mousemousemouse wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Or

Big Yella

It’s mad that you think clubs don’t use stats and data. Every single club does. How do you find an underrated player? Using stats.

I wonder how Clough Snr managed to find Roy Keane and buy him for £47,000 and sell him for a British record £3.75m without a dedicated stats department. Or how Shankly found Keegan, training in a car park, for £33,000 and again set a then British record deal when he sold him.

Stato’s seem to think that the idea of buying players cheap, making them better and selling them at a profit is a new revolutionary phenomenon that is only possible because of some nerd crunching numbers.

Just like those who think no other formation or variation of 4-4-2 was played before Guardiola and Mourinho graced the world with their presence, they are deluded.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat May 01, 2021 1:20 pm

Data analysis just makes scouting easier, and allows clubs who may not have the budget to scout overseas or obscure leagues identify talent.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Sat May 01, 2021 2:29 pm

Pies a goal down, Smith scoring.
BoughtonStag71
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat May 01, 2021 2:59 pm

BoughtonStag71 wrote:Pies a goal down, Smith scoring.

1-1 now at HT
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat May 01, 2021 4:44 pm

massive result that for notts, being able to hold altrincham to a draw :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Sat May 01, 2021 9:28 pm

Big yella wrote:
mousemousemouse wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Or

Big Yella

I wonder how Clough Snr managed to find Roy Keane and buy him for £47,000 and sell him for a British record £3.75m without a dedicated stats department. Or how Shankly found Keegan, training in a car park, for £33,000 and again set a then British record deal when he sold him.

Stato’s seem to think that the idea of buying players cheap, making them better and selling them at a profit is a new revolutionary phenomenon that is only possible because of some nerd crunching numbers.

Just like those who think no other formation or variation of 4-4-2 was played before Guardiola and Mourinho graced the world with their presence, they are deluded.

So you think it’s all just hope and glory when signing a player, do you? That it’s based on guess work? You don’t need a stat department for the basic stuff lol

Stats are also things like how many goals someone scores. It’s just a way to evaluate a players performance. Times change my man, keep up
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sun May 02, 2021 1:09 am

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun May 02, 2021 6:33 am

Wonder if Clownty's owners are thinking, 'what the cluck have we done :cry: ’ in signing this Burchnall bloke.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun May 02, 2021 12:10 pm

Spiritater wrote:Wonder if Clownty's owners are thinking, 'what the cluck have we done :cry: ’ in signing this Burchnall bloke.

His stats are great.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun May 02, 2021 8:28 pm

Dan wrote:

oh thats lovely.. They will both have decent careers in the game
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun May 02, 2021 11:59 pm

Thanks for the kind comments all. I had a hunch something like that might happen at the end so I was fixed on them at full time. They chatted for a while afterwards.

After the game I was chatting with Ritchie Sutton when Ali came over to chat too. Ritchie says to me “who is your favourite Mansfield player out of me and him?” :lol: :lol: Luckily I got away without answering as the manager came out looking for them :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon May 03, 2021 4:51 pm

Just sacked their assistant head coach...

New gaffer chucking others under the bus?
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon May 03, 2021 4:52 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Just sacked their assistant head coach...

Seems like it, disastrous appointment already
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon May 03, 2021 4:57 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

making way for Sven’s return :lol:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Mon May 03, 2021 5:09 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

making way for Sven’s return :lol:

Sven won’t return until Hooters is fully open
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Big yella » Mon May 03, 2021 5:13 pm

Perhaps his stats weren't good enough?

Not a high enough butt kissing ratio.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 03, 2021 6:54 pm

Statement from Maurice Ross following his departure from Notts County:
“During Saturday’s match at Altrincham, I made an ill-judged comment to a member of our playing staff which has led to my departure from the club.
I deeply regret the comment, which is not a reflection of the type of person I am, and would like to place on record my apologies to the player in question for the upset I have caused. While it was said in the heat of the moment with no malice intended, it was nevertheless unacceptable and I'm devastated by the impact it's caused.
I would also like to apologise to the club’s board of directors, supporters and Ian Burchnall, all of whom I have enjoyed working with immensely. The club have handled today’s events impeccably and everyone at Meadow Lane has my full support for the rest of the season and beyond.
I will be taking some time to reflect on my actions and learn from this experience before continuing my coaching journey.
Maurice Ross”
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon May 03, 2021 7:06 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Statement from Maurice Ross following his departure from Notts County:
“During Saturday’s match at Altrincham, I made an ill-judged comment to a member of our playing staff which has led to my departure from the club.
I deeply regret the comment, which is not a reflection of the type of person I am, and would like to place on record my apologies to the player in question for the upset I have caused. While it was said in the heat of the moment with no malice intended, it was nevertheless unacceptable and I'm devastated by the impact it's caused.
I would also like to apologise to the club’s board of directors, supporters and Ian Burchnall, all of whom I have enjoyed working with immensely. The club have handled today’s events impeccably and everyone at Meadow Lane has my full support for the rest of the season and beyond.
I will be taking some time to reflect on my actions and learn from this experience before continuing my coaching journey.
Maurice Ross”

My brother, a County season ticket holder, has been making ill-judged comments about the Magpies playing staff for years. Never been sacked though.

It’s funny old game. :o
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue May 04, 2021 3:05 pm

5pm kick-off, Notts Co vs Sutton. Jimmy Knowles starts. I'm going to watch this game (not on the Notts Co stream, it's live on BT Sport)
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yellowstagsfan » Tue May 04, 2021 4:11 pm

Notts 1 up
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue May 04, 2021 4:11 pm

Notts Co 1-0 Sutton, 8 mins. Fine finish by Rodrigues