{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Oldham scorefred sponsored by chance of another double.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Oldham scorefred sponsored by chance of another double.

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 03, 2021 7:28 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Are we keeping Keaton Ward. I thought he's looked good.

The thing with Keaton is he's still young and will develop further. Before he went to Barnsley he was wafer thin and a lot of the time here in the YT he was told he had to increase his muscle mass. Seems to me from viewing yesterday he's bulked out quite a lot.
The days when Liam, Diz, Leroy, Bob and Andy spring to mind. Who would've wanted all those young uns in the team 20 years ago eh, and they clicked together into part of a team that was a joy to watch.
Our current class of 2021 could well do the same, who knows eh. To bin off young lads with a 'I hope not' attitude is too easy.
Nigel will decide ultimately. He knows he's something special with Ty and a 'steady' with Jason who'll fill in in multiple positions. Keaton is worth a punt, and Keaton would play for nothig to prove his point and get a chance.
Additions like we got when Les came 20 years ago are crucial as the glue to bind the young uns into a team with experience, but Geirge is also young too, it maybe we have another season to remember coming up.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon May 03, 2021 8:26 am

To keep three for the squad at the end of one season is higher than we have done in ages, there are others to consider including Jimmy Knowles so it looks like a good news story
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 03, 2021 4:08 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MOTG » Mon May 03, 2021 5:12 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Excellent performance by the Stags apart from the comedy of errors for the goal which was the only thing Aidan Stone and Ryan Sweeney did wrong all game. Could have been 7-0 up at half time with hat-tricks from Tyrese Sinclair and Jamie Reid. I counted 13 possible goalscoring opportunities for the Stags in the first half and 20 in total.

George Maris was my MOM. He ran the show in midfield (79 touches) and was involved in three of the four goals. He also made a great defensive block in the 2nd half. Stephen McLaughlin and Stephen Quinn combined very well again down the left as illustrated by the second goal and McLaughlin demonstrated his very useful versatility by easily moving into midfield when Jayden Charles came on. George Lapslie (8 league goals) showed that he is our best goalscoring midfield player since Ben Whiteman (7 goals), Lee Stevenson (11 goals) and Liam Lawrence (19 goals) by bagging another two goals. Keaton Ward had a very good debut in midfield and did enough to be given a chance next season.

Tyrese Sinclair was a constant menace up front. He could have had a hat-trick in the first half and had a very good penalty shout. Jamie Reid played really well apart from sticking the ball in the back of the net. He really deserved his goal and got the assist for the first goal. He could have scored five if he had taken his chances. I think it is worth giving him another go as a back up striker next season.

James Perch had a very solid game at the back and so did Ryan Sweeney apart from his error. Kellan Gordon also gave us the option of getting crosses in from the right as well as left.

We totally outplayed Oldham who have some good players and deserved to win by more goals. Nicky Adams had a poor game for Oldham. He won't be happy playing under Keith Curle.

If we can sign a few more quality players then we will be a force to be reckoned with next season.

Fully agree with your comments
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 pm

Keith Curle Post Match Interview.

You may need to create an Oldham iFollow account to watch it (just make up an email address)

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2 ... nsfield-a/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 04, 2021 10:43 am

Three players in team of the day.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue May 04, 2021 12:34 pm

And Jamie Reid one of them? The lunatics really have taken over the asylum. Really sorry but I simply don't get that.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 04, 2021 12:41 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:And Jamie Reid one of them? The lunatics really have taken over the asylum. Really sorry but I simply don't get that.

One goal, one assist, set up four chances.

Missed a few too, but give the credit for an effective performance. He's had plenty of stick when he hasn't performed.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue May 04, 2021 12:44 pm

Reid played ok on Saturday. But I’m very surprised that there isn’t two strikers who played better
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 04, 2021 12:47 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Reid played ok on Saturday. But I’m very surprised that there isn’t two strikers who played better

There was, he's in a front three :lol:

But as with most of the 'teams of the week', it's taken from stats based website Fotmob, so they'll just look at the numbers rather than every aspect of Reid's performance.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue May 04, 2021 1:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Reid played ok on Saturday. But I’m very surprised that there isn’t two strikers who played better

There was, he's in a front three :lol:

But as with most of the 'teams of the week', it's taken from stats based website Fotmob, so they'll just look at the numbers rather than every aspect of Reid's performance.

:lol: That’ll teach me!
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue May 04, 2021 1:23 pm

The whole team did a good job on Sat, and showed our problems in both areas, and we still went on to win comfortably, 3 players in team of the day what is there not to like
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue May 04, 2021 2:06 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:And Jamie Reid one of them? The lunatics really have taken over the asylum. Really sorry but I simply don't get that.

He got a goal and assist. You have very high expectations to expect more than that.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 04, 2021 2:46 pm

bear 73 wrote:The whole team did a good job on Sat, and showed our problems in both areas, and we still went on to win comfortably, 3 players in team of the day what is there not to like

I think it's great. Well done to all of them.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue May 04, 2021 2:57 pm

James wrote:

He got a goal and assist. You have very high expectations to expect more than that.

He tapped in from 6 yards in the final minutes when they'd given up. He missed badly on other occasions and doesn't win anything in the air. I will accept he held up better than he has previously rather than just lose the ball immediately but that's not a very high bar to surpass
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby James » Tue May 04, 2021 3:15 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
James wrote:

He tapped in from 6 yards in the final minutes when they'd given up. He missed badly on other occasions and doesn't win anything in the air. I will accept he held up better than he has previously rather than just lose the ball immediately but that's not a very high bar to surpass

If he'd have missed that chance i am going to presume you wouldn't have mentioned it then?

By no means am i saying Reid is good enough, because i don't think he is, but he played well on Saturday and deserves credit for that. Some, like yourselves, have already made your mind up on his performance before a ball is even kicked most weeks.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 04, 2021 3:24 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
James wrote:

Come on Chris! He won nothing in the air? So what? We had the ball for the entire game and created 27 shots on goal, which he played a part in.

Nobody is saying he’s the best thing since sliced bread, or even that he’s any good at all, but he contributed well on Saturday. To say anything else is just being stubborn.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 04, 2021 3:32 pm

The Stags have a 35.5% win rate when Jamie Reid has started this season with an average of 1.42 points per start which is the second highest after George Lapslie (38.5% and 1.54 points per start)

We have also won 11 of the 31 games he has started which is the joint highest with George Maris.

He's worth another crack next season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Tue May 04, 2021 3:37 pm

A player who moves up after scoring a lot in none league doesn’t always hit the ground running. Vardy is a much better player now than when he first moved up.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby chip63 » Tue May 04, 2021 6:18 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The Stags have a 35.5% win rate when Jamie Reid has started this season with an average of 1.42 points per start which is the second highest after George Lapslie (38.5% and 1.54 points per start)

We have also won 11 of the 31 games he has started which is the joint highest with George Maris.

While I've seen some really good football at times from him I think we could and will do better, maybe a loan to another league 2 club til January just In case he reaches his potential.

You could also say we've not won in 20 of the 31 he started and he's only scored 6 goals with 40% shot accuracy and 10% goal conversion, that's just not good enough and he's had plenty of chances to improve.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue May 04, 2021 10:50 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
James wrote:

Come on Chris! He won nothing in the air? So what? We had the ball for the entire game and created 27 shots on goal, which he played a part in.

Nobody is saying he’s the best thing since sliced bread, or even that he’s any good at all, but he contributed well on Saturday. To say anything else is just being stubborn.

What was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed May 05, 2021 6:02 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:The Stags have a 35.5% win rate when Jamie Reid has started this season with an average of 1.42 points per start which is the second highest after George Lapslie (38.5% and 1.54 points per start)

Not as the main striker.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed May 05, 2021 6:34 am

I don’t think Nigel has a main striker from what I’ve seen so far.

I think in the main we will see a busy front three with a number chipping in 10-15 goals. I actually think we will see a lot more of Tyrese next year
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed May 05, 2021 7:02 am

James wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
James wrote:

If he'd have missed that chance i am going to presume you wouldn't have mentioned it then?

By no means am i saying Reid is good enough, because i don't think he is, but he played well on Saturday and deserves credit for that. Some, like yourselves, have already made your mind up on his performance before a ball is even kicked most weeks.

Because based on poor performance after poor performance the bar is lowered sufficiently so that anything is hailed as an improved display. Assuming there are some, maybe like those who have criticised my comment, that have scored him decently why is it that he is still usually bottom...or at least in the bottom 2 or 3 ....in match ratings.....a lot of others must be of the same opinion as myself to counteract those positive ratings.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 05, 2021 8:39 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
James wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
James wrote:

Because based on poor performance after poor performance the bar is lowered sufficiently so that anything is hailed as an improved display. Assuming there are some, maybe like those who have criticised my comment, that have scored him decently why is it that he is still usually bottom...or at least in the bottom 2 or 3 ....in match ratings.....a lot of others must be of the same opinion as myself to counteract those positive ratings.

Jesus...
We know Reid isn't a world beater, but still when he has a good game you just say it and move on. There's always a player like this at Mansfield, they get a reputation of not being good enough, they'll have a good game and people still refuse to give players credit.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum