{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Eight new faces on Clough summer shopping list

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Eight new faces on Clough summer shopping list

Postby lifestags » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:37 am

8 new players, my guess will be

1 GK (I think he may either keep stone or use a YT as a bench GK)
RB
CB
CB
LB
Striker
Striker
Wingerr/Striker.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:03 am

Sedgwick wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkstag wrote:It’s easy to forget Sinclair and Law are 21 and 22. Really depends how you define youngsters.

Although contracted you could see Menayese O’Keefe and O’Driscoll moving on.

Must be a very stressful time to be a lge2 footballer

If Menayese and O'Keefe do leave I'm sure we'll get a fee for them

O'keefe must have a club lined up, a club came close to getting him on loan in January so maybe who ever it was have sorted it now on loan or for a fee.

Were him and rollin given two year deals??!

Somewhat of a rumour but Stech and Stone may both be going

I'm just assuming they got two year deals, I could be wrong though
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:08 am

Out of contract June 2021.....
Pardington, Stone, Sweeney, Wright, Sir Mal, Charles, Riley, Jamie Clarke, Quinn, Ward, Mcaughlin.

June 2022....
Stetch, Rawson, Charlsey, Perch, Ollie Clarke, Maris, Okeefe, Law, Sinclair, Reid, Bowery.

June 2023...
Gordon, Lapslie.

Think these are correct.

Bowery edited,
Last edited by chip63 on Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:44 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Hitchcocks size 10s » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:04 am

chip63 wrote:Out of contract June 2021.....
Pardington, Stone, Sweeney, Wright, Sir Mal, Charles, Riley, Jamie Clarke, Quinn, Ward, Mcaughlin, Bowery.

June 2022....
Stetch, Rawson, Charlsey, Perch, Ollie Clarke, Maris, Okeefe, Law, Sinclair, Reid.

June 2023...
Gordon, Lapslie.

Think these are correct.

What about O,Driscoll, did he go out on loan to an Irish club, or did it end up a permanent move.
Hitchcocks size 10s
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:06 am

O’Driscoll and Menayese both contracted till 2022 also.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:07 am

chip63 wrote:Out of contract June 2021.....
Pardington, Stone, Sweeney, Wright, Sir Mal, Charles, Riley, Jamie Clarke, Quinn, Ward, Mcaughlin, Bowery.

June 2022....
Stetch, Rawson, Charlsey, Perch, Ollie Clarke, Maris, Okeefe, Law, Sinclair, Reid.

June 2023...
Gordon, Lapslie.

Think these are correct.

I think only Stone and Charles (in a youth capacity) will be kept from those out of contract. Quinn isn't our player as he's on loan but I'm fairly certain he will sign for us. Clough has already said Riley will be invited to train in pre-season but with Gordon and Perch contracted I can't see us signing another out and out RB.

Sweeney will be on decent money and given his performances won't represent good value when trying to re-build the back line IMO. Mcaughlin has played well but he only signed of a short-term deal and still lives near Southend so I think he will want to move closer to home. The others speak for themselves and haven't featured.

From those under contract I think we'll look to move Stech, Meyanese, O'Driscoll and O'Keefe out immediately. If we're not confident of being able to shift Stech we may need to release Stone to balance things out though. I can see Charlsley, Reid, Law and Sinclair ending up out on loan next season if we bring in some real quality players.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:10 am

No doubt the first on Nidge's list of 8 are Quinn, Brayford and Akins which I imagine will all happen now Burton have stayed up and want to continue to rebuild.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:14 am

How on earth did these players bag two year deals??!

Being stuck with Menyese O'Driscoll, O'Keefe and Reid wouldn't be a huge disaster, clubs will take them on loan and they won't be on insane wages

Pardington, Stone, Sweeney, Wright, Sir Mal, Charles, Riley, Jamie Clarke, Ward, Mcaughlin all leaving will do us some good.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:15 am

AlanStag wrote:No doubt the first on Nidge's list of 8 are Quinn, Brayford and Akins which I imagine will all happen now Burton have stayed up and want to continue to rebuild.

Brayford for Sweeney
Akins for Reid

Already a massive improvement on paper that.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:43 am

MTFCMusings wrote:O’Driscoll and Menayese both contracted till 2022 also.

I think the list of players are those registered by Clough in January to play til the end of season.
Sarjkic was in there but left him out. Knowles is missing too.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:46 am

exciting times ahead, pretty sure the Gaffa’s shopping trolly North of the boarder won’t return empty too
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:57 am

Bet there’s plenty of faces he wishes he could get rid of :lol:

I’m sure what he brings in will be just what’s needed, given what he’s done with this horror show of a squad i look forward to next season
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:12 pm

I’d be amazed if we got Akins now. He could stay in league one easily and even move to another league one club.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:37 pm

AlanStag wrote:No doubt the first on Nidge's list of 8 are Quinn, Brayford and Akins which I imagine will all happen now Burton have stayed up and want to continue to rebuild.

Quinn is out of contract this summer, and i am sure he has enjoyed his time here, and Perch has been a good signing, now Brayford and Akins they have been a big part of Burtons fantastic escape from relegation and are part of folk law in the area, Akins been at Burton 7 years now aged 33 his contract expires june 31st 2021, In his twilight years he will be looking for a 2 year contract, and Burton will fight to retain him, Akins would be a good addition for the Stags and well worth the costs.
Brayford is 34 in December 2021 his contract does not expire untill June 30th 2022, i cannot see Burton letting him go,
Brayford covers full back and central defence, but his age is against him, Brayford and Akins for me would be to costly,
Akins is a utility player fit and even at 33 value for money, Clough is our best bet for this to happen
I am quite confident we can lose 10 players from this squad, with out losing our basic balance and spirit.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:06 pm

bear 73 wrote:

Quinn is out of contract this summer, and i am sure he has enjoyed his time here, and Perch has been a good signing, now Brayford and Akins they have been a big part of Burtons fantastic escape from relegation and are part of folk law in the area, Akins been at Burton 7 years now aged 33 his contract expires june 31st 2021, In his twilight years he will be looking for a 2 year contract, and Burton will fight to retain him, Akins would be a good addition for the Stags and well worth the costs.
Brayford is 34 in December 2021 his contract does not expire untill June 30th 2022, i cannot see Burton letting him go,
Brayford covers full back and central defence, but his age is against him, Brayford and Akins for me would be to costly,
Akins is a utility player fit and even at 33 value for money, Clough is our best bet for this to happen
I am quite confident we can lose 10 players from this squad, with out losing our basic balance and spirit.

I'm basing it on that (purely my view) NC pinned all his hopes on signing both in Jan and would have done if Burton signed their man according to media reports. Now Burton are safe and have all summer to get replacements I can't see what stops the deal any more, I doubt NC's appetite for the deal has subdued probably the opposite given our form since.

We've outbid league 1 clubs plenty of times before where we want a player but I doubt there will be a bidding war for two players coming to the end of their careers. The close connection with Nigel and we're only 30 mins down the road gives us a good chance to ward off other suitors IMO.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:19 pm

Dan wrote:I’d be amazed if we got Akins now. He could stay in league one easily and even move to another league one club.

out of contract isn't he and might fancy working with Nigel again?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:59 pm

Akins and Quinn both live in Sheffield and travelled to Burton together.I can see them being signed for next season.Quinn has impressed me this season.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:03 pm

:D

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:08 pm

Any idea who the man behind Nigel is?

He also appears to be scouting someone and it may be a clue if we have opposition for a signature and which club may be interested in our target.

Also nice to see Nigel wearing his club jacket.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:19 pm

Bear in mind that the eight is just the wish list for the initial stages of negotiation. I guess that several of them will prove impossible to pin down. We may end up with one or none from the list, but the name Clough will help.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:43 pm

Evans list of players was about 28, he'd do well at cheaterfield.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:59 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Any idea who the man behind Nigel is?

He also appears to be scouting someone and it may be a clue if we have opposition for a signature and which club may be interested in our target.

Also nice to see Nigel wearing his club jacket.

I couldn’t believe it when he walked past me and I saw the stags badge on his leg, especially when we were both in Scotland.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:20 pm

geoffhill wrote:Akins and Quinn both live in Sheffield and travelled to Burton together.I can see them being signed for next season.Quinn has impressed me this season.

Can’t stress enough how important it is for us to keep Quinn, he’s been brilliant since he came in.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:00 pm

James wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Akins and Quinn both live in Sheffield and travelled to Burton together.I can see them being signed for next season.Quinn has impressed me this season.

Can’t stress enough how important it is for us to keep Quinn, he’s been brilliant since he came in.

Some people look at age at some footballers and turn off instantly, but Perch and Quinn have been great this season for us.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum