{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Nigel Clough; Oldham Athletic post match & match highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Nigel Clough; Oldham Athletic post match & match highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sun May 02, 2021 12:02 am

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Nigel Clough; Oldham Athletic post match & match highlig

Postby Amber Andy » Sun May 02, 2021 5:52 am

It's encouraging to know that the eight summer targets remain in sight.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun May 02, 2021 6:54 am

Unfortunately for some, as well as they've performed recently they'll be looking for other clubs in the Summer. There's a reason we wallow where we do and Nigel wants to move forward the club forward and not tread water.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:16 am

Yep Stone's fault.

Sky have got a snippet https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/1 ... ld-defence which shows the mix up.

If Stone came out quickly to it then Stone can gather it easily. If Stone stayed on his line then Sweeney shepherds it out.

Actually it looks like Dearnley pushes Sweeney in the back pushing him into Stone. So perhaps it's neithers fault and should have been a foul?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun May 02, 2021 7:18 am

Spiritater wrote:Unfortunately for some, as well as they've performed recently they'll be looking for other clubs in the Summer. There's a reason we wallow where we do and Nigel wants to move forward the club forward and not tread water.

Agreed, and part of the issue for some is lack of consistency. Sweeney, for example, can be so reliable and then unexpectedly cost you a goal or cause a panic through dopey play or switching off and it looks as though it will cost him his place at the club
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun May 02, 2021 7:29 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Unfortunately for some, as well as they've performed recently they'll be looking for other clubs in the Summer. There's a reason we wallow where we do and Nigel wants to move forward the club forward and not tread water.

Agreed, and part of the issue for some is lack of consistency. Sweeney, for example, can be so reliable and then unexpectedly cost you a goal or cause a panic through dopey play or switching off and it looks as though it will cost him his place at the club

It might be that they were told, ‘don’t give thrown ins away near our corner flag’, and ‘don’t pass back to keeper on bobbly pitch’ so Sweeney being that thick takes that on board and makes the situation worse than giving a throw in away. He just needs to use common sense.

It’s the same regarding Stone, his instruction was ‘don’t come out and collide with the defender who has the ball under control’ Again taking instructions too literally.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun May 02, 2021 8:14 am

Sweeney was shielding the ball and it was relatively easy for Stone to come out and smother it . Unfortunately he dithered and when he did finally try to collect made a real hash of it .
He dithered on the penalty at Salford last week as well .
It looks like Sweeney may not get offered new terms . I don't think it will b because of that as the manager is clear whose fault it was.
Personally if the terms were right for the club , I would keep him as a back up centre half .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Sun May 02, 2021 8:23 am

Sweeney is a liability like Matt Preston so he does not deserve a new contract. Goodbye
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 02, 2021 8:26 am

It might be that, like Mal, Sweeney wants to move on to other things. He’ll have been here three seasons, and it wasn’t that long ago he was being monitored by teams at a higher level.

I still think he’ll go on to have a good career if he can cut out the mistakes.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Sun May 02, 2021 8:29 am

MTFCMusings wrote:It might be that, like Mal, Sweeney wants to move on to other things. He’ll have been here three seasons, and it wasn’t that long ago he was being monitored by teams at a higher level.

Don’t think so! He may end up in the National League as he is not good as Football League defender.
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun May 02, 2021 8:44 am

smulls wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:It might be that, like Mal, Sweeney wants to move on to other things. He’ll have been here three seasons, and it wasn’t that long ago he was being monitored by teams at a higher level.

Don’t think so! He may end up in the National League as he is not good as Football League defender.

Id put money on it that if Sweeney goes, if won't be to a division below
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun May 02, 2021 8:53 am

Ryan Sweeney is easily good enough to play in the EFL and aim for a League 1 club. He's also a left sided centre half who is not bad on the ball and they are not easy to find. He can dominate players in the air. He is the 3rd top rated Stags player on whoscored. His main problem, like a lot of defenders, is making daft mistakes and switching off at crucial times by not marking his man tightly enough or not getting close enough to him to get a block in.

I've always expected Ryan Sweeney to leave as he was a DF signing from a Championship club, Stoke City, so I expect him to be on big wages. Interesting that NC says that Mansfield Town have been "good payers without doubt" but he now wants "value for money and ideals" and players have to be "realistic".
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sun May 02, 2021 8:58 am

victor A block wrote:Sweeney was shielding the ball and it was relatively easy for Stone to come out and smother it . Unfortunately he dithered and when he did finally try to collect made a real hash of it .
He dithered on the penalty at Salford last week as well .
It looks like Sweeney may not get offered new terms . I don't think it will b because of that as the manager is clear whose fault it was.
Personally if the terms were right for the club , I would keep him as a back up centre half .

Agree I thought this at the time without any replay. I suppose under different circumstances in a game that really meant something Sweeney could and should have just put the ball out for a throw in, but in that game yesterday at that time he did the right thing and Stone had ample time to come out and smoother the ball.

Don’t think Sweeney deserved the criticism he got off Martin in commentary at the time, Stones judgement of when to come off his line has been suspect all season
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun May 02, 2021 9:07 am

you've got to be kidding that Sweeney did not deserve criticism for the goal. He could have easily cleared (preferably) or played back to Stone. I agree that Stone could have done better too as I said in my report.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Sun May 02, 2021 9:16 am

Martin Shaw wrote:you've got to be kidding that Sweeney did not deserve criticism for the goal. He could have easily cleared (preferably) or played back to Stone. I agree that Stone could have done better too as I said in my report.

Totally agree Martin, Sweeney had enough time to choose where to clear the ball to. Poor defending.
BoughtonStag71
First Team
First Team

Postby Kenwood » Sun May 02, 2021 9:26 am

Martin Shaw wrote:you've got to be kidding that Sweeney did not deserve criticism for the goal. He could have easily cleared (preferably) or played back to Stone. I agree that Stone could have done better too as I said in my report.

Ok he deserved some criticism being involved in the mix up, but in my opinion at the time and NC apparently after the game he wasn’t the main culprit, something somebody listening to the commentary at the time would not have gained
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun May 02, 2021 9:38 am

smulls wrote:

Disagree. He’s had more good games than bad for us, and usually in those ‘bad’ games he plays perfectly well until making a mistake. He’s not the same as Preston, whose whole performances tailed off rather than purely making errors.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun May 02, 2021 9:48 am

Nigel said, after the Rawson collision, that the players do not communicate enough. This is an example of it. A clip to show all those that kick a ball from the age of ten.

If the Keeper doesn’t tell you where he wants it, put it out and defend the next phase, whether it be a throw in or goal kick. Sod waiting for it, deal with it and give the keeper an almighty round of abuse, the sort of language Bellwiff would be proud of, afterwards.

If he does tell you, stick it exactly there or if you don’t hear him clear it. Dithering doesn’t help.

Those two dithered and neither took responsibility so they both take the blame.

In short if those two were after the same woman in a night club it’s no wonder that the lad from Oldham walked out with her for the kebab and taxi home.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun May 02, 2021 10:15 am

The defence is a nightmare Gordon, Rawson , Sweeney, Stone, Stech, Macloughlin, Benning , Menayese, when he was here, How many points have we lost in bad decision making,
And yet all have had outstanding games, somewhere their is a answer and perhaps possibly 5 departing sends it own message, we need to do better.
Leaves one question will Menayese and Stech see out there contract, with 8 coming in i doubt it
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun May 02, 2021 10:32 am

bear 73 wrote:The defence is a nightmare Gordon, Rawson , Sweeney, Stone, Stech, Macloughlin, Benning , Menayese, when he was here, How many points have we lost in bad decision making,
And yet all have had outstanding games, somewhere their is a answer and perhaps possibly 5 departing sends it own message, we need to do better.
Leaves one question will Menayese and Stech see out there contract, with 8 coming in i doubt it

As a unit they have been a liability, clear the lot out
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun May 02, 2021 10:35 am

Yes it was a catastrophe. However, both are relatively young players. It happens move on.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun May 02, 2021 10:39 am

Amber Andy wrote:Yes it was a catastrophe. However, both are relatively young players. It happens move on.

hopefully they move on !, think Cloughie rates Faz so think he will be the only surviver
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sun May 02, 2021 1:54 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:

Nigel said, after the Rawson collision, that the players do not communicate enough. This is an example of it. A clip to show all those that kick a ball from the age of ten.

If the Keeper doesn’t tell you where he wants it, put it out and defend the next phase, whether it be a throw in or goal kick. Sod waiting for it, deal with it and give the keeper an almighty round of abuse, the sort of language Bellwiff would be proud of, afterwards.

If he does tell you, stick it exactly there or if you don’t hear him clear it. Dithering doesn’t help.

Those two dithered and neither took responsibility so they both take the blame.

In short if those two were after the same woman in a night club it’s no wonder that the lad from Oldham walked out with her for the kebab and taxi home.

Spot on, Sweeney had control of the ball and situation and if Stone wasn't coming out he could have easily cleared the ball and avoided the situation. He didn't want to take responsibility and Stone came out too late when he probably should have just stayed.

We've been lacking a real leader at the back for many seasons, someone who would scream and shout marshalling the back line to avoid any mistakes like that. I know most will have Chief down as that but when it mattered our defence fell to pot.

Sweeney should be released IMO, he has been part of a poor defence for the last 2 seasons and probably is on decent money representing a poor value for money. If we're to overhaul the back line there's not much room for any other's staying with Gordon, O'Keefe, Rawson, Perch, Meyanese and Mcauglin all under contract.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun May 02, 2021 2:22 pm

Sweeney at fault. As a defender you don’t just keep waiting, you clear it!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun May 02, 2021 4:30 pm

I used to tell my under 8’s “if in doubt kick it out”, you’re taught that when you’re younger so for me it was a Sweeney error. I’d still keep him though. I thought he did well setting up one of the goals.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum